• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I think they're right. Some games would take a lot of work and not be worth it, and some definitely wouldn't look good (like PC games on the lowest swings), but I think the fundamentals they could get running.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
When someone goes from "you're joking about Switch ports" to "you're dunking on a hard working studio and their efforts, and you an industry insider, shame on you", I do find it a little odd.
Don't you see how it can be seen as rather rude to make a joke that implies that the team ports games to the system without worrying about quality when in the interview this thread is about they speak indeed about that very concern?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Great news! I hope teh studio brings mroe games to the switch. XCOM2 is one of my fav games in PC so it is great more people can play it!

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I mean, at this point I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable statement baring a rare exception if you are willing to sacrifice the way other games like Doom/Wolfenstein/The Witcher/etc. have. I think when people, myself included, doubted what games could make it to the Switch it was without considering games being sub 720p, cutting FPS in half, and implementing even more complex downgrades. So I don't think I'm willing to say any game won't run on the Switch - they may make it 360p with 24 FPS and low textures with reduced NPC count and minimized effects, etc. I can't count it out at this point.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
After Witcher 3, I won't doubt the Switch ever again. Still, I'm guessing getting those bigger triple A games to run decently on Switch would probably require a significant investment that may or may not be fruitful, which is why we don't see many of those

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I think when people, myself included, doubted what games could make it to the Switch it was without considering games being sub 720p, cutting FPS in half, and implementing even more complex downgrades.
Well....why wouldn't you have considered such changes? That's the way ports to lesser/different hardware has been done since videogames began. Take one look at settings in any given PC game and you'll see this happening every day. Hell, look at games running on high end PC hardware, compared to consoles.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They've talked a lot about optimizations for XCOM2 so I'm eager to see how it runs. I get the feeling we may have another Alien: Isolation on our hands here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean, yeah. Its powerful enough that if you make enough concessions you can get any current gen game running.
Not really a controversial statement.

Next gen I think thats probably a bridge too far, esp when you factor in all the SSD stuff (although some of the SD card advances are very interesting)

*Reads this thread*

Not sure about that lol

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Don't you see how it can be seen as rather rude to make a joke that implies that the team ports games to the system without worrying about quality when in the interview this thread is about they speak indeed about that very concern?

I guess I didn't realize it would be such an incredibly sensitive subject for many. Fine.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
you can definitely port any modern title

now how well it runs and if it is a good experience... those are entirely different questions.
You can port anything to Switch currently. It's more of a question of whether or not it will actually run at a decent/acceptable quality. If a developer can't get a game running on a system to a level that they feel reflects well on their product then they won't touch it.
These posts nail it.

Ok, now we need GTA V, MGS V, RDR2, MHW and RE2
Wasn't the problem with GTAV more of the lack of cartridge space? As for MHW, good luck justifying a Switch port that can't be sold in Japan (PS4 console exclusive in Asian markets).

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It ran worse than the PS3 version.
The DF analysis is mixed. LA Noire was a 720p game on PS3 and 1080p on Switch so that In itself is a huge jump and both targeted 30fps

Because it was so closely tied to PS3 as a exclusive Including the use of cell, the DF guys speculated it wasn't as easy to transition the cpu side things to Switch hence fps hiccups and shorter draw distances.

The port coming so early in the Switches life probably also limited what the devs could dom Witcher 3 proves Switch could handle an even larger open world with a more reasoned team. And Virtuos is certainly much more reasoned now than they were in 2017

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
What they can't do is make publishers care for that shit cartridge deals they get from nintendo once a game can run on switch

Jun 2, 2019
I mean, at this point I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable statement baring a rare exception if you are willing to sacrifice the way other games like Doom/Wolfenstein/The Witcher/etc. have. I think when people, myself included, doubted what games could make it to the Switch it was without considering games being sub 720p, cutting FPS in half, and implementing even more complex downgrades. So I don't think I'm willing to say any game won't run on the Switch - they may make it 360p with 24 FPS and low textures with reduced NPC count and minimized effects, etc. I can't count it out at this point.

No offense, but you don't seem to have played videogames before past gen.

Because even the more famous ports of the 16 era were really cut down from arcade versions (in some cases, awfully so) while keeping the general gameplay and graphical feeling.

If this gen and the Switch porting debacle has proved something is that people's general ignorance and unwillingness to research are outstanding. Downports have existed since the very first consoles, but somehow porting anything to Switch was treated almost as an offense, kind of like "peasants don't have the RIGHT to play OUR games"

Having lived videogames since the NES era, the attitude regarding Switch ports can only be seen like me as idiotic. Even the concept of impossible port is, moreso after having seen Doom running on SNES

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think something extremely processor and memory bandwidth intensive like 64 player Battlefield V or Total Warhammer 2 is just not happening. For anything other than that it's a matter of whether the porting costs are worth it.

And with the next generation of consoles on the horizon, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for an XBox One X or PS4 Pro to be in the same price range as a Switch this holiday season. That development could limit publisher interest in porting AAA games to the Switch even further.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Will be cool to see what's coming up from them next. Most of their stuff has been good so far.

Also. reading what Sabers CEO said yesterday that fans will be surprised what's coming next for Switch.. I think we could very well see some wow moments ahead. Looking forward to it =)

Unplayably slow according to reports, as low as "single digit fps". I don't think Virtuous had anything to do with it, and wasn't intended to be a shot at them, but rather that just because you *can* bring something to switch doesn't mean you *should*.

That Minecraft Dungeons runs that poorly, is probably more on how poorly optimized the game is than the hardware.
In no ways should that game run that bad.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Well....why wouldn't you have considered such changes? That's the way ports to lesser/different hardware has been done since videogames began. Take one look at settings in any given PC game and you'll see this happening every day. Hell, look at games running on high end PC hardware, compared to consoles.

When the Switch came out I wouldn't have thought there would be an appetite for a significantly reduced game that had already been out for a year, if not several years. Especially when said ports would require a third party studio. Very few people would have thought The Witcher III would come to the Switch for many reasons until it was rumored/announced that it was, and I think it's rewriting history to act as if that opinion was A) unreasonable and B) uncommon.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Honestly Nier Automata wouldn't suffer too much from low res port. But I don't know what to make of such a statement. Never heard of these guys, so I think it's a bit irrelevant to speculate.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pretty sure you can port RDR2... in 240p docked.
lonerangerdowntown-1024x576.jpg

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
I not sure what people expect from the Switch anymore, it's already proven itself, we have many examples now

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'd much rather have ports of previous gen titles so that they run just as well and acceptably as already-available hardware of similar price. I've got another machine to run those current gen games in a much better state. Nintendo should have Virtuous porting classic Wii era games though, that'd be a much more exciting proposal. I do wonder who's behind all these rumoured Mario remaster and the MP Trilogy that's been hinted at for years now.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Nier Automata wouldn't suffer too much from low res port. But I don't know what to make of such a statement. Never heard of these guys, so I think it's a bit irrelevant to speculate.
Virtuos is pretty huge, I think they have like 1500+ employees spread out WW.

They worked on the Switch ports of LA Noire, Starlink, Spyro(?), The Outer Worlds and Final Fantasy X/X-2 and XII.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
you can definitely port any modern title

now how well it runs and if it is a good experience... those are entirely different questions.
Pretty much. How it runs, looks and what other compromises have to be made to it are what's important. Killer Instinct proved you can port anything to anything when they made the GB version. It was actually rather phenomenal all things considered, but it was still not really anywhere near parity with the original or even the SNES version. This is a good case, too, because all of the MK1-3 ports for damned near everything... ew.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I mean why not? With enough manpower, you could port any game of any era to any console, including the Switch.

Is it gonna work well? Is it gonna look big enough to know where the menus are? Is it gonna make money? *shrugs*

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
When the Switch came out I wouldn't have thought there would be an appetite for a significantly reduced game that had already been out for a year, if not several years. Especially when said ports would require a third party studio. Very few people would have thought The Witcher III would come to the Switch for many reasons until it was rumored/announced that it was, and I think it's rewriting history to act as if that opinion was A) unreasonable and B) uncommon.
I don't think it's unreasonable to have never expected TW3 to be ported to the Switch, I do think it was unreasonable for so many people to think that these games just simply cannot be ported to the Switch because it's some kind of impossible task. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, many people claimed the Switch just simply could not run PS4 ports and that never made sense to me.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, this thread definitely feels like all the boys in my high school class making fun of the GameCube because it was purple, but I would just like to reiterate that Virtuos does wonderful work. Aside from the compressed audio in Dark Souls Remastered, their Switch work have been incredibly solid. Starlink is one of the more underrated games on the system, visually speaking.

That's a cool system that he describes, and he very clearly uses the word "adaptations." So I think I'm gonna go ahead and listen to a producer from the studio who did this stuff over Resetera's ~but 240pees~ squad.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
How will XCOM2 work anyway? I'd get it if it doesn't play like crap and has steam save syncing like Divinity and The Witcher.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Quote me where I'm dunking on a hard working studio, thanks.
I knew some N fans were dour, but jesus.
While I mostly agree with the sentiment that not simply because it can technically be ported, it should, going with a word to label a certain kind of fans in a clear way of being derogatory won't help your case. Just look at a post above in this page where someone used the "fanboy" word as a clear way to dismiss any discussion.
They should port rdr1 first. I'd love to play that game before the second one
Now RDR1 on Switch is something I'd definitely love to see, it has potential to look and run well on it.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would certainly be interesting to see how they'd manage something with install sizes between 100-200gb like RDR2 for sure.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I believe it. The abysmal CPUs in the Xbox and PS4 work in the Switch's favor, and graphics can be scaled down more or less as much as needed. But whether that makes for a satisfying experience might be another matter.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I don't think it's unreasonable to have never expected TW3 to be ported to the Switch, I do think it was unreasonable for so many people to think that these games just simply cannot be ported to the Switch because it's some kind of impossible task. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, many people claimed the Switch just simply could not run PS4 ports and that never made sense to me.
The people who said that were probably meaning it in the sense of "would anyone actually want to play a 500p version of this PS4 game running at 27 frames per second".

For a lot of us the answer is hard "no", but clearly there is some market for those kind of ports.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Sweet, more and more switch has become my go to console for 240p sub 20fps gaming.

only joking
well...most of the time