• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's really what baffles me about this dialogue. You'd think some people on here have 20-25 games that they play in constant rotation that they absolutely cannot uninstall for whatever reason. And whenever you bring up that argument, they're like "But what if the games are COD, Destiny 2, NBA, and every single largest game on the system" where you theoretically can only have 10 of those installed simultaneously. And to that I say, if your concern in life is that you can't concurrently alternate between playing 10+ titles at any given time, I'm seriously questioning the truthfulness of your arguments, or your life choices, or both. I suspect some people on here have hoarding disorders that they should look into getting treated.

The issue is, some folks DO have evergreen titles on their consoles that take up a huge chunk of space. All it takes is one or two long-tail games with huge storage footprints (ESO, Warframe, CoD, etc) and your latitude and flexibility as pertaining to storage is reduced considerably.

Feb 15, 2019
He's right but he should still stop talking. It's definitely true that the vast majority of people will not give a shit about the space. Those people however will also never read this interview. The people who do read these interviews are the people who might run out of space. Saying that doesn't bring anything to the table except piss some of those people off.

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
The fact is that for casuals it's not a super big deal... yet. The gen only started so we will see when more exclusives come out. PS4 only launched with 500gb and we all bought it anyway, but I also know many of us upgraded the internal storage.

Personally, every time Jim Ryan opens his mouth I cringe at how detached he is from the hardcore PlayStation fans.

Oct 27, 2017
Comments like this astound me when as a hardware manufacturer, publisher and platform holder you have all the data to be able to understand:
  • The average size of the most popular games
  • The likely increase of final asset size for next gen
  • How many of these games individual users have in their collection
  • Data caps effect on the users in your largest market
In addition backwards compatibility means you also know users will be using at least some of that space for older games (which are still reasonably large). Sure user testing on the prototype would've prioritised the need for alternative storage solutions?
I mean he clearly says they examined how games were installed on the PS4 and will most definitely do so with the PS5. This is basically what Mark Cerny said in March when they arrived at the 825Gb number. I doubt he's saying this without any sort of data to back it up.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Comments like this astound me when as a hardware manufacturer, publisher and platform holder you have all the data to be able to understand:
In addition backwards compatibility means you also know users will be using at least some of that space for older games (which are still reasonably large). Sure user testing on the prototype would've prioritised the need for alternative storage solutions?
You can have PS4 Games all on external thats 8 TB, Internal drive will support up at minimum 4TB and more than likely 8 too. So where does that leave people? Clearly at launch and up to the next 3 up to 6 months there aren't that many PS5 only games that would warrant more than a few outliers to demand PS5 space. But clearly all that will be in place within that time.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong. I dunno how ppl are running out of space day 1 unless they just downloading/buying stuff just to do it.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Personally, every time Jim Ryan opens his mouth I cringe at how detached he is from the hardcore PlayStation fans.

I genuinely believe that we've now reached a point where people just dislike him and are going to rip apart everything he says. Even when he's talking sense the threads end up like this.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
That's really what baffles me about this dialogue. You'd think some people on here have 20-25 games that they play in constant rotation that they absolutely cannot uninstall for whatever reason. And whenever you bring up that argument, they're like "But what if the games are COD, Destiny 2, NBA, and every single largest game on the system" where you theoretically can only have 10 of those installed simultaneously. And to that I say, if your concern in life is that you can't concurrently alternate between playing 10+ titles at any given time, I'm seriously questioning the truthfulness of your arguments, or your life choices, or both. I suspect some people on here have hoarding disorders that they should look into getting treated.
You can fill 600 GB with 10 60GB games (which are more or less the norm now).

It's true that some may be hoarding a bit too much. But 10 games on a semi-regular rotation isn't unreasonable at all.

Also, telling customers "well, you can always uninstall some games 🤷‍♀️ " is some Don Mattrick level of BS reply.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that they have to come out and say this means they're hearing it loud and clear, probably just don't have a solution for this year

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, in a way he's not wrong. The attach rate for the common consumer is very low. It's mostly the enthusiasts who are going to need more storage space, and we're pretty much a minority. That's not to say I'm happy with this messaging, but it's true from an analytics perspective.
I don't really know anything about this sort of stuff but shouldn't they be more interested in appeasing the people who buy 20 games compared to the people who buy 2? Or is that ratio just so skewed in favour of the casual market that it doesn't really matter?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know anything about this sort of stuff but shouldn't they be more interested in appeasing the people who buy 20 games compared to the people who buy 2? Or is that ratio just so skewed in favour of the casual market that it doesn't really matter?

The bulk of console sales at the end of the day are made by the casual market. That's what keeps platforms going in the long run. The hardcore base is consistent but not the majority.

That being SAID, making overtures to ensure that your hardcore base are catered to and listened to is important. You can't just shrug your shoulders and go "well the casual customer won't use this, so we don't need it".

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, in a way he's not wrong. The attach rate for the common consumer is very low. It's mostly the enthusiasts who are going to need more storage space, and we're pretty much a minority. That's not to say I'm happy with this messaging, but it's true from an analytics perspective.

Thing even with some enthusiasts it's not a problem so you have the numbers being even smaller .
I know some people don't like to hear this stuff but they most likely have so much data on these sort of things.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It's true that some may be hoarding a bit too much. But 10 games on a semi-regular rotation isn't unreasonable at all.

Also, telling customers "well, you can always uninstall some games 🤷‍♀️ " is some Don Mattrick level of BS reply.

The alternative would be to release a model that has more space but come up to 100 usd or more, that might hit not the sweet spot in terms of price and attractiveness.

May 22, 2018
At this point in time I would agree. I have COD, Bugsnax, Godfall, Demon's Souls, Valhalla, Sackboy, Dirt 5, and all my apps installed, and I still have 322 gigs of space. Sure, this could be an issue down the line, but by that point I'll either be done with some of these games and uninstall or buy additional storage.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The bulk of console sales at the end of the day are made by the casual market. That's what keeps platforms going in the long run. The hardcore base is consistent but not the majority.

That being SAID, making overtures to ensure that your hardcore base are catered to and listened to is important. You can't just shrug your shoulders and go "well the casual customer won't use this, so we don't need it".
This. Plus you'd be surprised at how some "casual gamers" actually play games. Some buy quite a few games a year.

Also man I hate these "it's a problem for us the elite, the plebs will have no problem with that 🧐 " stances.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The alternative would be to release a model that has more space but come up to 100 usd or more, that might hit not the sweet spot in terms of price and attractiveness.
The "alternative" would be to allow plugging an external drive so you can easily shuffle around the games you'll play in a week or two, but not tonight and tomorrow.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Jim really needs to work on his PR game. Having less than a terabyte for games in 2020 is not going to be enough for enthusiasts who are the ones buying consoles at launch.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I mean... they could have done better (I think the space is good enough for launch console, consindering is also a super fast SSD!).
But shame on games that take a ridicolous amount of space... yes COD, i'm talking about you.
Some optimization is needed here.
For what I remember DS is around 70GB
Spiderman Morales too.
The remake of Spiderman is around 100GB
So why COD should take around 280GB? I mean the difference is HUGE. O_O
I don't know where you got those numbers.

Demon's Souls is 33.09 GB
Miles Morales is 39.05 GB
SM: Remastered is 53.68 GB

Or have optional additional storage for PS5 games available at launch I suppose.

This really would have been the best solution and I'm surprised they didn't have one ready.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I honestly dont understand the dialogue around this either, I get some people are way way deep in the hobby but there are so many hours in the day unless you are spending every waking moment playing multiple titles there is almost no way other than just wanting to have some satsifiaction of a libray of games and on top of that it gets even wilder since most enthusiasts aren't even going to buy the digital version and want disks to have as well, especially if they care about preservation of their library. Like I'm reasonable about this stuff. I get it. I seen some people on here that even fill up 8TB drives of games and I'm like to do that that is insane to even me.

I get people wanting more storage but it Seems more of a storage anxiety thing and a non issue for a vast majority of people, even some of the hardcore.

like prime example you know what I did when I got my PS5, I totally wiped my PS4 I didnt even care about all the game videos I had, because you know what I'm never even going to watch them again. I get we are on an enthusiast forum but at the same time it doesnt invalidate that sometimes peoples Concerns on certain things are so out of touch with reality and we should be able to call it out as such.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I installed everything I wanted to on my PS5 this first week, and I still have 300+GB left. Some of the games seem well optimized for space, while a few games are almost comically oversized like COD. I imagine as companies get settled into the new generation you'll see Sony and Xbox working with third parties to get aggressive about disk space.

So while Jim should make sure people have options to expand their storage, he is completely right that most people probably never run into space issues. Especially if you're the handful of games a year type of person like most casual gamers.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

10 games is a huge amount even on rotation .
Not even some hardcore do that .

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a valid problem (and insulting to say otherwise) that will be addressed as soon as they enable the M.2 slot and/or at least enable cold-storage for PS5 games externally. The PS5 does have a unique storage problem during the launch window, and pretending it doesn't just adds to any underlying frustration.

I'm seriously questioning the truthfulness of your arguments, or your life choices, or both. I suspect some people on here have hoarding disorders that they should look into getting treated.

Maybe tone down your "diagnosis," and consider that others can disagree with you without having a disorder.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know how the reaction will be here, but I want to remind everyone that ERA is its own bubble so take that as you will.

So much this, most people arent buying huge amounts of digital games and wanting them all installed at one time. Most people are only playing one big game, IE Fifa, Fortnite, COD, etc... these drives are plenty big for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I mean he's right in this moment in time. 660? is...satisfactory for most users right now. I'm also sure that in the coming months they'll have new matrices that tell them differently

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
Not going to be an issue for me either. Maybe if I had Digital Edition I would? But even then...
I think most of the discussions surrounding these consoles right know is nitpicking. People are basically making stuff up based on non situations. Not that people don't have the right to do that.

That said, I think it would be nice if both Mr. Ryan and Mr. Spencer would shut it a little about these things it would be good. Can't help but feel that even if they say things on a good basis on these interviews, you can feel them feeling themselves.

I'm all about the games. Let the games do the talking.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Fast-tracking slow storage for PS5 games on external drives would go a long way while they're working on expandable fast storage.

Even if they're really not "hearing" these concerns, why exchange goodwill to stand their ground on this when they can just reiterate that they're looking into it. Easy W. Sony's PR has been a bit baffling lately.

Last edited:

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
These guys should listen.

I understand that cost budget needed to be kept in check. But at least say that you are listening....

I got a 1TB Seagate expansion for the Series X, because I knew it was going to be an issue.

2Tb would have been an ideal baseline for both PS5 and XSX. I understand though...

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's a funny one cos you mention the series s and people say it's fine, most have a few games on their console, but then you mention PS5 and it's not enough space for all those game...

Personally I need more but realise that base console needs to be good value to those that don't. So I can live with expanding it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

It is to me. how many hours are you spending on all these games? Like i looked at my game time list. You know how many games is even spent significant time over the lifetime of the PS4? It was less than 20 games. I think people need to start posting their playtimes on games because that part of the exact data sony used to gauge how people are consuming games.
These guys should listen.

I understand that cost budget needed to be kept in check. But at least say that you are listening....

I got a 1TB Seagate expansion for the Series X, because I knew it was going to be an issue.

2Tb would have been an ideal baseline for both PS5 and XSX. I understand though...
I honestly think its ridiculous that anyone bought that drive at launch. You couldve waited at least a few years before expanding and saving money. I really think a lot of folks need to get away from their storage anxieties.

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely believe that we've now reached a point where people just dislike him and are going to rip apart everything he says. Even when he's talking sense the threads end up like this.
It's an enthusiast gaming forum, you are going to be hard pressed to find people here who are satisfied with 825gb of storage. I'm sure some people are able to fill that up rather quickly.

He's not wrong with his statement, but for hardcore gamers he is.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
10 games is a huge amount even on rotation .
Not even some hardcore do that .
lol

I'm a working man with not enough time to game and I usually have 6 to 10 games installed.

Of course if I don't have a choice gun to my head I can uninstall half of them. That's still bloody annoying knowing I'll have to re-download them in a month or two.

And where I live I don't have data caps.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It's not like we're counting Digital Foundry-style pixels or talking about some marginal fps differences or some new graphical features you might easily miss. You either run out of memory and can't install or update or you don't. And seeing many of my friends, who are as casual as it gets, constantly moving around and deleting and re-installing games from their HDD, this is a problem for the common player.

It's not an enthusiast's problem. Lots of people I know complain about the storage and all of them said that net storage of 1TB would be okay and enough but the actual free space you get is very low for games already and easily exceeding the 100GB mark; it doesn't even have to be CODMW date size.

No one says that you can't use a PS5 properly without at least 1 TB of free space, no one says that you can only install one or two games, but completely ignoring any kind of criticism is just dumb.

500GB of the OG PS4 wasn't enough for me and I primarily use the PS4 for exclusives only, but with the DL speeds (thanks, Sony) I want to limit the need to download games and their updates as much as possible; I wouldn't want to constantly deleting and re-installing games. Let alone those people with bandwith/data/speed limitations. Not everywhere you get 1000mbit/s even if you could/want afford it. In the country and federal state I live it's not rare for people still surfing with 10mbit/s tops.

And this storage issue, adding up on top of a list of many small things, is ultimately the reason why I will wait for a long time to finally buy the PS5.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Trouble is its not just game sizes, its patches, system updates, maybe screenshots/videos and needing significantly more free space than the file size, don't know how efficient that is now but I remember games needing free space that was double the actual file size to install.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So much this, most people arent buying huge amounts of digital games and wanting them all installed at one time. Most people are only playing one big game, IE Fifa, Fortnite, COD, etc... these drives are plenty big for that.
I do not have the attention span or time to play more than two games at once. I really want to know how much time some people are rotating through more than 5 games at once. That's like a job .

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

There's also data that this is day 6 and the number of people who have already filled even half of their storage is probably very small.

The average console owner buys something like 8-12 games over the entire life time, considering the current size of Demon's Souls, Spiderman, the console can roughly fit that number of games.

BC also already has expansion options

It's bad optics, but he's not wrong.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Or have optional additional storage for PS5 games available at launch I suppose.

The "alternative" would be to allow plugging an external drive so you can easily shuffle around the games you'll play in a week or two, but not tonight and tomorrow.

Support for the SSD internal add on will come eventually so I don't really think that's a problem. Hopefully being able to park the data into external drives will happen eventually🤷‍♂️

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
The fact is that for casuals it's not a super big deal... yet. The gen only started so we will see when more exclusives come out. PS4 only launched with 500gb and we all bought it anyway, but I also know many of us upgraded the internal storage.

I hear you about the PS4 storage, but also games were much smaller back then so 500gb went further. Also the OS didn't take up as significant a chunk of that storage space.