• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
The fact they had to reach to COD to make the point, and more than likely wouldn't be able to furnish a single other example of that happening is all that needs to be said, honestly.

Let's see best seller games on PS4 on Amazon

TLOU Remastered
GTA5
Spongebob Squarepants: Battle For Bikini Bottom
Lego Harry Potter Collection
Kingdom Hearts AIO Pakcage

Remastered of last gen games that could have been part of BC. But Sony and 3rd party publishers could make more money releasing the same games instead.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Well holy crap, a game journalist actually taking Sony to task over legacy BC. I need to update my list of times this has happened to... let me see, nope, this is the first. Not counting Time magazine accidentally getting the quote of the year out of Jim Ryan since they're not a gaming focused publication.

The sad thing is PS5 technically has PS2 compatibility considering there are PS2 games on the PS4 store right now.
You wouldn't even know that based on Sony's communication.
It really doesn't as you can't play PS2 games you previously purchased with it, you can only play the ones bought for the PS4. So if you have discs or PS2 Classics for the PS3, it doesn't matter. So from the point of view of "Does Sony have a PS2 emulator?" the answer is yes, but "Does PS4 have PS2 BC?" it's no.
going xbox because ps5 wont play ps1-3 games

GranularResponsibleAquaticleech-size_restricted.gif
Just to give you an idea of how bad things are, the Xbox One and One X have a dev mode, where for $20 you can install third-party unsigned and open-source software. This includes a port of Retroarch meant specifically for Xbox. Presumably the XSX will retain that. Retroarch includes excellent emulators for the PS1 and PSP, as well as an okay one for PS2 (Play!, not PCSX2). And it's possible someone might port PCSX2 and RPCS3 to the Xbox app.

With an XSX in dev mode you could play pretty much every PS1 and PSP game, as well as some PS2 games. With some real work, possibly even most PS2 games and fair number of PS3 games. Unlike the PS5.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Would it need any licensing at all to just play the discs or run the digital copies that are already on PSN without enhancements? It's not an issue for all the PS4 and Xbox One games that are BC on next gen.
Those games run natively on the hardware. For example when you insert a PS4 game disk on PS5 the game will install from the bluray. On Xbox for og Xbox games and 360 games, when you insert a DVD disk of og Xbox or 360, the game is downloaded off MS servers. Xbox one games also run natively, so there is no license issue there.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just to give you an idea of how bad things are, the Xbox One and One X have a dev mode, where for $20 you can install third-party unsigned and open-source software. This includes a port of Retroarch meant specifically for Xbox. Presumably the XSX will retain that. Retroarch includes excellent emulators for the PS1 and PSP, as well as an okay one for PS2 (Play!, not PCSX2). And it's possible someone might port PCSX2 and RPCS3 to the Xbox app.

With an XSX in dev mode you could play pretty much every PS1 and PSP game, as well as some PS2 games. With some real work, possibly even most PS2 games and fair number of PS3 games. Unlike the PS5.

Assuming dev mode is retained, I see no reason why a next-gen Xbox wouldn't be able to emulate the PS3's Demon's Souls. It doesn't take that strong of a computer these days! Hell, you'd be able to run it at 4k/60 most likely.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn´t give a f about BC and old games. I think this is generally accepted at this point.

I think they have put PS4 BC on PS5 just because if not the backlash would have been epic.

it was business decision. PS4 has tons of live service games (that will be played for years to the PS5s lifetime) and huge digital environment. They want PS4 users to move to the PS5 as soon as possible. BC for PS4 makes business sense and was not just some kind of fanservice move towards to the most hardcore crowd (like PS5 having PS3, PS2 and PS1 BC would had been). It was also easier because PS5 is based on same kind of architecture as PS4 so they didn't need to implement hw of the previous consoles to the new console which raises manufacturing costs (PS2 had PS1 hw in it, early PS3s had basically full PS2 inside of them).

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Sony's complete and utter lack of regard for their history (unless they can pay someone like Bluepoint a lot of money to put a shiny-ass filter over it and charge full price, that is) is one of the many reasons I've soured so hard on them as a company in recent years.

You need to stop downplaying the effort being put in by Bluepoint to remake Demon's Souls. Last time you called them a bunch of "random Americans" now you're saying the remake is a "shiny-ass filter".

Honestly, what the fuck are you talking about?

Oct 25, 2017
Also wanting to know if the illegally obtained materials we've been oohing and aahing over in that Nintendo thread are what we want or hope happens to other developers/manufacturers.

For the glory of preservation.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Sony could always license out the work to someone like GOG and let them sell old games on their digital stores if it was solely a resource issue (which is nonsense considering we know the PS4 already has a PS1, PSP and PS2 emulator).

But they won't. They'd rather hold onto everything just in case. Because they're a corporation who doesn't care.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's really comparable. VR asks from the consumer to invest more, on equipment, compatible games, even the room itself. BC is about keeping the value of what you already own. It even is a bit "eco friendly" since it gives the media longer longevity.

Maybe from a corporate perspective they are alike, but I don't think so either. VR is an investment so it makes more sense. As a consumer I care more about the consumer pov anyway though :P

Presumbly most of us are consumers here - for me I'm more enthused by investment in the future of gaming than investment in the past of gaming. Regardless my point isn't that VR is better/worse than BC, or more or less important than BC. At the base level these are great features that appeal to a relatively small number of people. I wish Microsoft invested more in VR in much the same way that people wish Sony invested more in BC, but it's hard for me to see outrage* as reasonable in either case. It just feels like an over-reaction and I think it leads to discussions like this seeming desperately out of touch with how the vast, vast majority of gamers feel.

*not saying you are, but many in this thread certainly are

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You need to stop downplaying the effort being put in by Bluepoint to remake Demon's Souls. Last time you called them a bunch of "random Americans" now you're saying the remake is a "shiny-ass filter".

Honestly, what the fuck are you talking about?

I have explained my point in this thread numerous times. My point is that Sony doesn't care about legacy content unless they can pretty it up and sell it for full price again.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure customers need to want it "above anything else" to get a decent BC plan and see it executed. And to say customers don't care...I don't recall a poll being taken to ask me if I thought it was important or not. Did you take part?
Everyone buying a PS5 (or 4, honestly) has voted they don't care really.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Business cases don't work this way...

Well then what are you saying? It's reading as, "It's not that Sony doesn't care, it's that Sony doesn't think they can make a profit off the feature, so they decided not to care"

Everyone buying a PS5 (or 4, honestly) has voted they don't care really.

Is there another option other than sourcing the old discs and consoles? Don't think you can play PS1-3 games on Xbox or Nintendo, so... not sure what I'm voting for exactly by getting a PS5 or PS4 here... Ridiculous to say that someone can't buy a product and also wish it were better

Jun 23, 2019
Dia knocking it out of the park once again. Fantastic article.

That Sony doesn't care about things beyond what makes them the most money while selling themselves as "for the gamers" is precisely the point of the criticism. Maybe doing only what yields the most return of money is, you know, bad? Maybe other reasons to do things should matter too? We need to start thinking about these things differently. That other companies are also bad (which is indisputable) is true but kind of irrelevant to the matter at hand?

The fact that the only way to really care for game preservation would get you banned on this forum is a sad indictment of the current landscape.

Basically what I'm saying is this shit should be public domain, but, well, that's one of the things well and truly fucked in this hell world of ours.

? What are you talking about?

TLOU Remastered
GTA5

Remastered of last gen games that could have been part of BC. But Sony and 3rd party publishers could make more money releasing the same games instead.

This is dangerous close to PlanetSmasher's notion that all these remasters are just throwing a shiny coat of paint on it and calling it good which is disingenuous as hell.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Also wanting to know if the illegally obtained materials we've been oohing and aahing over in that Nintendo thread are what we want or hope happens to other developers/manufacturers.

For the glory of preservation.
What's happening with Nintendo is terrible for Nintendo, emulator writers, and fans working on certain mods, since the latter two can no longer easily claim their works were clean-room reverse engineered. It has nothing to do with what we're talking about here, since we're literally simply asking Sony to preserve their own platforms.

Oct 25, 2017
I have explained my point in this thread numerous times. My point is that Sony doesn't care about legacy content unless they can pretty it up and sell it for full price again.

Better than what Nintendo will do and without the BS limited time shit. You make it sounds like its the most awful thing to have an updated remastered game rather than playing the ancient one with horrible graphics and archaic controls. The phrasing this as a negative is sad.

I'm sure many people would pay for a full remake of Jax and Daxter, rather than another repackaged collection that works on the PS4.

Oct 26, 2017
lol, This is not how it works if you somehow believe that ports would take the same requires as a new game you must sure be confused about how ports are being created because money is like the least of the problems that Sony has

But that's exactly how it works. You allocate your resources in terms of paying Y amount for enough man hours to produce a product that will make you X amount of profit, and hopefully X is bigger than Y or you just made a poor business choice.

Now, you can spend Y money to produce a brand new game, or you can probably spend the same Y money to port any 50 old games that aren't already ported in some way. Now, let's say the brand new game is Ghost of Tsushima. Will your 50 old games make more profit than that?

But money is not a problem? Spend 100Y and make every new game you can think of AND port every old game. Yay, profit? No, because you also have an audience with a limited amount of time, money and attention, and even if you pushed out 100 times as many games, unless you're also growing your audience 100 times by doing that, you're going to see some very diminishing returns.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Better than what Nintendo will do and without the BS limited time shit. You make it sounds like its the most awful thing to have an updated remastered game rather than playing the ancient one with horrible graphics and archaic controls. The phrasing this as a negative is sad.

I'm sure many people would pay for a full remake of Jax and Daxter, rather than another repackaged collection that works on the PS4.

It's not sad. It hinges on the "rather" part of your sentence. There's no good reason that it should be either or. You should be able to play the original version if you want to, and buy the remaster if you want that instead. And the poster you're quoting is correct: Sony doesn't care about legacy content unless they release a remaster for full price. The proof is that's what they do.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the main frustration I have is that unless you have a launch PS3, you need at least 2 machines just to access the home console games. I'd be fine if they just put out like a PS3 mini that had all of the backwards compatibility of 1, 2, 3, Vita and PSP to be honest.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is there another option other than sourcing the old discs and consoles? Don't think you can play PS1-3 games on Xbox or Nintendo, so... not sure what I'm voting for exactly by getting a PS5 or PS4 here... Ridiculous to say that someone can't buy a product and also wish it were better
I'm sure the powers that be at Sony are aware of people's interest in BC but I'm also sure the next thing they do is point to the millions and millions of PS4s they've sold that don't do that, and millions of sold copies of *such and such* Remastered.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

You won't hear me defending Nintendo's insane time-limited remasters. That's the peak of absurdity in my opinion.

But I don't feel a need to constantly REMAKE everything, as if old games are somehow inherently bad just because they're old. If the only way we're allowed to interact with past games is through full-price remakes at the complete and utter expense of backwards compatibility, I don't see that as a good thing. Too many games get left behind. Too many games just evaporate into nothing because some executive or another didn't think they're worth paying people to "remake".

I would much rather have the ability to revisit any game from my past library than some extremely limited selection of the tiny few games Sony's leadership deems worthy of touching again.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
This is one area Microsoft is absolutely nailing it with regards to the Xbox Series X.
Aside from the already existing 360/OG BC, I'm not seeing how this is a point to make. BC from the current gen is baked into both the XS* and PS5, the XS* benefits from the work done on the One, but that's about it. As it is the OG games added to BC for the one are mostly just things that themselves were already BC with the 360, with a few exceptions both adding and subtracting from the number.

I mean yeah as a flat point of "they're doing this" yes it's good, but saying it in a thread already saying inflammatory things about Sony's strategy..?

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
PlayStation did great work with BC in the past... Considering Ryan is in charge, I had little hope this would change.

The PS5 ought to be powerful enough to emulate PS1-PS3 games... Sony's unwillingness to change their position on this really sucks.

I'm happy MS is pushing this though. It puts pressure on Sony - They shouldn't get complacent!

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The Ps3 was the last time Sony seemed to do much for BC, so can't really say I am surprised they haven't changed their minds. As has been the case for a while now if you want to play old games on one machine then you need to get yourself a PC and even that has some rough patches.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the powers that be at Sony are aware of people's interest in BC but I'm also sure the next thing they do is point to the millions and millions of PS4s they've sold that don't do that, and millions of sold copies of *such and such* Remastered.

OK? This is not a good enough reason to me as a consumer. I couldn't give 2 shits about how much money Sony makes.

And pointing to a console without BC selling well as proof that the feature is pointless is ridiculous.

It's like car manufacturers saying they shouldn't have seatbelts because all the cars before that didn't have seatbelts sold very well and made them a bunch of money. It's moot - they could have a better product, they just choose not to for *reasons*. The reasons don't matter to the consumer who just wants to play old PS games on their new PS console - there's no other option.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
But that's exactly how it works. You allocate your resources in terms of paying Y amount for enough man hours to produce a product that will make you X amount of profit, and hopefully X is bigger than Y or you just made a poor business choice.

Now, you can spend Y money to produce a brand new game, or you can probably spend the same Y money to port any 50 old games that aren't already ported in some way. Now, let's say the brand new game is Ghost of Tsushima. Will your 50 old games make more profit than that?

But money is not a problem? Spend 100Y and make every new game you can think of AND port every old game. Yay, profit? No, because you also have an audience with a limited amount of time, money and attention, and even if you pushed out 100 times as many games, unless you're also growing your audience 100 times by doing that, you're going to see some very diminishing returns.

I genuinely think there is a better case for old games drawing in new people to the ecosystem than a single game in a very crowded genre, like Ghost of Tsushima. Making a robust emulator to sell old games again is also something you can keep earning money off of consistently, and the upfront cost evens out the more games become available for it.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

TLOU Remastered
GTA5

Whats really going to blow your mind is when you look at the top 100 best-selling Xbox One games and see SpongeBob BBB remaster, GTA5, and Lego Harry Potter Collection despite the fact that MS could run them in BC

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018

The point is that there is nothing wrong to have old games available since at the end of the day is different teams that can't do the other thing meaning the people that do new games will never ve involved in ports" also there is always new people that has never played games before, the point is that saying that you don't want ports because it takes away from new games is ridiculous and shows no understanding of how both are made

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely think there is a better case for old games drawing in new people to the ecosystem than a single game, especially one in a very crowded genre like Ghost of Tsushima. Making a robust emulator to sell old games again is also something you can keep earning money off of consistently, and the upfront cost evens out the more games become available for it.

As someone who only played Nintendo and Xbox and didn't have a PS1, PS2 or PS3, the feature would be killer for me. Lots of people who missed those gens and if the PS5 could do to those games what the XSX does to old Xbox games, I'm certain people would be ecstatic about it here. Even the few games I did play from those gens I'd LOVE to play again uprezzed to 4K with potentially better FPS and autoHDR - namely Legend of Dragoon and the GTA "Stories" games. But... you can't. Because Sony.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well holy crap, a game journalist actually taking Sony to task over legacy BC. I need to update my list of times this has happened to... let me see, nope, this is the first. Not counting Time magazine accidentally getting the quote of the year out of Jim Ryan since they're not a gaming focused publication.

It really doesn't as you can't play PS2 games you previously purchased with it, you can only play the ones bought for the PS4. So if you have discs or PS2 Classics for the PS3, it doesn't matter. So from the point of view of "Does Sony have a PS2 emulator?" the answer is yes, but "Does PS4 have PS2 BC?" it's no.

I... Had no idea this was a thing.

What's the name of the app? I'll buy it today.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Jim Ryan doesn't give a shit about anything pre-PS4, and it shows in so many ways. I would trade any number of Last of Uses or Horizons into the abyss if it meant getting a leader who actually values things beyond the latest AAA hits.
Heh, when I worked at SCEE and attended the company conference the year they revealed the PS4, he had a slide comparing it to the PS3 and went on about how beautiful the PS4 was and what a piece of shit the PS3 looked like.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
The funnier part about this thread is people pretending MS has full backwards compatibility by offering a fraction of the Xbox and 360 libraries. Hell, there are more PS2 games available on PS4 than Xbox games available on X1.

Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely think there is a better case for old games drawing in new people to the ecosystem than a single game in a very crowded genre, like Ghost of Tsushima. Making a robust emulator to sell old games again is also something you can keep earning money off of consistently, and the upfront cost evens out the more games become available for it.

Ghost of Tsushima sold 2,4 million in three days. No idea where it's at now, but let's say profit percentages are the same on both a new $60 game and $10 re-releases. To make up the same three day profit, you'd need to sell 14,4 million copies across those 50 ports. That's 288 000 copies. Can you find 50 old titles that consistently sell that much? If nothing else, it's EASIER to just make one big game that sells well.

And even making an emulator to actually run the old code is only part of what goes into putting a game into consumer hands. Like, have you seen the credits for any modern indie? You have like five people making the actual game, then 150 people involved in some way to put it out there. Those people don't spend five years making the game but they damn well need to be paid for their time.

The point is that there is nothing wrong to have old games available since at the end of the day is different teams that can't do the other thing meaning the people that do new games will never ve involved in ports" also there is always new people that has never played games before, the point is that saying that you don't want ports because it takes away from new games is ridiculous and shows no understanding of how both are made

It's still a question of allocating resources. A less experienced studio making ports or writing emulators or whatever still costs money, that could be spent on other things.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The funnier part about this thread is people pretending MS has full backwards compatibility by offering a fraction of the Xbox and 360 libraries. Hell, there are more PS2 games available on PS4 than Xbox games available on X1.
X1 lets you play discs or digital copies you already own, the PS4 does not. Those PS2 games might as well be crappy PS4 ports as far as BC goes.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You won't hear me defending Nintendo's insane time-limited remasters. That's the peak of absurdity in my opinion.

But I don't feel a need to constantly REMAKE everything, as if old games are somehow inherently bad just because they're old. If the only way we're allowed to interact with past games is through full-price remakes at the complete and utter expense of backwards compatibility, I don't see that as a good thing. Too many games get left behind. Too many games just evaporate into nothing because some executive or another didn't think they're worth paying people to "remake".

I would much rather have the ability to revisit any game from my past library than some extremely limited selection of the tiny few games Sony's leadership deems worthy of touching again.

You're getting a lot of heat in this thread, but you're right about everything

The number of remakes we're getting is frustrating, but sadly it's what the people want, and people want safe and boring, not new and exciting.

It's easier to imagine a remake of something you know than it is to imagine a brand new IP, and yes I know Bluepoint are a remake studio, but that doesn't mean the team are incapable of making more exciting games, it just means they tend to only get hired to make remakes thus far. It does the developers at Bluepoint a disservice to assume they can't or don't want to make their own games or new games

I can't think of anything on PS5 less exciting than a remake of a 2009 game I've beaten already. I'd personally have preferred Demon's Souls 2 and a 60fps/4k remaster of Demon's Souls 1

Dec 25, 2018
Killzone Mercenaries seems like it will die with the Vita. MGS4 died with the PS3.

There's still PS2 ports that I really wished were ported to PS4 because it would have been absolutely the best version. Jak for example on PS4 is emulated, and as a result it suffers from emulation issues. The PS3 version in terms of performance is a rock solid 60FPS experience and has minor issues except for a few small bugs. It also visually looks superior because it's a proper remaster. Then on PS3 is the GoW collection as well, which was never ported for some reason. Many people probably will never have a chance to play God of War because they have no easy way to play the game. Or the Sly series, the most accessible version is the HD collection.

It's sad to see that Sony has little regard to preserve such great games.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It's still a question of allocating resources. A less experienced studio making ports or writing emulators or whatever still costs money, that could be spent on other things.

And considering they're the ones releasing 5 NEW first party games along with their new console, I feel like they're making the right call with how they're allocating their resources. Their approach definitely benefits my interests more.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're getting a lot of heat in this thread, but you're right about everything

The number of remakes we're getting is frustrating, but sadly it's what the people want, and people want safe and boring, not new and exciting.

It's easier to imagine a remake of something you know than it is to imagine a brand new IP, and yes I know Bluepoint are a remake studio, but that doesn't mean the team are incapable of making more exciting games, it just means they tend to only get hired to make remakes thus far. It does the developers at Bluepoint a disservice to assume they can't or don't want to make their own games or new games

I can't think of anything on PS5 less exciting than a remake of a 2009 game I've beaten already. I'd personally have preferred Demon's Souls 2 and a 60fps/4k remaster of Demon's Souls 1

Nothing would make me happier than Bluepoint actually being given the permission and budget to develop an entirely new IP (read: not Demon's Souls 2/Bloodborne 2) so we can see how creative they are when left to their own devices.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Whats really going to blow your mind is when you look at the top 100 best-selling Xbox One games and see SpongeBob BBB remaster, GTA5, and Lego Harry Potter Collection despite the fact that MS could run them in BC

Yes, people do buy old games contradicting Jim "Why would anybody play this" Ryan