• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 2 - Ending):

... Oh Battler... :'(

Well, I liked that episode less than the first. Beatrice is very entertaining, but it was better when she was a looming presence, an uncertainty. The first episode was more mysterious, had a very anxiogenic atmosphere. The addition of genuine magic made the second episode less interesting in comparison (still entertaining though).

There is a very important scene that was not explained in this episode: the scene where all the siblings and their spouses were in the Chapel with Beatrice, and were saying "I resign". That scene never was explained, and seemed disconnected from the rest of the episode.

I'm also pretty sure the portrait in the ballroom (?) keeps changing. In episode 1, it was Beatrice in her uniform. Same for episode 2, except for the very end where now it has her in her dress. Weird.

As for the tea party... My God. Make it stop.

Last edited:

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm seeing some pretty insane reactions. Apparently alot of Visual Novel readers...are angry that Yuri is getting such a focus this year. Why?! It's crazy. We used to only get a translation for a Yuri game every four years.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Yuri usually gets a free pass from the usual suspects given the subject (Unlike Otome), I'm surprised.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a fast internet connection in my room, guess I'm remote playing all these PS4-exclusive visual novels.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yuri usually gets a free pass from the usual suspects given the subject (Unlike Otome), I'm surprised.
Probably b/c this is yuri that doesn't explicitly pander to them lol

E: MG panel was some weak ass shit. Aksys bringing two Vita physicals in '19 is a power move.

Biggest disappointment: No YU-NO on Vita
Best announcement: Dunno honestly. The Somnium Files wasn't that good. 428 release date was the best I guess

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 3 : Beginning):

Oh. So Beatrice took her name from the previous Beatrice, who looks like the young other witch, but older. Hmmm.

Anyhow, we didn't need any more proof of that, but the Ushiromiya family is really screwed up, and Kinzo was a terrible parent.

Now, there is a question that has been on my mind for some time: what about his spouse, the mother to all of his children? What happened to her? Why did we never see a portrait of her? Was she just treated as a womb and discarded? Did she die young (as it seems she wasn't there to stop her husband from being abusive towards his children)?

... Oh, Eva... :s It seems I was right about each episode focusing on one of the adult. First Natsuhi, then Rosa, now Eva. Episode 4 should be about Kyrie then.

Aside from the buttler, it seems we are back to the first episode's circumstances. The script went back to normal. Maria did get her rose this time, and Eva seems to be the new main point of view, but overall not much has changed this time. Well, things should get hectic soon, as always.

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing some pretty insane reactions. Apparently alot of Visual Novel readers...are angry that Yuri is getting such a focus this year. Why?! It's crazy. We used to only get a translation for a Yuri game every four years.

Where's the yuri VNs

The only new announcement I'm seeing here is Rainbow, which , while cute, isn't really what I'm looking for

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 3 : A touch of red):

Took you long enough to find the simpliest solution: simply make her spill the beans on the existence of a 19th person or not. Although that would mean less mystery.

Oh well, what will be her answer? "On this island, there are only 18 people". What are you going to say to that, BEAAAAATOOOOOOOOO?!

"I refuse".

IT IS ON BITCH!

"There are 19 people or more on this island". Come on, we have come this far, time to lift the veil on that, don't you think, Beato? I knew the red would eventually lead to this. And now, her weapon is turned against her (frankly, it never was a weapon for her: like Battler said, if she says the wrong thing, it would basically lead to her autodestruction).

Oh. She smiles. That's not good. But the BGM is still on, so that's good, right?

"I refuse". Well, no shit. Though it is better that way, it would have spoiled the mystery otherwise. And I would hate to be spoiled that early in the game.
Really, the red is nothing but a spoiler sword. It is better for it to remain sheated.
Hmmm, she claims to have a good reason though.

... Uh. Rosa. What.

Last edited:

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hella happy about the announcements at AX. Was not expecting most of that, although I don't trust JAST to get out the Nitro+Chiral games in a sensible timeframe. >_>

If someone's not into yuri/otome/yaoi and they haven't yet worked out that the world doesn't revolve around them and their interests, they'll kick up a fuss about yuri/otome/yaoi VNs getting more releases this year, even though they already have dozens and dozens of VNs to play (and the share of localizations to look forward to) and the aforementioned 3 genres are historically under-served niches within niches. They're dumb and it's best to ignore them.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost done with Muv-Luv Unlimited, why do I get the feeling that I had more fun with Extra?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 3 : A Link To The Past):

So, there was a Beatrice on this island 20 years ago. With the narration back on track, we finally discover what the adults talked about until midnight.
Damn, that Beatrice is so innocent... Kinzo, you really are a madman to do that to someone.
That doesn't answer yet the question as to whether there are more than 18 people on the island right now.

There are no more than 18 humans on this Rokkenjima.

Oh snap!

Hmmm... "This Rokkenjima"? Why not "on Rokkenjima"? This may imply multiple Rokkenjimas... Either that, or I'm failing at english.

Here comes the new massacre...

Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 3 : Still of the Night - Second day, first twilight):

I really like when the old woman turns out to be a badass.

... Oh boy. When did this Visual Novel turn into Fate Stay Night? Lancer would like its Gaé Bolg/Gungnir back.

Errrr... Beatrice, I think you've overdone it. Battler is broken.

By the power of Schroedinger, let's resume this battle of wits!
It seems I wasn't that far off the mark: it is a battle to assert a new reality.

Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 3 : Second Day - Can a Witch enjoy her tea in peace? - also, Eva's turn):

Seeing Beatrice all mopey and begging for help is a nice change.

Damn. You did it Eva. I'm sucked in. I shouldn't be rooting for her, but daaaaaaamn.

She... did it. She actually did it. Holy shit she did. o_o I thought that would be the end-game, but no, she found it. SHIIIIIIIIT!
That won't end well, will it?

... Oh come on. Now the inner Eva meets Beatrice?
What the fuck. Seriously, I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but damn.

Last edited:

ChairMan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost done with Muv-Luv Unlimited, why do I get the feeling that I had more fun with Extra?
Cause Extra is more straightforward standalone that does exactly what it appears to be, while Unlimited is just a massive tease waiting for something to happen to justify the setting. That's how I felt at least.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 3 : Second Day - Death, death, death, death):

I wanted to call this spoiler "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", but I guess that would have been a bit too spoilerish...

Holy guacamole. EVA Beatrice is... something else. When Beatrice herself realizes that this is going to far (granted, everyone had to tell her this was too much), you know things are ugly. Anyhow, we may have here the seeds of a heel-face turn for later.
Seeing Maria genuinely afraid, scared and in pain, clinging to Beatrice and not understanding why she doesn't help her is heartbreaking.

A witch never break her promises? At this very moment, you're no better than the humans you despise so much.

Oct 25, 2017

My general feeling on Unlimited is that the highs are higher, but the lows are much lower. Particularly because it really wants to have it both ways and play around a bit with a more serious storyline, but also have just as much harem hijinx/silliness thrown in that is way more jarring (while in Extra it all flows together fine). Fortunately Alternative is genuinely great.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm also in the minority that likes Extra more than Unlimited,because Unlimited still has a ton of slice of life,but I feel that those parts aren't as fun as they were in Extra.
But like KuwabaraTheMan said: Alternative is genuinely great and blows them both out of the water.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So... after getting back into it since the end of last week or so, after my 2 month break at the end of a slowly played chapter 1, I finally finished the common route of Chaos;Child.

Maybe the character routes will change things (I'm tempted to take a break as I want to start some other VNs already, but I'll likely play a few of them first at least), and I don't know if I'd be as into some parts if I hadn't played Chaos;Head since it's playing off of it, and picking only negative delusion triggers might have just made me miss some fansevice stuff I'll hate... but personally, with those those caveats in mind, I'm very high on it right now! I really enjoyed both the story itself and the cast of characters, the main character especially. And honestly, it made having played C;H (which I was overall not super fond of) worth it for me; it was really neat to see how it improved on some aspects of that quite a bit, and gave hints only people familiar with it would pick up on, while also messing with expectations.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to Dies irae? Did Light get tired of apologizing to backers and just gave up?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 3 : Second Day - A Dance of Women and Demons):

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn Kyrie. That truth bomb about her relationship with Rudolf and his ex... Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Kyrie, you do not disappoint my expectations in you.

EVA Beatrice is overpowered and brutal. At least Beato has some style (ruthless and cruel, still, but she has style). EVA Beatrice is just childish and unrefined.

I want my jerk back. I want my Beato :'(

(I'll regret those words, surely).

Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 3 : Second Day - Past 6:00 PM - Verus Maho):

This was the first time since playing that I was genuinely moved.

And also the first time I yelled "NO NO NO NO" at my computer, despite my mind subconsciously expecting the next scene.

Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 3 : Second Day - Conclusion, a war of chess, and ending):

NOW I'M REALLY ENJOYING THIS! That OST, that Battler! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES, GET HER!

Oh, finally a counterattack. I wouldn't have it any other way. And it also confirms my suspisions about Kyrie's move. (Oh come on Battler, don't tell me you're gonna take this long to guess Kyrie's intentions, ie. taunt and corner the murderer?).

... Oh fuck. That avalanche of red.
Nanjo has to have commited suicide, or died from an accident. I only see these possibilities. She didn't leave much room for interpretation, thus giving us the answer to deduce. Well, I sure hope so.
... OK, I'm at a loss for words now.

Did I just win (lose? It's difficult to tell) by the power of spoilers? It's... What... How... It's just the third episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If this is only the third episode, I'm genuinely thrilled by what is next.

Now Battler, what will be your position, ye who denied witchs, only for genuinely refusing they can't exist when the truth is layed bare, only for you to never hear it?

... No.

NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

THAT BITCH. THAT FUCKING BITCH. THAT FUCKING TREASON.

On a completely unrelated note: ... Ange?

Last edited:

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko is a very interesting experience. We started on the wrong foot, but now I'm thoroughly engrossed.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a problem with just doing the common route for Muv-Luv Unlimited?

Unlimited just has one route. The endings are pretty much just based on each of the heroines. So unless you're a completionist you really only need to do one run. Unless you like all of the characters and want to see their individual endings.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm almost done with Unlimited. What about Alternative? Is there a route you guys suggest, is there a true ending of sorts?

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Finished Chaos;Child and liked it a lot especially Nono and Hana's route as for the true ending i think:
The only thing that bugged me about the ending was the reveal about Chaos Child Syndrome. It was just so pointless, it didn't really affect anything. It could have been removed entirely and almost nothing about the story would have to change.

It was just a little baffling. It feels like something that was planned from very early on, and they really wanted to keep it in, despite the fact that it wasn't really necessary.
The rest I felt was nice and conclusive, and wrapped everything up in a sufficiently poignant

I still have Root Double and The House in Fata Morgana lined up but for now i'm reading Fatal Twelve a Yuri mystery VN i mostly only picked up cause the art looked pretty nice and unusual, i only just started it but it seems pretty good so far.

Last edited:

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Anime Expo update: Was too busy getting the Fata Morgana TL team to sign my copy of Fata Morgana and playing shmups at the Aksys booth (got the high score) to ask Sekai about LRG. I recommend asking them on twitter or at Otakon or something

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Anime Expo update: Was too busy getting the Fata Morgana TL team to sign my copy of Fata Morgana and playing shmups at the Aksys booth (got the high score) to ask Sekai about LRG. I recommend asking them on twitter or at Otakon or something

Darn :p Sounds like you had fun though!

...anyone going to Otakon?