• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know if there's problems with prototype leaks here on ERA but there's a lot of threads about fantranslations and other unreleased stuff like StarCraft Ghost already so...

Gaming site "Gaming Alexandria" has released an online ROM image of a prototype of Viewpoint 2064, the sadly unreleased sequel to the wonderful Aicom's Viewpoint for Neo Geo. It was made by Sammy around mid 1999 but sadly was cancelled in 2000. Nintendo 64 is notoriously known for having an extremely weak and mediocre catalog of traditional STG/Shmups titles, so this sure will surprise a lot of people.

4991694000352_1L_waifu2x_art_noise1_scale_tta_1.png

Someone already played the game with an extensive review:

The game is playable, it is almost finished and is working on emulators and flashcards. Also the soundtrack was ripped and it's pretty decent, if you want to check it out.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn... This game kind of reminds me of RayForce and RayStorm for some reason. It actually looks pretty good.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Looks lame, a mashup of subgenres, ugly as sin ‐ looks nothing like the beautiful isometric original.

Cringe at shoot-em-up pronounced IRL as 'shoomuuup'.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Not surprised it was cancelled, it looks like an early PS1 game and it plays like an on rails game from the early 90s.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Always interested in stuff like this seeing the light of day. Now where's Rev Limit?

extremely weak and mediocre? I liked Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth quite a bit, actually.
Don't forget Bangaioh, even though I prefer the DC port and DS sequel.

Also Starfox 64 and Sin & Punishment should probably count for something.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That boxart though. Looks like it was designed by 10 different people.
looks like an early mockup, you def don;t have box art finished when your game is still in prototype phase, and the upscale smoothing filter doesn't do it any justice either

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Reminds me of the sequel of Game Tengoku using also 3d models and looking and playing worse than the original

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Always interested in stuff like this seeing the light of day. Now where's Rev Limit?

Rev limit was leaked but it was never close to finished. I think it was about 40 to 60 percent done. Pity really as it actually looked really nice.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
The original Viewpoint had a legendary soundtrack, my initial thoughts of this one is that only a handful of songs standout and they don't have the vibe of the original.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Those are great ones. S&P is one of my favourite games of all time but I don't think it's controversial to say the Nintendo 64 has a weak shooter line up compared to the Saturn and Playstation, though.

I will check out this Viewpoint game.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Woah, I never knew Rev Limit leaked! Wow.

Those are great ones. S&P is one of my favourite games of all time but I don't think it's controversial to say the Nintendo 64 has a weak shooter line up compared to the Saturn and Playstation, though.

I will check out this Viewpoint game.
Oh yeah, I'd agree with N64 being super weak overall in comparison to Saturn and PS1. The fact you can count it's notable shmups on one hand (Star Fox 64, Sin & Punishment, Star Soldier 64, Bangaoh, Dezaemon 3D) gives that away. But it still had that handful of stuff at least and two of those are genre greats too imo.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Ohhh i want it. SNK please, deliver a full NG collection for consoles. And add as extras some unfinished games and projects please.

Pd. To be fair the original seems much better, so great ost and really difficult.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't look bad IMO? But it's missing the baller soundtrack of the first game. Shit slapped hard

tumblr_inline_orddff6JXE1qbhmtm_540.gif

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Great and unexpected news though the prototype was unearthed a few years ago.

Full soundtrack:

extremely weak and mediocre? I liked Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth quite a bit, actually.
It had some banging music for sure.

N64 had very few shmups so that's probably what Hayama Akito meant (yeah, yeah I know that Star Fox 64 is the best selling shmups ever but the point still stand).