• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
We'll only get a new VF, if Sega outsources to other companies, like they're doing with Streets and other games. No way they'll develop a new VF in their current state.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I love Virtua Fighter so much. It punishes bad moves like nothing else out there, can consequently matches are like short, brutal chess battles. And the variety of grounded, realistic fighting styles is unparalleled.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for VF6 for a long time, I really hope it gets brought back, it might not ever be as flashy as Bamco fighters or DOA, but I want to stand out again as the best technical fighter.

If they want flashy...make Fighters Megamix 2.

Come on AM2, get back to fighting games!

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Sega can put Final Showdown into a completely different game but won't sell it standalone. Just leaving money on the table.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
VF 5 FS is still my favorite fighting game ever but I made my peace with never getting a new one. Would be sweet though.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
VF5FS not on Steam is crime.
No VF6 announcement is cruel.

VF series pioneered so much. It deserves better.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They've had more VF characters in them than VF has in the past 10 years. Doing a better job than Sega is now.
tenor.gif

Final Showdown came out in 2011, so what you're saying isn't actually accurate. Besides, I care about playing as Akira in DOA as much as I care about playing the Genesis version of VF2.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fucking tragedy is what it is. I bought 5FS on PS3 and 360, and even bought all the DLC. I'll do it again for a modern re-release.

God fucking, VF4 and 5 were (and in some ways still are) so ahead of their time with their arcade iterations. The card system and network features for character customisation were so fucking forward-thinking and I still don't think any other fighting game has ever done the whole concept better. I hate custom characters, but visual character customisation is cool and in VF's case it was above and beyond, and the way that items were doled out between fighters in prize matches, and stuff like fighting people for the coloured orbs. With Quest mode, I just... nothing has ever come close since, to me. They nailed that whole aspect and they nailed it a long time ago.

Give me VF6, please, Sega. I've given you so much in my life. Give me this as an old man.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
We had good showings at Tournaments as of late. If you guys really care about the franchise show up to the events. Is that simple. Strike First even flew out know Japanese players to play with community members. They even sponsor Homestay Akira. VFDC has all this information. And we do monthly's in NYC. There is also a West Coast gathering coming up in Los Angeles(2020)hosted by know community VF player Adam Yuki. He did one earlier in the year.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fucking tragedy how Sega is treating the series.

VF5:FS is easily still the best 3D fighter to date with some of the best character animation.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I love VF but sadly todays market requires an FG to have either Easy Skill ,Anime-esque or Flashy looking moves,Really good Story/Characters or Fan service like DOA.

Every big FG right now has some of these.
VF is super hard and more complex than the hardest games out there right now.

And while I personally like its roster and more grounded characters, the majority of FG gamers would prefer characters like say Jin ,Scorpion or Sol to someone like Akira. It doesn't really have a big Story as such either like MK.

They would have to radically change VF in order to survive in today's FG market. I dont know how they can bring it back while still doing justice to the series.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
VF.TV wasn't a failure, it was a success, and Bamco copied this for Gundam and Tekken Tag 2 (I forget if they used it for Tekken 6, but whatever).
When other people steal your feature and use it later to greater success ... yes, it was a failure. Not by design, thats why it was ahead of its time. Amazing idea, good execution, but the market wasnt ready.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I would absolutely kill for a Virtua Fighter in a style similar to those Indie games with minimal polygon graphics.

I basically want 2 all over again

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Virtua Fighter 5 came out in 2006, for the PS3
The first iPhone came out a year later
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown came out in 2012, for the PS3. You know, the same year Avengers ONE came out.

Since then, your best bet to play the game is to visit the arcade in Yakuza 6

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

VIRTUA FIGHTER IS AMAZING

VF5 in the arcades was INCREDIBLY ahead of its time with the concept of VF5 TV, SEGA wanted to turn the game into an esports spectacle before we even thought that was a viable thing and ... it failed because we werent ready for it. Heres what was going in the FGC circa 2006: Street Fighter was a DEAD franchise, Tekken 6 would not be out for a year, Soul Calibur 3 was a year old and wasnt received as well as SC2, DoA 4 revitalized the IP somewhat but didnt show lasting power and EVO was still ruled by Mahvel and 3rd Strike. The genre was in dire straits, it was just there with no real appeal to anybody outside the genre.

vz4kchykehmwoeu9zkrf.gif

To this day VF5 remains elegant, polished, animated to near perfection and, to my taste, actually displays the best romanticized version of "actual fighting" in a videogame. With todays focus on fighting games, streaming, televised tournaments, EVO ... man, the time is right for it to come back full force. SEGA has the complete capability to take on this task and make something truly special.

Hell, think of the "guest" characters

KAZUMA KIRYU

kazuma-kiryu.jpg

RYO HAZUKI

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

AKIHIKO SANADA

latest

Plus all the cool 3rd party characters that would be natural fits from Tekken or Street Fighter or hell, get some IP Man in there, fuck it, go get John Wick! A full fledges PS5 launch Virtua Fighter 6 could be the stuff of legends. The market is more than ready for it.

If they made VF6 and it did not feature kiryu it would be criminal

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this happens for the VF community, it's been way too long, and they deserve it.

Personally though, I've tried really hard to get into VF because I feel like I'm supposed to, but it just never clicks. Always felt like work to play. I even preferred Tekken 4 to VF4, which is probably considered sacrilege.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love VF but sadly todays market requires an FG to have either Easy Skill ,Anime-esque or Flashy looking moves,Really good Story/Characters or Fan service like DOA.

And while I personally like its roster and more grounded characters, the majority of FG gamers would prefer characters like say Jin ,Scorpion or Sol to someone like Akira. It doesn't really have a big Story as such either like MK.

They would have to radically change VF in order to survive in today's FG market. I dont know how they can bring it back while still doing justice to the series.

Gotta disagree.

Imo Virtua Fighter is in the same position that SamSho was in that its formula is still very much its own and there is no other fighter on the market like it.

If Sega makes a new VF and modernizes the visuals etc. then it will sell.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I re-bought VF5FS very recently, and was pretty much instantly back to lamenting how this series just can't find the footing it deserves.

Sure, it's not as flashy as DoA or Tekken, but that's what I like about it, dangit.

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, VF story could easily be MK like with all the clone robots and shady organizations. It's a matter of framing (and budget).

Character design is easily the bigger issue for breaking to mainstream appeal.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
To be fair, VF story could easily be MK like with all the clone robots and shady organizations. It's a matter of framing (and budget).

Character design is easily the bigger issue for breaking to mainstream appeal.
Just once, I'd like to see a fighting game story that's just about a fighting tournament.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I dunno man. VF isn't that hard, you only use three buttons, and one of them is guarding. It's kinda simple. It ain't that complex, and it's really easy to get into it to be honest. You don't have to be a master to have fun with it.

Now in terms of presentation they really should switch it up. They need to get rid of the amateur voice acting and update the character designs. Anyways, not like VF6 is gonna exist or anything...

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

VF being hard has always been a myth. Tekken is way more difficult than VF is and it's only growing in popularity.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
To everyone quoting me on changing the char designs. How exactly would Sega do it ? I kinda like the grounded characters.
But every other FG nowadays basically has Anime-esque or edgelord characters backstories. I kinda dont want VF to just be another one like that.

As for visuals , VF used to be the RDR2 or GOW of graphics in the 90s. There is noway Sega is going to be able to afford that level now. Infact even justifying Tekken level graphics is going to be hard.

Gotta disagree.

Imo Virtua Fighter is in the same position that SamSho was in that its formula is still very much its own and there is no other fighter on the market like it.

If Sega makes a new VF and modernizes the visuals etc. then it will sell.
Gameplay or formula is not the issue though. Even Sam Sho has an anime aesthetic and flashy looking supers,issen...etc that is marketable to gamers of today.
How exactly are you going to market VF , your average gamer doesn't really care about depth or mechanics.

They are going to look at it and say , " It looks like Tekken with boring characters "

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Jeffry's story should just be him fighting different kinds of sharks until he finally fights the Devil Shark. This is ripped from another fighting game (I don't remember the name) but I don't care.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
VF being hard has always been a myth. Tekken is way more difficult than VF is and it's only growing in popularity.

Even if we completely ignore the conversation about which game is harder. Tekken has so many other things that gets people into their community.

Tekken doesn't need to "break in" to the market , its always been there and has had steady releases. For VF to come in after nearly a decade of absence, it would need to become an easier game to get into or have other things in its favor to be markettable.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if we completely ignore the conversation about which game is harder. Tekken has so many other things that gets people into their community.

Tekken doesn't need to "break in" to the market , its always been there and has had steady releases. For VF to come in after nearly a decade of absence, it would need to become an easier game to get into or have other things in its favor to be markettable.

I was only responding to the difficulty.

VF is dead and waxing nostalgic about how it could come back or what should change if it does is pointless to me.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Ya, it's also been so long it's cast has lost the mindshare except among veterans. People just getting into fighting games around SF4 would barely have any connection to the characters, if any at all.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay or formula is not the issue though. Even Sam Sho has an anime aesthetic and flashy looking supers,issen...etc that is marketable to gamers of today.
How exactly are you going to market VF , your average gamer doesn't really care about depth or mechanics.

They are going to look at it and say , " It looks like Tekken with boring characters "

Sorry but I don't see how characters like Jean, El Blaze, Vanessa, Goh etc. are boring.

Jacky is way cooler than Law, if you want to make direct comparisons.

VF5 has better character animation than Tekken. Make new character models with modernized designs, refine the animations some more and they are good to go.

And obviously there would be some brand new characters as well.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but I don't see how characters like Jean, El Blaze, Vanessa, Goh etc. are boring.

Jacky is way cooler than Law, if you want to make direct comparisons.

VF5 has better character animation than Tekken. Make new character models with modernized designs, refine the animations some more and they are good to go.

And obviously there would be some brand new characters as well.

I mean , if you ask me am not really disagreeing with that. Just repeating what most others say. Seems to be a common complaint from people who don't get into it.
And VF sales were declining from 4 to 5. Their moves are also less flashier than Tekken.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ya, it's also been so long it's cast has lost the mindshare except among veterans. People just getting into fighting games around SF4 would barely have any connection to the characters, if any at all.

This is a great point. I was selling artwork at EVO and obviously every person walking the halls there is a fighting game fan, they were looking at my illustration of Guile vs Abel and some of them had a hard time recognizing Abel.

Think about that

Some of these guys are in their early twenties, so to them a game that came out ELEVEN years ago when they were 10 or 12 is some vintage thing they have barely heard of ... and thats Street Fighter IV! VF5 is TWO years older! There is SUCH a big audience that has never tried Virtua Fighter that would eat that shit up if it was brought back to relevance with a new entry.

I agree. But i don't think VF sells enough for them to make another one. 😔

Thats a moot point. When VF5 came out the market was completely different, the FGC was completely different, streaming wasnt a thing, gighting games werent selling very well ... hell, under that math youre using, Street Fighter would have remained dead. Its a bad argument, dont buy into it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WHAT

Looks like I'm picking up an XB1. I absolutely LOVE Virtua Fighter and I would love to see a new game. I will seriously drop every other fighting game I'm playing right now just to focus on VF.
Yeah, this thread got me to redownload it on my XB1 and play it. It still looks good.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
I always hoped SEGA would port Virtua Fighter 3tb, 4 EVO and 5 FS to current gen consoles (and PC) as a way to keep the series in peoples mind but to also have these games in 4k and with non crappy audio quality (poor 5 FS on Xbox 360).

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Ww0XkF7.gif

WHAT

Looks like I'm picking up an XB1. I absolutely LOVE Virtua Fighter and I would love to see a new game. I will seriously drop every other fighting game I'm playing right now just to focus on VF.

VF2 arcade should also be available on there but I haven't checked to see if it is still up for sale..