• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
Isabelle from Animal Crossing

7FQlk4k.png

Her head is also shaped like a bag of bells

I still cant believe I missed that while playing the game x_x

...her head is the same shape as the Switch puppy controller (joycon + grip)... can someone photoshop her eye a little lower?

cozyduck

Oct 28, 2017
The Dreamcast entry was always fairly weak, if you're curious its the Sega CD versions of the first entry and The Tides of Time that are worth checking out, they both have improvements over their Genesis counterparts like re-balanced difficulty, additional checkpoints, several additional levels, FMV cutscenes and absolutely incredible soundtracks.

I disagree. Although a lot of people were (rightly) disappointed that rather than build upon the lore & plot of the genesis games Defender of the Future went in a completely different direction, I think the new plot was still interesting enough, and the game managed to beautifully recreate the sense of mystery and wonder of the older games. Tim Follins DotF soundtrack is also a masterpiece, even more so then Nilsens work on the Sega CD. Some may criticize DotF for being often quite difficult and obtuse, but then again, so are the genesis games. Admittedly, the final act of the game is definitely a disappointment, but this doesn't undermine the 20 hours prior to it. I think everyone who is interested in Ecco not only due to nostalgia should try all three main games rather than limit themselves only to the genesis ones.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sorry I'm late with these, I just found this thread.

Also the walls aren't really walls, it's just one brick sprite repeated.

Walls made of bricks? What insane sorcery is this!? :)

(If it wasn't a joke post I admit I don't know what walls you're talking about. You mean the castles at the end of each stage?)

The msx line of computers typically had multiple cartridge slots, and konami games usually took advantage of this. For example, if you placed gradius in cart slot 1, and hideo kojima's penguin adventure in slot 2, it would open a hidden mode that lets you play gradius as penguin adventure's main character, pentaro. This hidden mode wound up inspiring parodius.

This is amazing, thanks for sharing.

Tails' flight in Sonic 3 works not by applying an upward force, as you would expect (and how jumping normally works in that game), but by reversing gravity (so you "fall" upwards) every time you press A while in the air.

Actually, applying a force (which results in an acceleration) is exactly what gravity does (both in real life and in games), so that method would be unique precisely in that it is applying a force: (g, just upwards instead of downwards), as opposed to jumping which is typically not done by applying a force but rather by instantly changing the object's speed (you want the character to immediately start moving upwards, rather than accelerate upwards over time).
(/pedantic)

Last edited:

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
The original Playstation is the only Sony system (console or handheld) that didn't get FIFA 14. It was released on the other 5.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Team Chaotix special attack in Sonic Heroes is a music concert :
latest

This is a reference to a scraped idea from the first Sonic game, the game was supposed to have a sound test mode with the sonic band playing, Vector the Crocodile comes from this scraped idea :

Sadly, all the other band members died in a terrible car accident

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
up up down down left right left right b a start

will always have a special place in my heart

also, a b b a in akari warriors

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
There's an official merchandise of Mario swearing gratuitously. Came from soundtrack booklet of 1980s animated film.

iI1WOw7h.jpg

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
In Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Professor Oak will give you five Pokeballs if you follow some very specific criteria. Without catching any Pokemon, evolving your starter, buying any Pokeballs at the store, or heading into Viridian Forest, you have to defeat your rival on Route 22 and then head all the way back to Oak for this scene:

NOYfZOr.png

tjVSK35.png

2RmYenI.png

nEFCVPx.png

e7uLvnj.png

Also, in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal, if you want to toggle Daylight Savings Time on/off, you have to talk to your mom, who will do it for you because she has the instruction booklet. However, if you try to exploit this by doing so at a time that would result in the day of the week changing, this happens:

sEoawYc.png

7xwdt6Q.png

q8SWvM0.png

Cute way around a potentially game-crashing problem, though it also means Mom is doomed to lose that thing for exactly one hour each night. :P

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
This is a reference to a scraped idea from the first Sonic game, the game was supposed to have a sound test mode with the sonic band playing, Vector the Crocodile comes from this scraped idea :

Sadly, all the other band members died in a terrible car accident
That rooster needs to make a comeback immediately.
Yes, yes! But I think it's a hen? I can see it already. Sonic Mania 2 & Hen.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
In Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Professor Oak will give you five Pokeballs if you follow some very specific criteria. Without catching any Pokemon, evolving your starter, buying any Pokeballs at the store, or heading into Viridian Forest, you have to defeat your rival on Route 22 and then head all the way back to Oak for this scene:

NOYfZOr.png

tjVSK35.png

2RmYenI.png

nEFCVPx.png

e7uLvnj.png

Also, in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal, if you want to toggle Daylight Savings Time on/off, you have to talk to your mom, who will do it for you because she has the instruction booklet. However, if you try to exploit this by doing so at a time that would result in the day of the week changing, this happens:

sEoawYc.png

7xwdt6Q.png

q8SWvM0.png

Cute way around a potentially game-crashing problem, though it also means Mom is doomed to lose that thing for exactly one hour each night. :P

Jesus...

Mega Man X's family was as followed:

Dr. Thomas Light (Creator and Father)
Mega Man, Cut Man, Bomb Man, Guts Man, Elec Man, Ice Man, Bomb Man, Plug Man, Hornet Man, Jewel Man, Galaxy Man, Concrete Man, Magma Man, and Tornado Man (Older Brothers)
Proto Man (Oldest Brother)
Roll and Splash Woman (Sisters)
Rush, Beat, and Tempo (Pets)

Also, X is 5'3 as well as opposed to his best friend and partner Zero, who's 5'9. =D

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The launch of original Xbox in Japan was torpedoed by the fact that at the same day ToHeart 2 X-Rated was released, which was a PC version of older dating sim, with eroge scenes added in. The pictures with huge crowds and long lines for eroge contrased with barely anyone for Xbox launch were hilarious :D

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Secret of Evermore has a special bit for people who put their name in as "FUCK". And it's the only swear word that triggers it.

1syHh3Z.png
QvKLrCC.png
PNy8BJ3.png
Oh damn, i never knew that this is awesome!

I posted this in the old thread but might as well bring it back here for a new era.

EoidtHe.png

Quistis wears pants over shoes not knee high boots. It's nothing major but I know a lot of people who mistake her as wearing knee high boots.
Wait what? No way!

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
That all PS3's can play PS1 games.
However, PS3 Slims can't play PS2 games. What pisses me off the most about this is that if you put a PS2 disc in it says 'This console cannot play PS2 software'. So it recognises that it's a PS2 game but refuses to let you play it. :/ Since working PS2 controllers are so hard to come by, this means that all my games are collecting dust.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to check that one too!

I remember some devs saying that loading times on Playstation 1 where longer intentionally.
If this was to reduce the wear and tear on the disc reading laser, then I can understand it.

A good fact related to that is how Crash Bandicoot 1 streamed textures in such a way that he game was constantly reading from the disc, and it was reading to a level that was way beyond Sony's limit for what they would allow to be published.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
However, PS3 Slims can't play PS2 games. What pisses me off the most about this is that if you put a PS2 disc in it says 'This console cannot play PS2 software'. So it recognises that it's a PS2 game but refuses to let you play it. :/ Since working PS2 controllers are so hard to come by, this means that all my games are collecting dust.

that's probably because of the fact that one of the earlier PS3 models was backwards compatible with PS2 games, it was hardware based so they took it out in order to drop the systems price since that wasn't the best time for the PS3

the system being able to identity PS2 games is probably just a leftover

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

kid me somehow did this most of the time so i always had ingrained in my head that you always get 5 free pokeballs in the start every gen and was surprised when people kept saying "well, except in gen I"

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
08b.jpg

These are the original/very early Inkling designs before they got their iconic humanoid look.
a34.jpg

Early Squid Sisters (Callie & Marie) designs trying different outfits and styles. (current ones are there too!)
a54.jpg

Very early Squid Sisters designs.

I do truly wonder tho, if the Squid Sisters are in any way based or inspired on/by the Mario Brothers a bit? They truly feel like female versions of them in another world. I know they are cousins but still :P

Edit: the first and last pic blows my mind ofcourse those Squid Sisters designs are totally different:P and those original Inkling designs truly do look funny in a way glad we got the human like ones with the squid form as a cool swim/run mechanic.

By the way the names Callie & Marie are a pun of Calimari squid rings (food), wich in Splatoon 2's story Marie actually realises.

Inklings also seem to eat Squid Rings wich make them either be cannibals or maybe they just eat their cut of tentacles from haircuts wich probably just regrow or regenerate.

Last edited:

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still baffled that it took me so long to catch the Miles Prower (Miles per hour) reference of Sonic 2. (20 years)

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
The floppy drive for the commodore 64 used an asynchronous data transfer design, and as such had its own cpu inside to handle this transfer. The cpu for the floppy drive for the c64, in fact, wound up being faster than the cpu in the main computer, and developers, especially demoscene artists, would wind up using the floppy drive as a math co processor to do 3d math with. Hence, some software requires a floppy drive present even if the software itself doesnt run off of a floppy.

Wow, did not know that, very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember back when Chrono Trigger came out, there were game genie codes that would activate unused music such as Battle 2 and Singing Mountain if you triggered a certain part of the game.

Holy shit, thats what that was? I actually stopped playing the game back then because it creeped me out way too much.

City under flying fortress in final (before epilogue) story mission in Wolfenstein 2 is prerendered video.

Thats pretty cool. I was admiring the view on that, never noticed

Last edited:

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
This post made me laugh really hard.

But it's kinda true: https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...-encounters-for-a-woman-and-a-dolphin/372606/

In Super Monaco GP for Megadrive you can hit the flagman and see him flying away.

I forget the exact specifics (I think it's if you hit the flagman in both races of arcade mode?) the driver will be lifting his own head instead of a trophy at the end.

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
Toby Fox hid a meta narrative in Undertale within the game files. People have pieced together a backstory for some of the characters that led to some major events.

I was stunned. Playing with a narrative medium that way and finding new ways to tell stories inspires me.

Yuri

Oct 27, 2017
e682499eab740985eae98cd4a641b298--camera-super.jpg

I thought this was pretty funny!

Sayaka and Leon; since they were used as the female and male bases that all the other designs were derived from, the designers had to keep coming back to them, and they got sick of them and killed them both in the first chapter.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
By reusing the assets of Ocarina of Time, it only took 1 year to make Majora's Mask.
By reusing assets from Xenoblade Chronicles X which took 5 years to make (which is notorious for lacking the same narrative focus as 1) Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was finished in just 2 years.
Same with Mass Effect 2 and 3 and IIRC, Ratchet 3. A lot of 2s and 3s in a series have shorter development cycles becaues the technology, basic mechanics and assets have been made.