• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Hi guys are there any good Visual Novels on mobile? I tried to have an look but couldn't find anything.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
You guys think we will ever get Ever17 rereleased? It boggles my mind that we are getting Yu-No of all things and yet Ever17, a game ALREADY localized years ago and made by a guy who is relatively popular in the west thanks to Zero Escape, remains elusive. At this rate, Never7 is hopeless.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Hi guys are there any good Visual Novels on mobile? I tried to have an look but couldn't find anything.
Off the top of my head Steins;Gate, Hakuoki, and Ammesia Memories have mobile, or at least iOS versions. 999 has mobile port too but I think it does not have the puzzles the DS/Vita/PS4/PC versions have.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The iOS "port" of 999 indeed has no puzzles, in addition to altering and/or abbreviating scenes. Garbage, even more worthless with the game available on everything under the sun now.

Melhisedek

Oct 27, 2017
Guys long story short, I dabbed in VN games before on DS and played 999 and loved it, than played VLR and loved it but a bit less. Than a few months ago someone recommended me the Steins;Gate and dear LORD I was blown away. So now I'm really interested in trying out more VNs. I have Vita, PS4 and PC.

I know there is a Steins;Gate 0 and that one is on my list, but I would love to try out something different perhaps :) I saw that Muv-Luv trilogy released earlier on Vita but have no idea on if they are worth playing.

I love mystery, mindfucks and such :)

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys long story short, I dabbed in VN games before on DS and played 999 and loved it, than played VLR and loved it but a bit less. Than a few months ago someone recommended me the Steins;Gate and dear LORD I was blown away. So now I'm really interested in trying out more VNs. I have Vita, PS4 and PC.

I know there is a Steins;Gate 0 and that one is on my list, but I would love to try out something different perhaps :) I saw that Muv-Luv trilogy released earlier on Vita but have no idea on if they are worth playing.

I love mystery, mindfucks and such :)
Muv Luv is trash (in my opinion) especially the first third/20% of it or so (general consensus).

The House In Fata Morgana is good. An updated version will be coming to PS4/Vita in 2019 but just nab the Steam release right now, it's a narrative worth experiencing ASAP.

Danganronpa series is great, it's especially fun on Vita IMHO

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Muv Luv Extra for the early-00s harem VN nostalgia. Haven't played something like that in a long time. Though the MC was pretty bad and I wish a couple of the girls had better routes.

Melhisedek

Oct 27, 2017
Muv Luv is trash (in my opinion) especially the first third/20% of it or so (general consensus).

The House In Fata Morgana is good. An updated version will be coming to PS4/Vita in 2019 but just nab the Steam release right now, it's a narrative worth experiencing ASAP.

Danganronpa series is great, it's especially fun on Vita IMHO

Thanks mate, I don't know where I got this idea that Muv-Luv was really good but luckily got here in time :) Danganronpa is on the list also :) I'll do my best to read through this thread for recommendations but I have a few questions on what is skippable and what I should get on Vita. I'll be soon going on vacation and VN on Vita would be godsend :P

So how about:

Root Lettter
Root Double
Code: Realize
Utawarerumono
Collar x Malice

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks mate, I don't know where I got this idea that Muv-Luv was really good but luckily got here in time :) Danganronpa is on the list also :) I'll do my best to read through this thread for recommendations but I have a few questions on what is skippable and what I should get on Vita. I'll be soon going on vacation and VN on Vita would be godsend :P

So how about:

Root Lettter
Root Double
Code: Realize
Utawarerumono
Collar x Malice

Root Double is a top tier VN; you should absolutely play it. I'd put it up there as one of the best available in English right now.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Off the top of my head Steins;Gate, Hakuoki, and Ammesia Memories have mobile, or at least iOS versions. 999 has mobile port too but I think it does not have the puzzles the DS/Vita/PS4/PC versions have.

if you're on iOS I'm pretty sure Ace Attorney trilogy is on there, as well as AA4-5-6. Those last 3 games are on Android too but AA Trilogy fucking isn't. >_>

Thanks I have an Android device but will have a look.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks I have an Android device but will have a look.
Oh, it's an OELVN (originally english VN), but The Letter is on Google Play too. I've played little of it but it seemed decent enough, and quite polished too.

Also I think If My Heart Had Wings was on there but that really isn't my sort of VN so I've not played it extensively.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (chapter 1 - Second Day - The Rain Never Stop - important spoiler regarding Beatrice which is not something a standard player actually know at this point):

Eva is... Eva. Pushing the blame on the servants and Kinzo. Except that she is still the one who gained the most from all of this, and is eerily calm.
At this point, I don't know what to think exactly, as I know that Beatrice exists (well, at least her sprite - I don't know anything else besides that). So it makes the whole murder mystery simplier (or more complicated if she really isn't the one responsible).
The thing is, Eva is right: it is extremely unlikely that someone murdered everyone alone, dragged them to the storehouse, and found the key to it easily. Therefore, it is likely that at least one servant helped. Shannon being dead, all those who are left are Genji, Kumasawa and Kanon... but that doesn't make much sense for them to do that (and, well, it incriminates them). So my current hypothesis is that Gohda is responsible and/or helped to murder everyone, and was silenced afterwards by the mastermind.
Another thing that bothers me: everyone got their face thoroughly smashed except for Shannon and Krauss. There is the small possibility that the people who aren't truly identifiable may in fact still be alive, and used body doubles to fake their deaths.

... Or a witch did it. But I don't buy that explanation yet.

Well, to Eva's credit, she does realize and speak about the fact that she is obviously the most suspect one at the moment.

... WHAT THE FUCK MARIA?!

Natsuhi... Errr... Not that I'm that surprised, but could you please lower that shotgun? Pretty please?

OK. Either Maria is thoroughly deranged and her "Uh-uh" is just an act, either she is possessed by Beatrice... Either way, that doesn't bode well.

It's getting better, that's for sure. My initial reaction was luke-warm at best. Now I'm actually enjoying it.

Umineko: When They Cry (chapter 1 - Second Day - past 18:00):
Well, no surprises there. Between the epitath and the obvious locked room set-up, Eva and Hideyoshi were the next victims. Except this time we have a "perfect" locked-room.
At least Battler made it clear to Maria that he is fed up with her behavior.
19 > X > 18... This scenario doesn't make any sense. It is a perfect locked-room (until proven otherwise anyway). At this point I'm beginning to wonder if we have a false point of view.

Oh. There is someone in the boiler room. > 18 after all?

... Damn.

So, Eva is dead, Hideyoshi is dead, Kanon is dead, and Kinzo(?*) is burned to a crisp.

* There is no guarantee that this is him. This is merely conjuncture.

Damn. That's a complete slaughterhouse.

... The dude has 6 toes?!? Nanni?!

Ooooooooooooooh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Last edited:

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry : Ending of Chapter 1
By everything that is unholy, that game is long, isn't it?

TPK. Rocks fall, everyone die. Natsuhi went out in a blaze.

And that was just the Prologue? Holy cow.

So... Errr... Let's go to the Tea Party... Which... breaks the fourth wall?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone here is at AX tomorrow and going to the Sekai panel, can you plzzzzz ask them what's going on with the Limited Run titles?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Their panel is tomorrow if they don't give updates I'll ask after the panel or later at their booth

Awesome. LRG hasn't said a peep, and they are probably NDA'd not to, so hopefully Sekai could tell us something themselves... Mostly if there is still hope for the PS4/Vita versions physically (especially Vita with the clock ticking...)

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 2 - Beginning):

... I am confused. Is this the past? Are we going to relive events from the point of view of Georges and Shannon?
Anyhow, Shannon seems to have a personal link to the witch.
Hmmm. The episode's summary seems to hint this episode is going to be more violent that the previous one. Let's see what this "Extreme difficulty" is about.

Oh. In this chapter, she actually 'exists' (well, 'appears' may be a better word).

Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 2 - Dawn of the first day):

Rosa is a violent parent, and a terrible person overall. I still don't know the whole story, but her failure to raise Maria properly led the girl to become the very... "troubled" monster from the first episode.
I pity the girl. I still find her annoying (though now I mostly find her genuinely disturbing), but Rosa definitely is at fault. This is child abuse, plain and simple.

Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 2 - It. Is. ON!):

Well, sounds like this is going to be a groundhog day loop. I wonder if I will be able to finally "play" somehow. Let's see how this "loop" goes (well, obviously, badly, since there are 5 other episodes after this one).

OK. This is the "Let's make it clear just how awful Rosa is as a person" episode. Damn she is loathsome.

"As a pair of mothers with daughters"... Said by Rosa to Kyrie. Is that a mistranslation or?...

OK. The script definitely has been altered. This is not a re-telling. But if Beatrice shows herself this time...

Shannon is fierce in that episode.

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I did some research and there's no Collector's Edition, right? I'm playing it right now on PC for the first time and I'm liking it so far, but if the PS4 version is a regular one I don't feel the need to buy it.
AmiAmi had a bonus item that came with the game if you bought the copy with the bonus item listed, but it was not a collector's edition.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to get my order in before Amiami closed orders for Clannad and just paid for my order today. Play-Asia has as backorders, but YesAsia has the game in stock.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 2 - Dawn of the second day):

Well, that was a gruesome spectacle.

Oh. There's that maniac face of Beatrice.
Come on, you're just being cruel to Kanon now. Gee, she is a sadist all right.

Well, it was a murder mystery with hints of fantastic before. It is a full-blown fantastic story now, with no hints of mystery whatsoever.

GOAT

GOATGOATGOATWHATWTFIlikethemmusclesGOAT

Oh and it summons a mystical blade now.
Yup, you're screwed.

... Ok. Sure. He got a sword. You got a sword. Everyone got a keybladesword.

Beatrice's psycho's face is top notch.

She has a minion for each of the seven sins I gather?

This is "Closed Room: The Novela". Like, seriously.

Well, if you want to play that way, sure, let's do this. That will make things interesting... or simplier, since if I don't see that I'll just assume she is lying. Oh, and conveniently, right after that, she stated with the usual colour that she did it with magic.
Except there was that battle a few moments before.
My mind would like to stop being screwed, thank you.

I'm beginning to think that everything about Beatrice's magic is real... but if, somehow, an human explanation can be found, no matter how unlikely or farfetched it seems, then that explanation will trump her magic and asserts itself as reality, thus undermining her grip on our reality and preventing her from actually being able to exist. That would be why she insists so much that magic exists: without that belief, her very existence wouldn't be possible, and she wouldn't be able to interact with the world.
In the end, it is a game in which Battler must disarm Beatrice with logic and reason in order to make her cease to exist. At least, that's my take on the whole thing.

Beato dug her own grave with that rule. Duh. But back to square one: it isn't the work of a witch, when who did it? We are back to the whole 19 > X > 18 thing, and if there is no >18, then the culprit(s) are among the 18.
... In ... this... scenario... and the previous one... and the future ones?... Assuming... the identities... stay the same... but... what... err...
I'll... just reboot my brain for now.

Anyhow, Natsuhi was the sole adult survivor during episode 1 (until the end, that is), and was one of the main focus. I see a possible pattern here if the same happens to Rosa. Then, the next focus would be Eva or Kyrie, if a woman adult becomes the "star" for each episode.

Last edited:

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Someone just leaked the Mangagamer announcement on /jp/ (apparently the source is reliable because they we're right before)

Rance 9, Luckydog1, Rainbow Stage!, and one there refusing to say cause they want at least surprise. Apparently it's a major title.

Very excited for Rainbow Stage! It's a slice of life/romance Yuri VN with super cute art!
fFcNty6.jpg

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone just leaked the Mangagamer announcement on /jp/ (apparently the source is reliable because they we're right before)

Rance 9, Luckydog1, Rainbow Stage!, and one there refusing to say cause they want at least surprise. Apparently it's a major title.

Very excited for Rainbow Stage! It's a slice of life/romance Yuri VN with super cute art!
fFcNty6.jpg
Wonder what the major title could be.

(also I fucking hope that doesn't have a 18+ version ugh.)

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 2 - No one could survive that):

I wanted to write "The Walking Dead" initially, but some people could get the wrong idea...

So... That's just cheating. Not!Kanon saying Rosa did it... That's low Beato, even for you.

Aaaaaand we are back to the fantastic. Unless this is a case of false narrative.
Gee, I don't know the exact rules of this universe, but this is going to drive me crazy if I try to act like Battler.

Last edited:

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 2 - Heroic Resolve):
Or lack thereof.

Battler gave up. This is... actually crushing. Fuck.

Last edited:

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Apparently it's thirty hours plus of just girls doing cute things with other girls :)