• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
A video showing three policemen beating and tear-gassing a Black man in his Paris office for several minutes has reignited a French debate about police brutality and the public's right to film officers on duty.

On Thursday morning, digital media outlet Loopsider published a report on the police operation that led to the beating of the man in the video, who has only been named as Michel, a music producer.

According to Loopsider, the incident began on Saturday when Michel, upon seeing a police car, entered his production studio in northwestern Paris. He was not wearing a mask and said he had hoped to avoid a fine.

Footage obtained by Loopsider from the studio's CCTV, neighbors, and artists who were in the studio's basement show police officers entering the studio without a warrant.

The footage then shows the officers striking Michel repeatedly with their fists, knees and batons.

As Michel was shouting for help, artists in the basement went up to the first floor office and managed to drive away the three policemen.

Neighbors who had been in front of the studio filmed the second part of the police intervention.

The three policemen, who by then had been reinforced by a dozen colleagues, threw a tear-gas grenade into the studio, forcing Michel out on the street as one police officer pointed his gun at him. Other policemen re-entered the studio and arrested artists who were in the basement.

Policemen initially claimed that Michel had provoked them and tried to steal their weapons.

However, Loopsider reported that the Paris prosecutor office said it closed its case without further action, and that it asked the general inspector of the national police (IGPN) to open an investigation against the policemen for "violence and forgery."

The video comes in the middle of a debate on a security bill that would ban sharing videos identifying policemen with the "manifest intention of harming their physical or psychic integrity." The National Assembly voted in favor of the bill and it will be discussed at the Senate in December.

Opponents of the bill, including NGOs Amnesty International and Reporters Without Borders (RSF), said the notion of malicious intent was both vague and hard to prove. It could also be open to misinterpretation from police and, ultimately, lead to abuses that could endanger freedom of speech from citizens and reporters.

www.politico.eu

Violent beating of Black man by police causes outrage in France

The video comes in the middle of a debate on a security bill that would curtail sharing videos of policemen.

Last edited:

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
It's almost as if the police as an institution is a load of shit that attracts shit people and perpetuates shit behavior. Few things make me angrier than people who mistreat and abuse people, and see it as their right to do so. Worthless fucking scum.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Policemen initially claimed that Michel had provoked them and tried to steal their weapons.
And I'm 100% confident saying that if he tried they certainly wouldn't have riddled him with so many bullets you could have used him to drain pasta.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And remember that you can't film the police anymore in France. How convenient.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
ACAB

Also.fuck Macron for the new law that says you can't film them anymore

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
They beat the shit out of him for a long time. I also love the universal "We were being attacked" cop excuse when its a six on one as if homie is John Wick.

All cops suck.

Also that 'He was trying to steal our weapons' excuse with so many motherfuckers on the scene who had to have sold that lie to their superiors...the police corruption has to run deep and guaranteed if you lifted a rock you're going to find abuse and murder in the Parisian police department.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
When we said all cops, we literally meant that.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
how many France cops are coming out and condemning this horrific act of violence? not one I bet, which is why people say ACAB. silence is complicity.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if we will keep hearing excuses about how "European cops are good" whenever ACAB comes up. Cause we shouldn't.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Not saying the law is good, but you still could, the law ( if it does pass the Constitutional Council ) is about the diffusion of the face or any elements allowing you to identify them. I also think the intent of said diffusion matter ( which will make it even harder to apply ).

The scene of the beating was showed on the news today, faces are blured. From what I can gather that's pretty much the extend of what the result of the law would be.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The one good thing about this:
Prosecution dropped any idea to go after the victim, and instead quickly refered the policemen to the IGPN for review with specific accusations.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
To be more precise, you cannot film them with malicious intent. What malicious means is up to the cop's interpretation of course.

Wonder what's the next step since the government is taking the only defense black people have against the ACAB? The next step is direct confrontation...random shooting/execution of Cops/politicians? You can't just force minorities into a corner and keep beating them over and over and not expect retaliation. I expect an explosion from minorities in violence if both the Government and Cops are going against it's minority citizens.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder what's the next step since the government is taking the only defense black people have against the ACAB? The next step is direct confrontation...random shooting/execution of Cops/politicians? You can't just force minorities into a corner and keep beating them over and over and not expect retaliation. I expect an explosion from minorities in violence if both the Government and Cops are going against it's minority citizens.
What if that was the plan? More violence from minorities so the general opinion is that stricter laws were indeed necessary. And meanwhile, no one speaks about the government constant fuckups and cowardice.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if we will keep hearing excuses about how "European cops are good" whenever ACAB comes up. Cause we shouldn't.

Well, in America we often tie the police's actions to the slave catcher origins.

With global issues, it appears that it's simply a problem of too much power, too little qualification, and a culture built around those things.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

Not only can you still film them as the law is not passed (and won't probably, certainly not in its current form), but you would still be able to film them as much as you wanted if it was.
You could even film them with malicious intent, only the diffusion would be a problem, like if you were doxxing them while calling for harm to happen to them.
The proposed law is still stupid and much too broad (on top of redundant) but adding lies on top of bullshit like you do helps no one.

To be more precise, you cannot film them with malicious intent. What malicious means is up to the cop's interpretation of course.

You would totally be able to film them as much as you want, even if the law was to pass in its current form (and it won't).
It's a diffusion problem, and no it would of course not be up to the cop to decide anything, only a judge would.

Oct 26, 2017
Not only can you still film them as the law is not passed (and won't probably, certainly not in its current form), but you would still be able to film them as much as you wanted if it was.
You could even film them with malicious intent, only the diffusion would be a problem, like if you were doxxing them while calling for harm to happen to them.
The proposed law is still stupid and much too broad (on top of redundant) but adding lies on top of bullshit like you do helps no one.

You would totally be able to film them as much as you want, even if the law was to pass in its current form (and it won't).
It's a diffusion problem, and no it would of course not be up to the cop to decide anything, only a judge would.
Okay, that's a bit of a relief.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ACAB

It's always ridiculous seeing excuses like "He tried to grab our weapon" or "he attacked first" like if they did that they wouldn't be turned into swiss cheese

Arken

Jan 14, 2018
Seattle
Is it strange to feel that France might even be worse then the US with this recent " you can't film them" type of shit? Granted cops here in the states are still scummy as fuck but at least you can film them to get some evidence in your favor.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
What if that was the plan? More violence from minorities so the general opinion is that stricter laws were indeed necessary. And meanwhile, no one speaks about the government constant fuckups and cowardice.

If you have no other choice if peaceful protesting is largely being ignored and approached with violence from the ACAB...

You can either lay there and get your ass beat every day or go out and fight for your rights the hard way.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Three French police officers have been suspended after they were filmed beating and allegedly racially abusing a music producer in his Paris studio.

An official inquiry has been opened – the third such investigation in a week – into the officers' behaviour. The latest incident comes after MPs in the French parliament voted to approve a new law increasing police powers.

The film shows police punching and kicking him, and hitting him over the head and body with a truncheon. As well as the physical blows, Michel, who said he was taken so much by surprise he was not even sure they were real police officers, said he was subjected to racist insults.

"I heard "dirty n****r. I heard it several times. They were hitting me with their truncheons. Over and over again," he said.

After calling out for help to colleagues on a lower floor, and with blood pouring from his head, Michel and the others managed to push the three officers out of the front door.

The police then smashed a window and threw a teargas canister inside the property. After calling for reinforcements, they demanded Michel and the others came out, at gunpoint.

"I was afraid. I thought it was my last day … I kept saying, 'I haven't done anything', and they kept shouting for me to get down on the ground."

Once outside, police officers continued to beat Michel and the others.

"Suddenly someone shouted, 'camera, camera'. It was someone filming from a window. As soon as the police heard this they stopped hitting us," said one of the victims.

Michel was taken to the nearby police station and accused of insulting police and attempting to grab one of their guns.

Unknown to the officers, however, a camera inside the producer's studio had captured the officers' actions. Michel was held in custody for 48 hours then released without charge. The three officers are now being investigated for allegations of "violence by a public agent" and "making false statements".

On Tuesday, French MPs approved a new security law that would place restrictions on identifying police officers involved in operations. Critics say article 24 of the new law, which makes it illegal to publish photographs or film footage of officers with "intent to harm", is too open to interpretation by the police and could be a threat to press freedom.

www.theguardian.com

Paris police filmed beating music producer in studio

Footage shows victim, who was later released without charge, being punched, kicked and hit with truncheon

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost as if the police as an institution is a load of shit that attracts shit people and perpetuates shit behavior. Few things make me angrier than people who mistreat and abuse people, and see it as their right to do so. Worthless fucking scum.

In my experience the type of person that wants to be a police officer is exactly the type of person you'd never want to have that kind of authority. Even if they cleaned house and started over it'd be a huge battle to not end up with the same exact problems they have now.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Is it strange to feel that France might even be worse then the US with this recent " you can't film them" type of shit? Granted cops here in the states are still scummy as fuck but at least you can film them to get some evidence in your favor.
You can still film cops in France though.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Macron's brutality with impunity, police given powers to discriminate without the fear of retribution. Trump would be jealous.

Last edited:

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
In my experience the type of person that wants to be a police officer is exactly the type of person you'd never want to have that kind of authority. Even if they cleaned house and started over it'd be a huge battle to not end up with the same exact problems they have now.
Yeah, I'd say that goes for pretty much any type of authority. It's just that the problem becomes all the more apparent when dealing with people who can legally kill others.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
And he would probably be in jail if there's hadn't been such a video...
Just when there's a new law trying to prevent people from filming police forces...

Magni

And I'm 100% confident saying that if he tried they certainly wouldn't have riddled him with so many bullets you could have used him to drain pasta.

Cops in France can definitely be racist fuckheads like this lot, but they're not trigger-happy racist fuckheads like the ones in the US. 19 people were killed by the police in France last year, compared to 999 shot and killed by police in the US. Adjusting for population, the US had 10x more police-caused deaths.

Fuck that proposed law. Thankfully, it's not the law quite yet. And the way it's written, I don't see how you can get convicted outside of open-and-shut cases. But I can definitely see how it can cause cops to be even more assholes towards people filming them.

It's up to the judge, not the cop.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Up to the judge, as pointed out by others.
But, yeah, that's a dangerous and shameful law...

I think the idea behind it was "fine", as i think it is was to prevent doxxing of police officers as at least one of them got killed in his home with his wife a few years ago. But the text is just so ridiculously vague that it will, for sure, lead to plenty of abuse. It's still not completely passed tho, the Senate and the Constitutional Council still have to validate it. So it might not go further, especially in light of this aggression. (but considering the senate and the council are mostly made of old guys from the right, i don't particularily have my hopes up).

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
Up to the judge, as pointed out by others.
Your are both right.

If a cop feel you have ill intent while filming the police, they could decide to detain you till a judge can decide if you really had ill intent. If the judge decide that you didn't have such intent, their bad, you're free to go but the protest is done and you lost at best a couple of hours of your life and you were not here to film it or to protest.

They already acted like that during the Yellow-vests protests or during other protests (using a law forbidding assembling with the intent to act violently) and the police was ordered to act like that by prosecutors: some people spend the whole day inside a police station, unable to use their right to protest and were let go at the end of the day (at best) because they didn't have ill intent (and as far as I understand it, they couldn't attack the state for a legal reason I don't remember -- I'm not a lawyer, nor a judge).

They also already did it to journalists under other pretenses.
the Senate and Constitutional Council
Philippe Bas, a Questor of the Senate, already said they will rewrite part of the bill. But I don't think it'll be for the better. And at the end of the day, it's the National Assembly's version of bill who is voted. Only the Constitutional Council has power to prevent it.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Philippe Bas, a Questor of the Senate, already said they will rewrite part of the bill. But I don't think it'll be for the better. And at the end of the day, it's the National Assembly's version of bill who is voted. Only the Constitutional Council has power to prevent it.

Yeah i know, there's chance it will get better, but it most likely won't as both these institutions are quite clearly on the "conservative" side.

Blunt

Oct 26, 2017
I think the idea behind it was "fine", as i think it is was to prevent doxxing of police officers as at least one of them got killed in his home with his wife a few years ago.

Darmanin used that as an example too but to the best of my recollection, in that case there was no prior publication of the cop's identity anywhere on the web.

Anyway you know police violence in France is a major major issue when the new person who was appointed as defender of rights, who was saying that she had a problem with the use of the term police violence when she took the job, has this week come out against the proposed law, published a scathing new report about a prior infamous case of police brutality and immediately seized upon the very case this topic is about. The police are just completely out of control and have been encouraged by the government for a good five years now.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Anyway you know police violence in France is a major major issue when the new person who was appointed as defender of rights, who was saying that she had a problem with the use of the term police violence when she took the job, has this week come out against the proposed law, published a scathing new report about a prior infamous case of police brutality and immediately seized upon the very case this topic is about. The police are just completely out of control and have been encouraged by the government for a good five years now.

Indeed, no denying that.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
All cops are bastards, every single one of them.

And the trying to outlaw taping their conduct is nothing else then an attempt to try and stop people from holding them accountable when they cross the line.