• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Viggo Mortensen is railing against the fate of Green Book. Peter Farrelly's feelgood film seemed to have reached the Hollywood pinnacle when it picked up the Academy Award for Best Picture last year. Set in segregated Sixties America, it told the true story of the burgeoning friendship between a black classical pianist and his bigoted Italian-American driver. Mortensen himself was nominated for Best Actor. But, he tells me, bleakly, "It's become a cliché to say, 'Is this movie going to be the Green Book of this year?' Green Book has become a pejorative."
The film has been attacked for fitting into a history of white saviour narratives. Mortensen found the opprobrium "hurtful and destructive".

"Much of the criticism that was levelled at that movie was not only unreasonable, but it was inaccurate, mendacious, and irresponsible," the Danish-American star says on Zoom from his home in Madrid, where he lives with his wife, the actor Ariadna Gil. "It's based on a load of bulls*** and an axe to grind and little else. Does it affect what I'm doing, or how people perceive me as an actor? Maybe it does. But I can't really do anything about that."

His latest film, which he wrote, directed, scored and stars in, is called Falling, and, like Green Book, it has caused controversy. Essentially a drama about a married gay liberal who struggles to care for his homophobic, conservative, dementia-addled father, Mortensen's directorial debut is a confident and deeply personal meditation on forgiveness and human fragility.

That said, Mortensen's decision to cast himself as a gay character has ruffled a few feathers. In recent years, there's been a growing consensus that LGBT+ roles are too often given to straight actors. But, as a director, Mortensen says "he wouldn't think of asking someone what their sexual orientation or identification was. Neither do I assume that actors who identify as being homosexual only want to play homosexual roles. I wasn't intending to play [the gay son] John, but I ended up playing him, because I had a high enough profile, and I also didn't have to pay the actor.

"But," he continues, "in terms of writing the role, it wasn't some kind of stunt to be politically relevant. I just felt, 'In the next scene, we're going to meet the wife. Maybe it's not a wife, maybe it's a husband, what would that be like?' And I tried writing the scene and I liked it, and I liked the additional layers that it gave to the relationship between John and his father. That's how it happened – organically. But, yes, there's no need to ask people how they see themselves. What's important to me is the person that will do a good job in this role."

Some more in the article

www.independent.co.uk

Viggo Mortensen: ‘The criticism of Green Book is based on a load of bulls***’

The Lord of the Rings star, dubbed Hollywood’s most appealing man, still feels hurt that the Oscar-winning movie has become a byword for whitewashing racism, but he’s prepared to face controversy again in his directorial debut, he tells Patrick Smith

Also goes into his opinion on Lord of the Rings and his politics (He voted for Jill Stein in 2016 lol)

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Like if he thinks that way, why not actually respond to the criticism instead of just calling it bullshit? He's not exactly winning his own argument here.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Disappointing to see the Independent relying on click-bait titles when that's a tiny part of the interview.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Mahershala Ali should be ashamed of himself for lending his talent and blackness to this racist piece of shit movie

Whitewashed bullshit that centered a racist white man in the story of black American's ongoing struggle against racist whites. Only idiots like this movie.

Fuck this bitch named viggo

Last edited:

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive-Drive-By; Dismissing Concerns Around Racism
Green Book was a pretty good film and I hope Viggo continues being a great actor.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
He could actually address the concerns over the movie. Like using a very important part of civil rights history as just a throwaway title

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Green book :a movie not about the person who actually wrote the book it but about his white Italian driver's teaching him to eat fried chicken

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Lovecraft country a show with demons and magic, did more with the green books and civil rights then the movie called the GreenBook.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Jill Stein? Lol. He didn't actually explain why it's bullshit. His new movie, if handled poorly, could be the green book for homophobia honestly.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a terrible film and all the criticisms are valid. But of course, Mortensen doesn't even bother to engage with it at all, so all he is doing is showing his ass here.

If anyone is wondering, this is a good video going into it
:

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
www.indiewire.com

‘Green Book’ Writer Nick Vallelonga Supported Trump’s Claim That New Jersey Muslims Cheered 9/11

Vallelonga deleted his Twitter profile after his social media post resurfaced online.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-09-at-6.49.50-PM.png

C'mon Viggo.

Oct 27, 2017
In a normal workplace you wouldn't do that - I think it is a fair point. It does feel like post-hoc justification, mind.

So you'd be against actors being asked their race before being cast in a film about race?

Not sure I understand. And its a false dilemma. There are tons of great gay actors who are already out. You wouldn't even have to ask. Being an actor or actress isn't a normal job. How many castings for "big busted women" have their been in Hollywood? You wouldn't feel ok printing that in a normal job ad lol.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
So you'd be against actors being asked their race before being cast in a film about race?

Not sure I understand. And its a false dilemma. There are tons of great gay actors who are already out. You wouldn't have to ask.

Depending on labour laws/industry standards it may not be legal to ask. I'm not talking about from an ethical POV.

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on labour laws/industry standards it may not be legal to ask. I'm not talking about from an ethical POV.

Yup, but im pretty sure most laws like that have exceptions for things like casting. Isnt that why Hooter waitresses were hired as entertainers rather than food service? So they were allowed to discriminate based on looks when hiring? I could be totally wrong but thats what I was told and have believed most of my life lol.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Like Slayven said, Lovecraft Country did more with the concepts and themes of Green Book, so it'll be forgotten as a misfire on many levels. Oh and the writer is islamophobic? Grand!

So while he was writing his script for his first directed film, he thought of changing the gender of the partner just as an experiment and went with it, and then because he didn't have to pay an actor, he played a gay character. With his response to Green Book becoming a pejorative but not reflecting on the criticisms and this about LGBT casting, it looks like he's got a lot of blindness going on.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, but im pretty sure most laws like that have exceptions for things like casting. Isnt that why Hooter waitresses were hired as entertainers rather than food service? So they were allowed to discriminate based on looks when hiring? I could be totally wrong but thats what I was told and have believed most of my life lol.
Looks aren't a protected class so you can be fired/not hired for being ugly. But things closely tied to looks are protected classes so if you're going to fire somebody for being ugly you better be careful!

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns Around Racism
Anyone care to explain why they like Green Book despite its problematic issues with race?

its a great movie with awesome direction and even better performances.. its also entertaining.. plus, folks outside countries dealing with things presented in movies dont really get what the problems are or just dont think of the movie as problematic.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've nothing specifically against viggo nor see him as regularly exhibiting problematic views (may be unaware of such of course); and for sure he's an excellent actor and yes his performance in the film (which I thought was average overall and definitely guilty of many of the charges laid against it - white saviour, etc)... but TBH even reading full article he doesn't really give any meaningful arguments with receipts & I think he's ultimately incorrect.

Ultimately as one white male to another and one CIS guy to another (I presume) I'd advise him to turn of the transmit mode and activate listen mode when it comes to race & sexuality.

And while I agree on principle on his view on playing a gay man himself (there shouldn't be inherent barrier to this) but again in context it's better to try and enable those still suffering from abuse and allowing them to play themselves. That said his point about it saving a salary I guess does hold up in terms of simply allowing the film to exist. Doesn't mean it can't be critised accordingly though.

Yeah he's not doing himself favours here. Should have taken the L and assimilated the lesson.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I saw Green Book, but mostly forgot what happened in it, so I had to turn to Wikipedia. I also forgot that it won Best Picture. What a load of crap. A generic, forgettable, and racially problematic film winning Best Picture while some great films like Roma and BlacKkKlansman were tossed aside. It reminds me of Crash winning Best Picture, which was another racially problematic/trash film.

Also, in the same Oscars year that Green Book won, Bohemian Rhapsody won 4 awards. Rami Malek winning was fine, but that film actually won Best Editing? One of the worst Oscars ever.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Some more in the article

www.independent.co.uk

Viggo Mortensen: ‘The criticism of Green Book is based on a load of bulls***’

The Lord of the Rings star, dubbed Hollywood’s most appealing man, still feels hurt that the Oscar-winning movie has become a byword for whitewashing racism, but he’s prepared to face controversy again in his directorial debut, he tells Patrick Smith

Also goes into his opinion on Lord of the Rings and his politics (He voted for Jill Stein in 2016 lol)

He's also a Habs fan.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Love 2 complain when my movie won the best picture Oscar but some people were mean about it on twitter

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Funny to call the critique irresponsible when peoples entire critique was about the film being the irresponsible thing

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I saw his new movie, it's an exhausting slog and seems to revel in how many slurs and swear words it can throw at the viewer.