• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Particularly in the 80's and 90's, some video game theme songs would sometimes have extended and vocal theme songs that could only be heard outside of the game, like on OSTs or in OVAs or things like that. Some of the best ones:

Zillion was based on an Anime, and thus the theme song to the game is based on the first opening. While the in-game theme song obviously lacks vocals, the anime opening has them. On one of the OSTs for the Anime, there is a full version of the song with a second verse, linked above.

The arcade version of Psycho Soldier had a cassette tape that would play during the game that contained a vocal version of the Athena theme song. When you bought the game in Japan for the Famicom, they included a cassette that had a full version of the in-game theme that was different from the Arcade version that is awesome.

Much of the US OST for Sonic CD is truncated in-game. They actually released a rare CD containing full versions of all the songs in the game that can't be heard anywhere else. Many of them are really cool, like Stardust Speedway Zone Present has an additional intro, or the two future versions of Quartz Quadrant are actually part of a single full song. The best example, however, is the game's theme song, Sonic Boom, which includes an additional bridge and refrain.

The Sega CD version of Lunar: The Silver Star has a different theme song from the Saturn/PSX versions of the game, but the version that plays in the game is shorter. Included with the Japanese collector's edition of Silver Star Story Complete is an OST that features the full version of the Japanese mix of the song, which is probably my favorite Lunar song ever.

Surely more of these kinds of tracks exist, so please post more.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

One more to add from a relatively more recent game, one of the tracks in Halo 2 was actually written by Breaking Benjamin and has a full vocal mix. I remember actually hearing this on the radio before Halo 2 was released and thinking it was so cool to hear a song from a video game on the air. I distinctively remember the DJ being like "here's the new single from the Halo 2 soundtrack"

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Usually very common for them to exist, at least in the modern era.

Klonoa Heroes was a really bizarre situation. Klonoa's voice actress (who also did some of her own songs), Kumiko Watanabe, confirmed a long time ago that there was a full version (with full instrumentation) and wanted to release it. Apparently she wanted to include it on one of her Singles or Albums, but ultimately was Namco's (now Bandai Namco) call, since she didn't own the song. So for the longest, we had a very short commercial that featured the proper instrumentation of the song and the truncated version included on the GBA release.

Out of nowhere around 2011 or so, Bamco was adding various soundtracks to iTunes. Among these, was Klonoa Heroes. In it, included the full version of the theme song, Sign of a Hero. We finally got to hear it, thanks to that.

You can listen to it here:

For the longest time, this was the only sample of this version we had from the commercial:

Slightly off topic, but related given it's Mega Man, but the Rockman.EXE anime, the first ending song, we never heard the full version in official capacity. The ending song was only included roughly TV size on the soundtrack releases (in fact, has a fade out from the full version). However, it got randomly discovered from a Camera Recording of the event of the singer, that had the full version of the song, Piece of Peace:

To this day, the song still hasn't been released in full capacity on proper CD or any capacity to my knowledge. It's a really strange situation and thankfully it made it out there in any capacity, even if the audio quality is really questionable.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few other songs that are similar in concept but aren't exactly the same songs from the games -- in japan, there were a few Sonic remix albums that feature alternative, longer versions of key sonic songs:

This is an alternate version of "Open Your Heart" from a limited edition Sonic Adventure remix LP.

"When we reach for you ~ Could it be Right?" is an alternate take on Cosmic Eternity, the ending theme from Sonic CD. I actually vastly prefer this to the original Cosmic Eternity, personally. The engrish is amazing, too.

"Brand New World" is an alternate take on Toot Toot Sonic Warrior, the opening theme from Sonic CD (and in general considered to be the theme of Sonic across multiple games).

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OH, and probably the best of them all:

Yes, the Space Harrier theme song has vocals, sung by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi himself! Supposedly this was played at various Sega employee events in japan.

The above video also includes a live performance of it.

Lyrics:

Dreamed up
While capping the sky
To encroach on the heart
Tell a story to the city
Oh, tens of thousands of light years
Even though the time is separated
Oh tomorrow's dream of two people
Beyond the darkness of the universe

Moving the sky
shooting a shoot
dreaming a moon
and you can live it again

Moving the sky (moving the sky)
Shooting a shoot (shooting a shoot)
Dreaming a moon (dreaming a moon)
And you can live it again

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OH, and probably the best of them all:

Yes, the Space Harrier theme song has vocals, sung by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi himself! Supposedly this was played at various Sega employee events in japan.

The above video also includes a live performance of it.

Yeah, he's performed that a number of times! He did it occasionally on Youtube and NND streams that Sega would do occasionally. I think the more extended version of the song hasn't been properly released (provided I'm not misremembering this detail), though he's performed that live.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Only Lonely Boy AKA Lovesong, heard in Dragon Quest 2's main menu:

And of course, Daddy Mulk, first stage theme of The Ninja Warriors:

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killer instinct on the SNES came with the Killer Cuts CD which had some really awesome mixes of songs from the game:

Killer Instinct 2 had a longer version of the Orchid theme that wasn't in the game, too:

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if this counts, but the Sega CD version of Mortal Kombat included a bonus music video on the disc that is the only instance of the legendary Mortal Kombat theme song appearing in any video game:

The song itself is actually taken from a promotional video they had sent out on VHS tape.

Similarly, Maximum Carnage on the Genesis/SNES came with a CD when you preordered it with this:

The Windows 95 version of Comix Zone also included a CD inside the box that had various mixes of the music from the game:

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you got the boxed edition of MGS4, it included an album that had a song called the Metal Gear Saga that is meant to be an extended version of the second Metal Gear Solid theme:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The "hey-oh" song from the Pokemon Sun and Moon trailer that doesn't really play like at all in the game, and I don't think ever got a full version released outside of the and version.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if those count but the karaoke songs from Yakuza games all had full versions that were released on CDs in Japan (I have a bunch of them).

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Sega CD versions of Ecco 1 and 2 feature one of the best soundtracks of the entire era, completely different from the Genesis version, written by Spencer Nilsen who did the Sonic CD US soundtrack. Track 2 of Tides of Time is a song called St Gabriel's Mask, which is the tune for the 3D stages. There exists an extremely rare promotional disc for the game that features the above vocal mix of the song.

The non-vocal version for comparison (which is actually a slightly different composition):

Hellfire

May 26, 2019
Is Falcom still the undisputed king of this category or has another developer caught up? The Falcom Music Channel youtube channel has 4 vocal only playlists with 49 tracks on it that roughly line up with the 4 vocal collection albums Falcom put out in the late 80s to mid 90s.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Falcom still the undisputed king of this category or has another developer caught up? The Falcom Music Channel youtube channel has 4 vocal only playlists with 49 tracks on it that roughly line up with the 4 vocal collection albums Falcom put out in the late 80s to mid 90s.

I'd been trying to find a few of the OVA exclusive remixes of the Ys book I & II songs but all I can find on youtube are actual pirated episodes of the show :(

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town remake on Switch had a song made for it that's been used in commercials. There's also a "music video," but it's not the full 4-minute song. The full song is only available on a CD and hasn't been released digitally or uploaded onto youtube as far as I'm aware.

It's not the first song in the series though. Alllll the way back to Harvest Moon GB, which was a demake of the original SNES game, there was an Arrangement Album that had theme songs (with lyrics) for both the Bokujou Monogatari/Story of Seasons/Pre-Natsume Harvest Moon series as a whole and Pete, the main character. Mis-translated here as "Pitt."

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The song that plays in Soul Blade's famous CGI intro is a truncated version of this.