• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can't wait to play this for an hour and get my shit spooked so bad that I never return to it again. Wife has given the go ahead on seeing me play, so maybe that'll help šŸ¤£šŸ˜­

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You would think with how much this forum adores PT (to the point where they've never deleted the game or tried to find files to somehow download) that this would be getting a lot more hits.

It deserves it. Maybe if people knew it's basically a PT successor.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Looks very intriguing. Waiting for some Pro impressions, if they're good I'll probably bite.

May 10, 2019
Just finished downloading it on One X. Going to grab some dinner first but then grabbing my headphones and diving in later tonight.

9c38fd04411068e4f2ede12c00a40210.gif

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
You would think with how much this forum adores PT (to the point where they've never deleted the game or tried to find files to somehow download) that this would be getting a lot more hits.

I'm waiting to finish Amnesia: Rebirth before I give this a whirl. Aaannnd maybe take a break in between.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just biding time until it's darker outside so I can load this up. Going to try and beat it by the end of Halloween at the latest, finish my spoopy month correctly.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Under normal circumstances I would jump right in.

But again, with the new consoles days away and with already a ton of money thrown at both of them, I'm waiting to see how this performs currently and if it'll get a significant upgrade later on.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't know this finally coming out, I remember seeing it was in early access or whatever. Scooping this up as soon as it hits PSN. P.T. was something special but at the end of the day it's just a tech demo, can't wait for something that's fleshed out.

Some even said as far keeping the PS4 until there is BC for it on PS5. It will never happen so I guess they're keeping it forever?

cheduff

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I bought it on Steam a while back. It was scary, but not PT scary. I hope the final product is terrifying. Will play it tomorrow night.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
As much as this game wears its influences on its sleeves its still one of the most satisfying horror games I've played in years. I'm a tough customer with this genre and not easily impressed so for this to be hitting so many notes for my taste in horror is quite the feat. It was really putting me in a similar headspace that SH2 did which is probably the highest compliment I can give it.

Finished the Dolores chapter last night, some good classic RE and SH style puzzles with a good variety of alternating spooks and changing behavior of the ghost the more you progress. I was fearing the types of scares would begin to get repetitive but it was consistently surprising me with new types of poltergeist activity.

Dolores chapter spoiler:

And as left field and wtf as the talking appliances scene in the kitchen was I loved the execution. Hilariously dark and surreal.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Did they ever fix the terrible controls for this game? I want to pick it up on PS4 tomorrow but the last time I played the PC version is was so bad on a controller, with swapping items in hands and placing things down and everything, it was so unintuitive that it killed it for me.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn. This shit is putting anxiety through the roof everytime the light switches turn off. Can't stand particular parts of the house lol.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to
outrun the grandma? I turn my lighter on and run towards the light but she always kills me

Annnd the first crash of the night. It turned off my Xbox. I hope my file isn't glitched because there's a room that has no floor at all and I just fell for eternity

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no way to
outrun the grandma? I turn my lighter on and run towards the light but she always kills me

Annnd the first crash of the night. It turned off my Xbox. I hope my file isn't glitched because there's a room that has no floor at all and I just fell for eternity

I'm not positive this is how it works but if you're loading in from a certain point from your own save it seems like if you're already in the middle of a sequence where Dolores is hunting you its very difficult to shake her, but if you load from an autosave this seems to randomize whether you'll get got by her. Also not sure if you're this far but if you've unlocked the section with mirrors using those to get away seems to shake her, and maybe sprinting away in general helps. But yeah whenever you hear that heavy breathing of hers get out of the general area you're in lol

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Is the horror in this primarily jump/shock scares?

But more importantly, how is the story and voice acting?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not positive this is how it works but if you're loading in from a certain point from your own save it seems like if you're already in the middle of a sequence where Dolores is hunting you its very difficult to shake her, but if you load from an autosave this seems to randomize whether you'll get got by her. Also not sure if you're this far but if you've unlocked the section with mirrors using those to get away seems to shake her, and maybe sprinting away in general helps. But yeah whenever you hear that heavy breathing of hers get out of the general area you're in lol

Are you done with the Dolores chapter? Because I might need some tips, or I'm dealing with a glitch because that'd suck considering I'm 5 hours in and still trying to beat this one
Where is the walkie talkie for the baby monitor? All the videos I'm seeing is in this room where you have to rearrange the portraits and change the three clocks. But in my game no sort of crib pops up, and there's no candles to light (as shown in these videos from 2019

Such a bummer if this is a glitch....

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you done with the Dolores chapter? Because I might need some tips, or I'm dealing with a glitch because that'd suck considering I'm 5 hours in and still trying to beat this one
Where is the walkie talkie for the baby monitor? All the videos I'm seeing is in this room where you have to rearrange the portraits and change the three clocks. But in my game no sort of crib pops up, and there's no candles to light (as shown in these videos from 2019

Such a bummer if this is a glitch....

Edit: I'm so stupid. Nvm. Goddamn attention to fucking detail.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the horror in this primarily jump/shock scares?

But more importantly, how is the story and voice acting?

It's a mix of jump scare and slow burn psychological horror. Honestly it feels like it covers all sorts of horror. Voice acting is great imo. As for story? I mean so far it feels like it isn't shying away from PT. Family was murdered in the house you're in and you're trying to solve the mystery around it. That's as far as I got. Still on the first chapter or second and I'm 6 hours in.

6 hour update!

Well I'm pretty sure I finished the Dolores chapter. Took me a hot minute. I'm garbage at missing little details, probably would've finished the chapter sooner.

Pros:

this is hands down one of the best slow paced style horror games I've ever played. And I've played a good amount throughout console generations.

Atmosphere destroys most AAA horror games i can think of. PT is an apt comparison. But they just took that inspiration and went crazy with it.

The house is amazing to navigate and deceptively tricky to make your way around. It's ridiculous how I still hate going into the attic or basement even if I went through numerous times. Just gives you an idea of how great they were when it comes to feeling genuine fear.

Sound is amazing, when it works (more on that later)

Lighting is also amazing, when it works (more on that later)

cons:

the controls really are pretty ass. Feels like I'm fighting to put my lighter away more often than I need to. And sometimes not being able to close doors due to the analog stick not pulling it results in frustrating deaths. And its happened a couple times.

seriously, how does the lighting mechanic work? I'm literally standing right underneath a lamp zooming into it and my sanity keeps rising. No sight of ghosts, no loud music cue. Just me, in a brightly lit hallway and a bright red sanity meter.

sound is also inconsistent. It's kinda jarring when you hear footsteps above you end mid-sound? It's definitely not intentional. It just feels like so many sounds abruptly end and play a new sound, or music just all of a sudden stops when I enter a new room.

jump scares; at least in the chapter I was on, started becoming a little repetitive. It was to the point where I was calling it out every time it happened.

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the one big negative is definitely the controls, its a pretty bizarre design for item management. Holding down F to just see the prompt to enable dropping an item, needing to press Tab to select items you have (no idea why you can't scroll wheel or select individual items with a hotkey). Candle placement and lighting them seems finicky and inconsistent too. Sometimes it works fine others the candle just gets put in the inventory or just stays in my hand.

Its a weird mishmash of Frictional style mouse interactions (pushing and pulling for doors and drawers) and I don't know what lol. Its uh...certainly unique. But hey it clearly isn't detracting that much overall given my initial praise in here.

The lighting/sanity mechanic certainly isn't as precise as something like Amnesia's where you know when you're in dark or light areas what will happen. Its pretty ambiguous here. Not sure if that's intentional or a bug.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the one big negative is definitely the controls, its a pretty bizarre design for item management. Holding down F to just see the prompt to enable dropping an item, needing to press Tab to select items you have (no idea why you can't scroll wheel or select individual items with a hotkey). Candle placement and lighting them seems finicky and inconsistent too. Sometimes it works fine others the candle just gets put in the inventory or just stays in my hand.

Its a weird mishmash of Frictional style mouse interactions (pushing and pulling for doors and drawers) and I don't know what lol. Its uh...certainly unique. But hey it clearly isn't detracting that much overall given my initial praise in here.

The lighting/sanity mechanic certainly isn't as precise as something like Amnesia's where you know when you're in dark or light areas what will happen. Its pretty ambiguous here. Not sure if that's intentional or a bug.

Part of me thinks it's a bug, or just isn't fine tuned enough... Seems like lights/closing doors are supposed to act like your "safe room" while the dark is free reign for the ghosts. Intentionally making your sanity turn red while by a lamp seems like a frustrating mechanic. It's gotta be an error, I can't see why else they would add lightbulb repairs if people wanted to hoard the light, like I do. I'll take the risk of a burnt bulb.

But another thing that's a little inconsistent are the loud music cues and where your character is looking (or isn't). A few times tonight you would hear that sharp sound getting plucked in your ears but you don't know what/who is causing it. Like did I pan too fast across a ghost? Is the radio on? Is something off? It isn't until I walk around the corner then go upstairs I finally see the light switch was turned off. Like...why would you alert me with that sound when I can't visually see "it" happening? Part of the reason jump scares are so good is due to the sound and visual aspect. Here I do a full 360 wondering wtf is different in my surroundings or if I missed a ghost sighting. Just seems like it should be scaring me with sound when I actually have time to focus on whatever is supposed to be scary. Lol.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me thinks it's a bug, or just isn't fine tuned enough... Seems like lights/closing doors are supposed to act like your "safe room" while the dark is free reign for the ghosts. Intentionally making your sanity turn red while by a lamp seems like a frustrating mechanic. It's gotta be an error, I can't see why else they would add lightbulb repairs if people wanted to hoard the light, like I do. I'll take the risk of a burnt bulb.

But another thing that's a little inconsistent are the loud music cues and where your character is looking (or isn't). A few times tonight you would hear that sharp sound getting plucked in your ears but you don't know what/who is causing it. Like did I pan too fast across a ghost? Is the radio on? Is something off? It isn't until I walk around the corner then go upstairs I finally see the light switch was turned off. Like...why would you alert me with that sound when I can't visually see "it" happening? Part of the reason jump scares are so good is due to the sound and visual aspect. Here I do a full 360 wondering wtf is different in my surroundings or if I missed a ghost sighting. Just seems like it should be scaring me with sound when I actually have time to focus on whatever is supposed to be scary. Lol.

The sound can definitely be a bit overkill and not specific to what's going on or whether a ghost is actually within your vicinity unless its the ragged breathing. The creaks and knocks in particular are way overdone but still manage to up the nerves by virtue of not knowing when something is going to happen.

Think I'll take a short break from it cause the chapter I'm on is getting a bit frustrating with how aggressive the ghost is in the current sequence. The more I think on it I think it may have been better to have experienced this as specific chapters were added, as I can already see the seams showing with the core loop of scripted sequences and then evading the ghosts, waiting for it to back off from hunting to find the next trigger area or puzzle etc.

The thing that's annoying is the prolonged kill animation with this particular ghost that you can't skip or even access the menu to load a save from. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread its a tough balancing act for horror games where if you're given the same type of scares enough times (the ghost killing you in this case), you start to get numb to it after awhile and become more annoyed than unnerved.

Maybe this is a case where the Dolores chapter was just better paced and designed šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
Can someone help me?

First chapter, after the cage sequence where you are presented to the main ghost(I assume), you get to return back into the house, but now the new ghost is following you. Is the goal of that new part is to chase it by using the camera flash?

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
It's a mix of jump scare and slow burn psychological horror. Honestly it feels like it covers all sorts of horror. Voice acting is great imo. As for story? I mean so far it feels like it isn't shying away from PT. Family was murdered in the house you're in and you're trying to solve the mystery around it. That's as far as I got. Still on the first chapter or second and I'm 6 hours in.

6 hour update!

Well I'm pretty sure I finished the Dolores chapter. Took me a hot minute. I'm garbage at missing little details, probably would've finished the chapter sooner.

Pros:

this is hands down one of the best slow paced style horror games I've ever played. And I've played a good amount throughout console generations.

Atmosphere destroys most AAA horror games i can think of. PT is an apt comparison. But they just took that inspiration and went crazy with it.

The house is amazing to navigate and deceptively tricky to make your way around. It's ridiculous how I still hate going into the attic or basement even if I went through numerous times. Just gives you an idea of how great they were when it comes to feeling genuine fear.

Sound is amazing, when it works (more on that later)

Lighting is also amazing, when it works (more on that later)

cons:

the controls really are pretty ass. Feels like I'm fighting to put my lighter away more often than I need to. And sometimes not being able to close doors due to the analog stick not pulling it results in frustrating deaths. And its happened a couple times.

seriously, how does the lighting mechanic work? I'm literally standing right underneath a lamp zooming into it and my sanity keeps rising. No sight of ghosts, no loud music cue. Just me, in a brightly lit hallway and a bright red sanity meter.

sound is also inconsistent. It's kinda jarring when you hear footsteps above you end mid-sound? It's definitely not intentional. It just feels like so many sounds abruptly end and play a new sound, or music just all of a sudden stops when I enter a new room.

jump scares; at least in the chapter I was on, started becoming a little repetitive. It was to the point where I was calling it out every time it happened.
How is the gameplay itself like? Is it more of a slow walking and reading up on stuff kinda game, or are there strong puzzle elements in it?

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that I have to wait until tonight to play despite buying it this morning on PS4 haha. Day time plus window glare just isn't the right vibe for this kind of game.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is the gameplay itself like? Is it more of a slow walking and reading up on stuff kinda game, or are there strong puzzle elements in it?

Its slow walking, yes. Lot of attention to detail when it comes to collecting items, including key items. And yup there are also puzzles. So far they are reminiscent of silent hill and RE. Haven't really came across any sort of brain busters just yet. Not too challenging, but I only did one chapter and it took me a few hours so I can't say how the puzzles are for the whole game.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So any impressions on the one x version?

Im on the One X and I don't even think it's a locked 30. Panning the camera around super fast results in frame drops. Sometimes you notice clipping and texture loading in while you're randomly walking around the house. The game looks great, but part of me thinks the unstable 30 will be an issue for console users. Load times aren't too bad, but then again I've only died a few times so the amount of loading screens I've stared at have been relatively sparse. The biggest gripe for console users will be the controls. I wouldn't say it's tanky like RE, but it's not as smooth as PT. It was made in PC in mind and you'll see unnatural inventory management sometimes feels, and having to pull open doors with the analog sticks. It could be better.

edit: damn, double posting like crazy.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Im on the One X and I don't even think it's a locked 30. Panning the camera around super fast results in frame drops. Sometimes you notice clipping and texture loading in while you're randomly walking around the house. The game looks great, but part of me thinks the unstable 30 will be an issue for console users. Load times aren't too bad, but then again I've only died a few times so the amount of loading screens I've stared at have been relatively sparse. The biggest gripe for console users will be the controls. I wouldn't say it's tanky like RE, but it's not as smooth as PT. It was made in PC in mind and you'll see unnatural inventory management sometimes feels, and having to pull open doors with the analog sticks. It could be better.
Damn the controls are why I couldn't get into Amnesia on PS4. It felt so unnatural.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn the controls are why I couldn't get into Amnesia on PS4. It felt so unnatural.

Its very sluggish feeling and it's the reason my sensitivity is high. But that is also an issue on sticks because you need to loot and read almost every object in each room, and your crosshair has to be pinpoint on that specific item if you want to interact with it. Sometimes I end up missing it because my sensitivity is so high. Still, I refuse to go back to the slow as molasses default sensitivity.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am really interested in this game, and just started it, but have run into what I think are more than a few bugs. A lot of misaligned doors, doors that won't open, and comically, some doors that are fully open but any time I click on them it tells me they are locked or unusable.

I was able to get into The Garage straight off the bat simply because the door spawned in completely open and moveable with the caveat that any time I touched it the little warning saying it was locked popped up.

Other times I've run into doors that appear openable but just will not move. Once, I opened a door fully before it just randomly slammed shut any time I let go of the mouse button. My sanity did not decrease, so I cannot tell if this is working as intended and is haunted, or if it is just bugged out.

I'm playing at 240fps, so maybe the physics really just don't like HFR.

I really want to play more, it seems very interesting, but I genuinely can't figure out how to progress due to all the bugs I've run into so far. Maybe I'll start over later and see if capping the framerate fixes any of the issues.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am really interested in this game, and just started it, but have run into what I think are more than a few bugs. A lot of misaligned doors, doors that won't open, and comically, some doors that are fully open but any time I click on them it tells me they are locked or unusable.

I was able to get into The Garage straight off the bat simply because the door spawned in completely open and moveable with the caveat that any time I touched it the little warning saying it was locked popped up.

Other times I've run into doors that appear openable but just will not move. Once, I opened a door fully before it just randomly slammed shut any time I let go of the mouse button. My sanity did not decrease, so I cannot tell if this is working as intended and is haunted, or if it is just bugged out.

I'm playing at 240fps, so maybe the physics really just don't like HFR.

I really want to play more, it seems very interesting, but I genuinely can't figure out how to progress due to all the bugs I've run into so far. Maybe I'll start over later and see if capping the framerate fixes any of the issues.

That sucks. Yeah, I've mentioned my gripes with it and wish I could think back a few hours to where you are, but I can't quite remember. But this game isn't without its warts. It being a Kickstarter made by a relatively new/small team shows. The AAA budget and resume this is not.

But the atmosphere is palpable. This shit is fucking terrifying. Hopefully you can give it another chance because it truly does replicate that PT vibe tenfold.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
That sucks. Yeah, I've mentioned my gripes with it and wish I could think back a few hours to where you are, but I can't quite remember. But this game isn't without its warts. It being a Kickstarter made by a relatively new/small team shows. The AAA budget and resume this is not.

But the atmosphere is palpable. This shit is fucking terrifying. Hopefully you can give it another chance because it truly does replicate that PT vibe tenfold.
I jumped back in and limited my framerate to 60 and things seem to be working okay now, so that's nice. Aside from some very strange physics issues I'm progressing just fine now.

I like it. But yes, it is not AAA and the budget shows. It reminds me most of The Painscreek Killings, a similarly low budget/kind of goofy but charming investigation game.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on a dumb mini vacation till tomorrow afternoon so I can't play this right now. Please post more console impressions guys. Kinda disappointed to hear that it's sub 30 FPS on Xbox. I imagine it's similar on PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it was ok for me to grab that
cane crutch
to start a chapter. Or did that take me away from the starting chapter?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I backed this and played the first two levels like a year ago and almost shitted my pants without even encountering a "ghost".