• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Most games cost $60 these days, and if you want to play a lot of them, that can add up quickly. It's one reason why many players turn to third-party online stores, where they can buy Nintendo games for cheap instead of buying them from Nintendo directly.
This is exactly what's happened to a number of Switch owners. They bought a code for a Switch game from Gameflip, an online marketplace where anyone can sell codes and other digital items. Shortly after, they discovered that Nintendo banned their Switch account, preventing them from accessing not only the game they bought from Gameflip, but all previous purchases. When they contacted Nintendo's customer service department, users were told there was nothing Nintendo could do about it.
Now, according to the updated policy, after someone shows proof of attempting to dispute the original purchase and pursue a refund, Nintendo can lift the ban. This can happen by attempting to get a refund from the seller (or the website where the code was purchased) or disputing the charge with their bank or card holder. The game downloaded with the code will no longer be in the user's library, but they can purchase it again. This policy update also comes with another warning: if the user encounters the problem again, Nintendo will issue a permanent ban.

More at:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why the hell are Nintendo even letting people register fraudulently obtained keys? What a backward system.

Steam lets publishers revoke keys that were obtained fraudulently, and doesn't punish the user beyond revoking access to the game, or if it's not yet been redeemed it makes it invalid for redemption.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would this apply to other platforms or is this an issue exclusive to the eShop? Aren't keys revoked automatically?

edit: So it's Nintendo banning for chargebacks like every other company? The article only touches on this being a Nintendo problem primarily but

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/...scriptions/digital-goods-subscriptions-refund (no info on chargebacks but you can request a refund)

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Why the hell are Nintendo even letting people register fraudulently obtained keys? What a backward system.

Steam lets publishers revoke keys that were obtained fraudulently, and doesn't punish the user beyond revoking access to the game, or if it's not yet been redeemed it makes it invalid for redemption.
It's Nintendo. They're a decade behind in everything online-related.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
nintendo's policies are behind the times again

that said, be careful where you buy keys

any service where random users can put up game keys is going to end up with a bunch of fraud

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
it's almost like fraud is illegal or something and you're better off just buying from official channels.

there's plenty of sales on the nintendo store, never had a problem just waiting for a release, especially with the wantlist thingy. makes it super easy.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
the people who bought that yoshi craft world for a dollar are not gonna like this /'s

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Nintendo's aggressive policing of their services continues to be terrible. Don't see the point when they can just, as noted, revoke access.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't buy from key resellers.
Don't buy from regions you don't reside in, just to take advantage of regional pricing.

Nintendo should just revoke access though. Banning entire Switches is ridiculously nuclear and anti-consumer.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
A permanent ban where you lose access to all of your games is too damn harsh, especially when Nintendo games never drop to reasonable prices.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How does Nintendo know the keys were purchased with a stolen Credit Card (from a third party seller)? Until the charge back is issued it would look like a completely normal transaction.

Last edited:

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
So what was the problem with codes? Stolen or bought with stolen credit cards?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't the other console platform holders do this? I remember reading a while back that Sony banned users for redeeming fraudulent keys as well

The article makes it sound like Nintendo did not have a policy to address chargebacked key sales before, likely in large part because of the region locked nature of their past systems making such policies effectively unnecessary, but now has a policy in place to deal with it in line with other platform holders. That seems perfectly reasonable to me

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
The buyer redeems that code on Nintendo's eShop, and in short order, starts playing away. Everyone is happy. But at some point, if the code was initially bought with a stolen credit card and the owner of that credit card issues a chargeback, Nintendo flags the code as illegitimate and suspends the account that redeemed it.

So like literally every platform does.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy keycodes from grey markets that allow users of said market to sell to you.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Would this apply to other platforms or is this an issue exclusive to the eShop? Aren't keys revoked automatically?

edit: So it's Nintendo banning for chargebacks like every other company? The article only touches on this being a Nintendo problem primarily but

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/...scriptions/digital-goods-subscriptions-refund (no info on chargebacks but you can request a refund)

Steam doesn't ban you for activating keys ever. You'll just lose access to content.

Even If you purchase directly from Steam, you'll just get 90 day purchase ban for account, that payment method will be permanently banned though.
(repeat offenders may get more severe punishments though)

Don't buy keycodes from grey markets that allow users of said market to sell to you.

Listen to this wise man.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's almost like fraud is illegal or something and you're better off just buying from official channels.

there's plenty of sales on the nintendo store, never had a problem just waiting for a release, especially with the wantlist thingy. makes it super easy.
Nintendo store sale prices are rarely better than physical copies prices. Digital price outta whack here.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Do all of the console providers ban your accounts if you've redeemed a fraud key? They're gonna have to rethink this as peoples libraries shift entirely to digital. Get with the times.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yikes Nintendo

that's like banning your whole Steam library because you bought a key from somewhere else

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Steam just removes access to the game.
I remember that happening to me years ago with a game I traded TF2 items for
I think I even got my TF2 items back

It may be, yeah. But still, Sony and MS do the same thing on PS and XBL. Tons of other websites do the same thing with chargebacks. This is hardly a Nintendo issue.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this becomes a bigger issue for nintendo is forced to change this horrible stance.

Thanks for the article vice.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
So they can ban them, obviously.
There are a variety of way someone could end up using one of these keys without having any idea it was fraudulently obtained.

How does Nintendo know the keys were purchased with a stolen Credit Card (from a third party seller)? Until the charge back is issued it would look like a completely normal transaction.

Obviously I'm referring to the point at which Nintendo discover a key was frequently obtained, and I am talking about any kind of fraud, not just chargeback fraud.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's stupid to punish the user for a banned key that they bought from a bad seller, obviously, but the lesson here is- buy Switch games used, locally! When I was a Switch owner I just bought used. Nintendo gets none of the money and you don't have to pay $60 for an older game.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Could something like this happen if you buy eshop gift cards on raise?
I imagine the answer is a little bit of yes and no. Yes in that, if you buy a gift card on raise and the original purchaser does a chargeback, Nintendo would probably reprimand you in the same way they would for a purchased game. No in that I believe Raise would cover you with a refund or new card of the same value if that were to happen. So you would get reprimanded and have to deal with Nintendo's customer support but you wouldn't lose the money you spent on the card in the first place.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at the usual "It's Nintendo..." posts when Nintendo aren't the only ones issuing bans for chargebacks.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Good reminder to not buy cheap keys from shady resellers, Only buy games from reputable sources

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool if Nintendo did permanent price drops for first party games that have been out for years. We still don't have a Selects line on Switch.

have they even ever put a $60 Nintendo game on sale for less than $40 on the Switch eshop?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Steam just removes access to the game.
I remember that happening to me years ago with a game I traded TF2 items for
I think I even got my TF2 items back

I don't believe Nintendo has a way to revoke licenses from a system. It's why they don't offer refunds and why many of these people still have access to the stolen game even after account issues.

Since sales from the eShop are instantly tied to the primary system of the account holder that activates it, Nintendo's only recourse is to ban the account of the stolen merchandise.

Since it's not possible for a consumer to purchase a key direct from Nintendo. The only way this particular fraud can take place is for a stolen Credit Card to be used on a third party store/authorized partner [Gamestop/GMG/Walmart/Amazon/Best Buy/etc] since that's the only way to get a key without instant account activation. The fraud would not be detectable by Nintendo and only becomes detectable once the card owner notifies their card services about the stolen card and the transaction is reversed from the authorized third party, then Nintendo would be notified that the key issued is invalid.

Nintendo needs to come up with a way to revoke system licenses (which unfortunately would require online check-ins) to resolve this issue.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The title of the article should read, "people buying stolen game codes are getting banned".
Buying a game from a place selling keys cheaper than the official store is piracy now?
The place (should say people, not place since it's an online marketplace) selling the keys literally stole them.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
It may be, yeah. But still, Sony and MS do the same thing on PS and XBL. Tons of other websites do the same thing with chargebacks. This is hardly a Nintendo issue.

Not chargebacks, Nintendo's policy was permanent bans if you purchase what turned out to be a fraudulent code from someone else (who actually committed the chargeback). I got a code once from cdkeys that Microsoft revoked and gave me a temp suspension, but there's an appeal process and when I showed proof of purchase and that I was disputing it they immediately restored me. Took away access to that game, or course, but I didn't get an account ban. Which seems to be exactly what Nintendo's new policy is.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
this thread was made specifically about nintendo so not really sure why people talking about nintendo bothers you
Because they're silly drive-by posts?
The article is talking about Switch users, but the issue lies in people buying keys from unkown sources. It's a lot more about a grey market than it is about Nintendo's policies.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Because they're silly drive-by posts?
The article is talking about Switch users, but the issue lies in people buying keys from unkown sources. It's a lot more about a grey market than it is about Nintendo's policies.
Agreed, especially since the article says if you can show proof that you weren't the one doing the fraudulent activity, you can be unbanned.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The codes were not fraudulent. They were legitimate codes that were purchased with stolen credit cards. The chargebacks triggered an account ban same as it does on PSN or XBL. Also, as far as I know, Nintendo has not changed their policy. Your account is still banned. You have to reach out to CS and you are at their mercy. When buying third party keys, buyer beware.