• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
staff post - stay on topic

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Alright let's try this again. We've had to lock two VGC awards threads in recent days because people haven't been able to act like adults. For the record yesterday we reviewed the Phil Spencer thread and issued a large number of bans for Sony console warriors who derailed it – what we found was that the thread was fine, initially, and nobody cared about Transistor's lukewarm take about PR until some usual suspects decided to turn the thread into a battleground. Those usual suspects are now banned.

The "retaliation" or whatever you want to call it in the PS4 thread is equally embarrassing and all of it, on both sides, is going to stop here and now. There has to be a way to discuss these awards, and even disagree about these awards, without trying to troll other members off of the site. So here's how we're going to do this.
  • Stay laser focused on the topic. Trying to make the discussion about other members, other threads, previous drama, the staff or other metacommentary, will result in a long ban.
  • You can criticize the award choice if you want, but your posts must be well thought out and reasonably presented. If it looks like you're just here to stir shit, you will be banned. We will be checking post histories so don't try to be slick.
  • Do not attack other members personally. If you see someone you think might be breaking the rules, report them and move on. Do not get into a back and forth, otherwise you might be banned along with them.
There will be no warnings issued in these threads anymore, and ban lengths will escalate as hard as necessary to keep the peace. Staff will have very little patience for anyone trying to game these rules or cause drama.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Phil really did turn Xbox around. He's done a lot of great things for the platform.

Game Pass was a great idea. I don't like everything being tied to a sub personally, but the concept and execution is great.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Dude is definitely the most influential public facing person in a major video game corporation right now, and he seems to have had a hand in some big chances in Xbox that are helping to right the ship for them. Can't honestly think of anyone else this would be right now.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Deserved for the Gamepass push and even more deserved given his work on accessibility since 2016 and likely before given R & D time.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
As I've mentioned in the other thread, I don't really have much issue with Phil Spencer, but I'm less interested in awards like this being given to executives and such over developers.

Oct 26, 2018
Official Staff Communication
Alright let's try this again. We've had to lock two VGC awards threads in recent days because people haven't been able to act like adults. For the record yesterday we reviewed the Phil Spencer thread and issued a large number of bans for Sony console warriors who derailed it – what we found was that the thread was fine, initially, and nobody cared about Transistor's lukewarm take about PR until some usual suspects decided to turn the thread into a battleground. Those usual suspects are now banned.

The "retaliation" or whatever you want to call it in the PS4 thread is equally embarrassing and all of it, on both sides, is going to stop here and now. There has to be a way to discuss these awards, and even disagree about these awards, without trying to troll other members off of the site. So here's how we're going to do this.
  • Stay laser focused on the topic. Trying to make the discussion about other members, other threads, previous drama, the staff or other metacommentary, will result in a long ban.
  • You can criticize the award choice if you want, but your posts must be well thought out and reasonably presented. If it looks like you're just here to stir shit, you will be banned. We will be checking post histories so don't try to be slick.
  • Do not attack other members personally. If you see someone you think might be breaking the rules, report them and move on. Do not get into a back and forth, otherwise you might be banned along with them.
There will be no warnings issued in these threads anymore, and ban lengths will escalate as hard as necessary to keep the peace. Staff will have very little patience for anyone trying to game these rules or cause drama.
Not to pry or anything, but what did transistor say? I stayed away from the last thread because ik how most like that would end but did what he say cause that much backlash?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
The only corporate guy who actually seem to enjoy gaming and knows what he's talking about. Can't disagree.

His interview with Dropped Frames was great.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
very well deserved... 👍he saved Xbox, driving change and innovation in the industry and has given Xbox fans so much to look forward to... also #30by2021👍

Last edited:

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
That interview about him saying that he was the last option for Xbox leadership made me really like the dude. He appears to be humble and really love what he does. We wouldn't have Xbox nowadays without him.

I wish he was my friend.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, in terms of video game personas, I can't really think of anyone who would really take his place this year (maybe Geoff Keighley or Druckmann, but they haven't done as much) so this makes sense. Phil is a spokesperson as the head of Xbox and definitely seems like the direction he is taking the Xbox brand is working (sucks that there were no real exclusives for launch, but games take time to make). I am curious how much of his talk of being a gamer first is PR talk versus actually from the heart, but the reality is that Gamepass and his general direction for Xbox has been great for many people.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
He has turned the ship around. Putting pieces/players in the right spot. Playing the inside Microsoft game with getting the support of MS behind him and the Xbox division. Moving Xbox to support MS as a service company. Creating a dialogue around a Netflix like subscription model and being the first to successfully implement. Really doing somethings that are moving the ball forward in the gaming world (whether you agree or not with how they are doing—it's different).

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Phil will always be the GOAT for buying Obsidian and giving them budget.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 7 billion spent on Bethesda was just to get a Fallout New Vegas sequel. Bless him.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
As I've mentioned in the other thread, I don't really have much issue with Phil Spencer, but I'm less interested in awards like this being given to executives and such over developers.

It's hard for an award like this to skew towards individual developers, since it's supposed to be around being able to make a sizeable impact in the industry.

How would you even be able to drill down to one specific developer out of a team of devs?

Alexander89

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Platform Warring, Ignoring Staff Post
I dont think spending billions of dollars on studios and games on gamepass is deserving an award like this. We have been hearing a lot of stuff from him yet Ms, unlike Sony and Nintendo, releases just a few good exclusives every year, if any at all.

I think he would make a good politician though, people love when he tweets and defend him everytime.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard for an award like this to skew towards individual developers, since it's supposed to be around being able to make a sizeable impact in the industry.

How would you even be able to drill down to one specific developer out of a team of devs?
pretty much. it'd be hard to name a single developer who's had as much impact recently, or to single out a developer out of a whole team.

I dont think spending billions of dollars on studios and games on gamepass is deserving an award tlike thus. We have been hearing a lot of stuff from him yet Ms, unlike Sony and Nintendo, releases just a few good exclusives every year, if any at all.
what about things like game pass, accessibility with the adaptive controller, promoting cross play, bringing XGS games to other platforms, turning around an almost dead platform, do those not count?

and just this year XGS released several great games, them being exclusive or not shouldn't really matter.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the exact wording, but the gist was that Phil was a glorified PR person. Others took that idea further.
That's a very loaded spin on what he said. He said something to the effect that Phil is a PR person, and while that's not strictly true in terms of his job title and the stuff he does that we don't see, he does a lot of PR and the things he says in interviews are indeed PR.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Phil is what the gaming industry needed. The moment he was handed the reins to the division, he went into overdrive--Game Pass, adaptive controller, buying out all the Fig.co devs, Bethesda...and now Xbox is on the most frightening and exciting upward trajectory it's ever been on. It's going to be wild to look back on all this once the pipeline's completed a full dev cycle. He turned around a brand that seemed like it was trying to tank itself and it'll be almost impossible to ignore in a couple years' time.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Disregarding Mod Post; Cross Thread Drama
That's a very loaded spin on what he said. He said something to the effect that Phil is a PR person, and while that's not strictly true in terms of his job title and the stuff he does that we don't see, he does a lot of PR and the things he says in interviews are indeed PR.
He said that Phil is a PR person and that the award should go to someone championing accessibility in gaming lmao.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Biggest loss of E3 was Spencer not on the Giant Bomb After Hours couch.
This was hoping they would have at least done a zoom but I guess it's just not the same.

Phil is front of center for video games not just Xbox so it's only right that he gets recognized for the work he is putting into the industry. I'm pretty convinced if he wasn't in charge I would not be playing an Xbox right now.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are people really going down this road again, mod warning and all? Just drop it and move on.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Phil is what the gaming industry needed. The moment he was handed the reins to the division, he went into overdrive--Game Pass, adaptive controller, buying out all the Fig.co devs, Bethesda...and now Xbox is on the most frightening and exciting upward trajectory it's ever been on. It's going to be wild to look back on all this once the pipeline's completed a full dev cycle. He turned around a brand that seemed like it was trying to tank itself and it'll be almost impossible to ignore in a couple years' time.
He is set on delivering E rated and japanese games nexxt, it will take time but I think he will deliver.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Not seeing any problems with picking Phil. There's been a lot of positives coming out of Microsoft in the last year and a half.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
He's done an amazing job with the Xbox brand and is a genuinely positive force in the industry, so it's definitely deserved.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Somebody in the other thread suggested that Geoff Keighley would be their other suggestion for 2020 and, after thinking on it, I think it's a solid choice alongside Phil.

I know that the Summer Game Fest didn't replace E3 to the same degree for most fans but to have one central person step up to the plate and really try to pull all of this stuff together to celebrate gaming and where it's going - in a crucial platform release year, in the middle of an unprecedented pandemic - really deserves a lot of kudos.

The way Geoff stepped up so quickly and worked with so many pubs/devs/platform holders/etc to create what was essentially a months and months long promo event was super impressive. And much needed. And I think, even if some of us really missed E3 not being here, we all appriciated it.

Just wanted to throw that in there.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
The excitement he brings to the brand is a joy to behold. You can tell he's really committed to bring his vision to reality and that he will spare no expense to make it happen. He's also an all around cool dude.

Hubi

Nov 13, 2017
2020 was a hell of a year. Spencer made xbox to launch two consoles, to officially launch XCloud, to buy zenimax and to go big with gamepass. He had an impressive year

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, in terms of video game personas, I can't really think of anyone who would really take his place this year (maybe Geoff Keighley or Druckmann, but they haven't done as much) so this makes sense. Phil is a spokesperson as the head of Xbox and definitely seems like the direction he is taking the Xbox brand is working (sucks that there were no real exclusives for launch, but games take time to make). I am curious how much of his talk of being a gamer first is PR talk versus actually from the heart, but the reality is that Gamepass and his general direction for Xbox has been great for many people.
He games a lot actually. He is always playing Destiny. I am sure he had a personal hand in getting D2 to GP. And before all of this he was a developer so he is legit in my book.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't meant to be a loaded spin at all. It's about what I remembered. I don't think I said anything inflammatory in my quick synopsis of the post. If you'd like to dig it up and post it then please feel free to do so.
Managing a multi-billion dollar business is quite far from being a PR person even if PR is part of the job. PR is part of any high-profile job whether the President, a NFL QB, CEO, etc... It's so common in upper-echelon jobs that it's not really pointing out, IMO.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
1. He got what was an anemic first party studios and started adding developers onto it. I honestly thought that Microsoft had one of the better development teams around before they announced that they had an agreement to acquire Bethesda. He once stated that he wanted to have an industry leading first party organization.......if the Bethesda deal does go through, he will have delivered on that point.

2. In the next gen speculation threads, I loved the idea of a cheaper console that could play your next generation games at a lower resolution. It is something that makes gaming accessible to people that might not have the cash to splash on a $500 console. This is even more important when you consider just how few price cuts we have had this generation.

Still on this topic, they released an accessibility controller and did not lock it to their system either.

3. Game Pass! The best subscription service in gaming.

Phil Spencer took over a division that was not in a great place, and together with the backing of the CEO, they are righting the ship. The hardware is there, the services and online ecosystem are there, and this past year was a great year for Xbox owned game studios.

Really do not care whether he wins an award or not, but as someone who primarily plays on Xbox consoles since the original, this is the best version of Xbox. This version of Xbox, especially if it does well, is one that will move the industry forward.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Honestly, as far as gaming goes, Phil Spencer is the person of the generation imo.

Not only did he fix the disastrous downward spiral the Xbox One was going through, he helped usher in Game Pass...the single best deal in gaming.

That is a game changer. Making Xbox competitive again is a pretty big deal.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I won't pretend I'm not biased considering my employer, but even if Phil Spencer was "just a PR person"....so what?

To me we shouldn't be reductive of any discipline related to video games. Whether it's a programmer, a 2D artist, a 3D modeler, an animator, someone in PR, or marketing, or a QA tester, or an executive, or anyone else - everyone involved in gaming is just as "legitimate" as anyone else and just as deserving of an award if someone decides the merits exist to give it out.

Statements like "just a PR person" are along the same lines of toxic conversation which declares that some disciplines are "not actual game developers" because they don't write code or whatever.

One of the things Phil has pushed for across the industry is more inclusivity and that goes along with the mindset that we shouldn't view anyone as "lesser".

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Phil Spencer really turned Xbox around. From almost having the Xbox division sold off to having MS invest over 10 billion dollars in acquisitions over the console gen is incredible.
Phil has cemented gaming as a market in which MS as a whole is fully investing in now.

Well deserved to Phil.

All that's left is to bring Mechassault back.

Biggest loss of E3 was Spencer not on the Giant Bomb After Hours couch.
Truth.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this VGC chronicles first person of the year award? If not, I'd be interested in seeing past winners.

Anyway, Congrats Phil.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I sold my Xbox one very early on last gen. if it wasn't for the changes made under Spencer no chance would I have given them another chance. Ps5 ismy primary console but series x is a great machine and game pass is the game changer. Already played 3 games on the service