• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
When I was in kindergarten my mom and I would play Dr. Mario every morning. Given the time period I'd have been 5 and she would be about 26. And I mean every morning. We graduated to afternoon bouts of Streets of Rage.

exaByte

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I fondly remember Duck Hunt...man that game was awesome back then. xD Especially playing wih my dad and getting very competitive.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
My dad used to play strategy games. Age of Empires was the big one. That and this cool Battleship pc game we used to have where you were doing actual missions and naval tactics stuff, but using the battleship board game style for combat.

My dad was more into puzzle games and now just plays things like Mario and certain Wii games. The NES mini was a godsend for her.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
The only game my dad ever played was Lunar Pool on NES. My mom would play it with him. I was happy to see my parents play on my console.

images

My mom doesn't play on her own but occasionally she likes to play a fighting game or Mario Kart with me.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have never seen him play, but I heard from his brothers that they used to play Mario and Contra.

It was shortlived.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
My mom played popular classic arcade games like Ms. Pacman and Centipede. My dad was a much more avid gamer and played consoles as far back as the Atari 2600. He manily played military themed games like Top Gun and Metal Gear for the NES and sports games like Madden 94', Super Bases Loaded, and Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run for the SNES. The last console he bought was the PS1 and was planning to play RE3 but he was busy with work and I accidentally broke the PS1 later on when I spilled juice on the lens.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
My mom taught me to read by playing Pokémon red + blue with me (and then continued to play yellow) because pokemon was what was in at my preschool. She did the same thing a few years later to help my brother feel more confident reading when fire red came out.

Other than that, I recall her playing a lot of GameCube with me and my brother; she was especially fond of Mario Kart, Mario Party and Animal Crossing. She went online and printed me out a huge gamefaqs list of all the furniture codes to give to Tom Nook so we wouldn't have to go into the other room every time to look them up. She really liked to fish in AC, and hated to lose in Mario party/kart and would take it way too seriously. Luckily she hadn't played video games before having me so it was pretty evenly balanced between my brother and I and her.

She bought my dad madden once for him and I to play together but he didn't get it. The most he ever did was try to play rock band, and even that was minimal. He liked taking peaks at what I was playing and got really excited when I liked a game he picked out/I asked him to get me.

I'm glad that overall both my parents are pretty supportive of my hobby and understand why I enjoy it so much, even if it's not generally their thing. Although my mom likes phone games now, like candy crush and even was into Pokémon go at the beginning since she knew all the gen 1 Pokémon.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
My mother played quite a bit when i was younger. We had a SNES/GameBoy combo and later a PS1. From what i can remember she played all kinds of games. Tetris, Super Mario Kart, Secret of Evermore, Lufia II, WipeOut 2097, Super Mario World come to mind. She pretty much stopped playing after the PS1 era but got into playing Guild Wars with friends years later. My father never played a video game ever i think.

Nov 8, 2017
My parents had a ton of games on C64 back in the day, but stopped playing as often as my brother and I got older and played it more.

My mum still plays though; she's got a Wii, Wii U, PS4, and PSVR. Her current favourites are Mario Kart 8, Worms Battlegrounds, and Beat Saber. She also tries most of the PS+ games, and plays some casual mobile Farmville-clone games. My dad isn't really interested in games these days.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I doubt my parents played any video game in their life. Not even mobiles games, pac-man or arcade games. Not even with myself or my brother.

But they bought many video games and our fist console, so that's cool, I guess.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mostly Atari 2600, NES and SNES. Especially anything with Mario and Donkey Kong. Now the only thing my mom plays is Farmville on her iPad -.-

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
Animal crossing, my parents love to fish in. I get teary eyed when I come across that copypasta/webcomic of a person playing their deceased mom's old ac village-.-

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
My father used to play Diddy Kong Racing with me back then and some different adventures like Tomb Raider but also Myst and some Zork games. He also played Anno 1602 and 1503 for hours and hours. Then he didn't play anything at all all until he got himself a Xbox 360. He loves Assassin's Creed and each year we had a birthday present for him until AC stopped being released on the old gen. He played every single AC and completed them almost to 100% because "it's there -- I can still do things I'm supposed to do." He also played and finished Spec Ops, MGSV, and a couple of other games I can't remember.

My mum once tried L.A. Noir but she has like zero interest in games in general. She watched sometimes when I was playing some "cute" games like Zelda, or "beautiful" games like Uncharted.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
My future MiL played through the first six Dragon Quest games when my fiance was little, apparently my FiL took her Super Famicom away because she was focusing on it too much. My fiance got very into them as a result, then eventually got me on to them a couple of years back. Glad she did, it's my favourite series now.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
My mom only played Tetris.
My dad however had a Megadrive (that he gave to me later on) with Sonic, Toejam and Earl, Desert Strike and other games I don't remember. He also played Oddworld, a little Diablo 2, Diablo 3, a little Team Fortress 2. He is also fond of racing games like Gran Turismo and Forza.
Currently he plays at GTA5 from time to time.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
My grandma used to play the original Mario Bros. with me as a kid. My mom bought MKII back on the SNES. My step dad and me finished one of the TMNT games and the DKC titles. He used to get sports games as a habit, but stopped after the N64 as he never played them. He stopped playing with me sometime during the SNES because, as he claims today, they got too complicated and he would get frustrated while I could play them and beat them easy. They kinda got into it again with the Wii, but I often hear "I need to set the Wii up so I can do Wii Fit" once every other time I see them.

Nowadays my mom plays Pokemon Go with my nephew, stuff like Bejeweled that isn't Bejeweled and other casual titles. My step dad used to play on his phone whatever was popular (back in the days of Doodle Jump) but I don't think I've seen a game for a long time. He finds the graphics and everything neat, he just thinks they're too complicated to learn how to play and there's no convincing him otherwise.

mrtnmntrl

Nov 5, 2017
Montreal
I've never seen my dad play a video game except bowling in Wii Sports. My mom was pretty into it at some point too, but hasn't touched it in a while. She was pretty good (from what I remember) at Super Mario, Super Breakout and Kaboom. Fun times.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
My dad played the first metroid with me or without me,and my mom was into zelda,tetris and final fantasy,of course on my NES

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
My dad was into PC gaming when he was younger. He played the first couple of Doom games, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Star Wars: Pod Racer, Flight Simulator, Diablo, Age of Empires and other stuff I can't remember. He loves a lot of old arcade games like Galaga, Tetris, Pac-man, Centipede, Missle Command, etc.

I know my mom played arcade games but I'm not sure what she played. I got her to play Lego Star Wars on Wii with me. I also played through season 1 of Telltale's The Walking Dead with her and my brother—she was really into that game. Can't think of anything else she's played.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Dad played a lot of Diablo 2, Age of Empire 2 and Red Alert 2.

Mom played Candy Crush.

Turnstyle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Dad used to play text adventure games with me in the 80s. We would plot out a map as we played, on a stack of dot matrix printer paper, noting items and locked doors as we went. Fond memories of evenings sitting in my room, playing on a small black and white TV, trying to work out how we could get into the wizard's cave or whatever.

Aside from that, not much. I did show them Rock Band once, but I was blown away by their total lack of rhythm.

Now I've got kids, I play lots of games with them. Maybe too many. Lots of Lego games, and anything Nintendo. My son was playing Minecraft the other day, and my Dad was over. He was shocked by 'how good the graphics are'. Yes. MINECRAFT.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
My mother really pushed me and my brother in to gaming. Because of her insisting I should try the original Harvest Moon I finally tried that game. She had read in a magazine about the Final Fantasy games and bought Final Fantasy VIII. Me or my brother played and she watched and translated the game for us. She watched complete playtroughs of every PSX/PS2 Final Fantasy, the Metal Gear games, Tomb Raider, Star Ocean and Zelda.

Games we played together were Animal Crossing, Smash Bros 64, Turok Rage wars, Snowboard kids and Mario Party just to name a few. She later bought a DS for herself and got really addicted to the Etrian DS games. For some absurd reason she played the Final Fantasy XII DS game for over 500 hours. She also beat every Dragon Quest DS game, Rune Factory 1 and 2, the Lunar/Mana DS games. She mostly played RPGS's but when I got her a PSP she also tried God of War. Although Kingdom Hearts and FF Tactics were here favorites.

Because of her I have some DS games that have soared in price like the Atelier DS game or that Harry Potter Animal Crossing game. The real Animal Crossing DS game she really liked and she beat Yoshi DS and all of its bonus stages.

Unfortunately the story end there, her sickness got worse and worse and she passed away days before the 3DS released. It's really unfortunately she didn't live to see the Switch. She probably would have loved that console/hybrid and I sometimes wonder what game she would have been playing now if she was still here.

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
My dad got really into Myst and Riven in the 90s. We finished it together - that is to say, we read the guide and did what the guide told us to do. Great times, although he has no interest in video games whatsoever.

My mom actually finished Donkey Kong Land and Super Mario Land on the original Game Boy. She also played Super Mario 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion II when I lent her my 3DS for a few weeks. She finished neither of them but enjoyed them both iirc.

Last edited:

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Im 38 and the only games i remember my Parents played was Tetris on Game Boy for my mom and phew NBA Jam on SNES for my dad. They both played a tiny bit of Super Mario World. Both havent touched games in decades.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
When my Dad was in town last weekend, we played Tecmo Bowl as we have for the last 30 years lol.

He plays NBA Jam and Bad News Baseball with me as well.

He used to try and play Goldeneye with me, but the N64 controller was too much for him(totally understandable ha).

Jan 9, 2018
My dad and I finished many times Snow bros on co-op on the NES, more than 25 years ago. He also likes Mario Kart, especially on Wii where he got al gold medals on all speeds modes. Also solitary spider in PC, like a lot. My mom doesn't play often but she liked Brain training for the NDS, she played the game once a day for at least 6 months.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
My mom played a lot of the MSX classics. I barely remember the names but I remember knightmare, and she ESPECIALLY loved gradius (called nemesis)

She played tons of other msx games but those are the only 2 I remember by name

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I got my dad to play some Vietnam shooter around 15 years ago and he noped out after three minutes when the controller started rumbling.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Atari 2600 Jr was my first console and my mother liked to play Pitfall on it. Father and mother both liked River Raid too.
Then we got NES and my mother really loved a game named Circus Charlie and was so good in that game!

uydm_nes-circus_charlie.gif

My father liked NES Golf (I didn't know that was Mario until some years ago) and liked to play Championship Pool with my uncle too.

ovww_nes-golf-nintendo-switch.jpg

They didn't play games later, until Kinect. It was a magical experience for them and were really happy with games like Kinect Sports, but only for 2,3 days and after that, they left it!
Both play mobile games these days though. My mother has lots of games, but my father has only a poker game and really like it.

the only game my dad ever played on a pc
apps.8513.9007199266522392.60aa4439-ecb1-45c7-8cb8-21b75b1527e8.95dcb5e2-bff8-473a-b386-6e087fd1de56
This too! I forgot to mention it.

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
My family has popped into games casually, mostly socially or out of curiosity.

My grandpa was the one who bought my cousins and I an NES in the late '80s, but I remember he used to sneak in games of Super Mario Bros. before going to work in the morning (in his 40s at the time). My mom would help me beat the water levels in Mario if I asked her, and later my stepdad basically pulled an all-nighter on Christmas Eve with Super Ghouls n' Ghosts on the SNES. He tried to beat that one for weeks, and would play a bit of Vegas Stakes. He also popped into some N64 out of curiosity when we first got it (probably because he paid for it).

Later on, my mom got into watching the Resident Evil remake on GameCube because it was "like a movie," and just about everyone would play some Wii Sports at family gatherings (that same stepdad bought himself some of those shovelware hunting games on my sister's Wii). My sister and I convince my ma to play Mario Kart and Mario Party on Switch on the holidays, but none of my older family seeks out games.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think both of them had played a lot of Commodore 64 stuff before I was born. From my childhood I remember my mom playing at least Donkey Kong Country. Most notably they've just played a lot of solitaire on the PC.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
My dad loved Space Invaders and Pacman but that was pretty much it for him aside from a brief attempt to get into flight sims in the 90s.

Oct 28, 2017
I gamed a fair bit with my dad in hot seat mode. When someone beat a level, or died we switched seats. That's how we played Wolfenstein 3D, Need for Speed Underground 2, Call of Duty 1 and United Offensive and Colin McRae Dirt 2. Good times.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My dad used to play Minesweeper and a version of Snake. Nothing since.
My mom tried a game once for a few minutes. I forget which one. She decided that players don't actually have any influence on what happens in games. She thinks that liking video games is a mental illness. She was blown away by X-Wing VR in Battlefront on PSVR, but she was just looking around while I played it through the social screen output.