• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
dynamically changing environments might get a huge upgrade from this i would imagine, along with real time weather effects

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Days Gone would just massively benefit from the jump in asset streaming ability. I really hope Bend gets to do a Days Gone 2.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks to this, I hope in Horizon 2, we'll be able to ride a flying machine to travel with high graphic quality

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Very fast loading times are among us .
Also can wait to see what devs to with SSD when comes to open world games.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201905/19-045E/index.html

Sony said:
  • The two keywords for the future direction of PlayStation® are "immersive" and "seamless."
    • Next-generation console: "Immersive" experience created by dramatically increased graphics rendering speeds, achieved through the employment of further improved computational power and a customized ultra-fast, broadband SSD.
    • PlayStation streaming: Through the evolution of "Remote Play" and "PlayStation™Now," provide a seamless game experience anytime, anywhere.
      • Remote Play: Turns PlayStation®4(PS4™), which is expected to reach 100 million units in cumulative sales this calendar year, into a streaming game server, providing streaming content at the closest point to users.
      • PlayStation Now: Provides immersive game experiences to users regardless of whether they own a PS4 console at all.
  • Sony will pursue its mission to make PlayStation "The Best Place to Play" by leveraging the latest computing, streaming, cloud, and 5G technologies, together with excellent content.
    • As part of these efforts, Sony agreed to a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) to collaborate on the development of cloud solutions, including game streaming services.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I just think about whole new gameplay implementations possible now that loading is near instantaneous. You could have two playable characters at the opposite ends of a huge city and switch seamlessly between them. Or let's say a Superman game where you're literally fighting across the city, or a continent, being punched from city to city.. I dunno, it's pretty freeing and we'll see some neat usages of this from big developers, stuff we can't even imagine right now.
I maybe wrong, but it's not like current gen console cant reach that next gen Spider-Man speed, right? It's just that current gen can't do that while looking as good as Spider-Man.

If insomniac reduce the graphics enough, they probably could reach the same speed on ps4? Am I understanding it, right?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
open world games next gen should be interesting

are ps5 kits with some devs already? i wonder if ubisoft is messing around what they can push

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I maybe wrong, but it's not like current gen console cant reach that next gen Spider-Man speed, right? It's just that current gen can't do that while looking as good as Spider-Man.

If insomniac reduce the graphics enough, they probably could reach the same speed on ps4? Am I understanding it, right?

They could probably make it go even faster if the game used stick men for graphics, sure.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SSD is gonna be a game changer, it'll be near impossible to go back and revisit older consoles after this.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
SSD is gonna be a game changer, it'll be near impossible to go back and revisit older consoles after this.

Yeah, going back to a HDD after using a SSD is just impossible. I've tried with my PC and my brother's PC who has a SSD and mine feels so sluggish in comparison...

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow I never even consider that loading times might become a thing of the past within gaming.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
at the eventual PS5 reveal I imagine we will see a demo similar to this, but probably with a few more details, and will likely show it off in more than just spider-man

Natsunoyuutsu

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. Even bigger and ambitious games could now be possible because of this.
Hope the technology can also improve older titles. It would be great to revisit many ps1 games without going through loading time.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
By older I meant more than just PS4.

PS3 would be pretty damn sweet.
im pretty convinced we're shit outta luck when it comes to PS3, unless they worked some sort of emulator magic that won't jack up the price of the ps5. the best they might be able to do is the ps3 streaming through Now, maybe if you have the disc you can stream it for free? i dunno

im more hopeful for ps2/1 support tho

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid question, but are SSD's mainly just for load times?

Like, lets say PS5 has standard HDD's, what would change? Just wait longer for games to load?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im pretty convinced we're shit outta luck when it comes to PS3, unless they worked some sort of emulator magic that won't jack up the price of the ps5. the best they might be able to do is the ps3 streaming through Now, maybe if you have the disc you can stream it for free? i dunno

im more hopeful for ps2/1 support tho

Yeah, good point. It's nice to dream though.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here

Like, lets say PS5 has standard HDD's, what would change? Just wait longer for games to load?
load times, i think also render times that cause pop-in for objects and textures

probably some other stuff

im not tech savvy

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
thinking about how much more dense the city is going to be in SM2 in addition to the increased swing speed, animation variety, and overall visual fidelity (maaaaybe 60 FPS with the dramatic increase in CPU power?)

could be the GOAT superhero game

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

Check out the Spider-Man post-mortem on YouTube. HDD's slow data bandwidth means you're limited by how much you can load at a time, so that affects how fast Spider-Man can traverse and how the game itself is designed in general. It affects much more than just load times.

If you took out the PS5 SSD and replaced it with an HDD, the game wouldn't run, because it'd be designed for I/O that's magnitudes faster. It's a game changer because it literally changes game design.