• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
the physic of this puzzle me. It slides so smoothly but doesnt seem that steep... and the the water rush back in like it it slided under the sea level ?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine sitting in one of those houses.

"Welp, I guess this is it"

*slides slowly into the sea*

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
Parts of Norway is quick clay, which is solid for the most part until it gets too much pressure or something stirs it, then it turns liquid, which is what happened in Alta. There was big quick clay landslide in Norway in 1978 as well, which was filmed. You can see it here https://youtu.be/3q-qfNlEP4A with English commentary that also explains why it happens ,but you can skip around if you just wanna see crazy shots of land sliding away.

You'll find quick clay in Finland, Sweden, Russia and also Canada. It's really interesting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_clay

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I saw an hour long documentary on a similar thing happening a couple of years ago.

Must be truly terrifying.

Edit: Guess it wasn't an hour as the poster above posted the link.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
f61274842584466c8a225beaab3a213b_da4b4d34198e42e160e5d16207b0c0cf_1_original.jpeg

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
I saw an hour long documentary on a similar thing happening a couple of years ago.

Must be truly terrifying.

Edit: Guess it wasn't an hour as the poster above posted the link.

It's such a cool short documentary even though it's old. It's really interesting and I like how it explains so well. I've watched it lots of times :p

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I mean, what would you even do in that situation? Try and find the bit of water that is moving slowest and jump in to swim away?
Climb to the top of the house and hope that the roof doesn't break up?

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Parts of Norway is quick clay, which is solid for the most part until it gets too much pressure or something stirs it, then it turns liquid, which is what happened in Alta. There was big quick clay landslide in Norway in 1978 as well, which was filmed. You can see it here https://youtu.be/3q-qfNlEP4A with English commentary that also explains why it happens ,but you can skip around if you just wanna see crazy shots of land sliding away.
I just started to watch the documentary, and so far it has been pretty damn great. The narration of the 1st landslide, where the amateur photographer and farmers had to escape, is enthralling.

Also, just learned that land with clay sediments can quickly liquefy, if enough salt is taken away from it (through normal erosion).
Thanks.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
I just started to watch the documentary, and so far it has been pretty damn great. The narration of the 1st landslide, where the amateur photographer and farmers had to escape, is enthralling.

Also, just learned that land with clay sediments can quickly liquefy, if enough salt is taken away from it (through normal erosion).
Thanks.

It's very good and informative! We watched it in school ages ago and it really made an impression on me. I still watch it from time to time and I'm fascinated every single time.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When my brain sees something so abnormal/huge scale destruction like that, it always looks unreal. If I saw that in a movie and didn't already know it was real life, I would have thought that was made with miniatures.

The power of nature, and the fragility of our world view.

that white house looks like a bath toy

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
It's very good and informative! We watched it in school ages ago and it really made an impression on me. I still watch it from time to time and I'm fascinated every single time.
Love that stuff, particularly the way it's narrated. Also, looking at all the instruments used to analyze the samples, really brings back memories of images from when I was a kid.

Apparently there was another landslide this week:
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/utrikes/nytt-ras-i-nordnorge-orsakade-stort-hal