• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Nothing that new but I learned some details I hadn't know about before. A pretty good summary overall anyway so thought worth sharing. Just over 5 years since the incident and still quite a mystery.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Still can't believe CNN actually entertained the idea of a black hole to fill up some airtime.

Eta- finished watching it. A little disappointing they roll with the silly conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I have watched this video a couple of days ago and what mind boggles me is the altitude changes of the plane after they take a sharp turn to the left between Malaysia and Thailand. As far as I know, those are physically impossible.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Great vid. Thanks.
I have watched this video a couple of days ago and what mind boggles me is the altitude changes of the plane after they take a sharp turn to the left between Malaysia and Thailand. As far as I know, those are physically impossible.
Yes, they are. It's junk info that wasn't used.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah there's no way structurally the plane holds during a 50,000ft drop in one minute lol

2JpHUAY.png

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
It's interesting that aviation is the only industry where if a disaster happens, the whole industry shuts down until it's fixed.

(The exception being this case I guess due to lack of any conclusive evidence, and possibly the plane that got shot out of the sky near new jersey)

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for posting this. I followed Flight 370 very closely for a couple of years, but as it faded from the news I wasn't aware of the more recent reports.

The Las Vegas mass shooter showed that sometimes these things can seemingly come from out of nowhere to outside observers. If I were to guess, it feels like it was a suicide mission by the main pilot. It's hard to ignore that he had almost an identical flight path on his home simulation as the satellite pings that led to the same search area. That seems like the simplest and most likely explanation. No black hole theories needed.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
CNN's milking of this story was pretty distasteful. Wolf Blitzer in his special MH370 studio etc.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Don Lemon was a laughing stock because of this. It's not CNN. It's him being completely out of his depth.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
LMOA at her response..." well a small black hole would suck in our entire universe so we know it's not that". Hahahahaha omg I can't believe this was a real segment.

This is equally if not alot dumber.
There are millions if not billions or trillions of Black Holes....none of them have sucked the entire universe....so why would a small one suck up the entire universe.

But seriously:
CNN US cant be a serious news network anymore can it.
I find it odd that CNN International isnt ridiculed as much as CNN US, do they just purposefully air some of the shit they know is dumb to the US audience then never let the international market see it?

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
There are millions if not billions or trillions of Black Holes....none of them have sucked the entire universe....so why would a small one suck up the entire universe.

But seriously:
CNN US cant be a serious news network anymore can it.
I find it odd that CNN International isnt ridiculed as much as CNN US, do they just purposefully air some of the shit they know is dumb to the US audience then never let the international market see it?
International probably have it easier because you can report on such a wide variety of stories from everywhere. If it's 24/7 US station and their focusing on a single major story, you end up killing time with black hole theories.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
International probably have it easier because you can report on such a wide variety of stories from everywhere. If it's 24/7 US station and their focusing on a single major story, you end up killing time with black hole theories.

Why dont they show the US audience some of the international stuff.
Cuz they clearly know they are showing a bunch of dumb shit.
AndMH370 is an international story....just cut that segment out and show some other international news.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I thought this was put together very well, which is a surprise coming from YouTube.

I'd be interesting to see if they ever resume the search near Christmas Island like he suggested near the end. But maybe that was ruled out at the time. Who knows.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

Given the ridiculousness of the "theory", probably worth giving her the benefit of the doubt when responding on the spot, especially since she made the point to distinguish a "small black hole". She likely either misspoke rather than saying "planet", or meant our figurative universe of "everything we know/civilization"

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was put together very well, which is a surprise coming from YouTube.

I'd be interesting to see if they ever resume the search near Christmas Island like he suggested near the end. But maybe that was ruled out at the time. Who knows.
'never say never' but I wonder what the odds are of them ever finding the recorders are given how deep some parts of the indian ocean are. I guess if some of the plane is intact at the bottom then it's a bit more likely but if it's just rogue recorders then maybe no.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
If it wasn't intentional pilot suicide, it was decompression that led to everyone on board falling unconscious. That of course doesn't explain the transponder being deactivated, which is incredibly hard to do by accident. So intentional pilot sabotage seems to be the most likely occurrence, but you would think if the intention was a dramatic murder suicide by a pilot, that he would have put the plane into a nosedive as soon as he had control, yet that didn't happen. The plane just cruised for thousands of miles off course before running out of fuel and crashing.

It remains a very strange story, in any case.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If it wasn't intentional pilot suicide, it was decompression that led to everyone on board falling unconscious. That of course doesn't explain the transponder being deactivated, which is incredibly hard to do by accident. So intentional pilot sabotage seems to be the most likely occurrence, but you would think if the intention was a dramatic murder suicide by a pilot, that he would have put the plane into a nosedive as soon as he had control, yet that didn't happen. The plane just cruised for thousands of miles off course before running out of fuel and crashing.

It remains a very strange story, in any case.
The thing I don't get about the hypoxia theory is when it was supposed to have occurred. The handful of turns the plane made needed some input.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that aviation is the only industry where if a disaster happens, the whole industry shuts down until it's fixed.

(The exception being this case I guess due to lack of any conclusive evidence, and possibly the plane that got shot out of the sky near new jersey)

Does it? I can't think of a single time that the aviation industry, as a whole, shut down after a disaster? The only time in my lifetime where air traffic was halted was in the first couple days after 9/11/2001. Even with the most recent crash with that specific 737 jet from Boeing, the aviation industry has gone on unaltered... WIth the exception of Boeing needing to ground that specific line up new jets.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
The thing I don't get about the hypoxia theory is when it was supposed to have occurred. The handful of turns the plane made needed some input.

Judging by the video in the OP (and assuming the video creator is well informed), it had to have happened after the most dramatic turns, like the first one that deviated the plane completely off course. I have to admit I do find the coincidence of the flight path on the captains flight simulator to be very odd, as was the plane making a close approach near his Island of birth.

Another theory I think is worth exploring is the hijacking. That graph the video displays with the erratic change in altitude that the authorities deemed to be unreliable may not be at all, and might be signs of a struggle over control of the plane in the cockpit. It's pretty farfetched I know, as a commercial airliner getting caught in such a huge nosedive then somehow pulling out of it with only a few thousand feet to spare is a pretty crazy thought.

In any case, I think the MH370 story is a decent enough indicator that some other form of transponder that can't be influenced by anyone on board should be considered for future planes. Like some sort of satellite tuned GPS transponder that can give readouts on a planes location at all times regardless of whether the pilot controlled transponder is active or not.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Does it? I can't think of a single time that the aviation industry, as a whole, shut down after a disaster? The only time in my lifetime where air traffic was halted was in the first couple days after 9/11/2001. Even with the most recent crash with that specific 737 jet from Boeing, the aviation industry has gone on unaltered... WIth the exception of Boeing needing to ground that specific line up new jets.
What do you mean by the whole industry shuts down? Doesn't this never happen?
You all are right.

It's more that in every episode of Air Disasters, once they find the cause, subsequent flights no longer need to worry about that particular problem anymore as they have solved it. The problem is they don't know there's a problem until a plane goes down.