• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
This doesn't mean much to me until the console is released and it's operating like this in my hands.

For all we know this is just a PC made of up similar spec-like parts but not the actual product. Also it's running a "last-gen" title.

It's still very impressive though, I would love load times so low they don't even count.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
This has such cool implications for narrative game design. Fewer load corridors, no unnecessary walk and talks, you might only need to pre-render some establishing shots while the fast load does the whole scene transition.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's going to be big and if the PS5 is backwards compatible then a whole bunch of older games are going to become much better.

Just thinking how good this'll be for online gaming too, specifically for loading in textures and geometry, it's already making this gen feel dated.

Yeah, going back to a HDD after using a SSD is just impossible. I've tried with my PC and my brother's PC who has a SSD and mine feels so sluggish in comparison...

Amazing thing is, this isn't even something I knew I wanted or was on my radar, but now it's a killer feature.

This has such cool implications for narrative game design. Fewer load corridors, no unnecessary walk and talks, you might only need to pre-render some establishing shots while the fast load does the whole scene transition.

No more Naughty Dog pallets and ladders!

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I just imagined GTA Online with a second of load times

I just imagined selecting my character in a fighting game and hearing ROUND 1 FIGHT after 0.83 seconds

bruh

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
The Spider-Man post mortem was very interesting. They only stream ~20MB/s and that's taking into account having to have a safety for people running lower spec hard drives. Even a low end SSD in PS5 would be a massive step up.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Also gameplay, developers will be able to let you travel through the world at much greater speeds. In a game like GTA6 we might actually see airplanes fly at the speed an airplane would fly.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I just imagined GTA Online with a second of load times

I just imagined selecting my character in a fighting game and hearing ROUND 1 FIGHT after 0.83 seconds

bruh
with fighting games i was thinking how snappy the experience would be

go from the menu, to matchmaking/training mode, mess around in that til a match connects, instantly jump into character select, and boom

the longest waiting time would be for matchmaking, it would cut down on a lot of the clutter

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing thing is, this isn't even something I knew I wanted or was on my radar, but now it's a killer feature.

Most players aren't used to fast load times and for them, this is gonna be a killer feature as you said. I hope Xbox also includes a SSD, because it's gonna be hard for them this generation if they don't.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
PC versions finally saved from developers putting game tips (or even worse, lore/plot information) in loading screens that disappear faster than anyone can read them.

SSDs are cool stuff and very useful.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Good improvement. But is kinda lame showing this with a PS4 game.
Let's not forget the nex gen games will have larger assets such as higher res textures and way more objects on a typical urban scene.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
SSD and more ram baby

Don't discount CPU improvements. It's a big factor.

That fly through was insane, hopefully no more pop in next gen?

Look at the background while it's lagging on Pro, you can see buildings popping in while it lags

Depends on programming. No matter how fast my PC is I get pop in on some games, because the draw distance is pre-set. It should be feasible depending on priorities though.

I wonder how PC games will be affected with PS/Xbox games being built around Nvme drives while on PC they're not standard. Hopefully the engine makers / platform holders do the heavy lifting for the developers.

You can get a 1TB NVMe for $100. If you are gaming on PC and have all the other hardware needed to play the next gen games an SSD is already a no brainier. Like who is running a GTX 1070+ without an SSD? I have an older/slower 256GB SSD, but a 1TB NVMe for $100 is a cheap and very worthwhile upgrade even outside of gaming.

Nov 8, 2017
I wonder to what extent developers will be limited by the possibility of user replaceable storage, or whether this simply implies that you will only be able to use certified top spec ssds, or perhaps even just not have user replaceable storage at all. External drives might be out too.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that was crazy. the most next gen thing ive ever seen and that includes that MGS2 demo and KZ shadowfall reveal.

the gameplay possibilities are endless. we can finally have a superman game now. GTA planes wont have to fly super slow. we can probably go from vice city to liberty city on a plane in less than a 5 minutes of gametime flying.

just amazing.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Most players aren't used to fast load times and for them, this is gonna be a killer feature as you said. I hope Xbox also includes a SSD, because it's gonna be hard for them this generation if they don't.

It's has been heavily rumored to also have an SSD but MS themselves haven't said anything about it yet and if it is real we don't know if it'll be as fast as Sony's solution. So now we play the waiting game (and that game has the longest loading time of all 🙄)

This presentation has me super hyped for the possibilities from devs next gen. I was already pumped up from the Wired article description but actually seeing it play out is fucking fantastic.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That speeding through the city part was super impressive. Being able to zoom around that fast in real time without any noticeable asset loading/pop-in. Wow.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's nice.

But how are these loading times going to look when you're not running last-gen games.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
What I dont get is: if I change the SSD for a regular HDD, it will affect the gameplay in ways that nowadays doesnt, right?

So if I have a PS5, I will only be able to upgrade my storage for an SSD?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It will be great to have SSDs for next gen consoles, but it is kinda embarrassing to have load times be the next gen hype. I hope Xbox has something more interesting to say at E3 than that.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
That's nice.

But how are these loading times going to look when you're not running last-gen games.

This shouldn't be hard to picture. You're pretty much moving data from the disk to memory. Think about what you might speculate might be the total amount of memory for the PS5 and extrapolate from there.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be great to have SSDs for next gen consoles, but it is kinda embarrassing to have load times be the next gen hype. I hope Xbox has something more interesting to say at E3 than that.

It's huge though, it could eliminate load times, remove pop in or texture loading etc.

Plus we have ray tracing which will also be big.

Other than maybe better graphics or more consistent 60fps I don't really know what more you can expect from Xbox.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect MS to offer something similar, it sounds like this is proprietary Sony tech and goes beyond using simply SSD, expecting Sony make a big deal of this edge over the competition.

How is it embarrassing. Load times are one of the worst and most annoying aspect a game can have. Besides, they've also said next gen audio is coming, and there's gonna be the generational leap in graphics, which we'll see once they announce the games.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's kind of washed out but it's hard to see whether when the PS4Pro hitches do those buildings (scene geometry and textures) load in right in front of our eyes?

And not to belittle this tectonic upgrade, a generation upgrade, however, would next gen assets also not increase in size? Or is it that it will still not be a large enough of an increase to adversely affect the outcome to the point of what loading has been on this gen's systems with 5400RPM stock drives?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

As someone who peruses and contributes to the speculation thread, this post is embarrassing.

It is not about load times alone. You should go and watch Spider-man's GDC breakdown to get an understanding why SSD (or eUFS or NVMe) allied to CPU that is orders of magnitude better than Jaguar is a game changer for streaming assets and draw calls and how they go together.

Here's a figure for you- 20MB/s, that is what the streaming budget was during gameplay segments of Spiderman because Insomniac had to speculate worst case scenario for people who might swap their already non-stellar 5400RPM 32MB cache stock drives with something worse.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
If ps5 is that powerful, how are they keeping the price down? :<
Don't wanna see no goddamn 599 shit ever again

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
This will be a godsend for Bethesda Game Studios. At least, their games won't be plagued with pop ins and in-game loading due to the game not being proficient enough at loading assets and textures fast.

This'll also be pretty spectacular for all Open World games next gen, speaking from a general stand point.

I rather Sony goes all out in CPU, Ram and fast memory while cutting back on GPU Flops, as those areas will be the fundamental pillars that will truly give us the next-generation "feel".

Last edited: