• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
wHsgyna.png

From the article:

An unsettling video that shows police officers in Quebec yanking a Black man out of a vehicle by his hair and then striking him on the head has gone viral.

It's yet another concerning instance of recent police use of force in Canada.

On Facebook, the encounter, which took place in Laval and within an hour of the killing by police of George Floyd on May 25, is split into two separate, minute-long videos, both in French. In the first, an officer leans over the passenger side window to confront the Black man, who is in his 20s.

The officer asks the passenger to exit the vehicle, so the passenger asks, "Why?"

"For obstruction and a police investigation," the officer says.
A short back-and-forth ensues, with the passenger visibly perplexed. The officer refuses to offer details and then forcefully grabs the man's dreadlocks and pulls him out of the car.

The second video shows two police officers standing over the man—who is now contorted, face down on the ground—as they detain him, with the first officer hitting the man on the head at one point.

Laval police did not respond to VICE requests for comment by the time of publication. But the force told CBC it does not have a "racial-profiling problem."

Police spokesperson Sgt. Geneviève Major said the police stopped the car for erratic driving and asked the man to exit the vehicle because they suspected he had drugs inside.

Earlier this week, Quebec premier Francois Legault faced backlash for saying aid the province doesn't have a problem with systemic racism either.

"I don't see a system, an organized system, in the police community or anywhere," Legault said, attributing racism to a small group of people.

The man in the video, Samuel, told CBC he can't stop thinking about the encounter.

"All I wanted to know is, why did I have to come out of the car," he said. "What's going to happen if I get out of the car? What are they going to do to me? Am I going to put my hands behind my back, get handcuffed and get killed or something?"

Several studies in the U.S. and Canada show Black (and Indigenous) people are more likely to be stopped by police for drug-related reasons than white people.

Fuck Legault and good god, do we have far more degenerates in power than I had hoped.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

As a Canadian, I know our history is replete its own set of issues but I was really hoping that we had, as a collective, given our lack of gun culture and social safety nets, would have produced a less degenerate filled police force at large.

And then I learned of the Starlight Tours last night....

And in the morning I saw this post on Reddit, which accompanied the VICE post (accuracy unverified):

You know what I found funny when I started looking into the police in Canada? There is no official database for people killed by police and their race. Canadian police don't track it. CBC News did an investigation, and found that across the board Black people are killed at a higher rate than whites. In Toronto its by a factor of 20. In other places it's only 3 times as likely. There are fewer killings overall, but this is not a problem unique to the United States.

And theses ones:

I'm pretty sure in the 1990s all police race-based stats stopped after the Black Action Defence Committee (Canadian version of BLM back then that won the fight for independent investigation of serious injury at the hands of police) argued to stop collection. They only started collecting again in 2018.

In Toronto, from the 70s onwards, there have been calls to collect race based police stats. Those calls were opposed by minority groups who felt the stats would be abused, or misused or that the data would just be unflattering (on the surface, at least)

My recollection is they started collecting them, then scrapped them a few years later (likely for the reasons you state).

Good stats are important. I don't blame minority groups for not trusting police on his, but I think it would have been if they focused their efforts in making the stat collection and reporting right.

I doubt it would have changed anything though.

These highlight the unforeseen consequences of non-foolproof good intentions.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had a huge argument with my mom yesterday. She is totally for the protest in the U.S. but she doesn't understand why people are protesting in Canada, and I kept having to tell her that this shit happens here. Hopefully this somehow convinces her.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wow!

Is Canada known for corrupt police? I heard Toronto has some problems. I always figured they were much better than the US.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Major said Laval police stopped the car for erratic driving, and the officers told Samuel multiple times to get out of the car because they suspected drugs were inside before the video began.
Major said the officers were questioned by supervisors after the video went viral. The police service found they had been justified in their use of force, and in pulling over and searching the three men, she said.
Officers called the canine unit, and all three occupants of the vehicle were searched. No drugs were found.
Arsenault believes the search was illegal and that police did not have a sufficient motive to order anyone out of the car.
The men were ticketed for failing to abide by physical-distancing directives, and Samuel could face charges — including obstruction of justice.
The driver of the car says he took video police erased, but Major said there was no mention in the police report of the officers seizing cellphones and that it was a "serious allegation" he should make in an official complaint.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Wow!

Is Canada known for corrupt police? I heard Toronto has some problems. I always figured they were much better than the US.

Better than the US is an extremely low bar. When you've got incidents where cops would drive an Indigenous person to the middle of nowhere in the cold of winter, then leave them there to walk back to town (which would result in their death), you know yoI've got a special breed of murderous dipshits with badges here.

www.google.co.uk

New light on Saskatoon's 'starlight tours' - Macleans.ca

Years after the 'starlight tours,' an Indigenous victim has left the province for good.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow!

Like others have said ACAB. Ours just tend to stay out of the international spotlight so people from other countries tend to think ours are better than the ones in the US.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
"Met tes mains dans le dos!" he screams as he's holding his hand on the ground.

Wow!

Better than the US doesn't mean anyone is good. It just means not as bad. Canadian Police has a looooot of issues too. Especially regarding how they treat first nations people. It's the same kind of problem everywhere, a lot of the problem police has is that the agents have access to a lot of lethal power and they do not react well when their ego is bruised.

So they are extremely volatile whenever they "feel threatened", and "feeling threatened" is an extremely low threshold for them. And just like american cops, they just so happen to feel a lot more THREATENED whenever they are confronted with black people ... or indigenous folks. And as we see in this particular video, they get pissed off because the guy knows his rights and asks why he's being detained. They just refuse to answer. And then they get pissy because he somehow doesn't respect their AUTORITAAAAAH.

You can see it in the way they talk, and they move. It's just a power trip. It's like that everywhere.