• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When looking at lists of peoples' favorite video game music, there are common trends: Over-the-top orchestras, unearthly choirs, sizzling guitar solos harkening back to British first wave metal, maybe the piano or violin for a softer touch. And I get it. Most of my favorite music from video games is that kind of stuff too. We love the moments when soundtracks go all in on style.

Sometimes though, it feels like video game soundtracks don't know when to chill. Not every piece needs to be awesome, not every scene needs to be sentimental. Subtlety is not a sin.

To give an example of what I mean, here's a piece from the game Pokemon Omega Ruby:

Wally's theme in Omega Ruby never sat well with me. The blaring guitar stands out at first, but after only a minute or so it really starts to grate on the ears. It's not awful in the same way as the worst video game music out there. In context, it makes sense for the composer to emphasize how awesome Wally is compared to the last time I fought him. But with a track like this, it feels like the game is just beating me over the head. There's no quiet moment to reflect on where Wally started, no buildup to reflect his offscreen growth. It's just "AWESOME!" from beginning to end and that gets dull.

Here's another track from Omega Ruby:

Zinnia's theme is much more pleasant, but there's another problem: It doesn't make any sense for the situation in-game. Zinnia isn't a climactic boss fight, it's a fairly easy one that serves as a prelude to the actual climax of the story, yet her music is more ostentatious and dramatic than virtually anyone else's in the game. The violin especially adds a bittersweetness that feels completely unearned; Pokemon is not the kind of game that can really carry that kind of sentiment. You could probably throw Zinnia's theme into a random climactic battle for another JRPG and it would fit better than it does in Omega Ruby.

Have you felt anything similar when listening to video game music, either in-game or on its own? What are some examples?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

A 40 second fight only in the 3DS version of the game has, for some reason, probably the best and most energetic remix of all of the songs in Generations.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The music in the city of Xenoblade X. Wants to make my head explode.

I could tell something wasn't right with this game when this repetitive track started playing.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Maybe this doesnt quite work.. but undertale sort of does this on purpose for a joke:

certainly the classic tim follin pictionary title screen fits the bill

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like god, the entire soundtrack of Dark Souls III?

Just constant Big Epic Orchestra and Ominous Chanting when the boss is just a dog man in armor.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard people say Dragon Quest XI's music in general is terrible - I don't really agree, I think it's fine by the series standards if not necessarily great. But the overworld theme is absolutely, 100% too much for something that plays on repeat for hours on end. You want something catchy but subtle, the sort of thing that fades into the background, not all the horns and drums and all that. I know multiple people that couldn't handle listening to it and either dropped the game or turned off the music altogether.

Thankfully, XIS has the music from DQVIII as an alternative, which you can probably argue is still a bit much, but is definitely a more low-key track and significantly more listenable for long stretches of wandering around.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Touhou Luna Nights is just constantly high bpm music even when you're just exploring an area. It gets old quick.

OP
OP
Toxi

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Like god, the entire soundtrack of Dark Souls III?

Just constant Big Epic Orchestra and Ominous Chanting when the boss is just a dog man in armor.
Was thinking about Dark Souls 3 when making this thread. I wasn't sure about any specific track to choose, because many of them are great... But together it's just a wall of noise without purpose. It makes me sad because I love Yuka Kitamura's work but it gets so same-y.

That's really what I'm looking for with this thread. Soundtracks or individual pieces of music that are more obsessed with being epic or "emotional" than actually, you know, going for something that fits the tone or scene.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking about Dark Souls 3 when making this thread. I wasn't sure about any specific track to choose, because many of them are great... But together it's just a wall of noise without purpose. It makes me sad because I love Yuka Kitamura's work but it gets so same-y.

That's really what I'm looking for with this thread. Soundtracks or individual pieces of music that are more obsessed with being epic or "emotional" than actually, you know, going for something that fits the tone or scene.

Bluntly, I feel this is a problem where "epic" has become synonymous with "good" as if there were an objective measure of quality music.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Bluntly, I feel this is a problem where "epic" has become synonymous with "good" as if there were an objective measure of quality music.

Eh. The best tracks in DS3 were the weirder ones like the Dancer which is a surreal track. Tbh I feel the same about people who decided having a catchy tune is required for music to be good.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Can't find a link but there's a part in Corpse Party Blood Drive where the music gets so fucking loud it's almost like it's going to blow out your headphones/speakers. And yes, the game does actually say that's how loud it is and sounds to the characters in game, but they really didn't need to make it like that for the player to in this case...

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Maybe this doesnt quite work.. but undertale sort of does this on purpose for a joke:

certainly the classic tim follin pictionary title screen fits the bill

Always thought this one was hilarious, like, who tf expects this from the title screen of a game like Pictionary?

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I got you op. Although I like it.

It gets CRAZIER SOMEHOW after the first loop

A dungeon song... for the first dungeon.

Last edited:

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

First of all, let me tell you. I think this song is great. I love uncommon time signatures in my games so I don't hate this anywhere near as much as some people seem to.
But it's definitely far too intense for the slow paced fairly benign combat that you are typically engaging in.

I think turn based JRPG's are very prone to this issue because often they'll use the same battle theme from beginning to end so you'll be in the last dungeon with some atmospheric music playing.

...and then it's interrupted by

Kinda takes you outta it

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Many vocal tracks in Ar tonelico games, such as this one:

Also, many tracks from Nier and Nier Automata.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
When looking at lists of peoples' favorite video game music, there are common trends: Over-the-top orchestras, unearthly choirs, sizzling guitar solos harkening back to British first wave metal, maybe the piano or violin for a softer touch. And I get it. Most of my favorite music from video games is that kind of stuff too. We love the moments when soundtracks go all in on style.

Sometimes though, it feels like video game soundtracks don't know when to chill. Not every piece needs to be awesome, not every scene needs to be sentimental. Subtlety is not a sin.

To give an example of what I mean, here's a piece from the game Pokemon Omega Ruby:

Wally's theme in Omega Ruby never sat well with me. The blaring guitar stands out at first, but after only a minute or so it really starts to grate on the ears. It's not awful in the same way as the worst video game music out there. In context, it makes sense for the composer to emphasize how awesome Wally is compared to the last time I fought him. But with a track like this, it feels like the game is just beating me over the head. There's no quiet moment to reflect on where Wally started, no buildup to reflect his offscreen growth. It's just "AWESOME!" from beginning to end and that gets dull.

Here's another track from Omega Ruby:

Zinnia's theme is much more pleasant, but there's another problem: It doesn't make any sense for the situation in-game. Zinnia isn't a climactic boss fight, it's a fairly easy one that serves as a prelude to the actual climax of the story, yet her music is more ostentatious and dramatic than virtually anyone else's in the game. The violin especially adds a bittersweetness that feels completely unearned; Pokemon is not the kind of game that can really carry that kind of sentiment. You could probably throw Zinnia's theme into a random climactic battle for another JRPG and it would fit better than it does in Omega Ruby.

Have you felt anything similar when listening to video game music, either in-game or on its own? What are some examples?

Wally's theme is ungodly repetitive, which is a shame since it leaves such a great first impression but as you said there's no reprieve. To put it bluntly it feels unfinished. What you say about Zinnia's theme is also accurate in that it actually has the opposite problem; It's a full composition with a completely unfitting tone. That theme should be for the endgame optional super boss like GSC Red/Emerald Steven/Gen 5 Cynthia.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Found the Corpse Party track I mentioned earlier. Listening to it again I still can't believe they did this. And yes, this is actually how it sounds in the game. The 20 second mark is probably where you'll want to just stab your ears to make it all stop.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
this track slaps so hard

final boss of octopath traveler is insanely epic too

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
As far as Pokemon goes, I always thought the final battle music in Red/Blue was a disastrous cacophony of noise, especially with how badly the lead instruments are constantly getting drowned out by the Pokemon cries themsevles. Everyone else seems to love it, but I thought the regular gym leader battle theme was 10x better.

I think the title screen music for Adventures of Batman & Robin on Genesis goes for over 9 minutes before it loops.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As far as Pokemon goes, I always thought the final battle music in Red/Blue was a disastrous cacophony of noise, especially with how badly the lead instruments are constantly getting drowned out by the Pokemon cries themsevles. Everyone else seems to love it, but I thought the regular gym leader battle theme was 10x better.

I think the title screen music for Adventures of Batman & Robin on Genesis goes for over 9 minutes before it loops.

Yeah this shit kicks ass

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
I never beat Pokémon Shield but this song was so bananas. That bass line is absolutely wild right after the little intro.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017

It's also repetitive as hell and loops super quickly.

I'm glad they fixed it later.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
This track from the original Xenoblade is cool, appropriately epic, and a bit overused. While I like the remastered OST I think they overdid it a little in this case though. For how often it plays, the singing got annoying fast especially since there's always a lot of dialogue in scenes where this plays.
Original:

Remastered:

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017

Touhou Luna Nights is just constantly high bpm music even when you're just exploring an area. It gets old quick.

This is the perfect example. Who the hell listened to something like this and thought "yeah this will work great when the player is just walking around?"

What are you two talking about? TLN OST is so great and doesn't get old at all, you're never "just" exploring area. I'd say it's one of the better soundtracks in recent years I've listened to, YouTube compression doesn't do it justice because the original files slap so much harder.

Spoilers for the game:
When at the end you get to fight Nitori and hear the different remix of her boss theme after they used it as shop music is just pure hype
Shop:

Boss:

Oct 29, 2017
I've heard people say Dragon Quest XI's music in general is terrible - I don't really agree, I think it's fine by the series standards if not necessarily great. But the overworld theme is absolutely, 100% too much for something that plays on repeat for hours on end. You want something catchy but subtle, the sort of thing that fades into the background, not all the horns and drums and all that. I know multiple people that couldn't handle listening to it and either dropped the game or turned off the music altogether.

Thankfully, XIS has the music from DQVIII as an alternative, which you can probably argue is still a bit much, but is definitely a more low-key track and significantly more listenable for long stretches of wandering around.

I would say there's definitely a way to make a bombastic overworld track sound good and not particularly tiring after a while. In my opinion Ni No Kuni is one such game to do it right. The problem with DQ11's track is that it's literally two minutes long, has no moments of respite or, as the OP says "doesn't know when to tone it down", and plays regardless of whether you're in grasslands, deserts, beaches, outdoor ruins, farms, swamps, etc.

I also wouldn't say it's a terrible soundtrack but it's extremely phoned-in and aggressively mediocre.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
This is basically why I just couldn't jive with the Nier Automata soundtrack. I respect the craft and I like how they have hacking versions of a lot of the music but there's a couple key moments where it's way too epic for what's happening.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
And every single NPC did the creepy laugh for literally no reason other than "Dark Souls NPCs laugh, yo". DSIII felt like a parody of itself. Wasn't a bad game mind you but I was just very glad they said they were done with the series.

Yeah 100% agree, and the soundtrack where almost everthing is some epic bombastic piece is perfectly representative of this, almost like you said, a parody of itself.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I kind of understand the feeling of overused epic music. But to me I absolutely love that about games. To me nothing's worse than constant subtle music and you can barely tell it's there. It works in some games, but as an example one of the negatives I had in BOTW is the lack of field music. Again they were going for a certain tone in that game, I just personally missed the background music. Everybody has different tastes. Just throwing this in here just cause these are among my favorite falcom tracks. Which are appropriately epic and fit well when they are used:

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
The music in the city of Xenoblade X. Wants to make my head explode.

I could tell something wasn't right with this game when this repetitive track started playing.

The audio direction in that game is really bad. I think the soundtrack as a collection of songs is pretty great, but it just doesn't work well in-game a lot of the time. Occasionally, the mix will put the soundtrack front and center, drowning out dialogue and kinda ruining a scene.

Stylistically they needed a departure from the first Xenoblade, and Sawano is not a bad choice for that. But it's like they let him loose to do his thing without much direction.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What are you two talking about? TLN OST is so great and doesn't get old at all, you're never "just" exploring area. I'd say it's one of the better soundtracks in recent years I've listened to, YouTube compression doesn't do it justice because the original files slap so much harder.

Its loud, high bpm and repetitive, and plays non stop for like an hour. Probably fine in isolation but I stopped after the first level because it was just annoying after a while (well that and the weird run cycle was making me uncomfortable lol).

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I actually love it when games do this. Unless it's cacophony orchestral choir stuff, I'm not fond of that.

I got you op. Although I like it.

It gets CRAZIER SOMEHOW after the first loop

A dungeon song... for the first dungeon.

That first one is 100% Toshinori Hiramatsu's playing. I absolutely love his work.

Some of my favourite moments playing the Atelier series is his performance kicking in for typically normal battles.

These aren't even boss battles!

Last edited:

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Every game I start I immediately put the music down to 75%, then I invert Y. Also put on Subtitles. Then I can start the game. Every game. Except Civ 6 - bump that music baby.