• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
there's a history of vg movies being notoriously awful, but I feel like the video game ADJACENT movies made some small headway this decade.

Scott Pilgrim counts? Sure
Wreck it Ralph? Yeah
Pixels? it sucks but same idea

more official adapatations hastly cut and and pasted from wikipedia:

Tekken
March 20, 2010

[Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

]Resident Evil: Afterlife
September 10, 2010

[Resident Evil: Retribution
September 14, 2012

Silent Hill: Revelation
October 26, 2012

Need for Speed
March 14, 2014

Hitman: Agent 47
August 21, 2015

Warcraft
June 10, 2016

Assassin's Creed
December 21, 2016

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
January 27, 2017

Tomb Raider
March 16, 2018

Rampage
April 13, 2018

Detective Pikachu
]May 10, 2019

Outside of Detective Pikachu, pretty much trash. Tomb Raider was more boring than awful.

So, do you give it to the 'Chu or does Ralph and Scott count?

edit: so tables are NOT supported here! cut and paste in fine though...

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
... unless you are missing something it was a pretty good decade... very few SUPER BAD movies or very disrespectfull ones like the first street fighter or the KoF one.

While Detective Pikachu is the only one I would consider very good, Tekken and the resident evil ones are the only ones I would consider TRASH

So, do you give it to the 'Chu or does Ralph and Scott count?

If Ralph and Scott counts than Jumanji and Edge of Tomorrow totally should too

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Wreck it Ralph I personally feel is the best all around for how it was a wonderful love letter to many games, (I still notice things I didn't before) but detective Pikachu is obviously the best adaptation.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Sonic the Hedgehog Trailer was the only memorable moment

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Detective Pikachu.

They could've made it less weird. They could've been like "Let's do our own designs!!!" like the Sonic movie. They could've tried to set it in our world or some dumb bullshit.

Instead, we got our protagonists pretending to do a cartel murder on a Mr. Mime. We got Dittos posing as humans in all it's horrifying glory. They fucking WENT for it, and I commend that.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Detective Pikachu.

They could've made it less weird. They could've been like "Let's do our own designs!!!" like the Sonic movie. They could've tried to set it in our world or some dumb bullshit.

Instead, we got our protagonists pretending to do a cartel murder on a Mr. Mime. We got Dittos posing as humans in all it's horrifying glory. They fucking WENT for it, and I commend that.
Agreed, Detective Pikachu is the only videogame movie in years where I felt like the movie did the source material any justice.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Scott Pilgrim is the best movie.
But the one that felt the most like a video game for me was Ready Player One.
I was honestly expecting to hate it. It was quality turn your brain off entertainment.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Can I cheat and nominate a webisode miniseries? Because Bright Falls, the Alan Wake spin-off from 2010 is by far my favorite live action video game thing.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed RE: Afterlife and Assassin's Creed. Still need to watch the final RE movie, Detective Pikachu, and Tomb Raider.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
My vote is for Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle.

Come on. Best game movie by far complete with repeating dialogue NPCs, references to Street Fighter, and too many other videogame tropes to count.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
The Ace Attorney movie is a really good time. It somehow managed to keep the wackiness the series and its characters is known for while having a pretty dark tone overall. It's a shame it never got a North American release cause I think it's a great adaptation. Definitely my personal favorite game movie overall.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Detective Pikachu was the least bad. Warcraft runner up. The Resident Evil movies are a guilty pleasure of mine. Honestly none of them are good movies. Still waiting.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Love gaming and film but I've somehow gone this entire decade without watching a single [new] video game movie. Unless the [unofficial] Uncharted short film counts, in which case it gets my vote

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
The Ace Attorney movie is a really good time. It somehow managed to keep the wackiness the series and its characters is known for while having a pretty dark tone overall. It's a shame it never got a North American release cause I think it's a great adaptation. Definitely my personal favorite game movie overall.

I will vote for this, thank you for reminding me it happened this decade.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the Scott Pilgrim movie but I'm not sure if counts as a video game movie, I mean it's a comic adaptation after all.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
i know it was 08 but still love the meme. Replace with Death Stranding or something

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Adaptations? Ace Attorney and Detective Pikachu. Both brought it. Both told great stories while being faithful to the source material.

VG Inspired? Edge of Tomorrow. I loved that movie.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Out of that list, Pikachu is by far and wide the only decent choice in a pile of literal shit.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I hate that rampage is ashamed of its heritage but it would be either that or detective Pikachu. I'm looking forward to whatever follows detective up

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
From that list I would pick Prince of Persia.

Assassin's Fist was a pretty good Live action attempt.

But if we don't count Live action then Netflix Castlevania is the best Video game adaptation by far.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
RESIDENT EVIL RETRIBUTION, without a doubt.

AFTERLIFE is also great, but Retribution is probably one of the best genre films released this decade, so that one for sure.

If you still hate Paul WS Anderson you gotta stick to video games and not movies

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Prince of Persia was a decent blockbuster, but it lost a lot of the charm of the game

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought both tomb raider and detective pikachu were alright! I enjoyed both of them. Cant speak for the others as i usually avoid game based films like the plague

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
The entire Resident Evil franchise, and it's not at all a close race for me

URKusZi.gif