• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Geoff and everyone who worked on the TGA's!

That's a lot of people who got to see the best reveal there (Outer Worlds).

Yep. Obsidian seems to still have it despite what some doubters were saying. I'm looking forward to the Outer Worlds and seeing what else they'll develop in the future.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
That's more than three times as many viewers as Sunday Night Football. I know this is counting worldwide streams, but still, it's a huge success.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's apples to oranges since you're comparing US TV ratings for the Oscars versus worldwide online streaming of The Game Awards.

Still very impressive the growth that Geoff's made with the show, but the Oscars have global viewership way higher then the US TV ratings from everything I've read.

Do they? That's interesting. I wouldn't think anyone cared.

Anyway, TGAs will doubtlessly get bigger next year in terms of reveals and presentation. Twenty six million potential viewers is nothing at all to sneeze at.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
26 million live streams... that's a lot of eyeballs. Expect even bigger reveals in the 2019 show.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Geoff Keighley! It's been a lot of fun watching you grow the show. Can't wait to see what it is next year especially since it'll be the last event of 2019 leading into a new generation in 2020.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Geoff. But I wonder how many of these people are Crinja fans which won't be back next year.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Good for him and everyone else for putting together something more respectable. Next time, let's do fewer celebrity presenters (JONAH HILL) and do more performance talent (Voice actors, motion capture, composers, etc). They deserve more of that lime light.

Also, fewer things like that awkward Devil Trigger performance, lol. Overall the show felt a bit long, and maybe they could have put some of those world premiers at the beginning and end, and focused the center more so on the awards instead of splitting them up.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Article from Variety. I love the idea of taking the show to London / Tokyo / Seoul / Montreal. This is a global industry, and that deserves to be celebrated.

Massive congrats and respect to Geoff. I'm sure 2019 will be even bigger and better!

Last edited:

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find it weird how big the show is now and how little we saw in terms of big announcements. The vast majority of the reveals were indie games.

My bet: most AAA games in development right now are next gen games, that is why we didnt get to see them.

That said, we didnt see even stuff like Gears 5 and Days Gone, which I would think Microsoft and Sony would like to expose them as their flagship titles next year.

Ixzion

Nov 7, 2017
I'm completely happy for Geoff and The Game Awards! Well-deserved numbers and hopefully they keep improving!

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find it weird how big the show is now and how little we saw in terms of big announcements. The vast majority of the reveals were indie games.

My bet: most AAA games in development right now are next gen games, that is why we didnt get to see them.

That said, we didnt see even stuff like Gears 5 and Days Gone, which I would think Microsoft and Sony would like to expose them as their flagship titles next year.

After this news, he's going to have more AAA pubs calling him asking for a slot in the 2019 show. He's proved the show's worth now.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna know how many people stuck around till the end. Show was so boring and it became obvious pretty quickly they didn't have any major reveals.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations Geoff and the rest of your crew. The show continues to get better and better each year. But please, please, please, please stop giving people a platform that don't deserve it anymore (Boogie as an example).

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Geoff! I look forward to the continued growth! Hope we can get more awards presented and less lightning round.

I'm still salty about Serral not even being nominated in esports!

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very happy for Geoff, but good lord I hope the show is about 45min shorter next year, with less emphasis on e-sports and social media (right, fat chance eh?).

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
SonicFox was the highlight for me. The game annoncements were also great for the most part, and more awards were given on screen. Maybe next year they won't have to rush through the awards. And we will finally get our Metroid trailer, if the game doesn't release before then. Third time's the charm.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, with numbers like this, I have to imagine that next year there are going to be bigger announcements at the show-- especially if there's no PSX again.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Geoff Keighley for another amazing year. What I love most about these shows is they bring smaller games like Celeste, Return of the Obra Dinn, and The Messenger, as well as important figures in gaming like Steven Spohn of AbleGamers into the limelight. Worthwhile games and organizations like these getting so many eyes on them is such a positive effect of The Game Awards.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Damn good show! I'm still salty that Metroid ended up being a no-show but it was still either my favorite or 2nd favorite TGA yet! Congrats Geoff!

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It was a well paced show imo. Geoff might need to tone down trying to be traditional like a big awards show though and try for a more unique vision. I loved the higher production but traditional awards shows shouldn't be emulated because most of them get terrible ratings these days. I wasn't bored and thought it was great but I know several people that thought it was dry and boring.

It's an impossible task. If he goes too serious he is called a normie but if he tries to meme and goes too far into the culture it will be made fun of by the cringekids. I think the show had the right balance, except the puppet shit with Ninja, I don't know where that fit.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the "boy" joke when the God of War actors were presenting was sort of a moment when the awards really arrived. That was a genuinely funny, mature type of joke you'd see at more traditional awards like the Oscars

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was the most coherent show he's put together so far, cringe was pretty minimal. Glad to see it's doing well.