• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
As a big Sega fan, I have a huge amount of respect for what VF did for fighting games , it's a seminal series.

But honestly, today, I just dont think it's flashy enough to attract a significant enough audience. It's the definition of niche now, and I don't mean that as a criticism of the games quality.

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Virtua fighter would come back it offers an experience not adequately replicated by anything else on the market currently.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why, yes, yes it does.

(also, while kinda random and OT, bring back Virtua Tennis while you're at it plz)

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prediction: VF6 will be announced at Microsoft's E3 press conference next year as a Scarlett exclusive.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
100% back this. In fact if you ran for president of the country you live in with this as your main platform I'd vote you in, M4A be damned.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Virtua Fighter 5 came out in 2006, for the PS3
The first iPhone came out a year later
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown came out in 2012, for the PS3. You know, the same year Avengers ONE came out.

Since then, your best bet to play the game is to visit the arcade in Yakuza 6

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

VIRTUA FIGHTER IS AMAZING

VF5 in the arcades was INCREDIBLY ahead of its time with the concept of VF5 TV, SEGA wanted to turn the game into an esports spectacle before we even thought that was a viable thing and ... it failed because we werent ready for it. Heres what was going in the FGC circa 2006: Street Fighter was a DEAD franchise, Tekken 6 would not be out for a year, Soul Calibur 3 was a year old and wasnt received as well as SC2, DoA 4 revitalized the IP somewhat but didnt show lasting power and EVO was still ruled by Mahvel and 3rd Strike. The genre was in dire straits, it was just there with no real appeal to anybody outside the genre.

vz4kchykehmwoeu9zkrf.gif

To this day VF5 remains elegant, polished, animated to near perfection and, to my taste, actually displays the best romanticized version of "actual fighting" in a videogame. With todays focus on fighting games, streaming, televised tournaments, EVO ... man, the time is right for it to come back full force. SEGA has the complete capability to take on this task and make something truly special.

Hell, think of the "guest" characters

KAZUMA KIRYU

kazuma-kiryu.jpg

RYO HAZUKI

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

AKIHIKO SANADA

latest

Plus all the cool 3rd party characters that would be natural fits from Tekken or Street Fighter or hell, get some IP Man in there, fuck it, go get John Wick! A full fledges PS5 launch Virtua Fighter 6 could be the stuff of legends. The market is more than ready for it.

VF.TV wasn't a failure, it was a success, and Bamco copied this for Gundam and Tekken Tag 2 (I forget if they used it for Tekken 6, but whatever).

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If Sega wants to do a VF6, they probably will assemble a team with the required talent

The only reason I think they wouldn't is if they'd expect a bigger ROI from a new Yakuza game since they'd probably use that team to make it.
Hell, that group put 5FS(B) into Yakuza 6, so they clearly must know a thing or two about the series

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only if it looks like Virtua Fighter 2 again as that look is easily the most unique thing it had. Once it turned into another generic 3D fighter it failed to stand out.

Oct 25, 2017
I've given up. SEGA only cares about Sonic these days.
🤔
If we ignore Sonic, Sega still is keeping with:
Yakuza Studio games
Total War games
Sega AGES
Puyo Puyo
Sakura Wars
Atlus games
Monkey Ball HD
Shining/BLADE games
PSO2
Football Manager games
Valkyria Chronicles
Miku games
+ mobages
+ PC ports (Bayo, Vanquish)
+ publishing games like Dengeki Bunko, Sol Seraph, Tembo...

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'd be happy if they'd just port Virtua Fight 5 FS in 4k, but with VF 5 Online's awesome single player modes.

Virtua Fighter 5 was indeed amazing, and deserves to be around, but there's a lot to be excited about as a fighting game fan these days.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Despite being a Sega guy since the age of 9, I've always liked the more accessible Dead or Alive better. But I'd buy a new Virtua Fighter any day.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I think they wouldn't is if they'd expect a bigger ROI from a new Yakuza game since they'd probably use that team to make it.
Hell, that group put 5FS(B) into Yakuza 6, so they clearly must know a thing or two about the series
Well I mean Sega Japan can't live just with Yakuza games... can't they?

Oct 26, 2017
1) release Final Showdown on PS4 with legacy stick support (sorry, playing it in Yakuza without a stick and my custom designs was just a damn tease) and the virtual arcade mode from VF4 Evo.
2) announce VF6 for next gen.
3) include all characters but make all those little cosmetic items DLC
4) ?
5) profit!

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Let's get Maximilian involved
#Bring back VF.

(At least the game still lives on through BC on Xbox One)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To me it's really sad that VF has missed out on the FG renaissance. My biggest disappointment with Sega.

Is the VF5 team even around anymore? I assume they're wasting away working on abject garbage.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Only if it looks like Virtua Fighter 2 again as that look is easily the most unique thing it had. Once it turned into another generic 3D fighter it failed to stand out.

What is that you like about VF2 that was lost in VF3? It started to look more realistic starting with VF4 but it still retains the SEGA Arcade excellence and charm I think. Hard to imagine VF evolving in any other way.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
🤔
Yakuza Studio games
Total War games
Sega AGES
Puyo Puyo
Sakura Wars
Atlus games
Monkey Ball HD
Shining/BLADE games
PSO2
Football Manager games
Valkyria Chronicles
Miku games
+ mobages

Stop making sense! I need to make wild accusations!

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong.

But at this point, I wonder if there's even an "AM2" that could get together and make something happen. Some of those people are working in the Yakuza team, now, right?

The actual management positions from AM2 are occupied by long time VF devs/producers. VF5 director is still at the studio too. Seems like the higher-ups at Sega dont want to green-light a new entry : /

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is that you like about VF2 that was lost in VF3? It started to look more realistic starting with VF4 but it still retains the SEGA Arcade excellence and charm I think. Hard to imagine VF evolving in any other way.

1 and 2 to me just looks very unique. You look at those games and you instantly know it's Virtua Fighter. I can't speak much for 3 or 4 but every time I look at 5 I think it just looks so generic. You could show me any screen from that game and tell me it's from DoA and I'd believe you.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bummer but I'd expect that if it ever does get announced, it probably won't be an arcade game. Even coming from Sega.

I'd still hoot and holler, of course.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
🤔
Yakuza Studio games
Total War games
Sega AGES
Puyo Puyo
Sakura Wars
Atlus games
Monkey Ball HD
Shining/BLADE games
PSO2
Football Manager games
Valkyria Chronicles
Miku games
+ mobages

The crazy thing is Sega's library and range is so vast that you can be a Sega fan and not care about all these.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Man, virtua fighter V still looks beautiful, it was indeed ahead of its time, it should've been a BOOM in the genre, the demand wasnt quite there in that year yet.

Now the closest thing we have are the guest characters in dead or alive :(

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 and 2 to me just looks very unique. You look at those games and you instantly know it's Virtua Fighter. I can't speak much for 3 or 4 but every time I look at 5 I think it just looks so generic. You could show me any screen from that game and tell me it's from DoA and I'd believe you.

VF5FS in motion is astounding, those animations are unparalleled. And the gameplay is amazing, you should give it a try ; )

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
🤔
Yakuza Studio games
Total War games
Sega AGES
Puyo Puyo
Sakura Wars
Atlus games
Monkey Ball HD
Shining/BLADE games
PSO2
Football Manager games
Valkyria Chronicles
Miku games
+ mobages

And they licensed out the Panzer Dragoon remake and Streets of Rage 4 and Shenmue 3, as well as that Mega Drive mini and M2's ports on classic SEGA games, which are all series from the "classic era" of SEGA, so it's definitely better nowadays than it was around 10 years ago, for sure.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man, virtua fighter V still looks beautiful, it was indeed ahead of its time, it should've been a BOOM in the genre, the demand wasnt quite there in that year yet.

Now the closest thing we have are the guest characters in dead or alive :(
You could say it's still ahead.

QbpcYhT.gif

This 2006 game has better animation than current 3D fighters. How is that possible.

Jun 12, 2018
The fighting game scene is booming right now. If anything the op is right, now is the perfect time to bring it back. Every fighter seems to be finding success.

Get Suzuki back on board after Shenmue 3 and we'll have one hell of a great game.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tekken has much better visual effects, which I think appeal more to people than high quality animations
Well yeah theres been way more Tekken games made with evolving tech

tbh though, I never liked the FIREWORKS that come out of peoples fists in Tekken when people get hit. Its annoying and out of place

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I wake up each day hope for Virtua Fighter 6 and go to sleep every night disappointed.