• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Best seller? Did MK outsell Smash while I wasn't looking?

Nintendo should make MK so the series can reach new sales heights. It should be a party fighter for all ages.

Badwolf here you go again. Mortal Kombat is no sacred cow. About 4 Mortal Kombat games in the franchise games are unplayable. I'd be overjoyed to see Nintendo make an anime family friendly Mortal Kombat. No shits would be given, it's a video game.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what? Seeing what some people are proposing in this thread I think the series shouldn't get any more sequels.

Just give me an updated release of VF5 with Kiryu and Majima along with some other Sega characters like Axel and Blaze. I would rather that than a butchered Virtua Fighter game made for people who never even cared about Virtua Fighter.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The fans...The fans are only about 800,000 that will buy VF6 at full price, the other 800,000 will only buy VF6 when the game is on sale for $9.99. Sega knows this and that is why we can't get another VF in the style of VF5.
Then so be it, what would be the point of reviving the IP if you're gonna change it so much it becomes something completely different?

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Virtua Fighter needs a complete overhaul in everything except the gameplay. Does anybody really care about the saga surrounding J6? Would anyone really prefer the corny characterization of the cast over anything else? Did the last soundtrack slap?

Thank you! People act like making some tweaks to a game that only sells half a million units in 12 years is tantamount to sacrilege. They need to get out of 2007 and into 2019.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Some of the things you proposed about VF and SC aren't "some tweaks".

Well it is a bit much to call it a tweak...

NetherRealm Studios would develop a 2D game with proper character motivations. Most importantly they'd probably ditch Dural and get a proper end boss. NRS could then incorporate most of the cast of Streets of Rage into VF6. This game would no doubt sell 6 million units.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well it is a bit much to call it a tweak...

NetherRealm Studios would develop a 2D game with proper character motivations. Most importantly they'd probably ditch Dural and get a proper end boss. NRS could then incorporate most of the cast of Streets of Rage into VF6. This game would no doubt sell 6 million units.
And how exactly would that be Virtua Fighter?

Lore stuff and SoR fighters are fine, however why would any one want VF to turn into Mortal Kombat?

Why not make a whole new fighter at this point?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I think this image sums up the last few pages of this thread accurately.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thank you! People act like making some tweaks to a game that only sells half a million units in 12 years is tantamount to sacrilege. They need to get out of 2007 and into 2019.

You're not suggesting tweaks, you're suggesting they make something that isn't Virtua Fighter and slapping its name on it to try and trick people into buying something else.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
And how exactly would that be Virtua Fighter?

Lore stuff and SoR fighters are fine, however why would any one want VF to turn into Mortal Kombat?

Why not make a whole new fighter at this point?

After NRS has raised Virtua Fighter from the dead I'd be perfectly fine with handing back the franchise to its proper creators to try and keep the ball rolling.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After NRS has raised Virtua Fighter from the dead I'd be perfectly fine with handing back the franchise to its proper creators to try and keep the ball rolling.
Alright, so to sum up your plan:

-Turn VF into a 2d fighter made by NRS with Story focus
-Change the lore into something else
-Give characters more personality
-6 Million copies sold.

Here is why you are wrong: If Virtua Fighter has no appeal and changed into a MK style game, then why would anybody play it if they can just play MK?

The appeal of Virtua Fighter is the fact it has some amazing graphics and animations that still looks great to this day, it has simple yet deep mechanics with no supers or all that flashy shit. It is a simple fighting game and that's why people want it back. The games similiar to it these days are Tekken and Dead or Alive, and these games have the flashy shit so if someone wanted to play VF with that stuff then they can play those.

Nobody cares about the story much, people want VF to come back because of the amazing gameplay, graphics and animations that is still great to this day.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Alright, so to sum up your plan:

-Turn VF into a 2d fighter made by NRS with Story focus
-Change the lore into something else
-Give characters more personality
-6 Million copies sold.

Here is why you are wrong: If Virtua Fighter has no appeal and changed into a MK style game, then why would anybody play it if they can just play MK?

The appeal of Virtua Fighter is the fact it has some amazing graphics and animations that still looks great to this day, it has simple yet deep mechanics with no supers or all that flashy shit. It is a simple fighting game and that's why people want it back. The games similiar to it these days are Tekken and Dead or Alive, and these games have the flashy shit so if someone wanted to play VF with that stuff then they can play those.

Nobody cares about the story much, people want VF to come back because of the amazing gameplay, graphics and animations that is still great to this day.

All half a million of you. Dead or Alive is for horny young men. Yu Suzuki is most likely ashamed.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
It would be nice to have a new VF5 but guess they figure the market is too niche

I remember playing this game with my friends a ton back in the day.

Can we at least get Yakuza 6 on Steam... That way I can play it on PC

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly the fighting game market seems pretty well saturated and sega putting the time money and effort to make a VF6 seems like a lot of risk without a ton of reward. I'd love a VF6 but given the state of Sega and how the franchise has basically steadily trailed downward since 3, I just don't see it happening unless someone besides Sega does it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Honestly the fighting game market seems pretty well saturated and sega putting the time money and effort to make a VF6 seems like a lot of risk without a ton of reward. I'd love a VF6 but given the state of Sega and how the franchise has basically steadily trailed downward since 3, I just don't see it happening unless someone besides Sega does it.
The market for actual 3D fighters much less so.

There's the two Namco franchises and DoA. That's it.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
The market for actual 3D fighters much less so.

There's the two Namco franchises and DoA. That's it.
I guess I don't understand the point of this? He's saying the market for all fighters is saturated, which it 100% is. Look at how hard it is for maximilian dood to keep up.

I do think we might potentially get a respite here as we await next gen

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I guess I don't understand the point of this? He's saying the market for all fighters is saturated, which it 100% is. Look at how hard it is for maximilian dood to keep up.

I do think we might potentially get a respite here as we await next gen
Are you saying that there's no meaningful distinction for the market at large between 2D and 3D fighters?

Because now that I think about it, that may be correct, which is kinda sad, considering my perception of the relative dearth of 3D fighters.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Are you saying that there's no meaningful distinction for the market at large between 2D and 3D fighters?

Because now that I think about it, that may be correct, which is kinda sad, considering my perception of the relative dearth of 3D fighters.
My point was more logical. I didn't mean to be rude. But trying to dispute the saturation of a parent category and then creating a sub category does not remove the saturation in the parent. The one guy said there are a lot of fighting games. And then you said, there are no 3D fighting games. Ok but there are still lots of fighting games. Just seems like there's no point you're making.

Though I would agree with the point you mention where you say there's no meaningful distinction between 2d and 3D fighters.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
My point was more logical. I didn't mean to be rude. But trying to dispute the saturation of a parent category and then creating a sub category does not remove the saturation in the parent. The one guy said there are a lot of fighting games. And then you said, there are no 3D fighting games. Ok but there are still lots of fighting games. Just seems like there's no point you're making.

Though I would agree with the point you mention where you say there's no meaningful distinction between 2d and 3D fighters.
I was saying that 3D fighters aren't as saturated because there's so few of them, but I realize that there is not much of a meaningful distinction for the average consumer in whether you can move sideways in a fighter or not.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I was saying that 3D fighters aren't as saturated because there's so few of them, but I realize that there is not much of a meaningful distinction for the average consumer in whether you can move sideways in a fighter or not.
There are still a lot of fighters though. And what people miss is that fighting games have incredibly long tails.

Oct 25, 2017
Just stop replying to the nonsensical deep violence lover that prefers things to be milked despite their identity than having good things with an end.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's strange because their last 5 games have been amazing. Pretty much everything they have touched since being acquired by Warner Brothers has been golden. I hope that NRS can either start to work on a new fighting game IP, or reboot an existing one.
I dont think their games are anywhere close to amazing, you enjoy them and a lot of others do, great! You want MK games, cool, theres a shitload of them and they are made in a very particular way that is antithetical to EVERYTHING a Virtua Fighter game is about, regardless of quality. Its not something that fans want and its been made pretty clear in this thread. I dont want Nintendo making Last of Us either, btw, and I love both companies.

NRS will continue their cycle of MK and Injustice games for the foreseeable future, with Injustice clearly being their experimentation heavy game.

Its not gonna happen and its a bad fit. Not everything is about sales. VF5 was a great game at the wrong time, thats all. Sega is a company not tied to the IP because they have a lot of avenues to make games in (not the same for NRS, Capcom, SNK or Namco, btw, so when the time is right they'll bring it back on their own terms, not by giving it to Warner Brothers.

GusFacsimile

Oct 25, 2017
Loved VF5 and quest mode. Always thought Capcom missed a trick not doing a similar quest mode in SFV, built it around the CPT, have opponents named after the popular players etc, though I guess that gets into name licensing rights and all that, so probably not cost effective.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
I dont think their games are anywhere close to amazing, you enjoy them and a lot of others do, great! You want MK games, cool, theres a shitload of them and they are made in a very particular way that is antithetical to EVERYTHING a Virtua Fighter game is about, regardless of quality. Its not something that fans want and its been made pretty clear in this thread. I dont want Nintendo making Last of Us either, btw, and I love both companies.

NRS will continue their cycle of MK and Injustice games for the foreseeable future, with Injustice clearly being their experimentation heavy game.

Its not gonna happen and its a bad fit. Not everything is about sales. VF5 was a great game at the wrong time, thats all. Sega is a company not tied to the IP because they have a lot of avenues to make games in (not the same for NRS, Capcom, SNK or Namco, btw, so when the time is right they'll bring it back on their own terms, not by giving it to Warner Brothers.

You're right! You and Sega can keep practicing.
HowToNotBeM2K.png

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Keep VF as VF. VF6 could succeed on it's own merits.

If AM2 wants to change the fundamentals for a flashier, more casal draw, have them do it with Fighting Vipers 3, Fighters Megamix 2 or something else entirely new.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I was just thinking about how much I'd like a new one last night. What a fantastic series. Absolutely wonderful and endlessly fun with super cool variations available for creative combos. I had a great time seeing what I could string together in training, and I never do get that into fighting games.

Oct 27, 2017
We're currently living in an era where games are being remade and series are being revived by some of the original developers with the assistance of newer developers who loved the shit out of these games. Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 7 are two examples that come to mind right away. Now is the perfect time for a Virtua Fighter 6. They don't have to reinvent the wheel for it to be a success they just have to get into the DNA of what made people fall in love with Virtua Fighter the first time.

Go back to the basics of what people loved about those games and start improving on shit. There's not THAT many characters in those games so I don't see why we can't have all of them right from the start. Of course it wouldn't be Virtua Fighter if every character didn't have their own stage so make sure that's a part of it too. Virtua Fighter music was some of the best music in Fighting Games so definitely get those composers back or at least rip off Tekken Tunes/Jukebox Mode.

Character customization was a fun addition to VF4 and VF5 went even deeper into that so definitely make sure that's part of a VF6. Quest mode could be fun. Single player content in general is needed in this day and age. Online multiplayer can only keep people interested for so long. You have to give them other reasons to want to come back to your game.

If DLC is necessary than make sure there's at least 2 new characters in the base game. The DLC should be all new characters that were never in VF before along with their stages and (lol) story mode. I lol'd because obviously the least likely thing to ever be in a VF game is a story mode. But wouldn't it be great if there was a decent one after all these years? Also if there has to be a guest character please make it be someone that will generate some kind of buzz outside of the small insulated community that is the FGC. Actually if they have to pick one fighting game character as a guest I would happily accept Leeroy Smith. He should already be released and beloved by the time a hypothetical VF6 is in development.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Hey if you're here to annoy people because a game you like makes money while treating its workers like absolute dogshit, its kind of a weird flex but go for it?

who cares about workers.... My favorite game makes the most money , that means MY OPINION IS ALWAYS RIGHT.
/s

We're currently living in an era where games are being remade and series are being revived by some of the original developers with the assistance of newer developers who loved the shit out of these games. Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 7 are two examples that come to mind right away. Now is the perfect time for a Virtua Fighter 6. They don't have to reinvent the wheel for it to be a success they just have to get into the DNA of what made people fall in love with Virtua Fighter the first time.

Go back to the basics of what people loved about those games and start improving on shit. There's not THAT many characters in those games so I don't see why we can't have all of them right from the start. Of course it wouldn't be Virtua Fighter if every character didn't have their own stage so make sure that's a part of it too. Virtua Fighter music was some of the best music in Fighting Games so definitely get those composers back or at least rip off Tekken Tunes/Jukebox Mode.

I think the issue here isn't the IP itself , but rather SEGAs lack of interest in wanting to make console games in the first place. They seem ok with funding shit that already makes money. But I really don't see them investing more to make new titles with a decent budget. Even Sonic hardly gets a big budget.

But who knows Sega keeps changing , maybe they might do it now. If this was any other publisher that owns the IP we would have gotten a new VF.

Its sad because VF would actually do really well. Tekken doing so well is proof enough , any other pub would have hopped on.

Oct 27, 2017
I really would like to know where they got these actors from.
The rumor was always that they just walked the streets looking for the first random people they could find that speak English and I wholeheartedly believe that because it just makes so much sense with these voices. Jackie is my favorite. "I got no time for YOU!"

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima would make fighting game characters with dope names, so there's that.

Backhand Punch
German Suplexhold
Round housekick
Full Nelsonhold
Floatinghip Throw

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Since we're all sharing bad ideas here, here's mine:

Sega should do a budget Virtua Fighter.

Not Virtua Fighter 6, but a Virtua Fighter Classic. Modern gameplay and animations, but blocky Virtua Fighter 2-style graphics in high resolution with cleaner textures and bright colors (especially the AM2 blue sky).

Play up the nostalgia. Play up the legacy. Sell it for $20 or $30. Optimize it for Switch, but release it on everything.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Since we're all sharing bad ideas here, here's mine:

Sega should do a budget Virtua Fighter.

Not Virtua Fighter 6, but a Virtua Fighter Classic. Modern gameplay and animations, but blocky Virtua Fighter 2-style graphics in high resolution with cleaner textures and bright colors (especially the AM2 blue sky).

Play up the nostalgia. Play up the legacy. Sell it for $20 or $30. Optimize it for Switch, but release it on everything.
Scotia 's ears just perked up.