• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
If a game has to take THAT much work to port then it shouldn't be ported imo.
Damn, you're really changing those goal posts a lot. Yikes. First it was you'll believe it when you see it. Then it was yes they could do the witcher 3, but that game wasn't very demanding. Then it was well it was demanding, but it took a lot of work and therefore not worth it. Then it was that you were really only talking about exclusive games being more demanding than The witcher 3. lol. Just stop now.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Platform wars, prior ban for platform wars
Why would anyone want to play 240p Res at 10FPS.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I need to see xcom 2 running first before i buy whatever VirtuOS is selling. If they do a good job on that one then i'll be fully convinced because they will be the first to actually manage it

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
...but should they?

VgWtvvA.gif

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
Damn, you're really changing those goal posts a lot. Yikes. First it was you'll believe it when you see it. Then it was yes they could do the witcher 3, but that game wasn't very demanding. Then it was well it was demanding, but it took a lot of work and therefore not worth it. Then it was that you were really only talking about exclusive games being more demanding than The witcher 3. lol. Just stop now.
My reference to believing it when I'll see it is being ported in an acceptable manner. If you throw enough money and time at a port, yeah it'll run on the switch. Will it be acceptable on the switch? That is what I doubt.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I unironically would play a Switch version of RDR2.

I genuinely think with the right optimization with the right team behind it I think a lot of people would be pleasently surprised at what the Switch version could handle.

But they'd still people be "shocked" that it wasn't 1080p at full graphics settings and call it unplayable :/

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Bet they cant port Persona 5

It was a ps3 game. both it and gta V would never be problems for the switch in any sense.

I genuinely think with the right optimization with the right team behind it I think a lot of people would be pleasently surprised at what the Switch version could handle.

But they'd still people be "shocked" that it wasn't 1080p at full graphics settings and call it unplayable :/

considering the xbox one is not getting 1080p´with full graphic settings for the latter half of the gen i doubt people would expect it from the switch as well. or that it would be the "only" compromise the ports would have.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
When they say we can port anything from current gen, they mean they can port it with acceptable graphics and performance in todays market. They don't mean to say they will downgrade it to a point that it's SD res or something. They mean actual quality ports like Witcher 3 or Doom.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
My reference to believing it when I'll see it is being ported in an acceptable manner. If you throw enough money and time at a port, yeah it'll run on the switch. Will it be acceptable on the switch? That is what I doubt.
Well why didn't you say that in your original post then? And what's acceptable to you is not going to be the same for everyone. You may think that the witcher 3 does not run in an acceptable manner. To many people it does. So no need for you to doubt.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bold words, I would like to see more publishers take them up on the offer.

No doubt. But in the same vein, you, me or anyone else finding, say 480p and sub 30fps with muddy IQ acceptable doesn't mean the devs / publishers want people to see and most importantly play their game that way. Just how it goes. I hope we do see more ports of AAA games for the people that want them though.

Yup, there's an image aspect to it. There was an interview with Nagoshi about Sakura Wars where he basically said it's a big console game for people who have "graduated" from handhelds. When that's the attitude it doesn't really matter whether or not a port is possible.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd be pleasantly surprised if it ran at a framerate higher than a PowerPoint presentation.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, there's an image aspect to it. There was an interview with Nagoshi about Sakura Wars where he basically said it's a big console game for people who have "graduated" from handhelds. When that's the attitude it doesn't really matter whether or not a port is possible.
Nagoshi would say anything to shit on Nintendo's systems after Yakuza Wii U

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Legitimately interested what game would be needed to reaching the consensus of "yes it is true" ?

I thought back then that TW3 would be enough given the reactions to the rumor here:

www.resetera.com

RUMOR: Witcher 3 coming to Switch according to French wholesaler

Here’s the link to the wholesaler’s website. http://www.wtt.biz/Mobile/witcher-3-switch-c2x27809537 I remember Witcher 3 requirements being pretty high for PC, so I’m not sure if they port this onto Switch.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
What does this even mean? "acceptable on the switch" just admit that you are bullshitting, The Witcher 3 has shown that most people would love to play demanding games on portable devices even with the lower resolutions

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
No matter what anyone says, the number of ports the Switch gets is always going to be limited. It requires a substantial amount of work to port a current game down to Switch hardware, so publishers are only going to do it if they think they can make enough money to justify that cost.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't buy it personally because I'm done with the game but I would love to see something like RDR2 ported just out of curiosity. Like if Rockstar actually told them "sure go for it" what that would look like.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Cut enough corners and you can get a game on anything. The question isn't getting a game on the Switch, it's if the game can retain everything from the other platforms.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
We've seen clever (or just plain impressive) conversions for most genres on Switch, so this appears to coming from a place of experience. Like, some titles/engines would likely cause stumbles, but that's true of all platforms to some extent. As a "bonus," titles that target 60 FPS on current-gen end up with extra breathing room if/when the target can be shifted to 30 fps (i.e., Doom 2016).

There are limits and notable trade-offs, but gaming hardware is in such a cool place right now.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Well why didn't you say that in your original post then? And what's acceptable to you is not going to be the same for everyone. You may think that the witcher 3 does not run in an acceptable manner. To many people it does. So no need for you to doubt.
Yes.

"acceptable port" is a completely subjective term which can only be tried to quantify whether people buy it or not.

"It is not acceptable to me at that resolution" does not mean that not many people are interested in buying the game on Switch.

krat0zs

Jan 18, 2020
UK
Star wars Fallen Order can go down to 540p on base Xbox One and has issues staying at 30fps. Let's see that on the Switch

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
We've certainly come a long way. I remember a lot of people doubted the Switch could run any PS4 games.