• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
videocardz.com

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution technology may launch this spring - VideoCardz.com

AMD finally ready to launch its DLSS competitor? A new report puts a possible timeframe on the FidelityFX Super Resolution technology launch. It has been more than two years since NVIDIA introduced its Deep Learning Super Sampling technology. At first, it was mocked for how blurry the games...
It has been more than two years since NVIDIA introduced its Deep Learning Super Sampling technology. At first, it was mocked for how blurry the games looked liked with the DLSS enabled, but the second revision of the technology has significantly improved the quality. At this point, most users would rather use DLSS and sacrifice almost indistinguishable image quality in favor of a much higher framerate. Some games such as Cyberpunk 2077 are almost unplayable at 4K with ray tracing enabled, unless DLSS technology is enabled.

At Radeon RX 6000 series launch AMD made a promise it will launch its own version of the AI-powered super-resolution technology. The company has not provided any details whatsoever on how would it work or when exactly should we expect it to be available. AMD has only hinted it could be based on Microsoft DirectML technology, but at the same time AMD revealed that its DLSS competitor would launch as a part of the FidelityFX technology package. Thus, it is unclear if AMD has plans to stick to DirectML and push the gaming market into a single standard, or rather create their own implementation that will require collaboration from game studios. The slide from AMD does however suggest it might be the latter option:
FidelityFX-Super-Resolution.jpg

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution, Source: AMD

According to Prohardvare, AMD now plans to launch its big driver update somewhere in this spring. This means that at the earliest we might hear more about the FFSS in March. The report claims that the big driver update would provide an update on two of the resolution-based technologies: FidelityFX SR and Radeon Boost.

AMD Radeon Boost does not utilize machine learning algorithms to boost framerate. Instead, the technology dynamically changes the resolution during faster-paced gameplay. What this means is that when there is a lot of movement the resolution will be decreased and the performance will improve. This technology is relatively an easy way to increase framerate, but at the same time, it may lead to inconsistent performance during gameplay. Prohardvare claims that the driver will also provide an update on Radeon Boost that might solve this inconsistency issue.

An alternative was developed by Sapphire, which is called TriXX Boost. Unlike Radeon Boost, the resolution change does not happen dynamically. Instead, the application creates a custom resolution for the system and uses Radeon Image Sharpening technology to increase the quality of the image. Therefore it produces a more consistent performance increase but at the cost of lower image quality which is then artificially improved with sharpening filters, not AI algorithm.

If AMD is indeed planning a new driver this spring, then we shall be hearing more about this technology from AMD soon.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I'm using Trixx Boost right now, it's very effective and works with 21:9 resolutions.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I'm confused, what's the difference between Radeon Boost and the dynamic resolutions that a number of console games already use?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up.

Also, I wish they'd stop using the FidelityFX branding. Something about it makes me hurt inside :(

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I strongly doubt AMD will be able to come anywhere close to DLSS with their solution. DLSS didn't get good until it started using the tensor cores in RTX cards, and there's no tensor core equivalent in RDNA2.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I strongly doubt AMD will be able to come anywhere close to DLSS with their solution. DLSS didn't get good until it started using the tensor cores in RTX cards, and there's no tensor core equivalent in RDNA2.
I mean the technology will be different for sure and of course it won't be on par with DLSS at D1.

Anyway i really hope this will be available for PS5 and XSX.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope this supports Vulkan. DLSS has from the beginning and it's really annoying to see Radeon consistently tying itself to Direct3D over the decades (their OpenGL driver was also famously bad even in the ATi days).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles would be the ones to benefit the most of this tech, so hopefully it'll be available for PS5 and Series X

consoles already widely use dynamic resolutions on a per frame basis which this looks to be a variation of.

Having said that, I do wish this was more common on PC too - seems an obvious technique on top of all the other settings you have available to help smooth out performance bumps, and letting you use generally higher settings

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
consoles already widely use dynamic resolutions on a per frame basis which this looks to be a variation of.

Having said that, I do wish this was more common on PC too - seems an obvious technique on top of all the other settings you have available to help smooth out performance bumps, and letting you use generally higher settings
The dynamic resolution Radeon Boost isn't the DLSS competitor. There are two different resolution technologies in the OP.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The dynamic resolution Radeon Boost isn't the DLSS competitor. There are different two resolution technologies in the OP.

ah missed that, thanks. (Still think dynamic res should be way more used on PC)

Also I'm open to AMD showign what they have but as far as porting to consoles my faith is probably higher in both MS and Sony having better real world console options as they've been working with them with first and third parties for years and understand more about integration into console games etc.

I don't expect DLSS, but a solid evolution of temporal and other scaling solutions seems reasonable. Similar frametime budget as PS4/XB1 solutions would have a lot more horsepower to play with.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Didn't we already know it was probably coming out early this year? I don't have too high hopes for it, unless they have plans to make it work really well with a lot less ML performance than Nvidia has.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Any chance of this coming to PS5 and Series S/X?

And before console warriors say anything, the only way to have this as standard would be to have it available for both PS and Xbox, so I really hope it comes to consoles, and I really hope it comes to all next gen systems.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Currently 35 games that use DLSS 2.X according to Wikipedia.

FidelityFX is a terrible name hehe. Should just go AMD DLSS (I don't see a "DLSS" trademark/copyright on Nvidia pages).

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Both of those seem like things Nvidia could also support. I wouldn't be surprised if they launch something similar.

I'm confused, what's the difference between Radeon Boost and the dynamic resolutions that a number of console games already use?

Well the big difference appears to be the fact that this will be handled at the driver level and therefore adds support to games that don't already have it.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
AMD Radeon Boost does not utilize machine learning algorithms to boost framerate. Instead, the technology dynamically changes the resolution during faster-paced gameplay. What this means is that when there is a lot of movement the resolution will be decreased and the performance will improve. This technology is relatively an easy way to increase framerate, but at the same time, it may lead to inconsistent performance during gameplay. Prohardvare claims that the driver will also provide an update on Radeon Boost that might solve this inconsistency issue.
Haha! I remember a mod for TES4 Oblivion back in the day that did exactly this to help people achieve higher framerates. It was mostly scorned for the wildly variable framerate you see as a result, and for how blurry the world could look during movement and combat. I can't see AMD's version of it picking up much traction. Even DLSS was hated back when it made image quality noticeably worse.

Fingers crossed their AI-powered solution works much more like DLSS 2.0 though. It would be great to see more games able to make use of that tech, especially on consoles where hardware is even more limited.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be Important tech for consoles going forward. I know MS have Direct ML already underway what does Sony have? Will they build a native version from the Fidelity FX kit?

I do wonder if Cyberpunks next gen patch being so far out was for this very update so they could utilise machine learning ans get RT in there also.

So exciting the possibilities!

Azai

Jun 10, 2020

Yea. I doubt that without any dedicated hardware it will be anywhere near DLSS. Thats why I think consoles wont use it. Maybe Trix or Ready Boost.
So I guess before its even worth to consider using it one has to wait till the 7000 series.
But who knows how well they can make it work as a single standard.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be Important tech for consoles going forward. I know MS have Direct ML already underway what does Sony have? Will they build a native version from the Fidelity FX kit?

I do wonder if Cyberpunks next gen patch being so far out was for this very update so they could utilise machine learning ans get RT in there also.

So exciting the possibilities!

Reading the article it doesn't sound like either of the options is doing anything console games weren't already doing. It's just that doing it at a driver level will add the functionality to games that don't already have it.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Awesome news. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up.

Also, I wish they'd stop using the FidelityFX branding. Something about it makes me hurt inside :(
Just like DLSS means Deep Learning Super Sampling, it'll most likely be branded as FFSR, or FSR. Names are meh, you just tick the box to activate them without care.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt the PS5 or the XSX will use this. If there are mid-gen refreshes again (PS5 Pro, XSX Ulimate), then I could see this tech being a headline feature for both machine along with improved RT capabilities.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I doubt the PS5 or the XSX will use this. If there are mid-gen refreshes again (PS5 Pro, XSX Ulimate), then I could see this tech being a headline feature for both machine along with improved RT capabilities.
AMD made it a point to mention the upcoming tech would be cross platform, maybe anything RDNA2 is ready for this.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I don't fully get the tech behind this. Is this something that can be used for free without hardware upgrades? By "free" I mean without pulling extra hardware resources.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
NVidia has tensor cores for this though. Will AMD just run this in their standard compute cores? That would incur a larger performance penalty than DLSS I'd think.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
I guess after the fifth rebranding of a simple sharpening filter some people will believe it is similar to DLSS.....right?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Dynamic resolution scaling + sharpening doesn't sound like a DLSS competitor at all. I'm sure it'll be nice being a more accessible thing for developers to implement on the PC but at the same time it's been a thing in the console space for years.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both of those seem like things Nvidia could also support. I wouldn't be surprised if they launch something similar.
Super Resolution will be supported by all hardware.

I'm curious as to how it will be adopted. FFXSS will be open source, so that potentially can lead to a wider adoption. But DLSS is a known quantity with proven results, and allegedly, an upcoming supported system. Maybe we'll get both. I don't want a superior option to die off though (which might be DLSS)

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
"Rumour" "may" amd users will be lucky if it launch this year at all.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't see this doing anything more that what CAS already does without needing to use a lot of the available hardware and lowering performance. I guess that's what starting from a low resolution helps with, but I'll be surprised if they can make a 540p image look akin to a 1080p image with a healthy boost to framerate

Bluemaster77

Banned
Apr 2, 2020

Information about Microsoft's solution is readily available. Microsoft have been explicitly working on implementing ML in XSX and XSS.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This tech works with all hardware. The current consoles definitely can use this if the results are suffice

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

My understanding is that PC games rarely have dynamic resolution scaling because DirectX11 can't support it. You need DX12 or Vulkan if the game logic wants access to the current frametimes or whatever.

Oct 27, 2017
So FFSS is an artificial image reconstruction similar to how DLSS or any other advanced TAA but Radeon Boost is a different thing where it looks at how much the screen moves and uses that info to change the target resolution?

And they're both slated for an update this Spring? I guess FFSS will be using machine learning. Does anyone have metrics on how machine learning performance compares on Tensor cores vs regular GPU cores?