• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I don't personally care what anyone talks about on this site, but this is dumb whataboutism.
How is it whataboutism? Correct me if I'm wrong as I had never heard the term before, but I'm not defending nor justifying her words and actions in any possible way. She is an absolute garbage excuse of a human being and we should actively denounce her every time that she says some stupid shit like that. That said, I also believe that the Harry Potter IP is much bigger than her and I don't see how banning the discussion on the franchise would help the cause in any possible way (and this is coming from someone who has basically no connection whatsoever to the series, I haven't really cared about it in like a decade).

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Should we make a JK Rowling TERF megathread for her? It seems like she's doing this every week now.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Should we make a JK Rowling TERF megathread for her? It seems like she's doing this every week now.

we kinda already have =P

www.resetera.com

TERF JK Rowling continues to be a hateful bigot.

Members have been asking for a single thread about JK Rowling that can serve as a comprehensive resource about her transphobic bigotry – many are already using this thread for that purpose, so we’re going to make it official: News about JK Rowling herself or any updates about the awful things...

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I have great difficulty in understanding why she isn't banned yet either.
With Trump I can understand since he's President, but Rowling is in no such position, she should have been gone long ago.

She rich, she's white and she's got a huge profile that now is undoubtedly generating a lot of extra ad money with all this attention. Not too hard to understand, unfortunately

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I have great difficulty in understanding why she isn't banned yet either.
With Trump I can understand since he's President, but Rowling is in no such position, she should have been gone long ago.

Rowling haven't killed the euphemism in the same way Trump has

Like she never outright said "i want trans people to not exist or have less rights" she just implies heavily to the point lots of people are like "BUT SHE ONLY SAID SEX IS REAL" even if she already mentioned 300 different stuff. It is a hate tactic that has been perfected since the 70's =P

So twitter is probably in the "but she never said ALL trans people are evil, just the evil trans rights activists"

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Man, her and Terry Crews can't shut the fuck up. This 2 celebrity are the worst attention seekers I've ever seen recently.

It's like they love and relish on self sabotage.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Trump has a thread here nearly everyday.
Trump is the US President, Rowling is a hack writer. There's a big difference.

I hate both of them, but I think threads concerning Rowling should focus on the pervasive nature of "gender critical" transphobes and curbing their spreading of bullshit, rather than just drawing attention to what a vile piece of shit one particular person is.

Oct 30, 2017
It's bizarre. I don't really follow what she says all that closely. But she's really going on and on and on on this topic for months maybe years. Hell bent on proving some point.

She's obsessed with her cause while claiming she loves trans people.

what the fuck? I feel that people who have been nothing but lauded and loved for decades react super poorly when they get called out on their BS.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Every fucking generation has that one group of people who thought they were progressive until things start to change on them and then they become the same stubborn "NO! This is too much! I'm diggin my heels in!" people they used to lambast in their youth.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think we need a new thread every time she tweets but I hope this forum doesn't ban discussion of her or her IP. I don't think that's a good path to go down, I value this place as an news an discussion aggregate.
I've settled with the fact I can live with (though I wish they would make it a clearer policy and apply it consistently) it can be discussed but we are allowed to bring up the problems even in OT's without being derailing. I do wish and where I would like the policy and consistent application would be warnings on top of any thread dealing with the subjects why it's problematic.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how you have billions of dollars, all this power and influence and nothing fucking better to do than shit on people who have done nothing to you that are already shit on enough.

It's fucking baffling.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Trump is the US President, Rowling is a hack writer. There's a big difference.

I hate both of them, but I think threads concerning Rowling should focus on the pervasive nature of "gender critical" transphobes and curbing their spreading of bullshit, rather than just drawing attention to what a vile piece of shit one particular person is.

Yeah I get it.

I don't care for Rowling personally and never got into Harry Potter. I just think a separating the art of the artist stance is the best move here but if ERA elected to ban Harry Potter I'd back that pretty easily since I've banned her from my life.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess the best thing to do is to report her on Twitter and hope she gets banned? By now everyone hopefully know not to consume or promote any more of her content, so no one is adding to her significance.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
I guess the best thing to do is to report her on Twitter and hope she gets banned? By now everyone hopefully know not to consume or promote any more of her content, so no one is adding to her significance.
You'd say that, but based on the threads on game side, there are still plenty of people willing to buy the HP game "Just to support the developers so they don't starve" or some bullshit like that.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I get it.

I don't care for Rowling personally and never got into Harry Potter. I just think a separating the art of the artist stance is the best move here but if ERA elected to ban Harry Potter I'd back that pretty easily since I've banned her from my life.
You can't do that. Rowling's bigotry is intrinsically linked to her writings. Besides, to be critical of systemic oppression means being aware of intersectionality. In other words, you must be conscious of why the author wrote the text in the way they did. Nothing exists in a bubble.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let this be a great lesson for all in how being good is a continous voyage, and whom stops seeking truth can easily become a blind crusader - sheated in good will, yet wielding oppression.

I know this may seem frivolous and only partially related, but if Harry Potter was a massive part of your life (as it was to me), and you're having a very difficult time reconciling how hateful Rowling is being with your childhood love of the series, I'd like to recommend Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, a free fanfic? It's...genuinely better than the original texts; I've basically overwritten the original story with HPMOR in my mind, and I learned a whole bunch of interesting (real!) science from it too. It's free and not written by a bigot. www.hpmor.com

Fuck you, JK Rowling.

I love HPMOR, but it remember some weird things about it on social issues?
Not direct hatred, but a lot of reductionism

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I love HPMOR, but it remember some weird things about it on social issues?
Not direct hatred, but a lot of reductionism
Mmm, I'd be curious to examine it again, but I can't recall anything specifically. There an interesting conversation to be had about

whether or not Hermione is "fridged", based on her role in the story and the fact that she is eventually revived,

but I'm not sure I would tell anyone not to read it for that reason.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
She truly has passed the tipping point where one in her situation will either

a) disappear completely from the public eye

b) rev hard with more of what got them into this situation in the first place.

clearly she has chosen her path and we will all be witness to the result.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mmm, I'd be curious to examine it again, but I can't recall anything specifically. There an interesting conversation to be had about

whether or not Hermione is "fridged", based on her role in the story and the fact that she is eventually revived,

but I'm not sure I would tell anyone not to read it for that reason.
Actually, i've tried tracking down and HPMOR is pretty much fine.
Author community is pretty much half asexual and half poly, so it's actually a pinch of rare representation for both

LessWrong weirds me out, though. The whole Dragon Army thing was straight-up cultish.
Also glad Duncan gave up on it, as i love some of the things he's wrote

Sorry for the OT.
Read HPMOR and wonder at how much better the worldbuilding could've built and how easily it crumbles upon even superficial analysis!

Oct 29, 2017
Wtf is her problem? This literally doesn't concern her in the absolute minimum and she can't shut up with her disgusting takes.
These people just get obsessed with kicking a vulnerable minority because they posted some dumb shit once and they get so offended that the plebs can actually reply to them on Twitter. Then they just get deeper and deeper as they fail to just understand that they're wrong.

That's what this whole 'cancel culture' thing is; rich, socially powerful people being upset that they're criticised by commoners whilst keeping their massive platforms, being invited on TV and generally doing everything possible to make the idea of them being 'cancelled' absolutely fucking comical.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
You can't do that. Rowling's bigotry is intrinsically linked to her writings. Besides, to be critical of systemic oppression means being aware of intersectionality. In other words, you must be conscious of why the author wrote the text in the way they did. Nothing exists in a bubble.

I know nothing about Harry Potter so I couldn't comment on that.

And the fact that there are so many progressive Harry Potter fans didn't lead me to believe that her bigotry was shown or expressed in Harry Potter.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

And the fact that there are so many progressive Harry Potter fans didn't lead me to believe that her bigotry was shown or expressed in Harry Potter.

I mean pretty much every week there are plenty of threads (mostly on gaming tbh) that show you people are "allies/progressive" right up until it calls for them having to condemn/stop interacting with their favorite IP, then masks come off

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm not sure reporting her on Twitter will lead to anything. It's not like Twitter isn't aware of the shit she's posting.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf is her problem? This literally doesn't concern her in the absolute minimum and she can't shut up with her disgusting takes.
I think Rowling sees her entire life's journey as being predominantly shaped by having been a woman, and so how being a woman is defined and whether it's a permanent or transitory state is of foremost importance to her. It's like how some people are one-issue voters and 90% of what they care about is that one issue, and for Rowling this is her one issue. It's the hill that she'll risk her reputation on.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of it was actually fairly subtle, or at least easy to forgive on first blush....

But once you see JK for who she is, and you look a little closer you see things like...

The only Irish character constantly makes things explode.

The only Asian character to get any character is named Cho Chang

The skeezy reporter is the only character who is coded as a trans-woman, and is done so with awful "Manish" stereotypes.

There is a fantasy race who are, and enjoy being, slaves and their freedom is played both as a negative thing, and as simply a ridiculous notion by all.

Just to name the stuff off the top of my head.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why is WWE not banned after so much stuff Vince McMahon has done, for example?
Some of us have argued for ages that it should be, especially after the Saudi deal.

But like everywhere else, wrestling is ignored enough to get away with this shit. But I would welcome their content being banned from here since Vince is an irredeemable piece of shit and anyone defending him or watching his product is a bad person who doesn't care about his endless examples of bigotry, the reprehensible things he has done and the lives he has ruined.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it was actually fairly subtle, or at least easy to forgive on first blush....

But once you see JK for who she is, and you look a little closer you see things like...

The skeezy reporter is the only character who is coded as a trans-woman, and is done so with awful "Manish" stereotypes.

There is a fantasy race who are, and enjoy being, slaves and their freedom is played both as a negative thing, and as simply a ridiculous notion by all.

Gringots goblins are coded jewish.The most obvious one.

--

None of these criticisms are actually new. People have been pointing them out for some time.

In many ways, I hate that her work is only allowed to get critical attention now she has revealed herself to be a bigot.

Leads me to realize just how MUCH shit people give a pass to in the media they consume.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Pathetic excuse for a human being. All the money and time in the world and she chooses to spend it being a hateful bigot on Twitter all day every day.
I dont get that either. Is she too rich and powerful in her branche that people are afraid to speak up to her? Or maybe her circle of friends and family think the same.

Ugh now they're ruining Harry Potter as well.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly due to people reading them as kids and thus certain things going over their heads (such as the goblins being made up of anti semitic tropes (bonus points to the film for having the Star of David on the floor of the goblin bank), or not noticing due to just plain ignorance (like the only east Asian character in the books being called Cho Chang).

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
She just can't help herself. Just continues to dig and dig.

asun

Nov 10, 2017
It feels like she's gone all the way down the zealotry path with her one true belief and being so rich and famous affords her a huge echo chamber to foster that. ugh.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

This is pretty bad...

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how you have billions of dollars, all this power and influence and nothing fucking better to do than shit on people who have done nothing to you that are already shit on enough.

It's fucking baffling.

It's ego, she's a fucking narcissist. She absolutely needs the attention because at this point she probably feels going down in history as the HP writer is not enough. So let's punch down on a minority while calling it "pro women activism" because, why not?

Just trash. Fuck her.

Tunar

May 6, 2020
Just read through some of the comments. Smh even buck angel is defending here, not surprisingly.

she legit makes me not even like HarryPotter anymore. I can't look at it the same without thinking about all this shit she's been saying.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.