• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the board could use a general thread for preservation related info, studies, articles, random social media posts, etc. that might not be worthy of their own thread + are not only about providing rom access or emulation technology. Lots of people on this board are either interested in the area or work / do academic research here so maybe some interesting stuff will get posted.

Why Video Game Preservation Matters, from the Video Game History Foundation:

Video game preservation matters because video games matter. Games are deeply ingrained in our culture, and they're here to stay. They generated an unprecedented $91 billion dollars in revenue in 2016. They're being collected by the Smithsonian, the Museum of Modern Art, and the Library of Congress. They've inspired dozens of feature films and even more books. They're used as a medium of personal expression, as the means for raising money for charity, as educational tools, and in therapy.

And yet, despite all this, video game history is disappearing. The majority of games that have been created throughout history are no longer easily accessible to study and play. And even when we can play games, that playable code is only a part of the story.

In order to know how and why games were made, how they were advertised and sold, and even how they were seen by players of their time, historians and researchers rely on ephemeral materials - artwork, interviews, reviews, packaging, advertising, internal documentation, and more - to tell a complete story. And without an organized effort to collect, document, and preserve these materials, there is a very real danger of losing them forever.

Organizations and Institutions
Video Game History Foundation
The Video Game History Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to cataloging, digitizing, and preserving the history of video games.
https://gamehistory.org/
https://twitter.com/GameHistoryOrg
Natoinal Museum of Play
(Note this is a general games museum not just video games, so I'll just link that stuff)
The Strong's International Center for the History of Electronic Games® (ICHEG) collects, studies, and interprets video games, other electronic games, and related materials and the ways in which electronic games are changing how people play, learn, and connect with each other, including across boundaries of culture and geography.
http://www.museumofplay.org/about/icheg
Archival Collections Related to Video and Other Electronic Games
Video and Other Electronic Game Collections

Japanese Game Preservation Society
The Game Preservation Society is a Japanese Non-Profit Organisation dedicated to preserving video games from the 1970s, 80s and 90s. It was founded in 2011 and consists of 17 core members and 28 support members. The organisation holds one General Assembly per year as well as smaller sessions as required by various activities (repairing a machine, archiving games, etc).
https://www.gamepres.org/en/
https://twitter.com/gamepres

Web Resources
Unseen64
Unseen 64 is an archive with articles, screens and videos for cancelled, beta & unseen videogames. Every change & cut creates a different gaming experience; we would like to save some documents of this evolution for curiosity, historic and artistic preservation.
https://www.unseen64.net/
https://twitter.com/Unseen64

Game Developer Research Institute
GDRI (Game Developer Research Institute) is a website dedicated to researching the companies and people involved with video game development, especially the hidden world of contract development.
http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php
https://twitter.com/gdri

Video Game Densetsu (now 'closed' but materials being kept up)
Concept art, illustrations, cancelled games and obscure stuff.
https://vgdensetsu.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu

Just threw resources here that came to mind so I might be missing a lot. Feel free to suggest things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
big rip to VGDensetsu. Last major post from November was 'Designing 2D graphics in the Japanese industry'

o3a59Zb.png

Characters from Namco's arcade game Pac-Man (1980) drawn on grid paper, followed by an excerpt of the game code in hexadecimal

6jcnaAQ.gif

Walk cycle animation for Ingrid from Capcom Fighting Jam (2004). Each frame is drawn on grid paper then rendered on computer

H9NzMif.gif

Graphic tool used by Capcom during the development of the PS1 version of Street Fighter Zero 2 (1996)

u2LC12E.gif

Sprites and backgrounds from Fatal Fury 3 (1995) designed with Art Box

Go read and mourn.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Im a tad biased, but I feel like the Museum of Play should be more than just an "Other" :) We have the largest collection of play things in the world, and likely the largest collection of publicly accessible games and related material, including magazines, trade catalogs, and more. Feel free to ask questions about the museum, Im happy to answer what I can.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Im a tad biased, but I feel like the Museum of Play should be more than just an "Other" :) We have the largest collection of play things in the world, and likely the largest collection of publicly accessible games and related material, including magazines, trade catalogs, and more. Feel free to ask questions about the museum, Im happy to answer what I can.
Actually I only put it in because I remember either you or someone else posting about it here before lol. Have never visited, only went to the museum of pop culture once, but their online resources are not anywhere near. I should just put it in the Organization / Institution section though.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
People virtually won't care until the game becomes highly irrelevant to the point of obscurity with no possible way to play it..

Then they'll thank the heavens that someone took their time to formulate a way to have it accessible on PC.

Emulation is one the best things I've ever witnessed in gaming.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
People virtually won't care until the game becomes highly irrelevant to the point of obscurity with no possible way to play it..

Then they'll thank the heavens that someone took their time to formulate a way to have it accessible on PC.

Emulation is one the best things I've ever witnessed in gaming.
Probably, but there's still a lot of interesting activity and documentation and etc. beyond just emulation. Not meant to be a critique of emulation or anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping this thread is more about actual documentation of game information instead of being a hub for emulation progress updates by other members.

I've been gathering a lot of info books lately regarding older game catalogues. Recently purchased the family computer history book with info and images from a video game Tokyo museum.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Hoping this thread is more about actual documentation of game information instead of being a hub for emulation progress updates by other members.
I imagine it won't be that since those always get pretty popular threads already, and this is meant to be the total opposite! Not to say important emulation news is separate from all the preservation resources here but I don't imagine "x emulator now runs bloodborne" updates.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The things that the museum has is beyond what you could simply get by going to a store, buying a game, and backing it up. We have hand written notebooks from people like Roberta Williams and Will Wright, for instance. Source code from Carol Shaw. Tons of stuff that might otherwise be trashed. Retail games, at least pre-digital distribution, are relatively safe (with exceptions of course, there are still undumped games, revisions, unknowns, etc). I worry more about everything else, which is why I do what I do.

Oct 25, 2017

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You got any images of particularly interesting items from old game development you can show here?

The latest we did was an online exhibit to supplement our Women in Games exhibit that just opened last week.
https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/CwKCGJf3HpdoIg

Of note in here is the concept art of a Wonder Woman pinball table that wasnt made, some pictures that haven't been seen before, an Atari memo about the Asteroids field test, and some video from our Atari Coin-Op tape archive.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that we'll never get the full resolution versions of many old Konami cover art since they were lost during an earthquake back in the day. Some of that art is bloody amazing!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Just found this site from another thread (stolen, owned). Surprised I've never heard of it. It's old but doesn't seem super extensive. Not sure if there is a similar but 'better' web resource.

https://www.creativeuncut.com/
Creative Uncut is dedicated to bringing together concept art from a wide variety of console and computer games to one place where people can easily access and enjoy it without registration or restrictions. Every image on the site is watermark-free out of respect for the original artists and for those wishing to collect and view it unobstructed.

The website began in 2003 as something of a mish mash of content. As a kid I would often look for character artwork from my favorite video games, as well as desktop images, animated sprites, music lyrics, and maps. So as an adult, and having an opportunity to provide a resource for those things for others, Creative Uncut was born.

Youloute

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for your work and hope you better enjoy those 'few things you'd prefer to be doing' soon.
Thank you very much!

If I had one last "last" article to write, it would be centered on video game preservation (and it would take me about one year to do it properly).
I attended a conference last year in Paris and was appalled to see that some of the actors involved in preservation seemed satisified to see the glass as half full. Half full is far from enough when we talk about preservation. Of course, some people are doing great things regarding that matter but there are still so many things to do and not enough time or people to do them.
I had a talk with Joseph Redon a few years ago, and he told me that he felt a moral obligation to do what he was doing with the Game Preservation Society. Earlier this year, I started to feel the same way regarding illustrators who worked in the video game industry and for months I wondered whether I should go on doing research on them. So many of these artists have already passed away and time is running against us, but apart from Tim Lapetino and his book 'Art of Atari', I haven't seen a lot of people doing research in a satisfying way in that field. On the other hand, I really need to take a break.

Regarding concept art and design docs in general, I've seen hundreds of developers sharing excerpts on Twitter over the past 3-4 years, which reminds me that during the conference I attended last year, one certain official representative said something like "Employees from video game companies aren't allowed to keep that kind of document with them so they don't have them anymore". Yeah sure, and I never "borrowed" any pen at my workplace.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you very much!

If I had one last "last" article to write, it would be centered on video game preservation (and it would take me about one year to do it properly).
I attended a conference last year in Paris and was appalled to see that some of the actors involved in preservation seemed satisified to see the glass as half full. Half full is far from enough when we talk about preservation. Of course, some people are doing great things regarding that matter but there are still so many things to do and not enough time or people to do them.
I had a talk with Joseph Redon a few years ago, and he told me that he felt a moral obligation to do what he was doing with the Game Preservation Society. Earlier this year, I started to feel the same way regarding illustrators who worked in the video game industry and for months I wondered whether I should go on doing research on them. So many of these artists have already passed away and time is running against us, but apart from Tim Lapetino and his book 'Art of Atari', I haven't seen a lot of people doing research in a satisfying way in that field. On the other hand, I really need to take a break.

Regarding concept art and design docs in general, I've seen hundreds of developers sharing excerpts on Twitter over the past 3-4 years, which reminds me that during the conference I attended last year, one certain official representative said something like "Employees from video game companies aren't allowed to keep that kind of document with them so they don't have them anymore". Yeah sure, and I never "borrowed" any pen at my workplace.
Write it anyway!

Employees not being able to keep much is dumb but maybe common for many industries. If they were allowed to anyway, I wonder if much of it would be tossed anyway, as is done with production materials in like the manga industry for example. Still, more documentation of the process should have been done (that's why I liked the last article so much). It's telling that a lot of the clips are just moments you can barely make out in the background of videos of studios rather than anything substantial.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I finally had a chance to sit down and watch JohnRiggs video that he took while he was at the Strong, it gives a pretty good look at the vastness of the collection here.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Wow, NES Sim City is out!

I've been wanting to create an index for 90s game mags/media coverage to help those doing research, but I want to first get an idea if there's any demand for it. Does such a thing already exist?

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We have started to digitize some of our Umatic tapes. The content is pretty amazing.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, should be sometime in 1982. Sometime basically immediately before the crash, which I think makes it fascinating.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Another video from our digitization project, a concept video made by Atari in 1984 for "Dance Machine," which essentially was Dance Central in a lot of ways just thought of decades prior.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Another video from our digitization project, a concept video made by Atari in 1984 for "Dance Machine," which essentially was Dance Central in a lot of ways just thought of decades prior.

Yeah, 25 years later the Kinect was doing this and it still didn't work a lot of the time. The rig you'd need to even approach that kind of full-body real-time motion capture in the 1980s probably would have been bulky and expensive as all get out.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine it would have been far more simple, but yeah, clearly the technology was an issue hah. But it still is neat to see the forward-thinking going on at the time, especially since Atari isn't exactly known for it in that time period.

Schrade

Oct 25, 2017
"Just imagine the technology that would be required to make it, especially in the 1980's"

Never heard of genlocks and the Amiga? :)

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"Just imagine the technology that would be required to make it, especially in the 1980's"

Never heard of genlocks and the Amiga? :)

The Amiga was still a year+ out, but I dont know if a genlock would be able to measure how someone is dancing.