• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

herbchamberz

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, give it to me straight, I can handle the truth... My firstborn is due at the end of this year. Am I saying goodbye to video games for like 10 years or what? I'm thinking Death Stranding might sneak in as my last child-free, single-player campaign. Already starting to line up a backlog of phone games that I'll be relegated to (thanks Apple Arcade). Looking forward to the PS6 - can't wait. Lay it on me thick.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nah, it won't be that bad. You'll be dead-focused on your kid early on, but you'll get some time back for games sooner than you'd think (going by my dad & a few friends as examples). The Switch can be a godsend for the initial newborn period.

Still, congrats on your soon-to-be-born child.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, give it to me straight, I can handle the truth... My firstborn is due at the end of this year. Am I saying goodbye to video games for like 10 years or what? I'm thinking Death Stranding might sneak in as my last child-free, single-player campaign. Already starting to line up a backlog of phone games that I'll be relegated to (thanks Apple Arcade). Looking forward to the PS6 - can't wait. Lay it on me thick.
Nintendo Switch

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Parent of two here

Get a Switch for bedtime play
Embrace suspend / resume on consoles
Save the unpausables (Souls like / multiplayer) until after the kids go to bed.

It's actually easier the first year because babies simply don't do much. When they get over 12 months though, your time will decrease.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
Month 1 and 2 was pretty much bye video games but month 3-6 wasn't bad. Both my wife and I stay up late now playing after bedtime.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play at work on Switch and rarely ever dock it anymore, because I don't have time at home for video games. My 19-month-old goes to bed around 9:30 p.m., then I have to eat dinner, clean the bathtub, clean his dishes/pacifiers/bottles, walk the dogs and by the time that's done, it's time to go to bed. Maybe use remote play if you want to play PS4 games.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
When they're babies it's actually harder. Babies don't care about day/night and will wake up every other hour to eat. Gaming will be hard for a few months. Especially considering you'll need to sleep when your partner (or anyone else, really) is taking care of the baby. Take turns, it's better to have one half rested baby sitter than 2 wasted ones.

Pro tip: Be very diligent with the night routine. It takes time and effort, but if you make it, you'll have at least 3-4 hours every night for gaming.

Funtownarcade

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
No way you just got the co op partner for the rest of your life. In a few years you can start training them with Kirby.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Once they get into a bedtime routine you will gain back some hours in the evening.

Best thing is to lower your expectations and then when the opportunities arise you will be grateful.

I have 2 kids and tbh I didn't care too much but still got to game more than expected.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Nah you can still play games. It'll just take you a lot longer to finish them and you'll need to get used to being interrupted. Eventually you'll figure out a schedule that works for you.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I ain't gonna lie,I didn't game much when I had young kids.
You won't miss it though because having little kids is a lot more fun and rewarding than playing video games.
Now my two are teenagers I've plenty of time to game again,lol.

ErbilT

Oct 28, 2017
Henderson, NV.
You'll chill on gaming for the first months. Its normal and expected. As you get a grip on your new reality, you'll start to play more.

My first born is turning 8 soon and my youngest is 4. The only thing that I can really say that has changed is that I tend to focus my game time on shorter games, more arcade-style games.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
You can say goodbye for online gaming but for offline is not such a big problem. You will just have less time but may still manage to play. I have 3 kids and still find some time to play daily after everybody goes to sleep. The best thing is that when the kids start growing we can play with them together and buy them some good games instead of mobile trash that kids use to play nowadays.

Oh yeah, and after my twins were born i got addicted to roguelike games, they are perfect for short periods of plays.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah; I have way way less time for games now. My kids are 5 and 2.

I do a lot more mobile gaming and Switch gaming.

I can't play long RPGs any more because they'll take me 4-6 weeks to complete and that's just too big a chunk of my life, when I could get multiple smaller games like Control in, in that same timeframe,

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I beat more games on paternity leave than games in the prior months leading up to the birth. There's a lot of downtime with a newborn. My 5 year old now begs me to play games with them all the time. You'll manage. You might not get all day game binges, but you can fit gaming in in spurts.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I've done something like 20 hours of Diablo 3 on switch in the first week. First two days on hospital, playing with no sound (watching the baby), and then in my home in between the baby baths and feeding, since they sleep a lot in the beginning of their lives.

My baby girl is 5 months old now and I still can play, not like before, because i play with her and watch her for my wife (she's still attending college at night), but when the baby's sleeping hell yeah, gaming (or era) time!!!

Don't worry, there's always a way.

One tip: but a switch if you don't have one already

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I'm in the same boat with my 2nd born. Also thinking of going out on Death Stranding (but hoping it won't put me in a weird head space with all the baby stuff...)

As others have said, as long as you temper your expectations and put your family first, you'll be fine.
You'll need all the rest/sleep you can get early on, but once they've settled into a routine, you'll be able to get back some time to yourself.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I had two months off when my son was born and I got more gaming done in those two months than I had in the previous two years. He pretty much just fed and slept so I could pop him in a bassinet next to me and play. Now he's much more awake and alert and requires more attention so that time is slowly decreasing and I'm back at work so I don't see him all day and want to spend time with him when I get home.

Jul 10, 2018
I have a 10 month old, a few nights a week a can fit in an hour or two, no problem. I also 100%'d Yakuza Kiwami 2 with her around, and I'm very involved.

Tried the switch, that shit is just not for me.

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
I have 2 boys (3 & 4 months) and when they're sleeping ok, I can usually get 2 or 3 hours a night in. But currently the 4-month-old is waking up every hour or two so it's much harder.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
Most people exaggerate a lot. I have been a single mum since my toddler was six weeks old. She is now two and a half. I have her full time, I study at university full time, I have a chronic illness, a long distance relationship that is time consuming and other hobbies and interests and I still find time to play video games (and review them for my website)

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I'm now regularly playing co-op games like Donkey Kong Country and Snipperclips with my 3.5 years old son. It's awesome.

OP
OP
herbchamberz

herbchamberz

Oct 27, 2017
Most people exaggerate a lot. I have been a single mum since my toddler was six weeks old. She is now two and a half. I have her full time, I study at university full time, I have a chronic illness, a long distance relationship that is time consuming and other hobbies and interests and I still find time to play video games (and review them for my website)

well that's certainly reassuring. and major respect to you for being able to balance all of that!

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
Going on two years in with my daughter now and can say that you can definitely still find time and ways to game. I don't game quite as much as I did (But that's also because I study part time, work full time and do reviews in my spare time), but I still put some solid hours in.

What you might is the types of games you play or when you play games will change. I spend a lot of time while my daughter is awake playing colourful or family friendly games that are visually stimulating for her, but don't contain a lot of content that I'd prefer to hold off on exposing her to until she's a bit older. Think things like Ni no Kuni, Mario Odyssey, Stardew Valley. All games that are colourful and fun to look at, but are still fantastic experiences that hold my attention and can be easily paused if needed.

Once she's down, that's when I'll break out stuff like Gears, Man of Medan and Daemon X Machina, or multiplayer games where I can't stop without impacting the enjoyment of others.

It takes some adjustment, but you can definitely do it. Just don't feel like you HAVE to and try to force time in when you don't have it, and leave yourself feeling terrible. I definitely tried to do many things at once early on with my daughter and paid the price for it. Take care of yourself as well.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to post a thread like this, but decided to search and see if anyone else had the same question. Turns out someone did, and in the same week at that.

Thanks for all the replies in the thread. I'm not quite in the expecting stage, but we are currently thinking about having children - and my free time is something I had in the back of my mind. Would I still have it? Would I still be able to game? Comforting to see the feedback.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
I was about to post a thread like this, but decided to search and see if anyone else had the same question. Turns out someone did, and in the same week at that.

Thanks for all the replies in the thread. I'm not quite in the expecting stage, but we are currently thinking about having children - and my free time is something I had in the back of my mind. Would I still have it? Would I still be able to game? Comforting to see the feedback.

I did exactly the same and came across this thread! I have a little one due on NYE and am already preparing but there's some useful tips in here!

I've asked for a Nintendo Switch Lite for Christmas as a result...

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Since about month 6 (she's up to month 17 now) I've had 3-4 hours a night to divide up amongst reading/wife time/gaming/whatever. So I don't think it's been so bad.

The first six months you have some time but I learned to spend it sleeping more whenever possible to prepare for the night that they wake up at 2 and won't go back to sleep.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
You should play God of War. It will make you a better father.

Alcander

Oct 29, 2017
I have a daughter who is almost 2 now. Game-time definitely takes a hit, but for me, I simply wanted to play less once she was born. I think part of it is that my free time is so limited now that I felt like I was wasting it playing games, and the other part is simply a function of getting older.

The first 6-8 months isn't bad because they sleep so much, so you'll have a lot of time to play while they just snooze next to you.

Once a year hits, they don't sleep as much so you're constantly busy during the day. Thankfully they usually go to sleep early (like 6-7) and sleep a lot at night, so you can definitely game from 7 to your bedtime. The thing is, you'll be so tired from parenting that your bedtime will become much earlier (plus sleep becomes so precious).

Now that she is almost 2 and sleeps the whole night its a lot easier to game for an hour at night, or during the nap. However just realize you're basically giving up your only free time to play games, so you need to be comfortable with that - I wasn't.

Congrats and have fun! Its definitely life-changing.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I have 3 kids.

We are literally all sitting around as a family watching my 6-year-old play Link's Awakening as we speak.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Actualy sometime it make you play more. Your girlfirend have a activity, 2 childrens are sleeping, then playtime. Can happen couple of time and when they sleep the afternoon the week-end.... gaming time too. No you will continue to play OP, just you will not be able to do 10 hours the first day of a release like before....

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Babies do mostly 1 thing. Sleep. Its when they start to crawl/walk that you'll lose time to do the things you want like video games. My daughter luckily only woke up at night to eat or be changed so I didn't lose out on sleep so I wouldn't worry about losing time on my hobbies. Once they start gaining independence and holding conversations and understanding rules and what not is when the time you have for games and such will go back up. So like when they start pre-school or something.

So basically, don;t worry about it till they can get into trouble.

Sarek

Oct 27, 2017
It totally depends on the baby. Their maintenance level varies a lot which is why some people say people exaggerate about how hard it is. Temper your expectations and remember that they grow up quickly.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Lies Uncle Jessie,

I had twins and I prob played more than ever . Lol
I barely had any time to sleep, so that's how I spent most of my time.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My daughter is four and my son 18 months. You will have plenty of time to play games. That having been said, babies are amazing and will give you more joy than any game ever could. :)

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Nah, my son was born last April but somehow I platinumed Days Gone at release and finished RDR2 in June. He liked sleeping on my chest for the first few months so I'd let him stay there while I got 3-4 good hours of game time each night and my wife got some rest. Good times.

Although we named him Loki so I'm probably not the best person to take advice from about responsible parenting.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, my son was born last April but somehow I platinumed Days Gone at release and finished RDR2 in June. He liked sleeping on my chest for the first few months so I'd let him stay there while I got 3-4 good hours of game time each night and my wife got some rest. Good times.

This. Tell your wife to get some much deserved rest in the first few months and enjoy gaming while your new little one sleeps on your chest. It's great.

Also like someone else mentioned, kids will provide far more joy in your life anyways.

Congratulations...now you get both.

Alexander89

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
16-month old hyperactive baby girl here

I have a full time job, work mostly
from home though

Ive finished Judgment, Kiwami 2, Links Awakening and now Im 50 hours in DQ11 in the last month or two, lookin to finish dq, borderlands and astral chain this month..

I can get 4 hours after she goes to sleep at like 8PM and I can play during weekends if we dont go somewhere or I dont do sports since we often give her to grandparents during weekends or my wife goes by herself and the baby to her mom so I can play all sunday sometime.

Im with them almost for the whole week since Im at work only a day or two a week so its no biggie being without them for half a day. So yeah, loving my (gaming) life at the moment to be honest.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You know how some people feel a sense of satisfaction when they platinum a bloodborne or something?

Kids are 10,000 times better than that.

for the stress relief & downtime, get a Switch, look for Stadia/xCloud on phones, and look at your other hobbies to see what will be prioritized over the others.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
You'll be fine. May just need to adjust when you play. The first few months all they do is sleep anyway.

My son turned one yesterday and I still play plenty but mostly after he goes to bed and that's by 7pm.