• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I write for an outlet with decent traffic (1 million visitors per month), and though I can usually snag review codes for indie/VR games and the occasional AAA release, it's really tough to get major publishers to consistently play ball and get us codes ahead of release. We often either get ignored completely or given the "we're not giving codes at the moment" excuse (even though friends at smaller outlets already have copies).

I use gamespress.com to contact publishers/PR departments which has mixed results. I'm registered at Sony's press website but they just don't reply to my requests for code/to be added to their mailout, and though Nintendo almost always replies to my requests, it's always been "we have no code for you", and they've never once given me an actual code either before or on release.

Is it worth just relentlessly hassling them? I don't want to be annoying but it can be frustrating being passed over or straight-up ghosted. Should I try a harder sell by providing metrics and offering to post some news ahead of release?

Ideally I'd like to be on mailout lists for all major publishers and PR firms so we can be on the ball with all major releases, but codes have been sparse over the last few months in particular and it's really demoralising, especially when you have an audience that will read the content.

Sorry if this sounds like a whine, but I'm keen to hit it aggressively and I figured this was a good place to ask advice as many journos are registered here. Thanks :)

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You just have to keep on reaching and trying. I'm also in a similar siutation as you right now.

You won't get everything and that's to be expected. I see that youtubers and personalities have a way better chance then outlets or individuals from mid tier +.

OP
OP
shaneo632

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
You just have to keep on reaching and trying. I'm also in a similar siutation as you right now.

You won't get everything and that's to be expected. I see that youtubers and personalities have a way better chance then outlets or individuals from mid tier +.

Yeah, YouTubers definitely seem to get a lot of stuff that traditional outlets don't - which is fine, just a sign of the times I guess.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Get a terminals.io account.

Other than that, it's just a matter of nagging PR representatives until they give in. But do remember to send them links of your coverage of their games, too, so that they know you're legit.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't sweat what you can't get. Just keep writing what you can and make all the contacts possible, and be friendly and professional all the while. The gaming industry is smaller than it looks so the person you've taken care of at one company may end up somewhere you don't have access to eventually. Or maybe they won't and you've just maintained a reputation for professionalism. That pays off too. Having access to Sony and Nintendo is nice but very difficult to pull off, so try not to get too caught up on them.

Also, personal rule- never review what you pay for. Write about it if it excites you, but when I have to spend my own personal money it's going to be for my own personal entertainment. A news article or two can be nice for content and fun to write but thousand-word reviews are work, and I'm not dipping into my bank account for the privilege.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it comes down to building rapport with PR and showing that your coverage aligns with what they're looking for. Covering news on a title that you're looking to review is one way to show it.

If you're just starting to reach out to PR, give them a brief rundown on you and your publication. Mention your MUV's, give a one sentence brief on your review style, mention if you're listed on MC/OC, etc.

Lastly, sometimes it just comes down to consistency.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
A million visitors per month in what country? I don't know if that is enough to be on Sony's or Nintendo's radar in the US for instance.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Mm, then you should indeed be fine. Networking in person might help then. See if you can be invited to test a game in their office, so you get to know their PR people better. Too bad it is a bit late in the year, because I know Nintendo does days like that after E3 and GC.

Darryn

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
I cannot stress enough how important networking is. If there's a convention going on that has a heavy game presence, attend it, introduce yourself to the game PR and start handing out those business cards. Nothing beats putting a face to a name as opposed to yet another email in a crowded inbox.

OP
OP
shaneo632

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I cannot stress enough how important networking is. If there's a convention going on that has a heavy game presence, attend it, introduce yourself to the game PR and start handing out those business cards. Nothing beats putting a face to a name as opposed to yet another email in a crowded inbox.

Yeah you're right. I really *hate* networking as I find it so insincere but it is a valuable part of the 'biz I suppose.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Get to know who deals with PR. For instance here in Canada, Nintendo has a specific PR agency that's different from Nintendo USA. Create an account on https://www.gamespress.com/. Create a media kit. Network. Publishers are cheap and sometimes won't even give you codes if you beg them. 'member the whole Borderlands 3 gated reviews? It happens more than you think. If you're not an influencer or one of the giants (IGN/Gamespot/JV/etc) , it can be frustrating.

OP
OP
shaneo632

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Is it better to email from a company email, or is Gmail fine? I'm almost starting to suspect some companies simply block Gmail.com addresses as a rule.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is it better to email from a company email, or is Gmail fine? I'm almost starting to suspect some companies simply block Gmail.com addresses as a rule.

A company email adds an air of authenticity I think some outlets appreciate, but I had luck with gmail for a while.

The thing about review codes is that after a certain number have been claimed, publishers have to pay to get more from the platform holder, at least in the case of the Switch. The number I heard a few months back was 300 or so, which is pretty small when you imagine all of the outlets vying for coverage.

In my experience most indies are fine, and so are the likes of Sega, Koei Tecmo, and NISA. Square Enix and Nintendo can be harder to reach - even if you have a solid relationship with a PR person at those companies, it can still be a challenge.

Just gotta be persistent, but not annoying, and show a willingness to cover their games in other instances, like press release news drops and such. Video content is appreciated in some fashion, too, but not really required.

Oh also if you're in the UK head over to PressXtra and click thru and register to the relevant companies. You'll at least get access to press kits etc.

Jun 1, 2018
Get a terminals.io account.

Other than that, it's just a matter of nagging PR representatives until they give in. But do remember to send them links of your coverage of their games, too, so that they know you're legit.
Weird thing is, I had a terminals.io account, it reapplied because we rebranded and they denied even though I had access before wtf.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
It's all about networking. No one knows who the biggest fish is if it has never properly introduced itself. How do you get in contact with 'that guy'? Go to gaming conventions, ask for the PR representative and have a chat with them. It doesn't have to be about videogames. Just chat with them.

Use an e-maill with the same name as your website or media company so they know the sender is legit. It helps to have a page on your website with pictures and names of the people writing for you so they can check on it. Don't push it in their faces, just have a page somewhere.

Just keep mailing them for every game you would like to review even if you don't get replies. The ghosting doesn't always have to intentional. Be friendly, professional and see if you can get a click with some people and have a little chat during your e-mail conversations.

Traffic details certainly help, but it really is not the most important. Your content is important.

OP
OP
shaneo632

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Thanks for all the replies, folks. Made me feel better knowing that others have had issues and there are ways to sell yourself better :)

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't have any gaming-sector experience, but when I was a journalist it was all about relationships (with quality content a given). I got so many stories from building relationships. So I guess it's analogous.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Back in 2001 my co-worker/friend said he was starting a website with a "Pacific Rim theme." Just news and cultural stuff. I jokingly said, "I'll write video game reviews for you. Write to Sony, Square, Konami etc. Ask them for early review copies of Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2," and I probably named a couple other games I was looking forward to at the time.

A few weeks later, he came into the office and handed me a big padded envelope with a Sony return address on it. Inside were review copies of two different hockey games for PSX, and Otogi and Ico for PS2. I couldn't believe it. I never would have thought to ask for Ico at the time, but it was indeed on my radar because of the Gaming Intelligence Agency's two previews of it from E3 2000 and 2001. Good times. Only downside was a I had to play and review all of the other games too. (I know Otogi has its fans... I am not one of them.)

EDIT: Oops, not Otogi, that was a rad Xbox game by From Software. The PS2 JRPG I had to play was Okage.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
shaneo632

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Well, I got a Luigi's Mansion 3 code after a few hassling emails to Nintendo PR. I have a contact now so that's useful I guess!

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Get to know who deals with PR.
This.

I write for a small outlet (circulation of 18 000) and get many Sony, Ubisoft, EA, Activision etc. titles; from indie to AAA. Ubisoft handle it themselves here in Germany. Sony and many other publishers got a PR agency. Depending on the platform they usually have a shitload of leftover keys that they aren't going to sell anyways so they are happy to hand them out. At least here in Germany. Even the smallest advertisement through a review is enough for most of them.

So you have to find out who deals with the review codes. Once you have one PR agency you can ask them if they know others dealing PR for a certain publisher. Did that too with success because they are all so friendly and happy to help out. If you need a starting point, search for the press contact on a publisher's website and ask for who's handling review copy and how can you subscribe to their press-only newsletter while explaining them briefly who you are (not just a YouTuber with 100 views on his videos fishing for free games).

I'm very upfront when reaching out to new agencies or publishers and tell them we are small, but I don't undervalue us. I also ask them to get subscribed in their newsletter. I think that sends a message that you want to work with them together, get all their news and don't just take a review copy and disappear.

That being said, I always use my companies official email address.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Here in the Netherlands its just that if you grow big enough (and one million visits seems big enough, at least for Dutch standards), you'll get the codes eventually. It can't hurt to have and keep good contacts with the various PR-folks and publishers. Like ThreepQuest64 says, most important thing is finding out who deals the codes, a lot of publishers have PR companies for that.