• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Putting this as a rumor since there's no official statements on the matter, only complaints from a few youtubers and streamers. These tweets are from an editor for the streamer CohhCarnage.

Hope they can get this sorted before Legendary Edition hits.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Whattttt?

How odd

WB is claiming old ass Mass Effect music? Woah

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This is extra troubling because EA has had the ME songs in licensed song libraries for a LONG time now. Tons of space documentaries and various YT videos use ME music entirely legally and as part of their song license agreements with those services. If WB is making claims willy-nilly without checking for valid licenses they should be hit with some lawsuits in response.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I remember when they thought they were going to do a movie with this garbage franchise.

Good on WB for getting some value out of it at last.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It's really bullshit how this applies retroactively. DMCA needs to be revisited and rethought in todays climate.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
This is extra troubling because EA has had the ME songs in licensed song libraries for a LONG time now. Tons of space documentaries and various YT videos use ME music entirely legally and as part of their song license agreements with those services. If WB is making claims willy-nilly without checking for valid licenses they should be hit with some lawsuits in response.
Yeah, the ME soundtrack is so commonly licenced that it seems like the sort of thing that would throw up way too many false positives.

I also think WB probably don't have any rights to the actual soundtrack of the games, either. That'd be a weird thing to include in a movie deal.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
This is how spontaneous combustion occurs.
The idea that they were going to make a movie after purposely sabotaging their IP was always ridiculous. The fact that it never happened was foreseeable to pretty much anyone who looked with clear eyes.

I will admit to the snark. But I do actually think stealing ad revenue from content creators is the most value WB will ever get out of owning the rights here.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
On the runup to the LE release?

If true, a lot of twitch streams are gonna get silenced in a week

Oct 27, 2017
Can EA overrule them? EA allows streaming, right? Seems crazy that because they happen to have the license for the movie rights that they can take down game videos for the music, even if they will be using the same music in the movies (which will probably never be made).

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Can EA overrule them? EA allows streaming, right? Seems crazy that because they happen to have the license for the movie rights that they can take down game videos for the music, even if they will be using the same music in the movies (which will probably never be made).
Yeah this is a joke. I mean could this cause an issue for streamers? The remaster is out within a week and this could be hanging over people's heads, that's not a good thing for EA.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
A week before the Legendary Edition, this is specially bad. People are going to be streaming these games come next Friday, so if this is still happening then, it's going to be a mess.

Or people will just avoid streaming the games altogether, which isn't good for EA either.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, not a good look especially for streamers and people putting up playthroughs on youtube. There will be a lot of newcomers for these games.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Naw man, DMCA would let you sue Warner since false complaints are perjury.

YouTube & Content ID are the problem.
Nah, still fuck DMCA, lol.

I don't want to sue a billion dollar company who has infinitely more time, money and lawyers than I can afford.

Just let me listen to fucking music on a stream.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this is why I'm seriously dreading the implementation of the European Union Copyright Directive next month...

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Another thing that's weird is outside of the Silent Hill movies I can't think of a single video game movie that actually uses music from the games in it so there's an extra level of weirdness to this I feel.