• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
New York
They may not be hearing it yet, but they will sooner or later. Good thing there's a chance that some compatible nvme drives might come out eventually. I'm more chaffed about them removing folders! All I want for my consoles is folders!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
lol

I'm a working man with not enough time to game and I usually have 6 to 10 games installed.

Of course if I don't have a choice gun to my head I can uninstall half of them. That's still bloody annoying knowing I'll have to re-download them in a month or two.

And where I live I don't have data caps.
Downloading games takes less than 20-30 mins max now. On halfway decent internet. Its not like it was where you even have to wait for stuff to install anymore. HELL you can download to your system when you are on your way home from the app if you have it in rest mode. Like where are you all coming up with all these issues as some major inconvenience.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
how many hours are you spending on all these games?
How does it matter? Many of these games I only play an hour or two per month average. Others are an hour or two per week. It's cool that I don't have to redownload them every time I wanna take a spin at any of them. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Won't be an issue for me. I only ever have 3 games max installed.

Which will only be 2 on PS5 as I'll use my Pro for factions

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Another Jim Ryan thread where it becomes painfully obvious we reached the 'bitch eating crackers' stage long ago.

PS5 will probably go onto be one of the most sold home consoles of all time, have the most engaged audience they ever had and make them more money than ever before but people will surely still be crying about how bad he is at how job.

He has access to data we could only dream of having with regards to usage across the biggest console playerbase right now in a company going on nearly 30 years that have sold 4 out of 5 of the biggest selling home consoles of all time and yet people will continually criticise the decisions being made or the statements he said.

All of this seemingly stemmed from the one time he said "why would anyone play old games" when referencing going back to an old Gran Turismo when you have newer ones available.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
How does it matter? Many of these games I only play an hour or two per month average. Others are an hour or two per week. It's cool that I don't have to redownload them every time I wanna take a spin at any of them. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.
okay so you can do that from your bed to start to install? Its hard to understand when if you even remotely know when you are at work you want to play a diff game and have your system in rest mode you can come home to your game installed. There are so many options here.

I don't really know anything about this sort of stuff but shouldn't they be more interested in appeasing the people who buy 20 games compared to the people who buy 2? Or is that ratio just so skewed in favour of the casual market that it doesn't really matter?
There are far less people buying 20 games than there are people who buy 2. Its literally a volume thing. enthusiasts will evangelize products sure. But the middle mass market is where all the money is made.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Having an external storage/expansion option for your new games isn't unreasonable to expect, full stop, and I think the way the answer brushes that aside is why it comes across so silly.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Downloading games takes less than 20-30 mins max now. On halfway decent internet. Its not like it was where you even have to wait for stuff to install anymore. HELL you can download to your system when you are on your way home from the app if you have it in rest mode. Like where are you all coming up with all these issues as some major inconvenience.
It takes two days for me to DL a random 100GB game. If all works well a 60GB game is downloaded in slightly less than 24h. Yeah I know my fault for having shitty internet yadda yadda.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Another Jim Ryan thread where it becomes painfully obvious we reached the 'bitch eating crackers' stage long ago.

PS5 will probably go onto be one of the most sold home consoles of all time, have the most engaged audience they ever had and make them more money than ever before but people will surely still be crying about how bad he is at how job.

He has access to data we could only dream of having with regards to usage across the biggest console playerbase right now in a company going on nearly 30 years that have sold 4 out of 5 of the biggest selling home consoles of all time and yet people will continually criticise the decisions being made or the statements he said.

All of this seemingly stemmed from the one time he said "why would anyone play old games" when referencing going back to an old Gran Turismo when you have newer ones available.
I mean look at how they exposed everyones play time finally on PS5, they knew a long time ago about peoples habits and tracking peoples play time in games, its easy to see how they are making these decisions its all data driven and not armchair forum anecdotes. Which is how you should be running a company anyway.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

The point is he's terrible at PR. Not at his job. At least that's my take.
Anyway...this is ERA. No one in the real world even talks about all this.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm not dying for more space right now because I have an external 2TB drive I attached for my ps4 games.

I'll buy a internal expansion drive when they release them by that time ps5 games will be more available.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Having an external storage/expansion option for your new games isn't unreasonable to expect, full stop, and I think the way the answer brushes that aside is why it comes across so silly.

I mean, it's gonna come. You guys act like it's never going to be solved or you can't wait 6 months to a year until drives are certified/available to be added into the PS5. The SSD in the PS5 is absolute cutting edge and it's just unreasonable to expect that expansion possibilities would be available at launch.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
"only enthusiasts care about this"
Yeah, the same ones who account for most of the software sold.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Sure, if you have good internet 20-30 minutes but, if you live in an area with shitty internet (like me) you're talking about several hours.
I'm seriously questioning the truthfulness of your arguments, or your life choices, or both. I suspect some people on here have hoarding disorders that they should look into getting treated.
Ah yes, people must have a mental illness for wanting more storage??? Wtf is this take?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, it's gonna come. You guys act like it's never going to be solved or you can't wait 6 months to a year until drives are certified/available to be added into the PS5. The SSD in the PS5 is absolute cutting edge and it's just unreasonable to expect that expansion possibilities would be available at launch.
We're now at the point where asking to plug an external drive for additional storage is unreasonable.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I mean yeah. Lol I get some people not being happy at the moment. But once they have NVME drives that support up to 8TB plus which already does all External up to 8TB then what?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean look at how they exposed everyones play time finally on PS5, they knew a long time ago about peoples habits and tracking peoples play time in games, its easy to see how they are making these decisions its all data driven and not armchair forum anecdotes. Which is how you should be running a company anyway.
Yep.

I learned how little many people here knew about the industry when it came to all of the criticisms about the marketing for ps5 being terrible but it went on to drive insane engagement and interest for the product.

People ill-equiped at judging a situation but thinking they are experts.
But even then I don't particularly think he is.

A bit corporate maybe but ever since that backwards compatibility comment many people have written anything he says off and clearly just have a chip on their shoulder about him.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I mean "most gamers" will have

FIFA 21
CoD
Fortnite
Rocket league
GTA

And thats pretty much there entire line up. It will fit easily on the PS5.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sure, if you have good internet 20-30 minutes but, if you live in an area with shitty internet (like me) you're talking about several hours.
so yes this is a point however, if you know your internet is shitty why would you even look to buy digital instead of disk, and then you are only worrying about updates only.
Yep.

I learned how little many people here knew about the industry when it came to all of the criticisms about the marketing for ps5 being terrible but it went on to drive insane engagement and interest for the product.

People ill-equiped at judging a situation but thinking they are experts.
I mean none of these companies are perfect etc, they are very capable of doing dumb stuff, but something like this is really a non issue for the lifetime of the product. especially when they have an internal off the shelf solution that i expect will be within the next 6 months and already a external solution for older games. The only people I could see having any storage anxiety in a year plus from now would but straight digital owners but anyone with a disk has several options Since they can install off disk, can start playing the game while it installs etc.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
There's also data that this is day 6 and the number of people who have already filled even half of their storage is probably very small.

The average console owner buys something like 8-12 games over the entire life time, considering the current size of Demon's Souls, Spiderman, the console can roughly fit that number of games.

BC also already has expansion options

It's bad optics, but he's not wrong.
It's not bad optics. The data they talked about was not about PS5 launch, it's about gameplay statistics accumulated from the PS4 generation. If 80% of gamers are fine with 825, and 20% need an expansion, it was a much better choice on the BOM to allow non-proprietary expansion than adding $50 or $100 on the BOM for 80% who don't need it, and still not be enough for those who want 2TB or 3TB. It's also a much better choice to have an extremely fast SSD in the long run for the rest of the generation even if it's not fully exploited at launch.

It's funny because Mark Cerny said exactly the same thing, they have game usage data from the entire ps4 generation showing the majority would be fine with 825, and the hardcore would upgrade hence the expansion. But it didn't fill Era with "I fucking hate him, he's like don mattrick amirite!".

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you about the PS4 storage, but also games were much smaller back then so 500gb went further. Also the OS didn't take up as significant a chunk of that storage space.
That's true, games were 5-50gb and it was more manageable. I ended up putting a 2tb in my PS4 anyways! So it's a little scary to think of what storage requirements will be like in a few years!

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
A bit corporate maybe but ever since that backwards compatibility comment many people have written anything he says off and clearly just have a chip on their shoulder about him.

That's on them really.
He didn't lie though. How many people would actually play Gran Turismo 2 on a PS5 if they got the chance? 0.5% of all PS5 owners? (no idea, just throwing a number)
Is that worth the investment?

I'm sure he has access to numbers we don't. Sony isn't doing this for 25 years and winning every single consoel generation but one just by luck.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Hence why an answer of "it's coming, and we have high testing standards and want to be sure things are solid when we deploy" would be a better answer than "we're not hearing that it's a problem." The speed-rating/certification is certainly a challenge for running PS5 software directly, but storing files as a local backup isn't a traditional challenge, engineering-wise. That's something that will be welcome when it arrives.

And please don't put words in my mouth; Nothing I said could be construed as "it's never going to be solved." Stop having an argument with something I never said.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You can add in 2 or 3 extra big games like spidey etc etc and they still have some space .
And COD you can pick and choose what you install or even use. There are a lot of options. I just dont see this as any issue that is major and/or will be solved once they start enabling SSDs to work in the system which would more than likely support up to 8TB. And if they enable cold storage as well thats another 8TB thats 16 TB. Anyone that needs more than that I honestly don't know what to tell them.
Hence why an answer of "it's coming, and we have high testing standards and want to be sure things are solid when we deploy" would be a better answer than "we're not hearing that it's a problem." The speed-rating/certification is certainly a challenge for running PS5 software directly, but storing files as a local backup isn't a traditional challenge, engineering-wise. That's something that will be welcome when it arrives.
so clearly you more have issue with what was said and who said it vs reality of this really not being an issue.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
You can add in 2 or 3 extra big games like spidey etc etc and they still have some space .

And those big games will probably one and do e as well, most gamers don't keep games installed after finishing them, or if they do they just delete them when it says storage full because they're done with. Storage space on PS5 and Series X are really just problems for Era.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
That's true, games were 5-50gb and it was more manageable. I ended up putting a 2tb in my PS4 anyways! So it's a little scary to think of what storage requirements will be like in a few years!
Lol yep, I played most multiplatform on my One X and I have a 3TB external HDD. Definitely going to spend a lot on external storage this gen.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sony 'not listening to' PS5 storage criticism, says PlayStation CEO

Fixed.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Compared to most of ERA, I'd consider myself closer to the average consumer than a "core gamer." I play soccer games, I play the big games that come out, I pick up indies as I see them on sale. I am totally fine selling games and think hoarding games on the HDD is silly.

I have Uncharted 4 (63GB), God of War (45GB), Persona 5 (18GB), Astro (2GB), PES 2021 (40GB) and The Last of Us (47GB) installed on my PS5 and Miles Morales (105 GB) yet to be installed. Planning to pick up FF7R (100GB), Tony Hawk (60GB) and FIFA 21 (50GB) on Black Friday. I expect these games will hold me over until Spring. That's 530 GB for a handful of games. I still want to install MH World once I pick up Iceborne on sale as well. To have basically filled up my usable space at launch is wild (knowing I'll be deelting some games like God of War as I beat them, but also knowing those will be replaced with big games as I get to them) it feels like a tone deaf statement from him.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely believe that we've now reached a point where people just dislike him and are going to rip apart everything he says. Even when he's talking sense the threads end up like this.
Yup that's basically what's happening, people will take everything he says and get outraged about it for no reason. It's the same people that will defend others no matter what they say.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't really understand the "casual gamer" defense. You install Call of Duty and NBA and you're basically done. It's nonsense and I wouldn't even mind if they had a solution ready for expanding storage, but like a lot of other problems with the PS5 - they don't.
I hate the storage space too but that's some hyperbole you've got there. black ops is around 100 GB as is NBA

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who packs an external to the brim. I have to wonder how many games are you all playing? Are we complaining because we can't really juggle 10+ next gen games that we are actively playing or are we complaining because collectors habit for digital library?

Been full digital since ps4 launch, sure it kinda sucks if you like to have your own back up and I'm sure they will sort the cold storage stuff out. But I can't even beging to be upset with what advantages we have gained.

Yes it's a slight step backwards for better steps in the right direction. We got past that hurdle of consoles being mediocre laptops to some great choices in hardware design and immediately grab the pitchfork for the smallest issues. I don't even like Jim Ryan but I feel like some of you have an agenda against him it's kind of ridiculous.

They knew this would be an issue for some they designed some options specifically for that. Unfortunately it's not up to snuff day one but it will get sorted. Calm down you can still pay more money for more storage eventually and not drive the cost of the console price up because it doesn't fit your enthusiast needs out the box. Its actually kinda ridiculous to even complain about this with an internal bay built in.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
The disk space is shit, no defending it. I have 3 disc based games (CoD, Miles Morales, and 2k21) taking up over half of my hard drive.

May 12, 2020
I used GameFly so when I play a game and finish it I send it back and delete. I went through all of the PS4 generation with a 500GB drive. No issues here with the amount of storage PS5 has.

Jun 23, 2019

Because Jim is a businessman and knows how to run his business. If the data is telling him one thing and it helps them sell, he's going to do it. The issue is that it rubs the hardcore on Era the wrong way when we are the minority. The rest of the world doesn't care about these things the way we do.