• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 17, 2017
What are some examples of classical music being used in video games? I'm obsessed with this rendition of Franz Liszt's Liebestraum from Pandora's Tower:

The theme gets used a lot throughout the game as its the song one of the main characters , Elena, sings many times in the game. The best part about the final boss theme is that
Elena is possessed by the final boss and as you progress through the battle, her voice gradually joins the song and becomes the dominate voice (as you can hear in the second half of this video.)

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
Parodius games have very video gamey versions of classical music as their soundtrack, lovely stuff

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does this count? Asura's Wrath, Symphony no.9 in E minor by Dvorak

Edit: DAMN IT, beaten

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
In Fatal Fury 2 the final boss stage has a symphonic orchestra in the background performing Dies Irae.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The whole soundtrack of The End is Nigh is made of arranged classical themes and it's pretty great

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Mario & Sonic series is full of the stuff for its various skating and gymnastic routines.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently fights in space must use Dvorak because Killer Is Dead also uses it, like the aforementioned Asura's Wrath.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the time to look them up, but I remember the Mario DDR game on the gamecube had a bunch of classical music in the game.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Fatal Fury 2/Special/The King of Fighters 96
Tetris NES/Tetris Worlds
Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance (Fantasia World)

All of these games have classical music.

Oct 27, 2017
We could have a thread just based on the best video game version of Dvorak's New World Symphony! Though I'm not sure what could beat this ska version from Boom Boom Rocket.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Some vintage ones which sprang to mind immediately. Hope you're ready for the Speccy beeper!

Okay, how about a rather better Blue Danube?

Manic Miner also had the Night On Bald Mountain

And the sequel Jet Set Willy had a much, much better attempt at the Moonlight Sonata

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, there's more from Matt Smith. In-game in Jet Set Willy there's a rendition of If I Was A Rich Man:

Wanted: Monty Mole plays a blast of Abide With Me when you lose a life:

I'm sure there's more, but I've got a mental block right now.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of the interpretation in the OP, sorry, but those midi versions of human voices are super bad.

Here is Debussy: passepied from Suite Bergamesque, as used in Castlevania.

Ordinary Rock

Jan 5, 2019
In FF IV, one of the dancing girls danced to Khachaturian's Sabre Dance.

The Velvet Room in Persona 2 used a few classical tunes.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
maybe not quite what you're looking for, but the Drankengard soundtrack is built almost entirely out of classical music samples and is one of my favorite OSTs of all time. It's wild recognizing bits and pieces of other pieces in the chaos:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
That time Mitsuda did an arrangement of Greensleeves:

The original intended Title Screen music for The Legend of Zelda:

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Some recent games:
* Goose Game (uses music by Satie and others)
* Sayonara Wild Hearts (Starts with a slight remix of "Claire de Lune")