• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your home, your rules. Be honest with them. If they still treat you that way, don't invite them over or ask them to leave.

Think of it this way: if they don't change their behavior, they're not friends and more importantly, are preventing you from finding real friends. Your time at Uni is one of the few adult experiences where you can build friendships. Don't waste it on assholes.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i consider myself a gamer but i don't have anywhere close to 1000 games, even having been a gamer for 20+ years.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Games are not your problem, your "friends" are just being "friends" because you have something they want access to.

It never happened to me but seen it a lot.

As a kid it happened to whoever had the most games or comics, as a teen it was the kid with a car or a pool, as an adult it's the guy with good connections that can help you get something, whether it be a job, best seats at a restaurant, or deals on adult necessities.

And I said games for kid but it can be any age that's just when I saw that not casting aspersions.

Point being is games are not the problem it just happens to be the material goods your actual problem is interested in, or in other words, they are not your friends, they are just using you for your shit and you should be kicking their fake friend using asses to the curb and find people that want to be around you not your stuff and make friends with them instead.
This. The fact that op seems stuck on blaming games makes me believe he is in some form of denial about it all though.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
This is seems so weird. When I was in college games were one of the ways my friend group bonded (but wasn't the only thing we did together by far) and we would just sit there and shoot the shit the whole time. Even now in the unfortunately infrequent times when we get together we'll catch up while playing games.

I get the idea of people maybe using the OP for his systems and games but the no interaction is just puzzling. I would suggest trying to change the dynamics by going to someone else's place or playing board games but it sounds like that's been tried to no avail.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your 'friends' ain't shit. Get rid of them.

Hide everything and invite everyone over. Whoever sees no games and leaves can stay gone.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
They are coming over to your place. You can control the tempo of the conversation or the lack of it in this case.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
How old are you? If over 18, this isn't even remotely normal behaviour. My experience with something similar was when i was in elementary school and some 'friends' came over to play my games because they didn't have it on their own or their parents forbade them from playing or whatever.

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
Sounds like they're not friends and are using you for your games. Do they not have gta themselves?

Either way you'll be better off if you bite the bullet and be straightforward with them. They're preventing you from having a life and making real friends. Delete the save/character and tell them to fuck off

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sell your games, OP.

You say you got 1000, but you also don't really fuck with em that much. Even if you did, what practical value does that collection serve to outweigh this grief with fake friends? Figure out what few you want to keep, and get rid of the rest.

Or at least part with GTA.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
In middle school all my friends wanted to come over and play Goldeneye all the time. Unlike your friends OP we talked, but I did get sick of that being the only thing we did. So I traded it into EB. They were a little pissed but things went back to normal.

Get rid of GTA and see how they react maybe.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Get new friends if all they're interested is your video games.

Even if they have their own games, and that's all they wanna do, find new friends.

Doesn't mean you have to rid of these current friends, just find other friends that wanna do more than play video games.

Take advantage that you're still in school and probably surrounded by people your age.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I get the idea of people maybe using the OP for his systems and games but the no interaction is just puzzling. I would suggest trying to change the dynamics by going to someone else's place or playing board games but it sounds like that's been tried to no avail.
If the story is true, and I don't see why one would make up such an unflattering story, it just reinforces the idea they are using him. Think about it, if they have no actual interest in OP or for that matter each other beyond the games what is their to talk about? That part of the story makes it even more implicit to me that OP get rid of them, if they only show up for games and won't even talk to you they are literally not your friends and obviously would not even be there if they had any other access.

I find it more sad than weird, it's a horrible way to treat OP, and bothers me that OP puts up with it and feels the need to ask us instead of getting rid of them.

Oh it makes me long for the days when the toughest thread to read on ERA was "do you wipe your ass", but seems like we have regressed since then.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
If it was just one friend coming over and silently playing video games, I could see that

Multiple friends sitting silently is weird. Really weird. Unless we were the weirdos when things like GTA3 came out and we'd yell at the tv about where to go or what to do or laugh about the outcome of running from the cops? I can't recall a single time I had multiple friends come over and there wasn't some kind of loud shenanigans while playing video games.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those sound like the most uncomfortable, least fun, social gatherings ever.

At least play Smash Bros.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
really weird that people come to your place, play your games, while basically exiling you to do homework in another room. If I ever went to someone's house and they were like "Hey, I'm gonna go do homework, but you can hang out..." i'd be like, well, that's my cue to leave.

your friends may not be great at communicating but they like being around each other, so videogames are that bridge to human activity.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Nobody talks. It's just total silence. Everyone starting at the screen. I say something but nobody replies. It's like they all turn into someone else when they play. Someone only talks when they do something really cool in GTA.

Oof. This sounds like elementary school kids hanging out. I think I'd just have to find different friends, but sometimes that's easier said than done.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Uhhh, you invite them right? Meet somewhere else? Play co-op games? Don't invite them if they only care about your games?

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Don't base your friendships off of that one mutual hobby.

Also try "Man I don't even wanna game I wanna talk about shit dude". A real friend will step up. Any other friend is fair weather as shit.
I have a few friends whom we share one mutual interest in a hobby. Board games. The only difference is that it facilitates discussion, collaboration, and shared experiences.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I ended a friendship with someone who lost interest in games, turns out it's what we had in common and when that was gone, there was nothing.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Everyone of my friendships has us gather and play games together. Or chat while someone plays, take turns, or play some fighting games or something. There has never been an issue, sounds like you got crummy friends.

Wild to me that you guys don't talk or interact at all during it.

Last edited:

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sell your copy of GTA.

If you went digital though, you are boned. Another casualty of the push to digital.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
How do you all play GTA? it doesn't have split screen.

Do you play until you are killed and then the other friend play? or do you have set time each person?

Also, this is really weird.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I dont get it. They all sit there and one of them plays gta. What is everybody else doing? You can't play with 2-3 . That story is so strange.

Get rid of GTA and see if they stay your "friends".

Sometimes threads like these seem like an experiment to see what people say about a topic or a school project or just taking the sh%$.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I dont get it. They all sit there and one of them plays gta. What is everybody else doing? You can't play with 2-3 . That story is so strange.

Get rid of GTA and see if they stay your "friends".

Sometimes threads like these seem like an experiment to see what people say about a topic or a school project or just taking the sh%$.

Never watch a let's play? It's like that, but in person. Watched my friend beat stuff my chicken ass wouldn't play by myself like the first RE or Silent Hill.

Oct 27, 2017
If the story is true, and I don't see why one would make up such an unflattering story, it just reinforces the idea they are using him. Think about it, if they have no actual interest in OP or for that matter each other beyond the games what is their to talk about? That part of the story makes it even more implicit to me that OP get rid of them, if they only show up for games and won't even talk to you they are literally not your friends and obviously would not even be there if they had any other access.

I find it more sad than weird, it's a horrible way to treat OP, and bothers me that OP puts up with it and feels the need to ask us instead of getting rid of them.

Oh it makes me long for the days when the toughest thread to read on ERA was "do you wipe your ass", but seems like we have regressed since then.
WTF? Why weren't people wiping their asses? JFC.

OP get new friends. If we accept what you are saying at face value then you have no choice. Going to your room while people are over is not normal. If you feel you have to do that then there is something very wrong.

I'm glad I'm old and don't have to worry about that kinda shit but if nobody is talking that's technically not friendship: connection is the whole basis of any relationship and it sounds like there is no connection between any of you.

Sound to me that people who have grown up with smart devices may be fucked. End of Humanity folks.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Never watch a let's play? It's like that, but in person. Watched my friend beat stuff my chicken ass wouldn't play by myself like the first RE or Silent Hill.
Sure one person watches , the other plays. But they are not 2. He says there are multiple people and OP himself. Everybody looking at the screen like a zombie with no reaction? What kind of group is that.

When i watch a lets play i am usually alone. So its normal not to talk. If iam at a friends house and he shows me a new game or a lets play of a game we plan to buy the 100% is talking. How it looks, what you can do, if its fun etc.

I can see why the person playing would be silent, you have to be focused but people around usualy talk either about what is happening or random stuff.

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I had a similar issue where a group of friends would only either smoke weed and talk about nothing for hours or they wanted to just watch movies. Only these two activities and it would bore me to tears.

Me and a friend tried to convince them to play board games or do something more interactive.

In the end the group just kinda fell apart. It is what it is.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
WTF? Why weren't people wiping their asses? JFC.

OP get new friends. If we accept what you are saying at face value then you have no choice. Going to your room while people are over is not normal. If you feel you have to do that then there is something very wrong.

I'm glad I'm old and don't have to worry about that kinda shit but if nobody is talking that's technically not friendship: connection is the whole basis of any relationship and it sounds like there is no connection between any of you.

Sound to me that people who have grown up with smart devices may be fucked. End of Humanity folks.
Right now on the first page of topics is "how to take a cold shower"?

Era is full of people that don't know how to do the most basic of life tasks.