• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
"I think fighting games are hard to get into, mainly because of complex inputs. I don't wanna fight the controls"

"Hey, here's this fighting game that has one-button specials and is pretty simple in the grand scheme of things that you can use to learn fundamentals with. You wanna play?"

"No."

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I'm saying that fighting games can have avenues to having fun without necessarily mastering them. Bonus modes where you just play the game are a bridge to that.

When I was a wee lad I played Soul Calibur II for dozens of hours because it had an expansive RPG side story. I played Smash Melee for hundreds of hours because it had three main single player modes, an archive of Nintendo history, and fun little special modes.
What you are basically asking is for side content. Which i agree, if you want casual public to stay you do that, that was the first post i made in this thread. Its just that those things will not make them get better, it will be just a way to keep them playing the game, which is what the devs want, but this isnt what this discussion is about i thought. It is about how you make them stick and learn how to play properly on vs modes. And you cant do that without playing other players and losing. Thats the entire point. This is why this thread goes nowhere, because we cant decide on what we want.

Do you want the players to just keep playing the game in whatever form possible?Then yeah, do that. Fill it with side content and extra modes and whatever.
Do you want them to actually learn the game however? Then you have to play other people and lose. No other way. Bonus modes wont matter a single cent on moving towards that goal. It doesnt matter if you learn how to do a super special at any time, you wont be able to do it in a real match, because the opponent wont let you. Not even with one button super specials.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Dark Souls 1 has...

1 - A very robust single-player mode with constant progression.
2 - A low skill execution level (uses all buttons, but no need to do button combos or motions more complicated than a single direction) - Easy to learn, hard to master.
3 - Huge variety in possible player builds.
4 - Relatively slow-paced but high impact combat.
5 - Tons of secrets to discover and share among other players.
6 - The ability to help other players instead of just PvP.

As far as the skill execution debate goes, I feel like people are dismissing concerns as "People just to win all the time" when what new players want is to be able to "Just focus on playing the game and having fun." I can play someone who's better at me at Smash Bros and have fun because I'm playing Smash Bros, not fighting the controls, but playing something like P4U is far more stressful, because I can't focus on just playing the game; I also have to worry that I'm going to mess up my inputs. And from what I understand, P4U is considered one of the easier fighting games.

I have a puzzle game that's rather fun on the iPad, but very stressful on a phone because the spaces are so small that unless you really concentrate, it's easy to press the wrong space and lose a life. When controls cause stress, it drastically changes the vibe of a game. Saying that new players just need to practice and get better so that the controls are no longer stressful is like telling people that Final Fantasy XIII gets good after you've played it for 30 hours. These are meant to be recreational and if you want your game to be fun to new players then they should be able to get better at the game while playing it and having fun.

Not every game needs to be for everyone, so it's perfectly fine to make games that are just for veteran fans of the genre, but don't be surprised if new players find such games unfun and dismissing such players as losers who just want to be handed wins doesn't give the FGC a good look.
But like you don't need to worry about messed up inputs in most fighting games because what's gonna happen if you mess up an input? The CPU is an idiot half the time and isn't going to do anything about that.

Now if you're fighting a human opponent then yeah a messed up input might get you punished but that exact same thing happens in Smash Bros. Don't perform an F-tilt on the fly and your opponent may punish you with a grab, air dodge in the wrong direction and you may, mis-time your laser lock with Falco and you will give your opponent room to dodge into you and attack you while your in the middle of your next animation. The only difference is that you are probably not playing Smash Bros with people who will consistently punish you for those things.

And that's the crux of all this: Street Fighter II has 100% combos, incredibly tight links, fireball motions, chicken wing motions and 360 motions......and has gone on to sell millions of copies and become one of the most beloved video games ever. Ever try and do a 360 on a SNES pad? Say goodbye to your thumbs!

Inputs have only gotten easier since Street Fighter II so the problem simply can't be inputs. The only thing that really changed is that people got better at fighting games and now IT'S VERY EASY TO RECOGNIZE WHEN YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME POORLY . Online modes do a very good job at exposing how bad you are at a game which is what leads people to think that if they mess up inputs or can't do combos then that means they are playing the game wrong. Smash Bros has terrible online on account of it being on a Nintendo console so the most exposure you're going to get in Smash Bros is against your clueless friends who are at your skill level. ] If you were consistently playing against people who were dash grabbing you out of every whiffed move that you made or comboing you off the side of the stage because you keep DI'in in the wrong direction then I imagine you would be changing your tone about what do and don't need to do in order to have fun.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that really changed is that people got better at fighting games and now IT'S VERY EASY TO RECOGNIZE WHEN YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME POORLY . Online modes do a very good job at exposing how bad you are at a game which is what leads people to think that if they mess up inputs or can't do combos then that means they are playing the game wrong. Smash Bros has terrible online on account of it being on a Nintendo console so the most exposure you're going to get in Smash Bros is against your clueless friends who are at your skill level. ]
I have been saying this exact thing, for years.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you playing SoulCalibur VI?

Yeah and I mostly just messed around with the single player content before I stopped since I bought it while umming and erring on PS+. If I were more dedicated to fighters I'd definitely be playing SCVI more since that series was my intro to fighters.

Now where the fuck is Hwang. We have another Mitsurugi for Season 2 but my boi is nowhere to be seen.

What you are basically asking is for side content. Which i agree, if you want casual public to stay you do that, that was the first post i made in this thread. Its just that those things will not make them get better, it will be just a way to keep them playing the game, which is what the devs want, but this isnt what this discussion is about i thought. It is about how you make them stick and learn how to play properly on vs modes. And you cant do that without playing other players and losing. Thats the entire point. This is why this thread goes nowhere, because we cant decide on what we want.

Do you want the players to just keep playing the game in whatever form possible?Then yeah, do that. Fill it with side content and extra modes and whatever.
Do you want them to actually learn the game however? Then you have to play other people and lose. No other way. Bonus modes wont matter a single cent on moving towards that goal. It doesnt matter if you learn how to do a super special at any time, you wont be able to do it in a real match, because the opponent wont let you. Not even with one button super specials.

It's okay that they don't get better, I guess is what I'm trying to say. I don't think casual players who just want to mess around really have to stick with the game forever, and just doing Story, Survival, Arcade and all that junk every once in a while is still a valid route for engaging casual players without snubbing hardcore ones who just want to go online all the time.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I was way into Starcraft 2, and I don't remember that much pushback against the loosened dexterity requirements at all. Discussion about it for sure, but I wouldn't say pushback. I think people did find it going a bit too far when Protoss balls of units were the most efficient micro, but that was solved by buffing and designing more units with positioning requirements.

It probably helped that the huge boost to popularity of the franchise outside of korea helped those pro's careers, and I think everyone knew that'd probably not be as much the case if not for simplifying the execution.
There wasn't a *ton* of pushback, but I remember the team liquid forums back in the days having those huge threads about MBS, changing stutter step mechanics, army control size, etc etc - and then the game actually, you know, came out and any semblance of opposition, such as it was, died down real quick.

Still, I can't think of any other genre where current players are in such opposition (right or wrong) to lowering of dexterity requirements/execution barriers for newcomers; even SC2, as you said, wasn't *really* there and I can't think of anything even remotely close otherwise. Pushback against streamlining mechanics, sure, but I've not seen pushback against streamlining controls on their own merits.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
It's okay that they don't get better, I guess is what I'm trying to say. I don't think casual players who just want to mess around really have to stick with the game forever, and just doing Story, Survival, Arcade and all that junk every once in a while is still a valid route for engaging casual players without snubbing hardcore ones who just want to go online all the time.
Then we can agree that the key is not changing the mechanics, but filling the game with more content for people that arent that engaged?

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
There are a zillion complex games that exist today, but somehow fighters being complex at all make them impossible to get into

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I will forever cop to being a scrub to is that for the life of me despite playing Tekken off and on since 1 and being a(n admittedly bad) Mishima player I still can't pull off EWGF with any fucking consistency. Fuck that input.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then we can agree that the key is not changing the mechanics, but filling the game with more content for people that arent that engaged?

Yeah I thought I was saying that since the start. The problem with engaging people in fighting games is that there needs to be a reason for someone who doesn't want to be bodied online to play it.

I think inputs being simplified doesn't hurt anything, I'm perfectly happy with MvCI replacing DPs as an example, but at the end of the day that's not the real problem.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Yeah I thought I was saying that since the start. The problem with engaging people in fighting games is that there needs to be a reason for someone who doesn't want to be bodied online to play it.

I think inputs being simplified doesn't hurt anything, I'm perfectly happy with MvCI replacing DPs as an example, but at the end of the day that's not the real problem.
See, the problem is, most people dont admit this like you just did. They really, really belive the problem is only the inputs, or the links, or the combos. This is why these discussions are always dumb, because the people complaining dont really know what they want.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People don't want fighters with easy inputs; they want Street Fighter with easy inputs.

It's almost like characters and brand history matter a lot to people.

I honestly can't say that I follow this really well. It's hard to imagine that you fell in love with SF2 back in 1991 despite not being able to do quarter circle and z inputs and only now are you lamenting that this has been holding you back the whole time and you'd like this to be simplified.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
BlazBlue is a complicated fighting game. Yet, it's the one that got me into the genre - it's the one that stuck. A lot of folks first "fighting game" is Smash. It's plenty complicated at higher levels too. Why?

It's because they have singleplayer content. BlazBlue has its story, Abyss mode, plenty of missions, along with the usual arcade/time attack/score attack. Smash has stuff like classic and adventure mode, Melee had a deep mission mode, Brawl had Subspace Emissary, SSBU has World of Light... and so on.

It doesn't matter if a game is complicated, if it's fun people will play it - but new players need things to do while they learn that isn't just labbing. Labbing is important, but you don't really start doing it until you already know you like a game, and have a general idea of how to get better.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Do people actually think that being able to do all special moves easily, automatically makes them good at the game? Like inputs is the only thing holding them back?

Yes, still looking forward to GBVS, give me that one button special baby!

You know what the funny thing is though? I still end up doing motion inputs for QCF and QCB for certain specials because I wanted to get pass the cooldown limit. But the special button helps for moves that I can't reliably do.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, the problem is, most people dont admit this like you just did. They really, really belive the problem is only the inputs, or the links, or the combos. This is why these discussions are always dumb, because the people complaining dont really know what they want.

If someone is coming into this discussion with "the only reason I can't beat Justin Wong is because I'm bad a DP inputs" then yeah, that's fine to dismiss them because they're talking crazypants, but I think complex inputs can be a legitimate barrier to entry for some people and it's valid that they feel that.

I also feel that the inputs discussion has cannibalized a lot of the discourse surrounding why people can't get into fighters or don't see the value in doing so to begin with.

I honestly can't say that I follow this really well. It's hard to imagine that you fell in love with SF2 back in 1991 despite not being able to do quarter circle and z inputs and only now are you lamenting that this has been holding you back the whole time and you'd like this to be simplified.

I think they're onto something though in regards to liking the content around the mechanics of a fighter. As an example Marvel Infinite is, infamously, a game with good mechanics and not good everything else.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're onto something though in regards to liking the content around the mechanics of a fighter. As an example Marvel Infinite is, infamously, a game with good mechanics and not good everything else.

Sure. Content is important. Presentation is important. This is not a revelation. But what I mean here is that it's kind of head-scratching if the rebuttal to "Play Fantasy Strike" is "I don't care about Fantasy Strike, I care about Street Fighter" while also arguing that games like Street Fighter need simpler inputs when -- assuming you have nostalgia for Street Fighter -- you've always had to deal with this stuff.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Get over it. All this "reduce the frustration" talk is very tiring. Fighting games are for those who can handle the frustration of being defeat in 1v1 battles. Just leave it be.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Ugh this thread and the others like it lately are dragging me back into fighting games, I thought I was finally out (thanks for bringing me back guys). I didnt pay for playstation plus the last two years cause I didnt really feel like I used it enough to justify it. Then when terry came to smash sure he was cool and all, but it mostly just made me think to myself I wish I was playing some kof right now. Ive missed the genre but I think I'm going to cave in and just pay for online play again. What current 2d fighters have healthy player bases?

I would love to play kof 14, but since its old and just the fact that its kof I'm sure the onine is a ghost town(Its once again time to hope the new kof will finally be the one that gets popular). I Do have DBZ, but I only bought it to play with a friend who was interested in it, and I never really was that into it so once they dropped the game so did I (kinda funny that a to see some of my thoughts about the game before launch are now what people criticize it for). I was considering the new samurai shodown, but it doesnt seem to be on sale during black friday so I might just have to eat the full price, Is the netcode acceptable? I'm sure MK is popular, but I've never really been a fan of the dial a combo system they have. I wouldnt mind upgrading to a new Guilty gear, but with the new game coming next year I may as well wait.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh this thread and the others like it lately are dragging me back into fighting games, I thought I was finally out (thanks for bringing me back guys). I didnt pay for playstation plus the last two years cause I didnt really feel like I used it enough to justify it. Then when terry came to smash sure he was cool and all, but it mostly just made me think to myself I wish I was playing some kof right now. Ive missed the genre but I think I'm going to cave in and just pay for online play again. What current 2d fighters have healthy player bases?

I would love to play kof 14, but since its old and just the fact that its kof I'm sure the onine is a ghost town(Its once again time to hope the new kof will finally be the one that gets popular). I Do have DBZ, but I only bought it to play with a friend who was interested in it, and I never really was that into it (kinda funny that a to see some of my thoughts about the game before launch are now what people criticize it for). I was considering the new samurai shodown, but it doesnt seem to be on sale during black friday. I'm sure MK is popular, but I've never really been a fan of the dial a combo system they have. I wouldnt mind upgrading to a new Guilty gear, but with the new game coming next year I may as well wait.
SamSho is dead. Guilty Gear is late next year. You might as well either wait for Granblue early 2020, or just play Street Fighter V.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
SamSho is dead. Guilty Gear is late next year. You might as well either wait for Granblue early 2020, or just play Street Fighter V.
Really? I mean I know its a SNK game but wow thats fast for it to die out so soon. Yeah I still Have sf5 and expected it to still be kicking. I might just have to wait til next year then.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
If someone is coming into this discussion with "the only reason I can't beat Justin Wong is because I'm bad a DP inputs" then yeah, that's fine to dismiss them because they're talking crazypants, but I think complex inputs can be a legitimate barrier to entry for some people and it's valid that they feel that.

I also feel that the inputs discussion has cannibalized a lot of the discourse surrounding why people can't get into fighters or don't see the value in doing so to begin with.
I do agree that is a valid feeling to feel overwhelmed, but at the same time, i dont see most of those people complaining supporting the more simple fighting games that do exist and have those simplified inputs they want. Why not promote the series that do the things you like instead of come and only complain about how the others are' t cathering to you.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Granblue Fantasy needs to come out already. The threads that game will spawn will be glorious.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like e-sports has negatively affected the casual mindset surrounding fighting games. I think people watch pros play and automatically assume everyone has to play at that level from the moment you start the game.

The genre being too hard to get onto execution wise is literally something I don't remember hearing until this generation. All those years ago, I played X-Men vs Street Fighter at the local Pizza Hut with 6-10 year olds that had a solid grasp of the game's mechanics.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I know that in some ways scrubs hate RNG like Faust even more than pros because its something they don't think they should learn to play around, but sometimes I wonder if they'd enjoy a game more with that slight bit of RNG to give them a helping of false confidence boosts and easy excuses.

A game like that might not quite be the best for Evo, but I could see it being the one way a fighting game breaks into that evergreen territory of topping twitch charts at all hours. Even as everyone complains about the RNG and how much better the game would be without it. At least that's been my experience with Hearthstone and how it seems to get less popular as it gets less random.

Smash with items and stage hazards goes too far though, because it makes every match revolve around them in a not competitively fun way.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
This conversation comes up often, and the problem really isn't the games. I'm not gonna play a Moba no matter what the mechanics are. I have no interest. I like fighting games, a lot. People in general just don't find fighting games rewarding enough to invest in them. Tutorials don't work because the people actually using them don't even need them. Easier games don't work because it just means losing is less interesting. You can't force it, at all.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
I got my dad to learn to play Magic the Gathering, and that takes a lot more explanation than showing someone how to do a fireball motion.
I feel like the difference in that is that MTG has turns and is not reaction based.
It's easier to show someone how a turn works, and what each card does and get them competent in MTG than it is to get someone to be competent in a game like SF, where most people will default to button mashing.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
It's almost like the characters and content sell more than the direct mechanics...while the mechanics will keep existing players playing longer.
I am surprised to see you here, Maximillion, but I think this quote holds true. If Dragon Ball FighterZ wasn't based off of Dragon Ball, it wouldn't have a quarter of the playerbase it has right now. I think one big way is to get a franchise that people would like and stick onto for a long time. 2D Final Fantasy fighter could work if they add the single player RPG mechanics from Dissida.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Fun thread. The part where we compare the difficulty of competitive fighting games to PVE action games was borderline insanity, but entertaining nonetheless.

Some posters already said it, but on top of a solid netcode, the genre just needs plenty of casual content besides the competitive core, which will attract a small percentage of the newbies strong enough mentally.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
This thread actually gets me thinking: would folks want to see more complicated motions in other genres?

For instance, I've long dreamed of a zombie game where you'd need to do a SNK pretzel to reload - reloading isn't a quick or simply process in the real world at all, and I think the pressure of trying to execute that in the face of an onrushing horde could be fun.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
"I think fighting games are hard to get into, mainly because of complex inputs. I don't wanna fight the controls"

"Hey, here's this fighting game that has one-button specials and is pretty simple in the grand scheme of things that you can use to learn fundamentals with. You wanna play?"

"No."
TRUTH.

Man when that LOL fighter comes out and it's mechanically Rising Thunder 2.0, people are still going to be making these excuses.

Slice Dice and Rice, maybe?
Yo slice dice and rice is legit.

I want everyone on the face of the planet to play GBVS. EVERYONE SINGLE ONE. Mostly because I like how it plays and I want more people to play with.

I keep going back and watching my VODs from the beta.

Soon...hopefully. Xseed give me some info.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
You say this like it's a fact for everyone. I'm generally a fairly competent player in most games when I try, and QCF are a nightmare for me to do consistently on a joypad. For me it was solved by getting a fightstick. However most people in a similar situation are not gonna go out and spend 100+ bucks on a piece of gaming peripheral for a game if they're already feeling frustrated with it
I brought this up in the inputs thread Jaded Alyx did, I feel like if someone can't do QCF on pad that they really must just be doing something wrong, like I have a hard time wrapping my head around that, but at the same time, switching to stick really did help with my consistency. If people who struggle with inputs read this and know someone with an arcade stick, or have some way of trying one, you really should try one. I've noticed a tendency in convos about them, mainly on reddit, where people tend to say now to not worry/bother with them at all because any controller is fine, and while the latter part of that is true I think it's misguided advice. You certainly don't need one, and maybe others' experiences would be different and it would actually be worse for them, that's fair too. But they for sure should at least be tried.

They also help with motivation, because they're a lot of fun to use, and playing a game means you get to use your fun toy lol
i want to say there was an indie spiritual successor to BB that was released, but for the life of me i can't remember it

maybe i imagined it

Was it this?
I feel like e-sports has negatively affected the casual mindset surrounding fighting games. I think people watch pros play and automatically assume everyone has to play at that level from the moment you start the game.

The genre being too hard to get onto execution wise is literally something I don't remember hearing until this generation. All those years ago, I played X-Men vs Street Fighter at the local Pizza Hut with 6-10 year olds that had a solid grasp of the game's mechanics.
This makes a lot of sense to me. People say that fighting games are hard to break into, but I feel like that's only the case if you measure your success by how close you are to playing on the level of those pros, or by how much you win (or if you play a low pop game with only killers left lol). That doesn't even need to be the endgoal. You can play fighting games really casually, while still being a step above button mashing, and have a lot of fun.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
real talk how is it that in the year 2019, people still cant roll their control inputs from down to forward in a smooth, circle like motion and then press a button slightly after. thats 4 moves.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I want everyone on the face of the planet to play GBVS. EVERYONE SINGLE ONE. Mostly because I like how it plays and I want more people to play with.
It seems a bit slow for my tastes honestly. I also don't really like the look of most of the characters. If there's another beta I'll try it out.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
real talk how is it that in the year 2019, people still cant roll their control inputs from down to forward in a smooth, circle like motion and then press a button slightly after. thats 4 moves.

Like, it was eye-opening in the last inputs thread where people thought a quarter circle forward motion meant you press down, then release, then down/forward, and release, then forward and release, instead of rolling from down to forward.

Some people had some real, "oh pheonix DOWN" moments there. I can see how that could be confusing, which is why numerical notation is superior.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Knowing inputs doesn't even matter if you don't understand neutral. Which 98% of the fighting game buying public does not.

Execution is a barrier to entry, but losing is really why people quit playing online.

This is a good point that gets lost in the shuffle a lot. You can play and enjoy fighting games (and get wins!) without using a single special move or combo.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't find the image, but I remember a Tekken meme showing beginners learning the game backwards. First, flashy combos, and then everything else, perhaps.