• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Is the circle puzzle that frustrating?
No, he's just impatient.

You can grab either the lock or key dot and drag it to the other one. You can also grab the orb to rotate it. Your goal is to drag one of the blue dots towards the other (you can drag either one) and not touch any red dots or walls. If there's too many red obstacles in the way, you can let go of the blue dot and red obstacles will pass right through it.

You can only fail if you are dragging the dot when it touches a red obstacle.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His review TLDR: good game, other than the annoying puzzles/minigames, which is about where I'm at.

I'm in chapter 7 and just don't really have a desire to play anymore because I detest the minigames. They're annoying, they're frequent, and they're not fun. The rest of the game is fun, but not those. I don't understand why every upgrade station and so on has to be guarded by the same tedious puzzles, but it ruins the game for me personally

Can anyone who's completed the game comment on spoilers?
Really wanna watch this but...

There's very little story stuff in the video,, and the enemies/areas he shows are all in the first half of the game or so

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Dunkey is a trip. Him banging his hand on the wall got me, because the last VR game I (re)played was Batman and I tripped over my ottoman and face planted into my bluray case.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
There's very little story stuff in the video,, and the enemies/areas he shows are all in the first half of the game or so
I misread this as 'first half hour' and there was definitely some shit way past that lol, my bad I guess, but ugh wish I didn't watch

also, it's weird. The game looks good when watching it like this. Like, its pretty, sure. but in VR? It's next fucking level, I can't even believe the difference watching it like this vs playing it earlier.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to watch it. I don't know why he was doing the orb puzzles with one hand. Its so much easier if you rotate it with one hand.

Noobiwan

Dec 17, 2017
Kinda telling a lot about the game, if it's still looking incredibly impressive and polished in a dunkey-video.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to watch it. I don't know why he was doing the orb puzzles with one hand. Its so much easier if you rotate it with one hand.

True, but I still agree that the puzzles drag the game down. They're typically not *that* hard, especially in the first half of the game, but they do ramp up and they're also quite frequent and repetitive. If you're like me and simply don't enjoy this type of gameplay, it feels out of place and annoying. When I encounter a puzzle minigame situation I kind of just sigh and try to get it over with rather than get excited for my chance to do a minigame. I hate them.

And while they're generally not that hard, sometimes they do take a couple minutes of messing around (at least for me) and when you have to do that 80 times it adds up and wears on you

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Not VR apparently, he's using teleportation, usually, people who don't play a lot of VR prefer that.

I pretty much only use teleporting. Some people can't just get over motion sickness. I don't want to take something to help play a video game either.

EDIT; Seen your follow up

True, but I still agree that the puzzles drag the game down. They're typically not *that* hard, especially in the first half of the game, but they do ramp up and they're also quite frequent and repetitive. If you're like me and simply don't enjoy this type of gameplay, it feels out of place and annoying. When I encounter a puzzle minigame situation I kind of just sigh and try to get it over with rather than get excited for my chance to do a minigame. I hate them.

And while they're generally not that hard, sometimes they do take a couple minutes of messing around (at least for me) and when you have to do that 80 times it adds up and wears on you

Oh yea, I agree with you to an extent. There were 2 or 3 in this game that just flat out annoyed me and slowed down momentum. They were all the electrician puzzles too. The orbs were all super easy though.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much only use teleporting. Some people can't just get over motion sickness. I don't want to take something to help play a video game either.

EDIT; Seen your follow up

VR legs is a real thing I think, when I played the DK1 back in the day I got motion sick from just moving my head around, when I got my Vive I also couldn't do smooth locomotion, played Winelands for 2 hours intervals and nowadays I can get with pretty much anything lol, but different people different strokes.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
.....But why? Teleportation is one of those things that feels so odd compared to moving in VR. Completely turned me off of the idea of ever being able to teleport as it's so jarring.

The primary form of locomotion I use is 1:1 roomscale traversal. "teleportation" is akin to scrolling the screen in zelda for me. For moment to moment interaction in VR, I actually walk up to things with my own two feet. Using artificial locomotion trains you to not do this. I see people playing with artificial locomotion, and they'll be a few steps away from a control panel or something, and instead of just actually walking forward IRL up to the control panel, like you'd do in real life, they just slide over by holding the stick forward. That's now how traversal feels in real life. Artificial locomotion feels way, way less immersive than roomscale + teleportation.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that maybe the 3:20-ish mark is a bit spoilery if you want zero story spoilers.

Still watching so I don't know if there's more included or not.

Also the orb puzzles are suuuuper easy. Especially when you realize you can rotate the orbs with your other hand. I'm surprised he didn't realize it after all that time. Edit: I see he kind of realizes it but still fumbles it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VR legs is a real thing I think

I ran a VR users group out of houston texas where every third thursday of the month we'd hold open house and let anybody come and try headsets at a well funded hackerspace. I demoed to hundreds of people over a several year period. VR legs are largely a myth. The vast, vast number of people I demoed to never were able to acclimate. I've seen private studies from VR firms that seem to indicate that something like 60% of people continously get sick from artificial locomotion even after prolonged exposure. It's a biological reaction, it's not something you can train away. No more than you can train yourself to not get goosebumps.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Teleporting is better than having motion sickness for the rest of your day
I don't get motion sickness thankfully.

The primary form of locomotion I use is 1:1 roomscale traversal. "teleportation" is akin to scrolling the screen in zelda for me. For moment to moment interaction in VR, I actually walk up to things with my own two feet. Using artificial locomotion trains you to not do this. I see people playing with artificial locomotion, and they'll be a few steps away from a control panel or something, and instead of just actually walking forward IRL up to the control panel, like you'd do in real life, they just slide over by holding the stick forward. That's now how traversal feels in real life. Artificial locomotion feels way, way less immersive than roomscale + teleportation.
I mean true but that's how I always do it. I usually try to stay stationary in VR when it comes to positioning. Like, gliding is a preferable alternative to teleporting for me personally.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ran a VR users group out of houston texas where every third thursday of the month we'd hold open house and let anybody come and try headsets at a well funded hackerspace. I demoed to hundreds of people over a several year period. VR legs are largely a myth. The vast, vast number of people I demoed to never were able to acclimate. I've seen private studies from VR firms that seem to indicate that something like 60% of people continously get sick from artificial locomotion even after prolonged exposure. It's a biological reaction, it's not something you can train away. No more than you can train yourself to not get goosebumps.
What I described is my prolong usage of VR, not a one-off and no motion sickness, it takes time but my brain did learn to cope.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I described is my prolong usage of VR, not a one-off and no motion sickness, it takes time but my brain did learn to cope.

I addressed specifically that.

"I've seen private studies from VR firms that seem to indicate that something like 60% of people continously get sick from artificial locomotion even after prolonged exposure."

Obviously some people can acclimate. I'm saying most, however, do not, unfortunately.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
VR legs is a real thing I think, when I played the DK1 back in the day I got motion sick from just moving my head around, when I got my Vive I also couldn't do smooth locomotion, played Winelands for 2 hours intervals and nowadays I can get with pretty much anything lol, but different people different strokes.

It's just different for folks. I get motion sick outside of video games. It's just something I have to deal with. Thankfully, a lot of devs include movement options.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify, I don't dislike artificial locomotion. Some games I prefer to use it, like Serious Sam VR, I exclusively use artificial locomotion because that game is built for traditional M&K gameplay (and thus, with a keyboard, you actually move like 30 mph in game haha).

I just very much dislike this notion that teleportation is for "beginners." It's not, and that sort of mentality actually turns away prospective players. If they hear that the only type of locomotion they can stomach is looked down upon, it gives the impression that VR isn't for them. And when you see people talk universally about "VR legs" it makes VR sound very, very uninviting to those who are getting sick. People don't want to make themselves sick over and over again in the hope that they might eventually be able to take in a video game.

The best solution is to provide a littany of options. Teleportation vs Artificial locomotion should be a preference, like inverted vs non inverted in conventional gaming.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to add that I agree with Krejlooc here. I don't get the slightest discomfort from smooth locomotion, but I prefer teleportation.

With teleportation, I'm essentially just moving my room-space and I walk around in that space. Real-life movement is by far the best movement for presence, but obviously you need something to overcome those physical limitations. In addition, I think smooth locomotion may even be a negative to presence. Something about gliding around doesn't feel natural. And while teleportation isn't natural either, it's more of an omission of something, and you can kind of fill in the gaps between two points. Half-Life: Alyx in particular greatly aids in this by making the world itself aware of your movement through the teleport, in addition to contextualized audio effects based on the circumstances of the teleport (clothing sounds, a heavy thump if you jump down onto metal, etc.).

I don't greatly dislike smooth locomotion though. For people with a small room space, you're not going to be moving (room-scale) that much anyway, and therefore smooth locomotion makes sense. Some games are also designed for you to be in movement constantly, and smooth locomotion makes sense here too.