• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol Pretty entertaining video.
Those Orb puzzles are pretty freaking easy though if you just take your time.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to add that I agree with Krejlooc here. I don't get the slightest discomfort from smooth locomotion, but I prefer teleportation.

With teleportation, I'm essentially just moving my room-space and I walk around in that space. Real-life movement is by far the best movement for presence, but obviously you need something to overcome those physical limitations. In addition, I think smooth locomotion may even be a negative to presence. Something about gliding around doesn't feel natural. And while teleportation isn't natural either, it's more of an omission of something, and you can kind of fill in the gaps between two points. Half-Life: Alyx in particular greatly aids in this by making the world itself aware of your movement through the teleport, in contextualized audio effects based on the circumstances of the teleport (clothing sounds, a heavy thump if you jump down onto metal, etc.).

I don't greatly dislike smooth locomotion though. For people with a small room space, you're not going to be moving (room-scale) that much anyway, and therefore smooth locomotion makes sense. Some games are also designed for you to be in movement constantly, and smooth locomotion makes sense here too.

The funny thing about my very vocal opinion on teleportation is that I thought the concept was terrible the first time I heard about it. I didn't come aboard the teleportation wagon until budget cuts introduced it to me properly. After playing budget cuts with full roomscale, my entire opinion on locomotion changed. It was a change that occured because I kept an open mind, my opinion was actually swayed through persuasion.

I'd say probably more than just about 99% of people on this board, I've concentrated on experimenting with locomotion. The only other person I know on the entire internet who has a virtuix omni would be ThatsMyTrunks for example. I plopped down money for this:

CaF5KQ8UcAA4b8_.jpg

Because I wanted to have an informed opinion of just about every type of locomotion around. Shortly after I got my HTC vive, for example, I sat down and cloned the Budget Cuts teleportation mechanic in Unity as a test. Wanted to see, mechanically, how it all worked, so I built a system that shot out physical teleportation balls, created portal cameras, all that. As a test, I recreated a level of goldeneye to "spy" around the level with the mechanic. Breaking it down and playing with it as a developer opened my eyes.

iIKiCv9.png

Someone asked why I use teleportation? Because I've tried all the other methods of locomotion, and I very honestly believe teleportation and roomscale can't be beaten.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Idk why after watching that I really wanna see/play a VR Dead Rising game lol.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
This thread got derailed fast.

Video was ok. Seeing people fumble around in VR is only funny to me if I can see them in person too. It's what makes showing friends VR so much fun. Also, the game letting you teleport of ledges to your death seems like a weird mechanic.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk why after watching that I really wanna see/play a VR Dead Rising game lol.

the more interactive a VR world is, the more fun they tend to be. Making a VR Dead rising would be really tough, I'd imagine, but if pulled off well it could also be fantastic. Being able to use basically everything as a weapon was Dead Rising's calling card.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, the game letting you teleport of ledges to your death seems like a weird mechanic.

There was one point where I sequence broke the events that were supposed to play out, and found myself trapped and unable to proceed. Luckily, there was a pit next to me that I could jump into to kill myself, which spared me from having to exit the game and restart and load my save to try again.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
My first experience with VR was in some games where I could teleport and move around. I had no problems with that.

Then I experienced a game where I could use the stick to move and I almost barfed on the floor in just 5 seconds.

No matter how much I tried, I couldn't enjoy the game playing it that way.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The funny thing about my very vocal opinion on teleportation is that I thought the concept was terrible the first time I heard about it. I didn't come aboard the teleportation wagon until budget cuts introduced it to me properly. After playing budget cuts with full roomscale, my entire opinion on locomotion changed. It was a change that occured because I kept an open mind, my opinion was actually swayed through persuasion.

I'd say probably more than just about 99% of people on this board, I've concentrated on experimenting with locomotion. The only other person I know on the entire internet who has a virtuix omni would be ThatsMyTrunks for example. I plopped down money for this:

CaF5KQ8UcAA4b8_.jpg

Because I wanted to have an informed opinion of just about every type of locomotion around. Shortly after I got my HTC vive, for example, I sat down and cloned the Budget Cuts teleportation mechanic in Unity as a test. Wanted to see, mechanically, how it all worked, so I built a system that shot out physical teleportation balls, created portal cameras, all that. As a test, I recreated a level of goldeneye to "spy" around the level with the mechanic. Breaking it down and playing with it as a developer opened my eyes.

iIKiCv9.png

Someone asked why I use teleportation? Because I've tried all the other methods of locomotion, and I very honestly believe teleportation and roomscale can't be beaten.
Wow nice post! How much room are you working with when doing room scale?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow nice post! How much room are you working with when doing room scale?

Not a ton of space, it's my living room. About 10' x 8'. Enough to be able to take multiple steps in every direction, but not like walk huge distances. Again, I liken the actual teleportation mechanic to the screen scrolling of classic zelda games. Teleportation is doing this for me:

example.gif

After I teleport, until I reach the bounds of my space, I'm free to walk about.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX

CaF5KQ8UcAA4b8_.jpg

iIKiCv9.png

I got rid of my Omni, it was a piece of shit.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got rid of my Omni, it was a piece of shit.

My point was, when people talk about "we need omnidrectional treadmills, they'll solve all of VR's locomotion problems" or other ideas about the panacea for VR, they're largely speaking from their gut. I know the real faults involved with that method of locomotion, with all the methods of locomotion. My preference for roomscale + teleportation comes from sampling basically every method of locomotion around, and deciding it was the one with the least restrictions.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I ran a VR users group out of houston texas where every third thursday of the month we'd hold open house and let anybody come and try headsets at a well funded hackerspace. I demoed to hundreds of people over a several year period. VR legs are largely a myth. The vast, vast number of people I demoed to never were able to acclimate. I've seen private studies from VR firms that seem to indicate that something like 60% of people continously get sick from artificial locomotion even after prolonged exposure. It's a biological reaction, it's not something you can train away. No more than you can train yourself to not get goosebumps.
I believe it. I'd never gotten motion sickness from any game before, no matter what FOV, etc., but the first time I played Skyrim VR on PSVR with a DualShock 4 I felt it after less than 5 minutes, sweating, nauseous.

When I later used Move controllers with it I had no motion sickness, however. I think the amount of sickness with artificial movement depends on speed, how turning works, and whether or not there's a good irising effect.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
My point was, when people talk about "we need omnidrectional treadmills, they'll solve all of VR's locomotion problems" or other ideas about the panacea for VR, they're largely speaking from their gut. I know the real faults involved with that method of locomotion, with all the methods of locomotion. My preference for roomscale + teleportation comes from sampling basically every method of locomotion around, and deciding it was the one with the least restrictions.
Ah, right, I am in total agreement. Just letting you know that I got rid of it. Sold it cheap to someone whose dad had a stroke and wanted a comparatively inexpensive muscle therapy device.

I just wanted the space back in my storage shed.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, right, I am in total agreement. Just letting you know that I got rid of it. Sold it cheap to someone whose dad had a stroke and wanted a comparatively inexpensive muscle therapy device.

I just wanted the space back in my storage shed.

person who co-founded our VR users group in Houston with me got one as well, but he wound up donating his to a local arcade. I managed to pack mine away into my closet, it's rather amazing how I did it because my closet is small. Basically tetris, like putting the dish behind a dresser squeezed up against the back wall sort of deal. I liked the Omni for arcade games, I dunno how much you stayed on but some of the later Omni Arena titles were pretty fun arcade games. I'm someone who has an actual arcade machine in my home, so I adore arcade experiences. But it very clearly was geared towards a very specific type of game if at all, not really something like Half Life Alyx. I remember when GTAVR came out, before the Vive had launched, I did some extremely crazy shit regarding dangling a razer hydra from the ceiling to see how close to being "in" a VR would I could get. I was imagining something like HL:A as I set it all up... and suffice to say, it wasn't really like that at all. It'd be impossible, for example, to duck behind cover in something like the Omni.

I tried the infinideck too, which doesn't have a stabalising ring and is motor powered, but that has it's own problems as well. Namely that it takes a moment for the drive to change directions, so it's impossible to make quick pivots or movements without tripping on yourself. You have to walk veeeery slowly.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

CaF5KQ8UcAA4b8_.jpg

iIKiCv9.png

Happy it works out for you, I despise it, takes me out of the experience, I also don't think Roomscale is the best mode for VR as it is, I played HLA sitting down on my couch, upped my height in VR and had a toggle crouch button, let me do everything I wanted and I didn't have to jump around to play what is otherwise entertainment, I do enjoy the occasional room-scale game, but for games like HLA where I'm playing for 15 hours, I'd rather do it in comfort.
Also, I appreciate your vast experience, but it is important to note that a lot of VR players play using locomotion, it's not that it's impossible, just it might be impossible for you.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happy it works out for you, I despise it, takes me out of the experience, I also don't think Roomscale is the best mode for VR as it is, I played HLA sitting down on my couch, upped my height in VR and had a toggle crouch button, let me do everything I wanted and I didn't have to jump around to play what is otherwise entertainment, I do enjoy the occasional room-scale game, but for games like HLA where I'm playing for 15 hours, I'd rather do it in comfort.
Also, I appreciate your vast experience, but it is important to note that a lot of VR players play using locomotion, it's not that it's impossible, just it might be impossible for you.

Its not impossible to me, nor was that my point at all. Nor was it ever in contention that some people can use artificial locomotion. My contention is the insinuation the teleportation is for the "less experienced" or something similar.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
real jeff gerstmann style ending jeff has a tendency to try and off himself in vr shooters as a test of the engine

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Something about gliding around doesn't feel natural. And while teleportation isn't natural either, it's more of an omission of something, and you can kind of fill in the gaps between two points.

Yeah thats it. It actually make more sense in a way. Short of some large apparatus, you cant walk in vr. Smooth movement is cool but depending on how you look at it, it amounts to pushing your stage around with a thumbstick.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

Any idea on what sorts locomotion options might be the future of VR if the Omni probably isn't it?

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I ran a VR users group out of houston texas where every third thursday of the month we'd hold open house and let anybody come and try headsets at a well funded hackerspace. I demoed to hundreds of people over a several year period. VR legs are largely a myth. The vast, vast number of people I demoed to never were able to acclimate. I've seen private studies from VR firms that seem to indicate that something like 60% of people continously get sick from artificial locomotion even after prolonged exposure. It's a biological reaction, it's not something you can train away. No more than you can train yourself to not get goosebumps.
Yeah but I'd hazard a guess that it's a lot easier to 'grow your VR legs' at home at your own pace as opposed to in a hackerspace, research environment, or friends house. I doubt it's that black and white. I also went from thinking that I'd never be able to do continuous movement to being able to do Wipeout VR with all comfort modes off over a period of time.

I believe that VR legs are a thing, I also believe that there are those that will never acclimate too tho. There are loads of different factors as to why and I suspect a lot more research needs to be done.

I know your expertise but I just don't agree.

People don't want to make themselves sick over and over again in the hope that they might eventually be able to take in a video game.

The best solution is to provide a littany of options. Teleportation vs Artificial locomotion should be a preference, like inverted vs non inverted in conventional gaming.
I personally only ever got really sick a couple of times (had been made aware that you should stop as soon as you feel discomfort, which tends to subside minutes after you stop).

I agree with the second point 100%

I just wanted to add that I agree with Krejlooc here. I don't get the slightest discomfort from smooth locomotion, but I prefer teleportation.

With teleportation, I'm essentially just moving my room-space and I walk around in that space. Real-life movement is by far the best movement for presence, but obviously you need something to overcome those physical limitations. In addition, I think smooth locomotion may even be a negative to presence. Something about gliding around doesn't feel natural. And while teleportation isn't natural either, it's more of an omission of something, and you can kind of fill in the gaps between two points. Half-Life: Alyx in particular greatly aids in this by making the world itself aware of your movement through the teleport, in addition to contextualized audio effects based on the circumstances of the teleport (clothing sounds, a heavy thump if you jump down onto metal, etc.).

I don't greatly dislike smooth locomotion though. For people with a small room space, you're not going to be moving (room-scale) that much anyway, and therefore smooth locomotion makes sense. Some games are also designed for you to be in movement constantly, and smooth locomotion makes sense here too.
I'm yet to do proper room space, I just don't have the room..... Maybe some day 😔

Last edited:

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've had my own Vive at home since launch day (May 2016?) - the things that we thought would make people ill back then still make me ill today in modern games like Boneworks and Alyx (smooth locomotion). I don't think there has been any improvement in my 'VR legs'. But then, I also don't want to try and
acclimatise myself to any sort of discomfort, that's just a no-go for me. I don't want to have to push through feeling weird to play a game.

Teleporting doesn't bother me at all, I don't even think about it - even before smooth locomotion makes me feel ill - I'm pretty sure I do prefer teleporting. I like the analogy to sliding screens in Zelda Krejlooc made. I walk around as much in my physical space and then teleport when necessary.

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
I'm convinced he ignored all the tool tips / tutorials in the game. He doesn't even reload properly. Unless he deliberately did all this - in which case that's just kinda lame.
His videos are supposed to be comedic, so he properly just goes in blind to force some funny moments. It is job after all. Sometimes it works, but other times (like here) it feels forced.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Maybe VR will be like Sword Art Online and Ghost in The Shell 'dive' headsets some day. I'd worry about getting hacked though, yikes.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Is the circle puzzle that frustrating?
Nope, you can see he's not doing it properly either. He's not putting the controller at the right angle (aim to keep it pointed at 90 degrees to the centre of the circle and rotate around), so he doesn't have good control of the dot. He's also not rotating the circle enough with his left hand or adjusting his grip as he goes. Almost all of the puzzles in the game are great fun and work well.

The only frustration is that there really isn't much variation (like 4 types) and you'll be doing them a lot.

Also on the teleportation topic, HL is the only game I've played where continuous motion doesn't make me sick, and yet I still prefer teleportation. Just works better for moving around in the world and feels more immersive.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
My point was, when people talk about "we need omnidrectional treadmills, they'll solve all of VR's locomotion problems" or other ideas about the panacea for VR, they're largely speaking from their gut. I know the real faults involved with that method of locomotion, with all the methods of locomotion.
I never really thought about it much, but yeah the Omni would be terrible for a lot of highly-interactive VR games. Can't crouch behind cover, can't pick anything up off the floor, can't crawl around on your knees looking down through vents (Budget Cuts)...

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
I see he is still unaware that you can load 8 shells into the shotgun at a time :D Also, the orb puzzles aren't so bad, you can move the needle a little towards the goal and let go if you get swarmed by the red bits, if you let go of control you won't fail the puzzle and you can just wait a second and grab it and move again or you can grab the goal and move it towards the other part.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol Pretty entertaining video.
Those Orb puzzles are pretty freaking easy though if you just take your time.

yeah, the orb puzzles are by far the easiest type of puzzle, but his overall point kind of stands... there are points in the game where you do a minigame to open a thing, then do another minigame right after it, then another thing is there that needs a minigame.. all literally steps apart from eachother... and it's like... okay... I get it.. what is the point of all of this exactly?

in a game like alien isolation, the point of the minigame wasn't the minigame itself. The point was the drama and tension that situation brought about because the alien could kill you while you were trying to do that minigame. So the minigames contributed something to the experience -- whatever you think of Alien Isolation, whether you liked it or not, the minigames amplified the tension of the game and contributed to one overall idea.

In HLA there's no such cohesion, and I can't understand why they're there other than to justify VR in some way -- because they hurt the pacing.

Last edited: