• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
tenor.gif

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
If there really isn't a PC version, then Sega is dumber than I thought. What was the last third-party fighting game to be released and not have a PC version at least announced at the time?

C'mon Alyx. It could be worse. It could be PS4/Stadia-exclusive

Bahaha, I'm joking. No self respecting fighting game would launch as a STADIA EXCLUSIVE before releasing a PC version
Hahaha
Haha
Ha....

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't really like the new faces at all, but will buy to show support if it has rollback.
Worst case scenario I'll play VF5FS on my Series X.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Remade using the Dragon Engine... that's... concerning. Hopefully it means just graphically because I'm not sure I like the thought of them attempting to rebuild the combat engine of VF5 with an engine that has its own share of issues combat wise.

Otherwise, it'll be a nice PS+ freebie. I'd honestly have rather just had a perfect port of 5FS with quest mode added and good netcode.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played Final Showdown (through the Yakuza games). I'm trash at the game and fighting games in general, but that one is really fun. I managed to get through the whole game (no continues) and beat Dural just by spamming the basic punch combo :)

Is this really coming to PS+? Might bite if it is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Remade using the Dragon Engine... that's... concerning. Hopefully it means just graphically because I'm not sure I like the thought of them attempting to rebuild the combat engine of VF5 with an engine that has its own share of issues combat wise.

Otherwise, it'll be a nice PS+ freebie. I'd honestly have rather just had a perfect port of 5FS with quest mode added and good netcode.

I don't really think that's how it works...like Yakuza combat has issues because of its game design, not because of the engine itself.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I cannot say that I am impressed. Looks like a typical Sega Low-effort release that is capitalizing on nostalgia.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Well SEGA didn't make anything regarding this IP because only recently they started putting resources into bringing these old IPs back at least officially.... and honestly... whether this title was 'funded' by sony or is just a moneyhat... is something thats to be proven by Sony or SEGA..

In this kind of atmosphere where competition is fierece between two console giants, it makes more sense to see them being guilty of moneyhatting rather than just funding it...

All it matters is that a deal was made to make it 3rd party exclusive as the end result and thats what matters... which should be criticized. You gotta (not saying its you but anyone in this regard) only annoyed or irked by people complaining about 3rd party exclusivity of any kind if to you its about platform wars and the 'brand'. Customers always lose with this sort of shit, regardless of who does it.

If Sega were confident about the IP, they would've made the sequel w/o a money hat from Sony.

I think it does matter how the deal is structured because if it really is the choices between A) Sony funds development and it's PS4 exclusive, or B) Game doesn't exist then I'd much rather have A.

It's strange because it seems like there are people who would actually choose option B.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Its the game that was relased on PS3 right ? with visual upgrade ? Super cool to bring it back to modern times and not have left it stuck on PS3 forvever

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I think it is wise to care how something is done so you give yourself the opportunity to bestow your smoldering ire upon it's rightful receiver. Merely lashing out in a chaotic manner is a path most slippery, mind your footing.
Why should i care a lot when iam the consumer and it affects me negatively? Whether i bestow my 'ire' on any company. It won't affect them in anyway that they stop making games at all or something lol..

And honestly.. its only a slippery path if i was beholden to any company or 'brand'.. you know.. 'if x company does this i won't mind but if y company does it then hell has become frozen'..

The onus is on the company to be not secretive about these deals and not on us customers to wait patiently just so they can tell us how much money they are making over this...

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
It's a smart move, now you hardcore fans will buy it multiple times and SEGA will get the final laugh.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017

lmao an engine has nothing to do how with the combat will be designed, if you had shared concerns about the engine running at a locked 60 on PS4 it'd be more understable

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
This is pretty clearly a test run to see if the RGG Studio can handle developing a new VF.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it, and I'm hoping Sega isn't using sales as a determining factor, but it's plain as day.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Yup, that's VF5. Will definitely get it so they don't have an excuse for not developing VF6. It's a little iffy that the game is one week from release and they didn't name a price.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
If the netcode is crap then Sony and Sega have learned nothing about the importance of online play during COVID. Honestly I'd be shocked if that were the case.

You can already buy VF5 on Xbox.

Check mate!

I don't see any balance changes as part of this update, so I wonder if VF5 FS players can play this older version and still be competitive on Ultimate.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Still no PC version is disappointing. I do own a PS4 but I'll resent paying for plus to play literally the only game I'll ever play in online multiplayer, just not worth it if I want to play for months.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously we don't know anything about how this game truly came to be. But it seems really bizarre how people are reacting so negatively to the idea of a console exclusive.

Sometimes games that are released wouldn't even be possible if it wasn't for the funding that led to it possibly being exclusive or timed exclusive.

Yeah and VF has been on the shelf for so long that I could see Sega wanting to mitigate risk here. This release really feels like them testing the waters and if you're going to test the waters then why wouldn't you do it by partnering up with the company whose platform kind of owned the fighting genre last gen? Outside of exclusive titles for Switch or X1 tournaments generally used PS4 as their platform of choice for various reasons one of which being that most people who play fighting games were playing them on PS4.

That said, I would be shocked if this didn't eventually get at least a PC release. Also, I seem to be alone on liking the visual update. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like them doing the work to get this game running on the Yakuza engine potentially shows intent to do more with this series if this release does well.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not a very exciting trailer but then again I never found VF to be exciting. Good for the people who wanted this, though. PS+ is probably not a bad move. Hope SEGA got the memo and this has rollback.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If you don't announce that your new fighting game has rollback netcode frame 1, then what are you even doing?

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Cautiously optimistic. Obviously I'll be playing it, but not sure of it's long-term success like this. PS+ is a good way to get a large online player base for a niche remaster like this on day 1, but can they maintain it? I wonder if that PS+ deal is why it's not on anything else, at least to start with. And knowing Sony, if a PC release does happen, it won't be crossplay.

Not mentioning anything about the netcode at all makes me think it's not rollback and they don't want to be up-front about that because word of mouth for delay-based netcode in fighters is super damaging these days.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more interested to know if this game has balance updates.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Obviously we don't know anything about how this game truly came to be. But it seems really bizarre how people are reacting so negatively to the idea of a console exclusive.

Sometimes games that are released wouldn't even be possible if it wasn't for the funding that led to it possibly being exclusive or timed exclusive.
The last time we got a new VF game it was not exclusive, so it's pretty understandable plenty of people would be upset.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
I'm glad VF is back, but why's it on PS4 only? If they want to to be exclusive on Sony's console then add PS5 version too.

The characters don't look too. :[

Akira in VF5:

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017

Exclusivity issues aside, it's exclusive to a console that's already outside the house, on the car and headed to the retirement home. At this point in the game if exclusivity was important they should of done a PS5 version as well. Or just do PS5 for longevity's sake. It looks like an af old game (which it is). And I don't even have a PS5! They don't sell PS4's anymore and they are not going to entice PS5 game sales with this either. What a waste.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
If Sega were confident about the IP, they would've made the sequel w/o a money hat from Sony.

I think it does matter how the deal is structured because if it really is the choices between A) Sony funds development and it's PS4 exclusive, or B) Game doesn't exist then I'd much rather have A.

It's strange because it seems like there are people who would actually choose option B.
Honestly both of your options won't matter if the market leader just wants to 'compete' and they show SEGA enough money to just keep it exclusive...

Like for example How Judgement is a Stadia exclusive and is the reason why it hasn't been ported to PC yet...

Money talks and is much safer to assume than just to rest on our laurels and wait for them to clarify it which they will never do lol...

The burden of proof is on THEM and they're guilty of taking money for it until they say otherwise.. because they're so secretive about these deals..

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Where's this idea that Vanessa's skin tone has been reverted coming from? She still looks as bleached as she's always been in 5, but the lighting quality has changed.

ni5O4zB.png