• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Personally im looking forward to the free wins and salty ass crybaby messages

the best thing about this online is its going to be easy as hell to tell who is using it letting me know Exactly what their character Cant do anymore

That said its a great feature for people just wanting to have some fun, i mean blazblue did it for like 8 years already but ya know sf is the only fighting game ever :P

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
another FG thread and its another thread about people who clearly dont even play the genre making fun of people liking motion controls, saying how its the hardest part of learning the genre ( when its the easiest) and acting like motion controls are the devil.

like clockwork every time
Another FG thread where the motion control diehards assume that any dissent could only be coming from outsiders speaking out of ignorance.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder that dnf duel comes out on Tuesday and does pretty much every thing in this video.
But they don't want DnF, they want to be part of the Street Fighter tribe and the prestige going with it !

Anyway, like I said before, all this motion debate is pointless as the most important thing is that the matchmaking puts people against folks or their level.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Removing risk in special move execution is never going to be okay for me. Even pros fail to input QCFs sometimes.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Removing risk in special move execution is never going to be okay for me. Even pros fail to input QCFs sometimes.
I mean it's ok, but other factors have to be introduced that can leave room for error, it works for smash because of all the other variables that are not in other 2d fighters

People try to say well smash did it so sf can too

but sf doesnt have shit like insanely variable air movement, hp % based combos , tilts, sweet spots, platforms, edge guarding tied to the kill system of knocking out and so on

Most 2d fighters even the crazier vs series style ones, are very grid like in nature and more refinded with their movements and attack coverage

So the devs in 6 here are trying to find some middle ground, with the other limitations the mode has. Which is great I rather the mode be in for people that want it than not have it at all

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It should be noted that you can still access the missing special moves by doing the traditional inputs while in Modern Controls. For example, if you want to take a drink as Jamie, you can still do the down-down motion.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it does. In the context of video games, it just a synonym for a bad player.

Good to know I can insult people on this forum when discussing game design if I make myself sound smart enough.
Scrub is almost always used when discussing an attitude. Go look at the Scrubquotes twitter account. Its all people raging, making excuses, etc. It doesn't refer to skill level

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It should be noted that you can still access the missing special moves by doing the traditional inputs while in Modern Controls. For example, if you want to take a drink as Jamie, you can still do the down-down motion.
However, for someone like Chun, that would mean doing both a charge move (sbk) and QCB (Serenity Stream) - at which point you might as well just use Classic?

Yes, it does. In the context of video games, it just a synonym for a bad player.
Nah.

Scrub is all about attitude.

1. Scrub
Someone who thinks they're much better than they are and makes excuses whenever they lose. The classic scrub believes that the only reason they aren't winning is because the opponent isn't following some self-defined set of "honorable" rules (like not spamming whatever move is hitting them today), not through any lack of skill on their own part. Some people use the term to refer to any beginner, but really the core of the term is an insult towards people who refuse to learn.

myco666

Oct 26, 2017
Fake Europe
For EVO winners motions inputs practically don't exist, and new players barely manage to move their characters in a match let alone do a complicated motion input. Did you see the SFV streamer tournament on twitch?

At AT&T players managed to move and do special inputs just fine. Problem was that almost none of them had any proper strategy figured out so they were just trying to do any special input whenever.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
However, for someone like Chun, that would mean doing both a charge move (sbk) and QCB (Serenity Stream) - at which point you might as well just use Classic?
True, but that's probably why we have a few down-down motions (like for Chun's DP kicks). Plus the other moves can serve as a nice gateway drug to Classic Controls for those who want to make that transition.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
"Scrub" is a mindset, not a skill indicator, although people do like to interchange them.

Even top players can be labeled scrubs based on the things they say or do.
For EVO winners motions inputs practically don't exist, and new players barely manage to move their characters in a match let alone do a complicated motion input. Did you see the SFV streamer tournament on twitch?
Those players also only had what, a week to practice? With most of those players never having touched the genre at all??? Of course they're going to think things are complicated.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway this is amazing for the disabled or those who genuinely struggle severely with motions. Let em enjoy themselves and if they can/choose they can switch it off and unlock their full potential with time.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
True, but that's probably why we have a few down-down motions (like for Chun's DP kicks). Plus the other moves can serve as a nice gateway drug to Classic Controls for those who want to make that transition.
Agreed. And to be fair, Chun is considered 'Hard' after all.

Fn3GrYD.png

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Another FG thread where the motion control diehards assume that any dissent could only be coming from outsiders speaking out of ignorance.

yes of course, "diehard" motion fans (lol).

ive been in enough of these threads to see that the vast majority of complaints about inputs come from people who have no interest in FGs and literally never will either even if they had the most simplified of controls. Not one of these person bought granblue. And not one will buy dnf duel either.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022

Nah.

Scrub is all about attitude.

1. Scrub

I'm not gonna watch a 7 minute video of a random streamer
Congrats on turning a thread about a cool feature that the person in the video is excited about into a thread about motion controls.
The entire video is about how inaccessible fighting games are with motion inputs. Did you even bother to watch the video or just write a drive by comment?

At AT&T players managed to move and do special inputs just fine. Problem was that almost none of them had any proper strategy figured out so they were just trying to do any special input whenever.
Good for them? That's like saying accessibility doesn't matter because it isn't for me.

Thx.

Those players also only had what, a week to practice? With most of those players never having touched the genre at all??? Of course they're going to think things are complicated.
This is the same as saying "it gets better after 100 hours".

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I think y'all are being harsh lol.

Inputs really are the easiest part though. The second easiest is combos. I can do some sick fucking combos in training mode but catch me in a match and I'll get wrecked by simple fundamentals because I can't even get a hit in.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
The simplified control scheme is amazing and it's great that more people will get to enjoy SF6 with fewer barriers. But you absolutely cannot have this be the only option. Fighting games don't have motion inputs just for funsies. It's relevant to the balance of the games and I feel like so many people seem to just ignore that entirely.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I'm not gonna watch a 7 minute video of a random streamer

The entire video is about how inaccessible fighting games are with motion inputs. Did you even bother to watch the video or just write a drive by comment?

Good for them? That's like saying accessibility doesn't matter because it isn't for me.

Thx.

This is the same as saying "it gets better after 100 hours".
well since it's clear you just don't give a shit and aren't willing to listen to anyone, then i simply do not have time for your bullshit in this thread

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
Don't let one person derail what should be a positive and worthwhile discussion. Just let it go.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
low tier god is pretty good at street fighter and most people
would still say he has a shitty, scrub like attitude. and they would be right
LTG is honestly the perfect example that a scrub can be at any skill level.

Dude is actually legit decent at SF but refuses to learn from the mistakes he makes and blames them on literally everything but his own unwillingness to reflect and adapt. 100% scrub shit.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
For someone who is able to get over the hump, absolutely. But for accessibility purposes, they should allow for people who would not be able to. Players are used to classic controls, I feel anyway, are already at a pretty big advantage. I don't see how it could cause balancing issues.
If you can do everything equally as well but easier with the modern control scheme (and I don't think it's actually possible for that to be the case, but hypothetically), then people who are used to classic controls would just use modern controls to make that gap even larger.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you can do everything equally as well but easier with the modern control scheme (and I don't think it's actually possible for that to be the case, but hypothetically), then people who are used to classic controls would just use modern controls to make that gap even larger.
Correct

Which is why its fine for simplified stuff to let people get their feet wet or just have casual fun with it, but it will never let you touch people that invest time in the game and in return leads to design issues and balance challenges if its the single universal option

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I think it's important for people to know that if they're thinking about playing online, the simple controls are a learning tool meant to be used as a stepping stone to graduating to regular inputs. They are not meant to be something that puts you on an even playing field with someone using the regular control method.

I feel like there's going to be a lot of salt when this releases once new players realize that.
I don't think so.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Anyway this is amazing for the disabled or those who genuinely struggle severely with motions. Let em enjoy themselves and if they can/choose they can switch it off and unlock their full potential with time.
Yeah, was happy seeing her being exited about the new modern controllers. Hope it attracts a new crowd.
I'm struggling with combos, 3 out of 10 times I can do it in practice. Stupid Bison.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
After looking into the specials mapped to Chun-Li for Modern Controls, I found an issue I thought I should ask to be rectified.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people using modern controls are playing in ranked or anything like that. I'm just thinking of a way to keep it fun & interesting for them. At the end of the day, it's all about having fun. And if being able to customize the controls makes it more fun for them, why not?

For example, for Ryu, Hadoken is just Special & Shoryuken is forward + Special. I don't think it would hurt anybody to allow someone to switch them around if that's what they prefer. And to take it deeper, swap in normals that aren't available to them in the regular modern control scheme.

From there, they can either stay in their pool of modern control players or graduate up to classic. Either way, the game can have a very healthy community with this. The hardcore stays competitive & the casuals just have fun. Win-win.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
After looking into the specials mapped to Chun-Li for Modern Controls, I found an issue I thought I should ask to be rectified.

People holding down back to block, or even just down to crouch, who then press special for kikoken without thinking will then accidentally get spinning bird kick.

Edit: Or even if they intend to do kikoken after crouch blocking, how will the game know if they want kikoken or SBK?