• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How early do you want a game revealed?

• Tease it As early as 3+ years out.

Votes: 22 6.3%
  • 1-2 years out from reveal is acceptable

Votes: 115 32.8%
  • Game should come out within a year of reveal

Votes: 214 61.0%

• Total voters

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't like how gaming industry is so secret about everything.

Like, look at movies:

marvel1.jpg

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Imo up to 18 months (a year and a half) is fine.
The best is probably ~6 months.
For free to play games announcing and releasing on the same day is completely fine.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
As close as possible. Very early reveals crush my hype.

I feel like anything around 6 months is perfect, and I would never announce anything over a year before release.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Like, look at movies:

marvel1.jpg
This isn't really a fair comparison because making a movie is typically a vastly easier process to plan than making a video game.

It is very strange that a film that has already started shooting suffers severe delays (except for the covid, of course).

Jul 1, 2020
I was not a huge fan of Sony basically announcing an entire generation of AAA exclusive games at E3 early in the generation and then bringing them back out for the next 3-4 years until they left E3 entirely. It felt like I had already seen most of Ghost of Tsushima before it was even out.

I'd say announce them closer to release so newer and more representative builds can be shown.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Not as close to release as possible but nothing over 18 months before release either. Huge games are fun to hype and speculate about for a bit but 2-3 years is too fucking long.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Really depends on game and studio.

Look at Rocksteady. Just a few weeks ago, many, MANY people (not just here) were like "they haven't said a damn thing about what they're working on, the wait is unbearable, COME ON, SAY SOMETHING!!!". And they've acted this way for the past couple of years. Then it's revealed at DC Fandome that it's Suicide Squad, and it's gonna release in 2022, to what many, MANY people (not just here) reacted with "WTF 2 years from now, what the hell is this joke".

It's not possble to please everyone, I suppose.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think there's any reason every reveal should follow the same playbook. Any of those options is fine depending on the game , circumstances. We don't need everything homogenised.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game, if it's something like the next mainline Zelda, 1 year after the previous mainline is the right time frame to announce it, doesn't matter if it's 1 year or 4 years out, getting that audience (I'm a huge Zelda fan, so I'm definitely part of this group) hyped and building up word of mouth is only going to help you in the end.

Basically anything with a big built in audience should know of the next big project as early as you can hype it, though a teaser trailer rather than a logo is best (looking at you MP4).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This isn't really a fair comparison because making a movie is typically a vastly easier process to plan than making a video game.

It is very strange that a film that has already started shooting suffers severe delays (except for the covid, of course).

True, but sometimes the secret is so unnecessary. We knew about Fable, Demon's Souls and Suicide Squad, we know about Harry Potter and Perfect Dark... so what's the point

It works for unexpected things, like the new Hyrule Warriors.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
Personally, I think a game should be announced "up to" 3 times:
- a CGI trailer that relates to the intended game (the storyline, or some idea of the intended gameplay or whatever) when the project starts. This should be alongside a 'broad estimate' of timeframe given off-the-record to journalists. ('several years' out is fine).
- a 'pre-announcement' trailer showing in-game cinematics and a few clips of gameplay with 'work in progress' disclaimers everywhere.
- an actual announcement <=1 year of launch with a focus on gameplay, followed by a PR blitz.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I think with established series its good to acknowledge that you're working on a sequel rather than playing everything super secret. But a true announcement with title and details can be close to release.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
The longer you wait to announce, the higher chances an insider will grab their 5 minutes of fame and shit on your initial plans. I totally get when a dev / publisher puts the information out fast.

Players also need to chill and accept things take time but also can change.

Brentos

Oct 28, 2017

Like, look at movies:

marvel1.jpg

This is my takeaway as well - I don't mind knowing about movies several years before they release, and I generally feel the same way about games.

We knew about Cyberpunk nearly 8 years ago, and I've personally had no problem with the buildup to that game. Same thing goes with games like ES6, Starfield, Metroid Prime or even Elden Ring - I don't think knowing these games exist is a problem in the slightest... and in fact, I think it allows for some interesting discussion to occur, while waiting for the games to release.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Don't tell me about a game until it is ready to release. A week out seems fair game.

I miss when the hype cycle was maybe 2 or 3 screenshots in a single magazine to accompany a written preview. I wish we had a shorter, less info-dense hype cycle for games so that people were incentivized to actually play them before forming their opinions.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
I vote for whenever they feel like it, though my personal preference is 1-2 years. Its their call, and I can wait.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The opposite of SquareEnix. People are excited for a new Final Fantasy to be revealed today, even though they can't play it for 5+ years. Why? It's not like they're NOT going to make it, since it's their biggest franshise.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
True, but sometimes the secret is so unnecessary. We knew about Fable, Demon's Souls and Suicide Squad, we know about Harry Potter and Perfect Dark... so what's the point

It works for unexpected things, like the new Hyrule Warriors.
Because gamers live in a state of constant anxiety and as soon as there is a delay or a period of time without news they panic.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't really care, but for the sake of the developers not being inundated with questions, I would think releasing info as close as possible to the planned release date would be sensible.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Reveal as close to launch as marketing allows. Announcing shit that is years out with just a logo got old pretty fast.