• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
California
Hear me out. I know this logo belongs to Microsoft Game Studios. I know that. But, for whatever reason, I always read it as "Microsoft Games X Studios." It's a small thing, and it's silly, but I laugh at it now.

microsoft-banner.png

I also used to read Diddy's Kong Quest as "Diddy Kong's Quest."

DK_Country_2.jpg

Now, to my knowledge, I am not dyslexic, so I can only chalk it up to being too lazy to accurately note what these really said.

What names and titles did you misread or misunderstand? What other sorts of assumptions did you make that you later had clarified?

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
uzqRQ.jpg

For the longest time I thought this was pronounced 'wise', as in pluralizing the letter Y. In reality, you say it like 'Geese' without the G.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Enter the Gungeon was about a dungeon made of gunge, like Todd's Adventures in Slime World.

It is actually about a dungeon with a lot of guns in it.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Shadow of the Colossus was a bad game because of its janky camera controls from like 2008-2013. Then I played HD version, ate crow, and enjoyed one of the GOATs.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I was so out of the loop of Final Fantasy XV's development that I assumed 'Platinum Demo' meant that the demo was made by PlatinumGames, who I figured may have been assisting development.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid I thought Mr X's name in RE2 was Debris (with a non-silent s and a short i) because I'd never heard the word before and the first time you encounter him, it says "the door is blocked by the debris" if you try to leave the way you came in.

Also my first exposure to FF7 was Kingdom Hearts 1, so I assumed Sephiroth always had that black wing. Apparently he doesn't get that in-universe until Advent Children, which came out like 3 years later

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Adidas_Power_Soccer.jpg

When I had the Playstation magazine demo disc that had this on there, I misread the game as "Adia's Power Sorcerer"

You can imagine my surprise when the game finally loaded up lol.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid I thought Mr X's name in RE2 was Debris (with a non-silent s and a short i) because I'd never heard the word before and the first time you encounter him, it says "the door is blocked by the debris" if you try to leave the way you came in.

Also my first exposure to FF7 was Kingdom Hearts 1, so I assumed Sephiroth always had that black wing. Apparently he doesn't get that in-universe until Advent Children, which came out like 3 years later

That first one reminds me of the anecdotes of kids naming the rival in Pokémon Gold/Silver "???" because that's his "name" when you first see him

3DS_PokemonGoldAndSilver_02.jpg

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I knew someone who called smash bros "Mario" which was really confusing, but I don't remember any confusions myself other than the Diddy Kong example.

Well, I actually learned how to write Rhythm after several games started using it on the title, but good luck telling how to the cashier at GAME.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I'm still confused as to why EA's original logo looks like EOA.

ea.png
Found this:

moneyinc.com

The Story of and History Behind the Electronic Arts Logo

Electronic Arts Inc, more effectually known as EA Sports is arguably the most recognizable gaming franchise on the planet. Additionally, the logo has

According to some reputable sources, Trip put a great deal of energy and effort into creating and refining the business plan for EA, but what does not seem to have gotten a lot of consideration was the initial logo. If you knew Trip and what he was attempting to do, the logo made perfect sense. The square was actually an "E" and the Triangle was an "A." The circle in the logo represented the globe and the international aspirations of the company. Unfortunately, most of the people who would eventually saw the logo did not know Trip or have knowledge of his vision for the company. To them, the logo appeared to be an EOA, which is not what they were looking for by any means.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic & Knuckles. As a non English speaking young kid I didn't know the word knuckles and read it "Kunckles".

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i have some brazil exclusives hahaha

for the longest time fans thought God of War was "Good of War" thus the translation was very funny.
also happened with The Last of Us, who some people mistook for "The Last of America".

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
When I told my parents about Zaxxon I apparently pronounced it "sex-on" and they banned me from playing that game. I really didn't get it at the time.

I have nothing against furries but thank god Disco Elysium got a name change from "No Truce With the Furies".

Spared us from the instantly tired jokes, if nothing else.
Also I got way more interested after the name change since an RPG called "No Truce With The Furies" sounds like your typical high fantasy stuff. Disco Elysium gets the atmosphere across.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Definitely a victim of Ys when I was younger.

I think anything that ever really tripped me up before was solely based on language barriers, so it would usually be some strange Japanese game (at the tie, some of these light noel names... oye) with a weird/long name with lots of weird puns and rhymes in the names.

The man, the myth, the legend

It originates from the mythical city of Ys, where the name has celtic origins. Similarly I'd recommend looking up the pronunciation of Cait Sith for a fun time.
Amusingly, having the Japanese version of FFVII and thus its manual, the Katakana written out for Caith Sith's name is written to be pronounced exactly like the Gaelic should sound. I stopped trying to explain this to people because of literal arguments that would break out.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
51Gtau5KiSL._AC_.jpg

One of my favorite games on the N64 at the time, and my brain always read his name as "Geomon." I only found out the correct spelling/pronunciation within the last few years, but I still can't bring myself to actually say it correctly.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Amusingly, having the Japanese version of FFVII and thus its manual, the Katakana written out for Caith Sith's name is written to be pronounced exactly like the Gaelic should sound. I stopped trying to explain this to people because of literal arguments that would break out.

I'm so eager to find out how they direct the voice actors in the remake when he inevitably joins the party

IIRC other Square Enix games have chickened out and went with Kate Sith but I want to believe

Oct 27, 2017
There will be at least one person who will play the mass effect legendary edition and not realize marauder shields is not the actual npc name.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so eager to find out how they direct the voice actors in the remake when he inevitably joins the party

IIRC other Square Enix games have chickened out and went with Kate Sith but I want to believe

Other than Cid calling him "Kate" once in Dirge of Cerberus, I don't think his name has ever been spoken in English.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid, I had only played Mega Man 2 and 3 and 4, though I knew there were more sequels. When Mega Man X came out, I thought it was Mega Man 10.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I just thought Winning Eleven was called Wing Eleven instead.
To this day I don't know why I thought that.

World+Soccer+Jikkyo+Winning+Eleven+4%2528www.baixamaster.net%2529.jpg

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird, that explanation is at odds with the interpretation of the logo on EA's box art of the time.

bards_tale.jpg

As you can see here, the globe takes the place of the O.
That could be a lack of communication between regions. I don't recall that writing style being used on NTSC boxes which is probably why I never thought of it as the 'O' in 'Electronic' like PAL users would.