• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's interesting reading all of the speculation here, and honestly, aside from those making some weird connections to spin up some sort of internal conflict (which is just gross and weird and out of the blue), I don't see the big deal.

I will say, as someone who is around the same age as the crew -- the talk about burnout and working for managers who think they know more than you do really, really resonates with me. Personally, I feel it's a really healthy perspective to maintain. Once you're not able to maintain it, or get tired of railing against it...you have to make a change.

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting reading all of the speculation here, and honestly, aside from those making some weird connections to spin up some sort of internal conflict (which is just gross and weird and out of the blue), I don't see the big deal.

I will say, as someone who is around the same age as the crew -- the talk about burnout and working for managers who think they know more than you do really, really resonates with me. Personally, I feel it's a really healthy perspective to maintain. Once you're not able to maintain it, or get tired of railing against it...you have to make a change.

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

Wouldn't be Giant Bomb news without the obsessive speculation lol

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Jeremy Parish has his own youtube channel and still runs retronauts.
Shane "Mangod" Bettenhausen works for Sony, still appears on retronauts.
Mark MacDonald works for Enhance Games as a VP, still does the 8-4 play pod?.
Garnett Lee is working Marketing at Raw Fury
Luke Smith is still at Bungie I think.
John Davison is running IGN
Shawn Elliot is lead game designer on the new Bioshock
jeff Green Works for Minn/Maxx ? as a consultant.

That's pretty much those I follow.
Luke smith is one of the heads of destiny 2 and Bryan inthihar was creative director on Spiderman.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
If there is anyone looking to reminisce or new folk looking to find out what the Giant Bomb fuss is about you could check out the This Year podcast. Its available on the internet archive:

This Year Collection : This Year Network : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Basically clip shows from 2008 - 2014 of the bombcast. They are pretty great.

Also while you are there you could check out the ones for 1up and GFW.

Sorry if already posted.
Thanks for this reminder. Their stuff is great.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
If there is anyone looking to reminisce or new folk looking to find out what the Giant Bomb fuss is about you could check out the This Year podcast. Its available on the internet archive:

This Year Collection : This Year Network : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Sorry if already posted.
It's almost summer. Time for my annual Ryan Davis Summer Jams Memorial listen!

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
Luke smith is one of the heads of destiny 2 and Bryan inthihar was creative director on Spiderman.
Just a reminder that most of the 1up folks went on to do really incredible stuff in the industry. Seeing Shawn Elliott end up at Arkane and also doing incredible minatures paint work (seriously, check out his Twitter) makes me so happy. That said, I really, really, really miss he and Robert Ashley's presence on podcasts.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
Gosh where's Jeff Green these days.

With Gerstman becoming the grumpy grandad of games media these days, that would make him, what, the great-grandfather?

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
I think the real answer as to the future is: RV operates clickbait sites and call centers. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I know Mangod ascended to working at Sony. Kat was on the episode of Retronauts I listened to a few weeks ago - 2001 year in gaming)

Jeremy is also plugging away at his YT channel after USgamer

My dream stream is Jeff and Jeremy waxing about old games. I ain't even kidding.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So, I've been thinking, to me Jeff's single biggest strength is as a host, and I'd like to see him focus more of his attention on hosting things going forward. His E3 @ Night interviews for the last 2 or 3 years (that E3 existed), were absolutely top notch. He was finally getting really good at it, after having to pick up that mantel when Ryan passed. I honestly believe he is the best host/interviewer in the video game industry, and I think other people think so too. Because of that, I find it very strange that he really hasn't hosted anything else for Giant Bomb in years. I'll never understand why Jeff didn't host the Bombcast, other than on days when Brad was out. I'll never understand why GiantBomb, and Jeff in particular, didn't interview more industry figures year round. They clearly have the contacts, and it seems like anyone in the industry would come at his beckon call. I would like to see that be more of a focus for Jeff/Giant Bomb if this thing is really going to keep on.

I don't like comparing them to other sites because GB is such a unique thing, but you look at something like Kinda Funny and how they can have a dozen different people guesting on their content in a given week. You look at all these hosting gigs, outside of KF, that Greg Miller does all the time, and I just wonder, why isn't Jeff getting all these guests? Why isn't Jeff hosting these panels and events? I'm sure he's been approached numerous times to do those type of things, and he would absolutely kill it, if he did. I kind of wonder if being part of this Giant Bomb team has held him back from wanting to be in the spotlight in that way, and maybe if that changes for him going forward.

Anyway...I'm just saying, I want to see Jeff be that industry figure that is out hosting events and interviewing folks because I really think that's where he excels and that's where his energy should be focused if he's going to rebuild that bomb.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
It's almost summer. Time for my annual Ryan Davis Summer Jams Memorial listen!
If you're talking about his memorial episode, I can't do it. I honestly teased up when I heard that he died, that shit hit me THAT hard. Like, "why you crying over some dude you never met?!" Cause he felt like your bestie/homeboy/brother, whatever you wanna call it. Anyway, I listened to the memorial once and have never listened to it again.

(The This Year Podcast link that some members posted above have a VERY good best of Ryan edition. That I listen to a lot)

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If you're talking about his memorial episode, I can't do it. I honestly teased up when I heard that he died, that shit hit me THAT hard. Like, "why you crying over some dude you never met?!" Cause he felt like your bestie/homeboy/brother, whatever you wanna call it. Anyway, I listened to the memorial once and have never listened to it again.

(The This Year Podcast link that some members posted above have a VERY good best of Ryan edition. That I listen to a lot)

I think he's talking about Ryan's Summer Jams Spotify playlist.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Gosh where's Jeff Green these days.

With Gerstman becoming the grumpy grandad of games media these days, that would make him, what, the great-grandfather?
He recently did a new limited podcast for USGamer.
dialogueboxusg.libsyn.com

Branching Narratives With Jeff Green

Veteran gaming personality Jeff Green hosts a rotating cast of game developers, influencers, journalists, and executives for frank conversations about how they got into video games, the state of the industry, and more.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy Parish has his own youtube channel and still runs retronauts.
Shane "Mangod" Bettenhausen works for Sony, still appears on retronauts.
Mark MacDonald works for Enhance Games as a VP, still does the 8-4 play pod?.
Garnett Lee is working Marketing at Raw Fury
Luke Smith is still at Bungie I think.
John Davison is running IGN
Shawn Elliot is lead game designer on the new Bioshock
jeff Green Works for Minn/Maxx ? as a consultant.

That's pretty much those I follow.
David Ellis works for 343

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
He recently did a new limited podcast for USGamer.
dialogueboxusg.libsyn.com

Branching Narratives With Jeff Green

Veteran gaming personality Jeff Green hosts a rotating cast of game developers, influencers, journalists, and executives for frank conversations about how they got into video games, the state of the industry, and more.
Oh damn I didn't know about this. I miss listening to Jeff Green

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe just go to twitch guys (with Jeff and the rest of the gang).

Mary Kish might be able to make it happen. Also make Mary a regular.

And I don't just mean have a twitch stream also like we've had, but full-on attack twitch.

So many streamers have tonnes more viewers than GB gets during the unprofessional streams...and they don't hold up nearly as well.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Sorry if already posted.

I use to listen to these once a year, it's been a few now since I skipped last year so it's time again.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Giantbomb did a great job recovering from the passing of Ryan Davis, they had a rough time and came back strong, but i don't see them recovering from this.

Goddamnit, i need a drink.

Back then GB still had the nucleus of Jeff/Vinny/Brad/Alex to fall back on....this time it's really only Jeff (Nothing against the other guys, I just don't think they have that strong personality to carry the site which they all have). Love to be proven wrong I suppose...but I think it's going to be a slow process to get back to what they had before (if they ever do)

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it, the best way I can describe my current feelings on this, is that it's like the feeling you get after some time has passed from graduating high school, or college. The realization that all the acquaintances & friends you've made, you will most likely never see again. :(

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it, the best way I can describe my current feelings on this, is that it's like the feeling you get after some time has passed from graduating high school, or college. The realization that all the acquaintances & friends you've made, you will most likely never see again. :(

Except they're neither friends nor acquaintances, but people you saw on TV.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they were (mostly) veterans of the industry, so they didn't just break out in tears over literal video game commercials like a lot of people on YouTube and they made fun of all the bullshit marketing speak that the execs trotted out. That's what set them apart.

While i mostly agree with this, I think we can also admit that sometimes it was less 'keeping it real' and more actual disinterest / playing up the snark for the audience.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Except they're neither friends nor acquaintances, but people you saw on TV.

Well no duh.

But even given that people's relationship to GB is a one way street, that doesn't change that it's still a big part of people's lives. Hell, if you've been around since the start you've probably watched/listened to them speak literally dozens of times more hours than anyone you actually went to school with.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Well no duh.

But even given that people's relationship to GB is a one way street, that doesn't change that it's still a big part of people's lives. Hell, if you've been around since the start you've probably watched/listened to them speak literally dozens of times more hours than anyone you actually went to school with.

I've been around from the start, listened to Arrow Pointing Down, even. But personally, it doesn't affect me at all. It was pretty expected, even - Red Ventures doesn't inspire confidence, and the site has been on a clear downswing for a long time, with fewer and fewer page impressions and low viewership numbers in general.

There's a reason they did so many sales.

Maybe I don't get as attached to media personalities as other people, I can see how people are more affected.

ComradeYork

Oct 27, 2017
I've been around from the start, listened to Arrow Pointing Down, even. But personally, it doesn't affect me at all. It was pretty expected, even - Red Ventures doesn't inspire confidence, and the site has been on a clear downswing for a long time, with fewer and fewer page impressions and low viewership numbers in general.

There's a reason they did so many sales.

Maybe I don't get as attached to media personalities as other people, I can see how people are more affected.

It's cool that you weren't too affected, but being dismissive about how much it's affecting other people is a pretty lame move imo.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Don't think so. Being really affected by a media personality changing jobs is a worrying sign to me.

I've listened to these guys talk about games a few times a week for the past 13 years. I'm not sure how three key members leaving couldn't affect someone like me. I never knew them personally, but listening to the podcasts and watching their videos was something that made me happy.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
I've listened to these guys talk about games a few times a week for the past 13 years. I'm not sure how three key members leaving couldn't affect someone like me. I never knew them personally, but listening to the podcasts and watching their videos was something that made me happy.

Probably a similar feeling some people would have if Grey's Anatomy were ending.

It's okay if you aren't affected. But let people have their feelings - you are not a psychologist. And if you are, you are a pretty bad one.

Thanks for policing my feelings and forcing your opinion on me.

ComradeYork

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for policing my feelings and forcing your opinion on me.

Lmao, says the guy who just said that people are being unhealthy for being bummed out that a website that we've followed for over a decade might be ending, or at the minimum be massively restructuring.

You're either intentionally missing the mark, or incredibly oblivious.

Status
Not open for further replies.