• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Won't be as good as DLSS but if it's open to all platforms adoption will be better. And of course they can improve it over time. Kinda like how FreeSync turned out.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
OMG they support Geforce too.
I cant replace 1660Super with everything over 1000usd right now, so happy to hear.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AMD_FSR_Example.jpg

And, to drop into op-ed mode, this is where AMD has me a bit worried. In our pre-briefing with AMD, the company did confirm that FSR is going to be a purely spatial upscaling technology; it will operate on a frame-by-frame basis, without taking into account motion data (motion vectors) from the game itself.

Epic doesn't have to. UE is open source. I'm sure someone can splice the shader code in there on their own, without Epic.
it's not open source, but I know what you mean. I think AMD will still put out a plug-on and save everyone the hassle

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not that impressed with the demonstration. :/

At least it will work with the gpu I already have. If you get even a 30% bump in performance only the quality mode, it will be a good option for older cards.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
While DLSS may (or may not) be better, the fact of the matter is FSR is what people need right now. If you already have a GPU that can support DLSS, great, but for those who were looking to upgrade and got blindsided by the current chip shortage, pricing on DLSS capable cards is obscene. FSR addresses this by being far more widely supported in terms of what gpus can run it.

I'd imagine that FSR is good-enough that devs would rather target the vastly larger potential userbase, especially given the current chip shortage cutting down people transitioning to DLSS capable devices.

This is amazing news. I just hope its as good as it sounds, it will help give much needed longevity to older cards

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, but i'll wait for less compressed source than a Youtube video before I pass judgement. The performance numbers look good, though. RIP native resolutions.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good as far as extending the lifespan of older cards. It does not seem to offer any real competition to DLSS though

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I just combed through the 4K YT video, and I have to say, for its flaws and issues at launch, DLSS 1.0 resolved and upscaled images to a sharper degree than this. So any conversation about "well, DLSS 1.0 was rough" misses the point. AMD is opting for a very different kind of upscaling system, and if their methodology was suited for the jaggies and detail-loss that DLSS can so neatly resolve, I believe we would've seen it today.

An open standard that can be exposed by a wide variety of hardware, without dedicated cores, was always gonna come at a cost. I'm happy to see it out there—especially as a wholly open part of OpenGPU that anyone can tinker with and improve in the open source community.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Doesnt really look that great, more options are better than less options but I cant really ever myself using this over just turning down settings based on what they showed. Being vendor agnostic and not needing any raytracing hardware is good but the end result from the press shots doesnt seem beyond what any random game with proper scaling can achieve just with already existing tools

would love to be proven wrong and for this to be a hit though

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the choice to not use motion data is weird, to say the least. TAA is already there, why not just improve on that like Epic has? we'll see when the games and source come out though

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Seems like a great option to have, its also supported on current and older GPU's.

Going by the 4k youtube comparison, this doesn't look like it will match the quality seen on DLSS, but I do feel both can coexist, and are needed. Not every game supports DLSS, so the more options we have the better.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly, I think we'll see games that use both. especially if they use ray tracing in some capacity

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
AMD_FSR_Example.jpg

it's not open source, but I know what you mean. I think AMD will still put out a plug-on and save everyone the hassle
This being spatial automatically puts the quality below TSR and DLSS. They positioned this as a solution that works everywhere and used slow moving comparisons because they know they don't have a perf or IQ adv.

If TSR wasn't locked behind UE, that would probably be the best overall solution.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'm not that impressed with the demonstration. :/

At least it will work with the gpu I already have. If you get even a 30% bump in performance only the quality mode, it will be a good option for older cards.

I agree with this your past point there. To be honest, Ultra Quality mode in these screens and from what I could glean out of the presentation looked quite good. Even getting a 56% performance boost is a great win, especially with Ray Tracing. I'm not all that impressed with Quality Mode, it looks a bit too blurry, but perhaps it will look fine on a 4k screen from a reasonable distance or in other games (I don't really notice the blurryness on my 65" from my couch without zooming in).

Hopefully they can improve the performance or image quality all around in future updates. It would also be cool to see iterations use Machine learning if it could improve the quality further. Microsoft was hinting that they were planning to use Machine learning back with FSR was originally announced.

It may not be DLSS 2.0, but I still think it's exciting.

fsrcxkuo.png

Yeah that looks terrible. Honestly it just looks like 1440p vs 1080p.

I agree that "Quality" mode doesn't look that great, at least not on that pillar. "Ultra Quality" mode seems good though, based on the other screens. It will be interesting to see comparisons to DLSS 2.0 or other image reconstruction techniques.

I should also say, that I did check out the Unreal 5 demo, and TSR definitely looked quite good there. I'd assume FSR and TSR are comparable, but I'm not aware of how they may differ.

Last edited:

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
Is this supposed to be a competitor to dlss?

Seems like yet another reconstruction method like checkerboarding. Doesn't seems to use intelligent predictions like dlss.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
AMD has always hyped up things versus reality, though most companies do. However AMD in the graphics department sometimes takes that to the next level. I'd wait until people have it in hand and honestly expect to be disappointed. It is the safe bet as most PC users have found over the past decade.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I mean, it probably is?

It shouldn't look it though right?

I mean, you zoomed in on that pretty hard. Reducing it to just "terrible" is undermining what this technology achieves. Would you even see that far out while gaming...

I only cropped in like that because that's the first thing I noticed, second being the leaves but the whole image is blurrier. Don't get me wrong though I want FSR to succeed greatly but right now those previews don't look good. Hopefully these are just pre-release bugs and it's improved before launch.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope it kicks ass.

Not only to light a fire under Nvidia and keep them on their toes, but because every time I see an AMD-sponsored game I am disappointed because I know it won't have DLSS.