• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the wall was always a money laundering scheme so Trump is laughing all the way to the bank.

"The Radical Left weather ruined my wall. Give me more money and I'll make it great again!"

Idiots will eat it up.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How does this happen? Shouldn't there be less pressure on them because of the space between the slats?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's funny when structural engineers don't understand how hurricanes work.

For those idiots like me on the ground, rushing to leap off a pier to surf to get past the break, we understand that the huge gusts are periodic and for most hurricanes slight in number. You get a big gust of wind, put your board on the ground. Then maybe three or four minutes later you get another.

But when you're designing a structure you need to realize that fifty gusts of 70-80 mph over the course of the day can destroy something.

Example: the is the pier I used to leap off of while timing our drops so we wouldn't be crushed beneath the waves against the wood:

oceanviewfishingpier.com

Ocean View Pier

Enjoy delicious seafood and stunning views at Ocean View Pier, the best Fishing Center with waterfront restaurant in town.

It used to be called Harrison's Pier (after the family of a friend of mine), Even though we were having fun as young college students or recent graduates at the time, leaping off its tip, we watched the winds eventually knock most of it down. Even though the hurricane didn't seem that bad to us. I mean we were surfing.

A lot of people outside of the eastern seaboard don't realize that it's about duration, not strength. They think it's like some Roland Emmerich film where the winds are a constant 100 mph and everything is gone with the wind. Hurricanes don't actually work that way. The dangerous part is when the scientists tell you the storm surge will be high. That's when you get out of town and don't look back.

Edit: I should say that since the pier was rebuilt, they will not allow surfers to pay the fee and jump off the pier. Also the cops no longer merely give you a ticket if caught. They will beat your ass if they catch you. You can try to run, but running half naked in a hurricane with a surf board isn't easy. They're going to catch you. So please don't do it. Just wait until the surf report tells you you're getting head high waves the day before the storm hits and surf in that. My friends and I were really stupid back in the day.

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
How does this happen? Shouldn't there be less pressure on them because of the space between the slats?

The flat portions at the top are big wind catchers if anything that will help knock em over. Believe they started to add those because of so many videos and people figuring out how to use the poles to their advantage by wrapping things around the top. But either way a strong enough wind is gonna knock down a pole, we see it all the time in FL where we get hit alot, if anything this wall was never built to withstand strong winds of a storm, so a hurricane would just destroy it if the whole thing is like this video

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The flat portions at the top are big wind catchers if anything that will help knock em over. Believe they started to add those because of so many videos and people figuring out how to use the poles to their advantage by wrapping things around the top. But either way a strong enough wind is gonna knock down a pole, we see it all the time in FL where we get hit alot, if anything this wall was never built to withstand strong winds of a storm, so a hurricane would just destroy it if the whole thing is like this video
Thank you.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tint the video blue and put a "Blue Wave 2020" caption on it if Trump loses on Election Day?

Deleted member 35740

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
How do we verify this is indeed the wall? I love dunking on Trump like most people but how do we know this video isn't about something else?

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It was the wind of God.
giphy.gif

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I hate this. There's more than enough reasons to make fun of Trump without resorting to making shit up.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be some dispute over where the video was recorded, so we're locking this thread. If there's more definitive news, feel free to create a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.