• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
This is why games shouldn't be shown too early. Visual changes are always bound to happen.
Wasn't the Witcher 3 Sword of Destiny trailer shown less than a year before the game came out? That one looked really close to what we got, but there were still some scenes in it that looked better. And people (the developer?) were constantly saying that nothing was being downgraded up to release

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Watch Dogs and Anthem Thread.

Oh and does someone remember Command and Conquer 3?

I actually think that watchdogs mainly looked the way it did because of a load of effects that were quite frankly going to impact the gameplay experiece.

The amount of shallow bokeh depth of field is not going to be fun.

Same for that Rainbow 6 footage, it might look cool in a trailer for everything to be pitch black and full of mist, but in reality that would not be fun as everyone camps in dark corners (more they already do!)

Tektonic

Oct 25, 2017
The most egregious instance was the Dos version of Tintin on the Moon.

That shit was a CGA game that had Amiga screenshots on the back. I'll never forgive you infogrames!

It was practically every DOS game back in the day. Remember thinking wow this will be great, next minute CGA..

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
People are in for a rough awakening when Hellblade 2 doesn't end up looking anything like the supposedly "in-engine" trailer. They just never learn...

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Downgrades are always going to be a thing, speaking of FFXV, they obviously took out cloud shadows to hit native 1080p on PS4 (they are even still enabled, you can glitch outside the main maps & see them) you can look at that as more "optimisation" than a downgrade, compromises happen & will continue to do so.
Something like Dark Souls 2 though, now that is going too far & is borderline false advertising, they showed pre downgrade screenshots even at release, that shouldn't be allowed to happen again.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
It's usually due to optimization. Do you want your game to run like ass or ASS.

Let me take this time to commend Capcom for RE2 and DMCV.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Examples of this were; the division, watchdogs, anthem, aliens colonial marines, bioshock infinite, rainbow six siege, Dark souls 2, the witcher 3, final fantasy xv, and most famously, no mans sky.

I will always be disappointed that No Man's Sky doesn't have the more seamless transitions from space to planetary atmosphere seen in the early trailers. It has improved but will probably never be at that level of polish. The game is kind of the odd one out in your list there though: it's effectively an Early Access game and has changed, not just from pre-release media to release, but has seen many visual improvements and additions over the years. There's still some roughness to it, unavoidable I guess for a game that relies so heavily on on-the-fly generation, but I think it looks better now in some respects than it did in those early trailers. Terrain tessellation and the current clouds technology were not in the old trailers. Planet generation is generally more varied now. You can find huge landmasses as well as oceans on the same planet. I'm pretty sure that was never seen in pre-release trailers or screenshots. I'm not sure that physically based rendering was in the old trailers either.