• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
As the title says, I'm going through an expedition of sorts to play through a multitude of video games that either focus on Norse Mythology or have a viking theme. I'm in the process of completing Northgard, and it's a super fun strategy game. Eventually, I'll need a new game to get my viking and Norse Mythology fix, so what are some games you nice folks could recommend, and why should I take the time to play them?

At this time, these are the games that I completed (NOTE: I only have a PC, so I can't play games that are exclusive to a console, such as God of War for the PS4), and I'm specifically looking for video games that have a solid single player component of sorts, so Valheim is off the menu:

• A Banner Saga Trilogy
  • Jotun
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Asassin's Creed: Valhalla
  • Expeditions: Viking
  • Volgarr the Viking
  • Tales of Phantasia
  • Vikings: Wolves of Midgard

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
MV5BZjg1M2Y2ZTQtMjY1ZC00ZTY3LTk2MTctZTZhZDU3OGM2M2VjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk2MTUxODg@._V1_.jpg

No Viking themes per say but loosely based on Nordic mythological individuals.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God of War 2018
Valheim
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Too Human
Hellblade
Skyrim

OP
OP
Protoman200X

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
This is the only one I could think of that wasn't on your list

Hmmm, it looks like it was released during the Xbox 360/PS3 era, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Thank you for the recommendation.

Have you played Valheim?

Please check what I've written, as I'm specifically looking for Single Player games only.

MV5BZjg1M2Y2ZTQtMjY1ZC00ZTY3LTk2MTctZTZhZDU3OGM2M2VjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk2MTUxODg@._V1_.jpg

No Viking themes per say but loosely based on Nordic mythological individuals.

Hmmm, I'll give it a look, but it depends if I can obtain this game without resorting to the evil "E" word.

God of War 2018
Valheim
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Too Human
Hellblade
Skyrim

I already played Hellblade, AC: V, and Skyrim, but I'll look up Too Human. Also, unless if GoW 2018 is available on PC, then I can't play it. :(

Arugala

May 21, 2021
store.steampowered.com

Northgard on Steam

Northgard is a critically acclaimed strategy game based on Norse mythology. Lead your clan, uncover the secrets of a mysterious newfound continent and defeat your enemies to conquer the Throne!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Even though you're on PC can't you stream God of War via PSNow if you wanted to? Might be worth checking out.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best of luck on that one mate. The easiest way now legitly is getting the PSP version to play on that or a VITA.

EDIT: I think its actually available on iOS/Android now too if you're not averse to that.
or emulate on pc with bluestacks, i heard its a contender for best version with the american ps1 version due to the hd avatars

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
If you feel like giving streaming a shot, you could always play God of War through PS Now. I don't know how well the PC version is compared to PS4/5, but if it's a close enough experience, I think you should give it a try. I believe there is a 7 day free trial for new subscribers, so you would have to pay for a whole month. That is of course assuming PS Now is available where you live.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Too Human is an interesting one. It's not a great game at all, but I had fun with it. Think Diablo but with the Norse gods, but also they're in space. You play as Baldur and the main villain is Loki (Although I don't remember if he was in the game. It's the first part of a trilogy that was never completed.) I do remember fighting Hel.

edit: I thought it came out on PC but it's Xbox only, so... well you're not missing much anyway.

Last edited:

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
off kilter recommendation: Kingdom Rush Vengeance. It has a whole norse part which is pretty cool (plus the game is awesome itself)

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If you wanna get really old-school, add Rune 1 to the mix. Runs on Unreal Engine 1 though, so it's kind of a deep cut.

AvianAviator

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jun 23, 2021
Bad North is a tactical roguelike where you defend your home island from invading Vikings.

This is probably a reach since it's only vaguely Norse-inspired, but there's a neat point and click adventure game called Whispers of a Machine with multiple endings. It's a cyberpunk game and the choices you make determine what kind of biotic augmentation powers you have.

You can play Valheim solo, honestly, it's just better with friends.
This, I like Valheim enough to play it solo when none of my friends want to do it with me.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Expedition: Vikings
Lost in Vinland
There are also multiple point'n'click games with a Norse/Viking themes on Steam, but the names currently escape me.
There is also an Age of Mythology-ish RTS

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Fuggedaboud Norse mythology, I want more games with horse mythology!

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I cannot recommend The Banner Saga trilogy enough. It might not be the best strategy game, but honestly, this game really is more than the sum of it's parts!

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Max Payne 1 and 2 are heavily inspired by norse mythology. Most people don't realize because the heroic violence and graphic novel inspirations are much more prominent. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

Valkyr, Aesir, Woden, Jack Lupino, the fact that the first game takes place entirely in a winter storm. The games are full of norse symbolism.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Valkyrie Profile, its simply one of the most memorable game for me. Play it if you can. The recent GOW is amazing also.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Lost Vikings and Norse by Norsewest are fun action puzzle games.

Valkyrie Profile is a beautiful game. but getting a physical copy can be costly.