• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How can a game that is essentially 13 years old still look so good.

CS5RSTT.gif

ywxixSF.gif

QbpcYhT.gif

Explain this, science.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
So similar to VF itself? VF4 practically invented that.

Sorry but I had to nitpick that one.
I agree that VF basically invented that, and that's the issue with using / / / instead of making a proper sentence.
I meant even more in depth. VF5's quest mode is great, training and tutorial are really missing in terms of depth compared to the two I've talked about now ( more frame/distance data, accessibility, options, details, etc).

edit: my post wasn't necessarily a "what they need to do over VF5" btw, more what they should do now, and tried to be understandable for people that didn't play much VF.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
getout.gif

I agree that VF basically invented that, and that's the issue with using / / / instead of making a proper sentence.
I meant even more in depth. VF5's quest mode is great, training and tutorial are really missing in terms of depth compared to the two I've talked about now ( more frame/distance data, accessibility, options, details, etc).

edit: my post wasn't necessarily a "what they need to do over VF5" btw, more what they should do now, and tried to be understandable for people that didn't play much VF.
What you're asking for is the single player content from VF4Evo on PS2, not VF5FS. VF5 was a step down from Evo, which is still the king of tutorial for a fighting game. The quest mode in it even took it a step further and had you use what you learned in the tutorials to get better, and it worked.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
What you're asking for is the single player content from VF4Evo on PS2, not VF5FS. VF5 was a step down from Evo, which is still the king of tutorial for a fighting game. The quest mode in it even took it a step further and had you use what you learned in the tutorials to get better, and it worked.
I agree, and that's what I've said in my post lol. Although VF4EVO's tutorial is not any better than DOA or KI's one nowadays.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I agree, and that's what I've said in my post lol. Although VF4EVO's tutorial is not any better than DOA or KI's one nowadays.
KI's is close, for sure, but I cannot say as good. KI's was certainly impressive but the situations it put you in for it and lack of reinforcement makes it not as good, IMO. I've yet to go through DOA6's because I don't feel that I really need to.

Apr 21, 2018
Are the people who made Virtua Fighter great even working at Sega anymore?
Director, producer of VF 5 Osaki and Kataoka still work at Sega. AM2 is far from producing low cost anime games. (R-Tuned, After Burner Climax, Border Break, Soul Reverse)

Sega left by all the talents is a ridiculous and insulting cliche for all the remaining AAA developpers that led Sega to the top 3 ranking company, the only one that never has fallen under 75% on metacritic the past few year.

KEY STAFF OF SEGA JAPAN STILL AVAILABLE FOR ICONIC IPs( few examples):

Sakura Wars = Akira Nishino (director of some Sakura Taisen episodes)

Shinobi = Takao Hirabayashi (Shinobi, NightShade)

Sangokushi Taisen = Toru Ohara (Main Director of Sangokushi Taisen)

Out Run = Makoto osaki (director of Out Run 2, Shenmue)

Shenmue = Seiji Aoki (VF4 Evo, Out Run 2)/
Daisuke Sato (VF3, Yakuza)/Toshihiro Nagoshi

Daytona USA = Toshihiro Nagoshi (Creator of the serie)

Virtual On = Juro Watari (director, producer on Virtual On)

Jet Set Radio = Masayoshi Kikuchi (director of JSR and JSRF)

Panzer Dragoon = Takashi Iwade (Art Director of Panzer Dragoon Orta)

Virtua Fighter = Hiroshi Kataoka (Director of Fighting Vipers,megamix,and producer of VF4 evo, 5FS)

Alex Kidd = Rieko Kodama (Key Role for Alex Kidd)

Skies of Arcadia = Shuntaro Tanaka (Director of SOA)

Answer X Answer = AM1 (AM1 still active)

Space Channel = Takumi Yoshinaga (Story and
Game Design Director of Space Channel)

Nights = Takashi Iizuka (lead game designer), naofumi hataya
(composer for Nights, Burning Rangers, Sega Rally, Golden Axe)

As you can see, Kataoka, who is also the director of the Sega fan favorite of the recent sega saturn thread on Era is still kicking asses at AM2.

Ask him a Fighter Megamix 2 with Lan Di, Majima and even Virtua Fighter haters will like it ;)

Sega Boy

Last edited:

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Better to accept that Konami is more likely to make a new mainline Silent Hill game than Sega is to make a new mainline Virtua Fighter game.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
You don't get it. The whole point of the series is that characters look exactly what they are: martial artists with the respective gis of their art.

Make them more flashy and you alienate the admittedly tiny fanbase of the series, including me.
The only character who needs to be redesigned is Vanessa back to her VF4 design because wow what were they even thinking?

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever they do i hope they don't dumb anything down to cater to a "wider audience" aka scrubs like every other fighter seems to be doing especially 3d fighters adding in supers, meters, comeback mechanics and all sorta crutches to make noobs feel that aren't as bad as they actually are. VF is the one series where pure skill, fundamentals, and knowledge is who detects a winner not gimmicks and bs so i want it to stay that way.

Apr 21, 2018
[QUOTE="jett, post: How can a game that is essentially 13 years old still look so good.[/QUOTE]
When the preview screenshots for the PS3 version were out, i remember the shitstorm of many gamers: "Akira's face lacks details", "the textures are ugly", "LOL, Sega".
Then they shut up their mouths when they saw the lights, animations on youtube. Bullshots are bad for health...

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a console release of VF5 that has content-parity with the latest Arcade version?

If not, can we have that to begin with?

To me, as it was the first one, and it's a pretty demanding game, VF should definitely be 3D fighter that pushes the limits and experiment with real modern tech and ways to design a 3d fighter. More realism, body physics etc..

Yes, it would be great if VF6 could be a next-gen title.

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there a console release of VF5 that has content-parity with the latest Arcade version?

If not, can we have that to begin with?
The XBLA/PSN release is missing some SP stuff but it has a bunch of features not in the arcade version like training, replays, challenges, tutorial etc. IMO content parity with the arcade version is a downgrade from what we actually got.

Oct 30, 2017
[QUOTE="jett, post: How can a game that is essentially 13 years old still look so good.
When the preview screenshots for the PS3 version were out, i remember the shitstorm of many gamers: "Akira's face lacks details", "the textures are ugly", "LOL, Sega".
Then they shut up their mouths when they saw the lights, animations in motion. Bullshots are bad for health...
AM2 really were magicians.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It needs a better story that actually explores the characters and makes them more interesting. Currently, I love the gameplay of VF, but I don't play long as I find all characters boring and plain. It says something when Ryu has more character than your mc.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Virtua Fighter 4 and 5 were both really good, it probably would just need to add online and maybe more features challenge modes.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Virtua Fighter 4 and 5 were both really good, it probably would just need to add online and maybe more features challenge modes.

VF5 was online on 360, and VF5FS was online on both PS3 and 360. FS actually had some challenges modes, but the main draw was the online for sure.

Fire it up!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hot Take, but I guess that the main issue that SEGA has to develop a new VF games is that they don't know if the cost of making a worthy sequel of Virtua Fighter is justified with the declining profits from arcades and that there is no way that is going to get massive sales in consoles

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly just be happy with a Virtua Fighter collection at this point. We need a proper port of VF3.

Dec 30, 2017
- Online in VS Fighting games are pretty average. Here is where Sega may play their cards first
- More emphasize on the "encyclopedia" aspect of the game. VF and Bushido Blade were among the few VS games dealing with the traditional culture of martial arts rather than fantasy.
- As Orioto said, a new step forward in the genre would be welcomed since innovation is part of the franchise DNA.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Firstly I would be happy with just a modern port of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown on PC. A PlayStation 4 port would be cool too and Xbox One has BC but that should probably get a new port anyways. I doubt it would do well on Nintendo Switch at all but hell why not if they are feeling generous.

As for Virtua Fighter 6 proper, I totally understand why it has not happened yet. It is not an easy project to do well and modern fighters just have way different expectations. I do have some ideas for how I think they should go about it though. Many of these will not be easy to do.

1- Soft reboot. None of the characters grow old anymore going forward and everyone's age reverts to something that better fits their style/persona. Pai and Lion work better as teens than they do people in their 40s, but that age is fine for Akira or Wolf I suppose.

2- Entire cast returns (except maaaaybe Jean Kujo), but several get visual makeovers to make them more memorable without going too far. Give us Siba and like two more girls. Maybe bring in someone from Fighting Vipers and conjoin their universes. Honey/Candy is still pretty popular all things considered and I am sure people would be caught off guard by Bahn.

3- No meter, fireballs or comeback mechanics of any sort, but they need to create moments that are visually hype for casual onlookers to enjoy. Just do not rip of Tekken 7's slow motion finishers.

4- Keep the aesthetics in line with that late 90s SEGA arcade vibe, but shake up something to make the visuals and characters more distinct and memorable. I would love to see them try to implement the VF1 style models into the gameplay somehow.

5- Story should not be a major priority, but giving each character their own path of sorts in Quest Mode could go a long way. Just replace the arcades with like dojos around the world. I know they are different devs, but I would love to see something like Virtua Tennis 4's World Tour mode be another side mode for single player here. Do not forget the minigames!

6- Make arcade a priority for a year or even two to properly establish the base of the game as best as possible. Launch on consoles and PC with an optional F2P version on the same day. Plan at least two years of content beyond that.

7- Support the scene! SEGA did an alright-ish job before, but they really need to get people hype and dedicated to the game. The Tekken World Tour has done incredible things for T7's growth and it could work just as easily for VF. The problem here is that SEGA would probably need to hire a lot of new people capable of handling this sort of thing.

8- I am fine with guest characters, but nothing crazy, please (sorry, Bayonetta). This makes securing a unique and noteworthy enough choice rather difficult, but I doubt most people would mind Kazuma Kiryu showing up, like has been mentioned before. Beyond that there should be loads of potential cosplay options for classic SEGA characters. We had stuff like Ulala in the last game, but they could go way further than that.​

VF6 could be a big success if it's similar quality to the rest of the games and the timing is right. Targeting launch windows for the next Xbox and PlayStation could go a long way.

I'd honestly just be happy with a Virtua Fighter collection at this point. We need a proper port of VF3.
This too. Namco's Harada has stated he does not believe there is a significant market for retro 3D fighting game re-releases and I kind of see it, but VF fans would probably go way out of their way to support a product like this. ESPECIALLY if it had online for all or even most games.

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
I don't think VF has the mainstream appeal in 2019 to justify a full sequel, make a budget priced digital only title based heavily off VF5FS.

A free base version with a single buy in to get all characters would be nice. Just make a robust online mode and the best kumite/quest mode they can afford to develop then look at monetizing/expanding the game further if it's successful enough.

oh and give crossplay pls

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I don't think VF has the mainstream appeal in 2019 to justify a full sequel, make a budget priced digital only title based heavily off VF5FS.

A free base version with a single buy in to get all characters would be nice. Just make a robust online mode and the best kumite/quest mode they can afford to develop then look at monetizing/expanding the game further if it's successful enough.

oh and give crossplay pls
The thing is, arcade would always be a priority in a scenario where Virtua Fighter 6 exists. I think they would not mind taking a bit of a hit with their budget to make a cool looking game right out of the gate to attract players.

If something like Under Night In-Birth can get several non-budget home releases than so can VF. I do agree that a F2P version for the home release should be a priority though.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Eh, I never would go to Virtua Fighter for story mode, so why would I start now? I think the best thing Virtua fighter 6 can do is stick to what Virtua fighter has done before and they'll find success(albeit potentially niche, but still). Just have a pretty strong online mode, deep character customization, Good in depth tutorial mode for newcomers, next gen graphics, new characters along with a guest character here and there, and they'd have a pretty solid sequel in their hands.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Would VF get criticized for lacking a story mode?

Most of these cinematic fighting game story modes in Japanese FGs make me feel that the money would be better spent on making a bunch of good cinematics to unlock in arcade mode or something.

I think this would be a great median, if a fighting game doesn't have a story mode it generally at least has an arcade mode with unlockable cutscenes. That wouldn't be too much to ask i'd think.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
While I would prefer them not spend resources on something like that, I always thought it was a bit odd that so many fans considered Virtua Fighter having a story mode of some sort as an almost betrayal of it's origins.

I mean, this exists:

And this:

There is also an anime that had two seasons. Totally worth checking out!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
My problem with these recently fashionable cinematic story modes is that most of them are so fucking boring and awkward.

Like, how many of them involve a bunch of fighting game dudes standing in a room awkwardly and having wooden dialogue about some evil plot?

I have no faith that SEGA would deliver something better than the rest of the industry.

I would rather watch a goofy cinematic of Jeffrey trying to catch his big fish than watch him standing around some conference room in his pants only get up while they are being debriefed about Dural 3000 or some such.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My problem with these recently fashionable cinematic story modes is that most of them are so fucking boring and awkward.

Like, how many of them involve a bunch of fighting game dudes standing in a room awkwardly and having wooden dialogue about some evil plot?

I have no faith that SEGA would deliver something better than the rest of the industry.

I would rather watch a goofy cinematic of Jeffrey trying to catch his big fish than watch him standing around some conference room in his pants only get up while they are being debriefed about Dural 3000 or some such.
So, like arcade mode endings?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Quest mode from VF4, multiplied by 100. VF doesn't need story, but there's plenty of scope for SP content. A training mode on par with VF4 Evo would also help a lot.
Listen to this man. VF4's quest mode was the best way to play this single player, and an online enabled version of this with dynamic quests would be amazing.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Virtua Fighter was the premiere 3D fighting game franchise. However, since the release of the latest title, a lot has changed since it was released:

1. Story modes and the plot have become a much bigger part of fighting games
  2. DLC is a staple of the genre
  3. Online is a must these days
Taking all of that into account, how would Virtua Fighter adapt to today's industry? Even in its current installment, VF5, it has virtually no story in-game, and the series has slowly-growing roster with 2 added per title. With 20 available in VF5FS, that would mean 22 characters in a hypothetical VF6. Would that be enough? One thing is for sure, without a story and a smaller roster, they'd have to either change the way they proceed with VF6, or add a ton of modes/features in other forms. Things like a tournament mode, team battle, time trials, or maybe even a quest mode ala VF4/VF5. What would you all want? On one hand I do think it's interesting that VF has never had a properly-implemented story, but I think that they really have to find a way to make the game viable content-wise in a market where they'd have to compete with Tekken and DOA.

I think VF should go in a different direction. Do a return of VF4's Evo quest mode , and put in a story around that which is Pokemon-esque.
Make the quest mode the story. You go to different arcades to face and beat the bosses there. The quest mode itself was a lot of fun in VF4 (If you have a PS2, VF4 Evo is one of the best packages of content in a fighting game of all time)

Roster should be 21. All returning chars, 2 new ones as per tradition, and boss Dural. Maybe an expansion which adds 2 more new characters. Games like VF and SC actually get benefits from a smaller roster- it makes gimmickry less effective. I do think the VF roster needs improved voice acting, but otherwise is fine.

DLC should be customization pieces, which they tried a bit of with VF5 Vanilla.

Online- VF5 had good online, or par with Tekken 7's. It could always be improved, but it's not my highest priority. Crossplay would be more helpful than improving the actual netcode.

I think it would do well as a next-gen Xbox/PC crossplay title (VF folks tended to prefer the 360 even if that was due to VF5 vanilla PS3 not having any online and VF5FS having more issues online)

I love SC6, I love the Samsho revival, but I would sacrifice those games in a heartbeat for a good VF6.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018

NRS ones are handled quite well though, fights are part of the story. And they still have ladders with arcade endings. They just need to focus on specific aspects,rather that aim at everything.

Overall, the assumption that a new VF should have story modes and tons of characters, also assumes it should cost $60.

They could launch at $40, with 20 characters, Quest Mode, bunch of customization options (items,costumes, wallpapers,music) and even a bunch of other goodies (like VF Anniversary 2). Heck, VF4 Evolution had all that and launched at $20, ones of the best packages in fighting games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whoops, deleted it all by accident.
I think that would actually bring the roster to 22, including Dural FS had 20 characters so I guess they could add Siba and someone else, possibly adding two more characters via an expansion/DLC as they did with VF4EVO and VF5R. I think they could add Siba, a woman and maybe even have an out-there solution with Ryo and Kiryu as DLC?