• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact they stopped using it (at least while I'm around) makes them anything but pieces of shit. I've known some of them for 20+ years now and I wouldn't be alive without them, but thanks for calling some of my friends pieces of shit and judging me for being friends with them I guess.

Weird how you instantly became unlikeable to me but I'm still willing to hang out with people that are willing to listen instead. Just a hint, stop judging people over the internet. It rarely works, makes you look like a douchebag and makes people less willing to apologize for anything.

If you people arent willing to apologize for being stupid because someone on the internet hurt their feelings that's their own fault

Also I specifically said I wasnt talking about you or your friends but the many people who would defend and hang out with people still using that word/refusing to apologize for it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you people arent willing to apologize for being stupid because someone on the internet hurt their feelings that's their own fault
1. "You people" is very telling, I don't have to apologize for anything. Maybe reread that first post of mine you replied to. Nice try though.

2. You aren't hurting my feelings, you're just acting like an asshole labeling me or any of my friends like you know me. And I can't fault anyone to not apologize for anything to you or anyone that behaves like you.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also I specifically said I wasnt talking about you or your friends but the many people who would defend and hang out with people still using that word/refusing to apologize for it.
"Also not specifically targeting you but its amazing how many of you hang out with pieces of shit " is basically

"I wasn't talking about your or your friends but actually I was adressing you, too."

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Also not specifically targeting you but its amazing how many of you hang out with pieces of shit " is basically

"I wasn't talking about your or your friends but actually I was adressing you, too."

I apologize then my wording on that was bad and wasnt meant to be targeted at you. My overall point is that we recognize when people fuck up and not rush to make excuses for them.

If you want an example of what I mean that is very relevant look at how Jonah hill apologized using the slur.

May 9, 2018
This has literally never been an issue before with other entities on this forum.
See Staff Post regarding THQ Nordic threads below.
Dunkey and the THQ Nordic incident are very different things, but thanks for highlighting the "However, please do not make accusations against your fellow community members simply because they are still interested in discussing their products or announcements" part of the mod statement.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dunkey thread with 5 pages, I knew what this is gonna be about; this is what I come here for.

one of his better videos.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I apologize then my wording on that was bad and wasnt meant to be targeted at you. My overall point is that we recognize when people fuck up and not rush to make excuses for them.

If you want an example of what I mean that is very relevant look at how Jonah hill apologized using the slur.
Thanks for the apology. I get your point, but to me questioning with what intent someone uses language or at least not assuming the worst everytime isn't the same as making excuses for them. It's undeniable that he fucked up. But whether it was out of ignorance or malice is something I can't know as a bystander.

Obviously it would be better if he just apologized. The fact he didn't either means he didn't think it was that bad and just focused on being better or that he is an unrepentant mofo. Just hoping it blows over isn't good, but if he refrains from using it in the future it's better than nothing, and at least nowhere near Pewdiepie. At least from my perspective.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely one of my favorite Dunkey videos since BEEG BEEG Yoshi

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It feels honestly weird that with some "outrage" inciting comments I can't decide anymore if it's legitimate and deserved criticism or someone wanting to stir up shit to post about on the Agents of Shield of message boards.

As in, desperately trying to be part of the bigger universe but getting declined over and over.

This wasn't the best analogy as the series has purposefully pushed itself away from trying to be apart of the bigger universe and has barely/loosely tried to tie in specifically to the films since the end of season 2/beginning of season 3 (and we're currently at the end of season 6). :P

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dunkey and the THQ Nordic incident are very different things, but thanks for highlighting the "However, please do not make accusations against your fellow community members simply because they are still interested in discussing their products or announcements" part of the mod statement.

I am aware but the core principal still stands; you're welcome, I do not disagree with that part of the mod statement at all.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I feel like I'm not allowed to express any admiration for people on this forum because someone will come up with something they said years ago and accuse me of supporting racism/homophobia/etc. I usually just don't interact with these sort of threads which is probably the best approach even though I'd like to comment and discuss content.
It's hard not to run into it when every thread turns into "remember when someone did that thing? Don't like anything they do because of that thing they did in the past"

Mods should start making sure threads stay on topic instead of each one turning into the same repeated arguments over and over again.

Guy A said something bad in the past. Now every thread about Guy A must be about the bad thing he said in the past, regardless of the new topic.

Jun 12, 2018
Saw 5 pages, immediately knew that it had been derailed in some way. Good lord, really hope ERA does something about this eventually.

We're reaching the point that if any media personality gets a thread past 2 pages, I already know it's because some poster brought up how the person in question may have done something debatable shit years ago, and wants to derail or chastise the rest of the posters for consuming their content.

We even have posters PRE-EMPTIVELY asking nowadays if someone has done something that warrants them being "cancelled"(specifically seen this with SomeCallMeJohnny). Do yall realize how stupid that is?

Anyways, on topic. I don't know why people bother with those levels, I wouldn't even call that hard, just a level that requires you to go through a crap ton of trial and error. I really don't like that kind of difficulty.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw 5 pages, immediately knew that it had been derailed in some way. Good lord, really hope ERA does something about this eventually.

We're reaching the point that if any media personality gets a thread past 2 pages, I already know it's because some poster brought up how the person in question may have done something debatable shit years ago, and wants to derail or chastise the rest of the posters for consuming their content.

We even have posters PRE-EMPTIVELY asking nowadays if someone has done something that warrants them being "cancelled"(specifically seen this with SomeCallMeJohnny). Do yall realize how stupid that is?

Anyways, on topic. I don't know why people bother with those levels, I wouldn't even call that hard, just a level that requires you to go through a crap ton of trial and error. I really don't like that kind of difficulty.

Imagine if there was a thread like videogamedunkey plays a THQ Nordic game

On topic: Fuck that level

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
User Warned: Posting offensive content
I'd have gone insane long long ago trying to do this level. F

So Dunkey has some sort of pass that allows him to say faggot, right? Cool.

EDIT: Had link to MSI - F***** video. But gonna remove to avoid any trouble. Maybe a non-apology feels better for him personally rather than rehashing it?

It's happening with girlfriend reviews now too. For the most inconsequential shit imaginable.

Seriously? I'm pretty much in the dark on that, no idea how they could have offended someone.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Dunkey thread with 5 pages, I knew what this is gonna be about; this is what I come here for.

one of his better videos.

No dunkey thread is complete without it.

But I understand and agree with a lot of the points, dunkey shouldn't get a pass or excuse for saying bad shit like the f-word and the n-word and then not apologizing for it. There was a time when I was watching his videos in fear of him saying something like that, but he at least looks like he has shaped up since then and dropped this shit. I really don't want to drop him cause he's legit the funniest youtuber I know and watching any of his videos instantly brightens up my mood, especially on shitty days, but if he started pulling this crap again it would get too much for me to continue to enjoy his content.

I'm just tired of this. I used to be a big jontron fanboy cause back then he was the funniest guy on youtube as well, now I can't even watch one of his old videos without a sour taste in my mouth.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
It's hard not to run into it when every thread turns into "remember when someone did that thing? Don't like anything they do because of that thing they did in the past"

Mods should start making sure threads stay on topic instead of each one turning into the same repeated arguments over and over again.

Guy A said something bad in the past. Now every thread about Guy A must be about the bad thing he said in the past, regardless of the new topic.
The "Cancel Culture" of this board is encouraged (provided you're being cancelled for the 'right reasons') and you're fooling yourself if you believe the mods will lift a finger to prevent it from happening.

I'm not going to pretend like Dunkey didn't do a shitty thing, but I learned awhile ago to just separate art from artist and move on with my life. You dig deep enough into anybody's past and you're gonna find some shit that stinks.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean I get wanting to call out bad people, but the deliberate derails in different threads are getting pretty annoying.

I dont even like the guy, but if it was something he was still doing and not something from years back, maybe I'd feel different about it.
The derail came from some alt-right fuck's alt-account so you know who to blame.
The "Cancel Culture" of this board is encouraged (provided you're being cancelled for the 'right reasons') and you're fooling yourself if you believe the mods will lift a finger to prevent it from happening.

I'm not going to pretend like Dunkey didn't do a shitty thing, but I learned awhile ago to just separate art from artist and move on with my life. You dig deep enough into anybody's past and you're gonna find some shit that stinks.

youtubers will be youtubers amirite

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
The derail came from some alt-right fuck's alt-account so you know who to blame.
How do you know he's alt-right?? WTF.

I see he's been banned for being an alt account, but I'm not seeing anything that would make him a neo-nazi.

Also, how do the mods determine what's an alt-account and what's not? I assume it has something to do with similar email names or whatever but I've never really been sure.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California

That's a shame.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
'A few things' in this case is racism and homophobic slurs. If that kind of stuff doesn't bother you, then you sound like you would fit in just fine at the old place.

What? Racism when?

Do people just start adding labels to this guy once one has already?.

Wow, it's almost like there's one thing he could do that would suggest that he's turned a new leaf and genuinely thought about the harm his last statements had caused. Instead let's just ignore it and pretend everything fine. It's almost like I specifically pointed out accepting this bullshit is the real issue.

I'm done in this thread. If he apologised I wouldn't be here or if ya'll didn't get so upset about prejudice being called out I wouldn't be here.

I can't discuss this when people see a sincere apology is some totally unimaginable standard.

Your last line betrays that I guarantee, you would find any apology he made not good enough. Which is likely why he hasn't. If they only people who would appreciate an apology are also the ones who would scrutinize any apology he made to no end and likely not find it acceptable (because you know SOMEONE would not), like yeah, I can see him not bothering.

Me? I'd probably apologize. I know back when I was younger, there are a lot of things I said, such as the F word, that, being a midwesterner like Dunkey, were extremely normal, childish insults that pretty much not a soul understood the actual meanings of. I did learn the meaning in the last couple years (see if I admit that it was in the last couple years I get bizarre insults attacking me for not being woke quick enough. Every time), so I stopped, because I'm not a bad person. I don't know who the hell I would apologize too, because I don't know of any gay people who I would have said that too. If I did, I'd probably apologize to them, although by this point, given there's no person I could apologize too, I figure the best way to handle it is just not...stop. Have an effectual change.

I don't know Dunkey's thought process on this. I am disappointed that he hasn't addressed it at all. But I don't think that he is a raging racist or homophobe either. I think things are more complicated than that, sorry. And I don't think it's right to call everyone else complicit in supporting a racist and homophobe because they enjoy the content of a guy who one time said the F word on stream. I'm sorry, but to a great number of normal, kind, compassionate but reasonable people, I think a lot of us feel that that is just ridiculously extreme. That doesn't mean I'm justifying it. That's the whole fucking point. But we can have levels of gray between, raging homophobe (like someone like Pogo, who genuinely wishes death on all gay people and whom I cannot listen to any more for that reason), and not being homophobic at all. I just can't agree Dunkey is closer to the former. He does not demonstrate that view in anything he says, which, having known MANY homophobic people in the midwest here, it ALWAYS bleeds through. They find a way, even if they're not like aggressively homophobic. If they find it uncomfortable, it becomes a part of their regular humor, and they often test the waters to get a reaction. Dunkey does not do any of these things, which to me indicates that he is not homophobic; he just said an insensitive thing once. I can find this bad and disappointing without also wanting to completely cancel and deplatform him. And that is how a great deal of the people in this thread feel as well.

But hey, go ahead and just don't read anything I said and dismiss the nuance and human treatment I'm trying to convey as a complicated excuse to enjoy a youtuber's content, even though I already listed an example of just one of the people I stopped supporting due to their views. I'm sure there's some reason that doesn't count or whatever. I'm a pariah now. < See that sarcasm? That's what the first post about this in this thread was as far as I can tell, commenting on the fact that Era has this conversation in every Dunkey thread, condemning not only him but attacking anyone who doesn't aggressively condemn him as well.

Yes because doubling down is the same as giving a fucking apology I guess

This is another part of it. You guys just fucking lie. Dunkey never doubled-down on the F word. Ever. But you guys are fine with slinging a bunch of bullshit because ultimately it drags his name through the mud and he's a bad person so it doesn't matter if you aren't telling the truth. You'll find some way of saying your objectively wrong statements are tangentially related to the truth, even though you're misleading those who come into these threads and don't know the situation. You want to paint Dunkey as bad and evil as possible (I still laugh at the one guy who vaguely said Dunkey has "dangerous ideas" lol, which that person ought to have known would definitely not paint an accurate picture; makes him sound like a right ring recruiter), and so you're fine with bending the truth and generalizing in ways that make it sound worse than he is. Probably some of you because you're worried presenting the truth at the outset won't be severe enough to convince someone to vilify him.

It is perfectly fine to not support Dunkey. I absolutely understand. But sorry if I find twisting the truth and inaccuracies about someone's sins highly problematic. That shit quickly runs out of control, and that's not okay.

It just contributes to the toxic conversation that always arises in these threads, because rightly it causes people not to take you seriously.

I know quite a few people who used the F word without thinking about how it might hurt others until they were made aware of it. They were absolutely idiots. Ignorant, but not hateful. Most of the stopped after I had some discussions about it. They didn't even know what the Stonewall Riots were. So someone using that word doesn't automatically make them a homophobe to me. It always depends on what circles they have frequented in the past, if they know about the implications or not and how they act after having been educated on the matter.
It's not like teaching about LGBTQ issues has been as prevalent in schools as, say, slavery and the use of the N word and what that entails. That only changed in the last couple years.

You can now say I'm just bending over backwards to defend him, and you probably will, but that's just my general experience with people around me.

See and in my case, many younger people didn't really know what the N word meant either. Probably more than the F word. They heard it on xbox live. It's really sad, but even racism isn't always taught well in the midwest either, especially because even though it'll be gone over in history class that slavery is bad and all that, anti-racism is never, ever a thing teachers or staff will engage in. That doesn't ever make it right, and I think quite a few kids, especially the more they interact with the internet at a younger age, around here know what it means. But not all, or even if they do, they're often not thinking about it. This isn't a justification, it's just how the psychology of it works. Most I know, as they've grown older, have stopped touching that word if they ever used it before. Many just continue to, because in the world they inhabit, nothing has caused them to think about these things on a deep level. That doesn't mean they are bad people. Hearing about it and continuing to purposely use it? Yeah, that's bad. Hearing about it and trying to avoid saying it? Good. But before that point, it's not that simple.

I'll probably get called a liar again for implying not everyone has the same level awareness of these concepts as everyone on this forum but oh well. Sorry I don't live in the same part of the world as a lot of you.

Last edited:

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This. Even gaming side is becoming almost unusable because every thread is just bickering about what someone might have said 5 years ago or about if someone made a friendly reference to someone else who hugged jontron once. It's nice to care about stuff but it's also nice to have topics that are even slightly on topic and able to function.

Either ban discussion of an entity or don't. Don't just have threads be complete shitshows every damn time. It's a mess.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

I like Dunkey but I'm only posting this because someone called it out and you asked for receipts.

6 years ago he said "nigga" in a video.

I still watch Dunkey and understand he has said both "nigga" and "faggot" without apologizing but both instances happened multiple years ago without another instance cropping up since. I don't know if he's just playing it wise and refraining from including that stuff in videos so he doesn't get called out again or if he has really changed. I'm gonna believe he has changed for the better but if he says something offensivee like that again I'm willing to drop him.

It just feels like on this board it's one strike and you're done. I have completely avoided the RedLetterMedia thread in EtcetEra because no good will come from sticking my nose into that conversation, and anytime I see Dunkey in the title of a thread I know exactly how it's going to play out. The constant thread derailments really should be looked at in instances like this. If the topic was solely about his past bad behavior then sure, talk about it all you want but almost half the posts in this thread alone are strictly about Dunkey's past when it has nothing to do with the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.