• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Let's just see a how a next gen title handles.

Don't really care about using a PS4 game for this, it's nice marketing. Although I hope they take advantage of these speeds in backwards compatibility mode for all titles.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
That's cool but Spiderman is a current gen game.
What will happen with next gen games ?(highter res textures etc)

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I wonder to what extent developers will be limited by the possibility of user replaceable storage, or whether this simply implies that you will only be able to use certified top spec ssds, or perhaps even just not have user replaceable storage at all. External drives might be out too.
They never expanded themselves thinking user might have better hdd / ssd. They wont limit themselves with ssd. People replace hard drivers are isnt even big enough to be %1 playerbase

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's an SSD allright.

About time. I was so disappointed when I installed one on my PS4...

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
From waiting 20mins for my C64 cassettes to load only for them to crash.......to less than a second.......gaming sure has come a long way,lol.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Well let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. That's a PS4 game running on more powerful hardware. How much more powerful is still up in the air (for we the customers).

I fully expect Sony first party studios to use the new hardware to reduce load times, and provide smoother experiences but the cynic in me reminds me that the big third party publishers will just use it to pack more pixels we'll have similar load times to the current console.

Hope I'm wrong on that last one.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool but Spiderman is a current gen game.
What will happen with next gen games ?(highter res textures etc)

What will happen will be a huge shift in how certain genres are created and presented. Look at what SSDs have done for PC gaming. Now imagine that's the BASELINE moving forward. Next gen exclusive titles (meaning exclusively for PS5 and the next Xbox, 2021+ games) developed FOR SSDs and modern CPUs are going to do things fundamentally impossible on current gen systems. It isn't a case of simply using powerful hardware to brute force performance like PCs do right now, games as a whole are about to jump up a notch. The CPU and the HDD both making big leaps at the same time can potentially make for the biggest jump in game design we've seen since the PS2 -> 360 transition.

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The cynic in me thinks we'll still see loading times, but maybe not like the horrendous ones in Days Gone.

Might be someting wrong with your harddrive? Like I said in my previous post:

What? The loading times on my Pro are really excellent in Days Gone. Only longer loading is when I boot the game up cold. But everything after that is surprisingly fast. Especially the fast traveling surprises me againg every time.

Also the loading after dying and sleeping is pretty short.

Jan 21, 2019
This could be a godsend for future fighting games. Imagine getting into the fight instantly.
I imagine it like this. First you pick the stage and it immediately materializes in the background than you pick the characters and the just jump in from the sides, press fight and the HUD for choosing stuff disappears and the countdown starts, 3 2 1 fight.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
so that fly through, the pro version stopped every few seconds to load right?

hmm, wonder how developers will design around having load speeds that fast

this could do wonders for pop-in at least
Well for one thing, a lot of open world games that have driving/flying mechanics wont be handicapping the speeds of the vehicles to avoid sever pop-in issues.
So that's already a game changer.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That video still showed hitching even in the PS5 version. It would be much better if the level could actually fit into RAM or a better streaming engine that shows 0 hitches.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Youi all are going to like these fast load times. I've been enjoying them on my pc for a while now. SSD makes a big difference. Wait and see!

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Youi all are going to like these fast load times. I've been enjoying them on my pc for a while now. SSD makes a big difference. Wait and see!
Yeah,the difference now is that games can be built with SSD load times in mind now rather than just boosting load times.

Like 8 years ago Intel and Ubusoft showed that with an SSD your horse could be programmed to move faster in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood because data could be loaded into memory faster:

https://youtu.be/jHrqlV00sLY

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Is this going to put load times on console ahead of on PC because of properly making use of hard drive speeds?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It says under development which bodes well for retroactively working on games to take advantage of the new hardware.

I think it'll be a godsend for a number of current games. When you think of Soulsborne games where dying is a part of the process being able to load back into the game in a couple of seconds rather than 30 will be a huge boon. Same with stuff like Days Gone that currently takes me around 4.5 mins to load from scratch.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I pray to the Sony gods that this is the case. The vita may be dead, but portable sony lives on!
Off topic but if Sony focus on wireless VR in some form then the tech required for that would also mean they could do a Wii U style console to portable screen setup. It's probably optimistic to think they would do this but it would be a cool option to have. A separate Remote Play unit that's basically a screen with controllers built in and a wireless receiver for lag free game play. Since there's no processing on board it could actually be fairly cheap.

Yeah won't happen, but if they can do wireless VR then the tech is there to do just that.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Holy shit, that fly through was fast. I'm excited to see how Insomniac can handle that tech.

I looking so forward to shorter loading times too, the Days Gone loading is unbearable.
Days Gone main problem aren't the loading , but the huge ass struttering and freezing due to data streaming.

That game will be THE benchmark for PS5 SSD, if they bother to support the game on the next gen.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I like it

source.gif

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Off topic but if Sony focus on wireless VR in some form then the tech required for that would also mean they could do a Wii U style console to portable screen setup. It's probably optimistic to think they would do this but it would be a cool option to have. A separate Remote Play unit that's basically a screen with controllers built in and a wireless receiver for lag free game play. Since there's no processing on board it could actually be fairly cheap.

Yeah won't happen, but if they can do wireless VR then the tech is there to do just that.
I would love for something like this. With new console details being so scarce, I'm not totally dismissing this as a possibility.

It's a distant possibility, but still. I have hope!

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Game designers must be quite happy about this.
They might be able to do levels without tight holes for characters squeeze trough, slow door lifting or strange vinding tunnel..

There should be some awesome possibilities for game persistence and saving changes to areas and so on.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Watch the video in this thread and see how they had to design around the speed limitation. Now extrapolate how this can affect how games are designed in the next generation.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/marvels-spider-man-a-technical-postmortem-from-gdc.117383
Yeah I understand but large PC games are made without these limitations, so what's the huge change that Sony's doing it now. I mean honestly sure load times will be quicker or non existent but with more speed the scope increases and the load times will just come back tbh.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I understand but large PC games are made without these limitations, so what's the huge change that Sony's doing it now.

Sincere question - are there many or any PC games today that require a SSD at a minimum?

I mean honestly sure load times will be quicker or non existent but with more speed the scope increases and the load times will just come back tbh.

For load times bound by I/O read speed, they should not come back to the same extent. Accounting for an increase in memory capacity to 16GB or 24GB would still yield a I/O to memory-capacity ratio that's 2.5-3.3x better than last gen (if we take a rough 10x increase in IO bandwidth at face value).

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Yeah I understand but large PC games are made without these limitations, so what's the huge change that Sony's doing it now. I mean honestly sure load times will be quicker or non existent but with more speed the scope increases and the load times will just come back tbh.
There's another thread right now that would call you crazy for saying that.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting to see how it handles current gen games but curious how it handles games made for next gen hardware.